Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spanikopita Chicken Burgers

Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
as written or is my intuition correct?
http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 11:56:31 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
>
> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
>
> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
>
> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
>
> as written or is my intuition correct?
>
> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498
>

> --
>

> Good Food.
>
> Good Friends.
>
> Good Memories.

I'd work in the white of an egg, if it gives you more confidence. What can it hurt?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:10:23 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Sunday, March 30, 2014 11:56:31 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
> >
> > information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
> >
> > interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
> >
> > together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
> >
> > as written or is my intuition correct?
> >
> > http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498
> >

> I'd work in the white of an egg, if it gives you more confidence. What can it hurt?

Agreed. I can visualize it working with half the spinach or double
the chicken - but not as written, without some sort of binder.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
> as written or is my intuition correct?
> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

Make one see how you like it. Adjust as needed.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:57:14 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:10:23 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, March 30, 2014 11:56:31 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>> > Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
>> >
>> > information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
>> >
>> > interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
>> >
>> > together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
>> >
>> > as written or is my intuition correct?
>> >
>> > http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498
>> >

>> I'd work in the white of an egg, if it gives you more confidence. What can it hurt?

>Agreed. I can visualize it working with half the spinach or double
>the chicken - but not as written, without some sort of binder.

squeezed dry, that spinach is a very small amount. The ground chicken
is pasty to start. I don't see anything wrong with it. I would be
more concerned about the feta. I'd make sure the cheese was very
fine. You may have to form patties and set aside in fridge for a bit
to firm up.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
>> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
>> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
>> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
>> as written or is my intuition correct?
>> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

> Make one see how you like it. Adjust as needed.

Paul, Paul, Paul. You just had to go and say what dozens of us thought as
we scrolled past her post, now didn't you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:15:12 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:57:14 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:10:23 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:

> >> I'd work in the white of an egg, if it gives you more confidence. What can it hurt?

> >Agreed. I can visualize it working with half the spinach or double
> >the chicken - but not as written, without some sort of binder.

> squeezed dry, that spinach is a very small amount. The ground chicken
> is pasty to start. I don't see anything wrong with it. I would be
> more concerned about the feta. I'd make sure the cheese was very
> fine. You may have to form patties and set aside in fridge for a bit
> to firm up.

Thanks. I don't use much feta, but if I use it in that recipe, I'd do
as you recommend and make sure it was very fine. What usually happens
when I see it in a recipe is I either skip it entirely or use a
different cheese - like grated parmesan.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:15:39 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> >> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
> >> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
> >> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
> >> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
> >> as written or is my intuition correct?
> >> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

> > Make one see how you like it. Adjust as needed.

> Paul, Paul, Paul. You just had to go and say what dozens of us thought as
> we scrolled past her post, now didn't you?

In other words, you don't have a clue.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:54:20 PM UTC-4, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional

> > information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds

> > interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking

> > together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work

> > as written or is my intuition correct?

> > http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

> Make one see how you like it. Adjust as needed.
>

> ---

A tub of lard and a mongoloid having a conversation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
>>> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
>>> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
>>> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
>>> as written or is my intuition correct?
>>> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

>> Make one see how you like it. Adjust as needed.

> Paul, Paul, Paul. You just had to go and say what dozens of us thought as
> we scrolled past her post, now didn't you?

Actually tasting the dish before committing it to the meal is definitely in
the advanced category of cooking skills for some.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:09:26 PM UTC-4, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> >> Make one see how you like it. Adjust as needed.

> > Paul, Paul, Paul. You just had to go and say what dozens of us thought as

> > we scrolled past her post, now didn't you?

> Actually tasting the dish before committing it to the meal is definitely in
>
> the advanced category of cooking skills for some.
>

> ---

I blame myself. It took me so long to realize just how simple you are. I always thought it was light-hearted banter. You're actually just stupid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 13:09:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> >> Make one see how you like it. Adjust as needed.

> > Paul, Paul, Paul. You just had to go and say what dozens of us thought as
> > we scrolled past her post, now didn't you?

> Actually tasting the dish before committing it to the meal is definitely in
> the advanced category of cooking skills for some.

Interesting comment. How do you propose to accomplish that - hand the
recipe to someone else and order them to make it for your approval?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:43:25 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 13:09:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>
> wrote:

> > > Paul, Paul, Paul. You just had to go and say what dozens of us thought as

> > > we scrolled past her post, now didn't you?

> > Actually tasting the dish before committing it to the meal is definitely in

> > the advanced category of cooking skills for some.

> Interesting comment. How do you propose to accomplish that - hand the
>
> recipe to someone else and order them to make it for your approval?
>

> --
>

> Good Food.
>
> Good Friends.
>
> Good Memories.

