Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oven pull pork

I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
sleep tonight.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Is pull pork the same as pulled pork?

I put the crockpot in the (dry) sink and let the pork butt (shoulder) slow-cook overnight. I would think it uses less electricity than having the oven on overnight.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-05 18:00, notbob wrote:
> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
> sleep tonight.

I do pulled pork in the oven at 300..... 6 hours, but much smaller
shoulders.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Mar 2014 23:00:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
>shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
>with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
>sleep tonight.
>

>nb

Sounds delish! And it's "pulled pork". ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2014 1:00 PM, notbob wrote:
> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
> sleep tonight.
>

> nb

I'd just stick it in a 300 degree oven and then go to sleep. It's like
magic. You go to sleep and then suddenly, it's done in no time at all.
Sleeping pulled pork is the easiest dish in the history of mankind. Make
sure you wake up though or you're screwed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" <> wrote > On 3/5/2014 1:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
>> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
>> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
>> sleep tonight.
>> nb

> I'd just stick it in a 300 degree oven and then go to sleep. It's like
> magic. You go to sleep and then suddenly, it's done in no time at all.
> Sleeping pulled pork is the easiest dish in the history of mankind. Make
> sure you wake up though or you're screwed.

Once again, we come to heat, pre-heat and what heat. My new slow cooker has
a severe case of Road Rage; will only do a roaring boil at any setting.
Irregardless (That was for Nancy with the clenched teeth), mustard and
Chachere's sounds wonderful. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly, that's funny. ;-). You missed the "overheat" setting.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2014 6:00 PM, notbob wrote:
> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
> sleep tonight.
>

> nb

Its good, but not as good as using a smoker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" <> wrote in message > On 3/5/2014 6:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
>> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
>> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
>> sleep tonight.
>>

>> nb
>>

> Its good, but not as good as using a smoker.

Ah yes. Over heat would surely result in pulled mush. Don't ask. Polly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 20:52:09 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "dsi1" <> wrote > On 3/5/2014 1:00 PM, notbob wrote:
> >> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
> >> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
> >> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
> >> sleep tonight.
> >> nb

> > I'd just stick it in a 300 degree oven and then go to sleep. It's like
> > magic. You go to sleep and then suddenly, it's done in no time at all.
> > Sleeping pulled pork is the easiest dish in the history of mankind. Make
> > sure you wake up though or you're screwed.

> Once again, we come to heat, pre-heat and what heat. My new slow cooker has
> a severe case of Road Rage; will only do a roaring boil at any setting.
> Irregardless (That was for Nancy with the clenched teeth), mustard and
> Chachere's sounds wonderful. Polly

Take it back and get the cheapest Crock Pot you can find. Mine is 6
quarts, cost about $20 and I like it better than my DD's smaller,
fancier Cuisinart slow cooker. How many settings do you need a slow
cooker to have? Mine has low, high and off. Mainly I use low and
when it's off, it's also unplugged.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:33:40 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 3/5/2014 6:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>
> > I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
> > shoulder at 325 deg F.

> > nb

> Its good, but not as good as using a smoker.

I don't have a smoker, just a Weber grill but do start mine off, which has a dry rub on it, with soaked wood chips for 2 hours or as long as I see smoke. After that it goes in the oven, covered with foil, for 3 hours at 325 degrees. Let it rest about 30 minutes and start in shredding with with 2 meat forks. Yummmmmmmmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2014 4:52 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "dsi1" <> wrote > On 3/5/2014 1:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
>>> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
>>> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
>>> sleep tonight.
>>> nb

>> I'd just stick it in a 300 degree oven and then go to sleep. It's like
>> magic. You go to sleep and then suddenly, it's done in no time at all.
>> Sleeping pulled pork is the easiest dish in the history of mankind.
>> Make sure you wake up though or you're screwed.

> Once again, we come to heat, pre-heat and what heat. My new slow cooker
> has a severe case of Road Rage; will only do a roaring boil at any
> setting. Irregardless (That was for Nancy with the clenched teeth),
> mustard and Chachere's sounds wonderful. Polly

I can get the roast in the cold oven in around 4 minutes. I'll start the
oven at that time. No waiting around for the oven to heat up. When you
cook things while you sleep it faster than a microwave.

I made a pizza tonight. While heating up the oven, I checked the upper
element. It was not on as I thought it would be. Only the bottom element
was on. I was mistaken for the first time in my life. Oh boy.

There's no doubt about it. Your slow cooker ain't so slow. If you can
fit it in, I'd just stick it in the freezer when you want to slow it
down some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2014 9:52 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "dsi1" <> wrote > On 3/5/2014 1:00 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> I've done it before, I'm doing it again. Eight pound bone-in pork
>>> shoulder at 325 deg F. Slathered with French's mustard, then rubbed
>>> with Chachere's Creole seasoning. I'd go a lower temp, but wanna
>>> sleep tonight.
>>> nb

>> I'd just stick it in a 300 degree oven and then go to sleep. It's like
>> magic. You go to sleep and then suddenly, it's done in no time at all.
>> Sleeping pulled pork is the easiest dish in the history of mankind.
>> Make sure you wake up though or you're screwed.

> Once again, we come to heat, pre-heat and what heat. My new slow cooker
> has a severe case of Road Rage; will only do a roaring boil at any
> setting. Irregardless (That was for Nancy with the clenched teeth),
> mustard and Chachere's sounds wonderful. Polly

I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-06, jmcquown > wrote:

> I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

As a rub, I must agree. This oven pull pork was a bust. As an
ingredient in red beans, I like it. No doubt fine in a boil, also.

My oven pull pork was a bust more cuz of altitude, I think, than anything
else. I've done oven pull pork at near sea level and at 350 deg F.
Came out great. Despite being at a near constant 325F, it still took
8 hrs to get this 8 lb shoulder up to 190F! We're talking one dried
out piece of pork. No doubt I shoulda put it in foil.

Why roasting meat is so difficult at altitude, I do not know. Perhaps
not enough air molecules to transfer the heat. I've done both dutch
oven pot in an oven carnitas and pressure cooker carnitas. Both have
mucho liquid to keep pork moist. I'll stick with those methods from
now on. Was this shoulder jes too big? If the air is thin in an
oven, it'll be jes as thin in a smoker. How to keep an 8 lb shoulder
from becoming a duraflame log at 200 deg F seems even more unlikely
than at 325F in a enclosed oven. Any thoughts?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Mar 2014 15:57:30 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2014-03-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

>As a rub, I must agree. This oven pull pork was a bust. As an
>ingredient in red beans, I like it. No doubt fine in a boil, also.
>
>My oven pull pork was a bust more cuz of altitude, I think, than anything
>else. I've done oven pull pork at near sea level and at 350 deg F.
>Came out great. Despite being at a near constant 325F, it still took
>8 hrs to get this 8 lb shoulder up to 190F! We're talking one dried
>out piece of pork. No doubt I shoulda put it in foil.
>
>Why roasting meat is so difficult at altitude, I do not know. Perhaps
>not enough air molecules to transfer the heat. I've done both dutch
>oven pot in an oven carnitas and pressure cooker carnitas. Both have
>mucho liquid to keep pork moist. I'll stick with those methods from
>now on. Was this shoulder jes too big? If the air is thin in an
>oven, it'll be jes as thin in a smoker. How to keep an 8 lb shoulder
>from becoming a duraflame log at 200 deg F seems even more unlikely
>than at 325F in a enclosed oven. Any thoughts?
>
>nb

I read you as implying that this roast was not covered? If so, that
would be the problem as I see it.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It didn't turn out because you insist on calling it "pull" pork. LOL.