I'm sorry, all I could make out was "MUNCH, MUNCH, CRUNCH, BELCH, GIVE ME MORE FOOD"!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 13:09:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

>> > Paul, Paul, Paul. You just had to go and say what dozens of us thought
>> > as
>> > we scrolled past her post, now didn't you?

>> Actually tasting the dish before committing it to the meal is definitely
>> in
>> the advanced category of cooking skills for some.
>>

> Interesting comment. How do you propose to accomplish that - hand the
> recipe to someone else and order them to make it for your approval?

You take a sample and cook it and see how it tastes. In your case prepare
the full recipe as directed, make one spanikopita, cook it and taste it.
Then change the rest of the mixture as needed. When I am prepapring a dish
for others to eat I will always make a batch for myself first. No guess
work.
..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 18:22:37 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 13:09:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >> Actually tasting the dish before committing it to the meal is definitely
> >> in
> >> the advanced category of cooking skills for some.
> >>

> > Interesting comment. How do you propose to accomplish that - hand the
> > recipe to someone else and order them to make it for your approval?
> >

> You take a sample and cook it and see how it tastes. In your case prepare
> the full recipe as directed, make one spanikopita, cook it and taste it.
> Then change the rest of the mixture as needed. When I am prepapring a dish
> for others to eat I will always make a batch for myself first. No guess
> work.

I am trying to decide if I even want to try it and so far, you have
had no worthwhile input.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 18:22:37 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Interesting comment. How do you propose to accomplish that - hand the
>> > recipe to someone else and order them to make it for your approval?
>> >

>> You take a sample and cook it and see how it tastes. In your case
>> prepare
>> the full recipe as directed, make one spanikopita, cook it and taste it.
>> Then change the rest of the mixture as needed. When I am prepapring a
>> dish
>> for others to eat I will always make a batch for myself first. No guess
>> work.
>>

> I am trying to decide if I even want to try it and so far, you have
> had no worthwhile input.

How bad can it be? The chicken is mildly flavored and surrounded by feta
and lemon. Both of those do pair well with chicken. So it should be a
pleasant enough dish even though it may not set your taste buds on fire.
Texture wise I'd think it would be like an empanada where the filling is
loose and not tightly bound like say a dim sum.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:58:50 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 18:22:37 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >> You take a sample and cook it and see how it tastes. In your case
> >> prepare
> >> the full recipe as directed, make one spanikopita, cook it and taste it.
> >> Then change the rest of the mixture as needed. When I am prepapring a
> >> dish
> >> for others to eat I will always make a batch for myself first. No guess
> >> work.
> >>

> > I am trying to decide if I even want to try it and so far, you have
> > had no worthwhile input.

> How bad can it be? The chicken is mildly flavored and surrounded by feta
> and lemon. Both of those do pair well with chicken. So it should be a
> pleasant enough dish even though it may not set your taste buds on fire.
> Texture wise I'd think it would be like an empanada where the filling is
> loose and not tightly bound like say a dim sum.

I don't think that you're comprehending it's a burger, not a filling.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:58:50 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I am trying to decide if I even want to try it and so far, you have
>> > had no worthwhile input.

>> How bad can it be? The chicken is mildly flavored and surrounded by feta
>> and lemon. Both of those do pair well with chicken. So it should be a
>> pleasant enough dish even though it may not set your taste buds on fire.
>> Texture wise I'd think it would be like an empanada where the filling is
>> loose and not tightly bound like say a dim sum.
>>

> I don't think that you're comprehending it's a burger, not a filling.

floor wax / dessert topping

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:58:50 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I am trying to decide if I even want to try it and so far, you have
>> > had no worthwhile input.

>> How bad can it be? The chicken is mildly flavored and surrounded by feta
>> and lemon. Both of those do pair well with chicken. So it should be a
>> pleasant enough dish even though it may not set your taste buds on fire.
>> Texture wise I'd think it would be like an empanada where the filling is
>> loose and not tightly bound like say a dim sum.
>>

> I don't think that you're comprehending it's a burger, not a filling.

Technically a burger fills a bun.

Anyway, can it be any different than ground turkey? They usually make for a
firm burger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
> as written or is my intuition correct?
> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

Forgive me for actually trying to answer your question here on our
shoot-thy-neighbor newsgroup.

Your recipe is about 2:1 chicken to feta by weight, so I think you've
got a fair chance of it sticking together well thanks to all that
cheese. I imagine it's pretty tasty, actually, although I would be
tempted to try it with regular and not low/no-fat feta. Feta is salty,
and again I'm just guessing here, but low/no-fat feta is probably even
saltier than regular.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:58:50 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>> How bad can it be? The chicken is mildly flavored and surrounded by
>>> feta
>>> and lemon. Both of those do pair well with chicken. So it should be a
>>> pleasant enough dish even though it may not set your taste buds on fire.
>>> Texture wise I'd think it would be like an empanada where the filling is
>>> loose and not tightly bound like say a dim sum.
>>>

>> I don't think that you're comprehending it's a burger, not a filling.

> Technically a burger fills a bun.
>
> Anyway, can it be any different than ground turkey? They usually make for
> a firm burger.

Paul, your patience is truly impressive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 11:09:37 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
> > information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
> > interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
> > together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
> > as written or is my intuition correct?
> > http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

> Forgive me for actually trying to answer your question here on our
> shoot-thy-neighbor newsgroup.
>
> Your recipe is about 2:1 chicken to feta by weight, so I think you've
> got a fair chance of it sticking together well thanks to all that
> cheese. I imagine it's pretty tasty, actually, although I would be
> tempted to try it with regular and not low/no-fat feta. Feta is salty,
> and again I'm just guessing here, but low/no-fat feta is probably even
> saltier than regular.

Thanks, Steve - I'll use the feta I can buy in bulk at the vegetable
store and make sure it's crumbled fine as Janet suggested.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I don't think that you're comprehending it's a burger, not a filling.

>> Technically a burger fills a bun.
>>
>> Anyway, can it be any different than ground turkey? They usually make
>> for a firm burger.
>>

> Paul, your patience is truly impressive.

I do it for the sake of the food. Somebody has to think of the food.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
>> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
>> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
>> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
>> as written or is my intuition correct?
>> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

> Forgive me for actually trying to answer your question here on our
> shoot-thy-neighbor newsgroup.
>
> Your recipe is about 2:1 chicken to feta by weight, so I think you've got
> a fair chance of it sticking together well thanks to all that cheese. I
> imagine it's pretty tasty, actually, although I would be tempted to try it
> with regular and not low/no-fat feta. Feta is salty, and again I'm just
> guessing here, but low/no-fat feta is probably even saltier than regular.

Feta doesn't melt well and is crumbly to begin with.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:
>>> Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
>>> information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
>>> interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
>>> together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
>>> as written or is my intuition correct?
>>> http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

>> Forgive me for actually trying to answer your question here on our
>> shoot-thy-neighbor newsgroup.
>>
>> Your recipe is about 2:1 chicken to feta by weight, so I think you've got
>> a fair chance of it sticking together well thanks to all that cheese. I
>> imagine it's pretty tasty, actually, although I would be tempted to try it
>> with regular and not low/no-fat feta. Feta is salty, and again I'm just
>> guessing here, but low/no-fat feta is probably even saltier than regular.

> Feta doesn't melt well and is crumbly to begin with.

I think the recipe said fat-free feta, which may have mysterious melting
properties

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Forgive me for actually trying to answer your question here on our
>>> shoot-thy-neighbor newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Your recipe is about 2:1 chicken to feta by weight, so I think you've
>>> got
>>> a fair chance of it sticking together well thanks to all that cheese. I
>>> imagine it's pretty tasty, actually, although I would be tempted to try
>>> it
>>> with regular and not low/no-fat feta. Feta is salty, and again I'm just
>>> guessing here, but low/no-fat feta is probably even saltier than
>>> regular.

>> Feta doesn't melt well and is crumbly to begin with.

> I think the recipe said fat-free feta, which may have mysterious melting
> properties

Cheese is fat. Fat-free cheese is like sex-free sex. What's the point?

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Can I get some input? I'm cruising sites that give nutritional
> > information and found one that has recipes too. This one sounds
> > interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing the burger sticking
> > together without the addition of an egg. Do you think this would work
> > as written or is my intuition correct?
> > http://caloriecount.about.com/spanik...rs-recipe-r498

> Forgive me for actually trying to answer your question here on our
> shoot-thy-neighbor newsgroup.
>
> Your recipe is about 2:1 chicken to feta by weight, so I think you've
> got a fair chance of it sticking together well thanks to all that
> cheese. I imagine it's pretty tasty, actually, although I would be
> tempted to try it with regular and not low/no-fat feta. Feta is salty,
> and again I'm just guessing here, but low/no-fat feta is probably even
> saltier than regular.
>
> -S-

After all this talk, I'm tempted to try the recipe. I've never seen
ground chicken in my stores though...only ground turkey.

G.

Spanikopita -Filling! W. Baker Diabetic 1 14-03-2014 08:25 PM
Folding spanikopita Giusi[_2_] General Cooking 13 20-12-2008 03:49 AM
Spanikopita serene Vegetarian cooking 4 22-12-2006 03:45 PM
Chicken Burgers with Ranch Coleslaw Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-06-2005 02:48 PM
spanikopita advice please Jackie Vegetarian cooking 1 17-11-2003 11:27 AM