I still haven't seen any reason to use the oven overnight instead of a crockpot. Crockpots have
lids, use much less electricity, and are much safer than an oven being on overnight while you are sleeping.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 09:21:14 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

I have passed up buying Slap Yo Mama for the same reason (salt is too
high up on the ingredient list). I want to taste the seasoning, not
the salt.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:55:50 AM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2014 15:57:30 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>

> >On 2014-03-06, jmcquown > wrote:

> >> I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

> >As a rub, I must agree. This oven pull pork was a bust. As an

> >ingredient in red beans, I like it. No doubt fine in a boil, also.

> >My oven pull pork was a bust more cuz of altitude, I think, than anything

> >else. I've done oven pull pork at near sea level and at 350 deg F.

> >Came out great. Despite being at a near constant 325F, it still took

> >8 hrs to get this 8 lb shoulder up to 190F! We're talking one dried

> >out piece of pork. No doubt I shoulda put it in foil.

> >Why roasting meat is so difficult at altitude, I do not know. Perhaps

> >not enough air molecules to transfer the heat. I've done both dutch

> >oven pot in an oven carnitas and pressure cooker carnitas. Both have

> >mucho liquid to keep pork moist. I'll stick with those methods from

> >now on. Was this shoulder jes too big? If the air is thin in an

> >oven, it'll be jes as thin in a smoker. How to keep an 8 lb shoulder

> >from becoming a duraflame log at 200 deg F seems even more unlikely

> >than at 325F in a enclosed oven. Any thoughts?

> >nb

> I read you as implying that this roast was not covered? If so, that
>
> would be the problem as I see it.

The problem began with the idea of slathering with cheap yellow mustard.

> Janet US

--B

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Mar 2014 15:57:30 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2014-03-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

> As a rub, I must agree. This oven pull pork was a bust. As an
> ingredient in red beans, I like it. No doubt fine in a boil, also.
>
> My oven pull pork was a bust more cuz of altitude, I think, than anything
> else. I've done oven pull pork at near sea level and at 350 deg F.
> Came out great. Despite being at a near constant 325F, it still took
> 8 hrs to get this 8 lb shoulder up to 190F! We're talking one dried
> out piece of pork. No doubt I shoulda put it in foil.
>
> Why roasting meat is so difficult at altitude, I do not know. Perhaps
> not enough air molecules to transfer the heat. I've done both dutch
> oven pot in an oven carnitas and pressure cooker carnitas. Both have
> mucho liquid to keep pork moist. I'll stick with those methods from
> now on. Was this shoulder jes too big? If the air is thin in an
> oven, it'll be jes as thin in a smoker. How to keep an 8 lb shoulder
> from becoming a duraflame log at 200 deg F seems even more unlikely
> than at 325F in a enclosed oven. Any thoughts?

I've tried seasoning with Bobby Flay's mix which was the least
objectionable one I've found, but even that one had too much chili and
was too sweet for me... yes, even when used in moderation, not the way
people seem to dump rubs on both here and on TV.

I've never cooked a PB larger than 4 pounds (that's plenty of meat for
us) and I cook it with either beer or apple juice/cider around 300°,
sometimes 250° if I started it too early... I'd say an hour a pound
does it, a little more - a little less It's not precision cooking. I
use my Dutch oven with the lid on and there's no problem as far as
dryness. I check it turn it over a couple of times in the process.
I've even cooked it without liquid once just to see what would happen
and ended up with a LOT of juice, probably due to how fatty a pork but
is... but it never comes out dry.

I'd guess that maybe the pork you started off with was too lean. I
just buy grocery store pork butt, nothing fancy and there seems to be
the right amount of fat to keep it tender and juicy. Another guess is
you allowed all the moisture to escape and it was obviously
over-cooked if the meat was dry.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 09:55:50 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I read you as implying that this roast was not covered? If so, that
> would be the problem as I see it.

Ditto.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2014 12:44 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> It didn't turn out because you insist on calling it "pull" pork. LOL.
>
> I still haven't seen any reason to use the oven overnight instead of a crockpot. Crockpots have
> lids, use much less electricity, and are much safer than an oven being on overnight while you are sleeping.
>
> N.

You've been around long enough to know in the crockpot is not authentic
pulled pork. Not that there is any such thing. Then again, there isn't
any authentic "chili" or "BBQ Ribs", either. Just opinions and regional
cooking styles.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:52:15 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:55:50 AM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:

snip
>> I read you as implying that this roast was not covered? If so, that
>>
>> would be the problem as I see it.

Janet US

>The problem began with the idea of slathering with cheap yellow mustard.

>--B

Not so. Yellow mustard slather is rather accepted in BBQ circles as
the right way to begin.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:44:04 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>It didn't turn out because you insist on calling it "pull" pork. LOL.
>
>I still haven't seen any reason to use the oven overnight instead of a crockpot. Crockpots have
>lids, use much less electricity, and are much safer than an oven being on overnight while you are sleeping.
>
>N.

I'd rather use the oven that has its own slot on the breaker box than
rely on an extension cord plugged into the wall. My comfort zone
only.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:06:14 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:52:15 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:55:50 AM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> snip
> >> I read you as implying that this roast was not covered? If so, that
> >>
> >> would be the problem as I see it.

> Janet US
> >
> >The problem began with the idea of slathering with cheap yellow mustard.

> >--B

> Not so. Yellow mustard slather is rather accepted in BBQ circles as
> the right way to begin.

Combined with brown sugar, it's a nice way to end a ham too.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:19:52 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/6/2014 12:44 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > It didn't turn out because you insist on calling it "pull" pork. LOL.
> >
> > I still haven't seen any reason to use the oven overnight instead of a crockpot. Crockpots have
> > lids, use much less electricity, and are much safer than an oven being on overnight while you are sleeping.
> >
> > N.
> >

> You've been around long enough to know in the crockpot is not authentic
> pulled pork. Not that there is any such thing. Then again, there isn't
> any authentic "chili" or "BBQ Ribs", either. Just opinions and regional
> cooking styles.

Agree. We take our oven cooked pulled pork, give it a little skillet
time and it turns into carnitas. The only people who can argue with
that are those who don't cook and yes, I'm saying the loud mouths that
think pulled pork can only be produced in a smoker don't know their
heads from their tails when it comes to cooking.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2014 2:06 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:52:15 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:55:50 AM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> snip
>>> I read you as implying that this roast was not covered? If so, that
>>>
>>> would be the problem as I see it.

> Janet US
>>
>> The problem began with the idea of slathering with cheap yellow mustard.

>> --B

> Not so. Yellow mustard slather is rather accepted in BBQ circles as
> the right way to begin.
> Janet US

Yellow mustard is also commonly used in some BBQ sauces, depending upon
the region.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2014 10:57 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-03-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

> As a rub, I must agree. This oven pull pork was a bust. As an
> ingredient in red beans, I like it. No doubt fine in a boil, also.

I couldn't say for sure but I think that is the intended use for
Chachere's Creole seasoning blend.

> My oven pull pork was a bust more cuz of altitude, I think, than anything
> else. I've done oven pull pork at near sea level and at 350 deg F.
> Came out great. Despite being at a near constant 325F, it still took
> 8 hrs to get this 8 lb shoulder up to 190F! We're talking one dried
> out piece of pork. No doubt I shoulda put it in foil.

190°F?

> Why roasting meat is so difficult at altitude, I do not know. Perhaps
> not enough air molecules to transfer the heat. I've done both dutch
> oven pot in an oven carnitas and pressure cooker carnitas. Both have
> mucho liquid to keep pork moist. I'll stick with those methods from
> now on. Was this shoulder jes too big? If the air is thin in an
> oven, it'll be jes as thin in a smoker. How to keep an 8 lb shoulder
> from becoming a duraflame log at 200 deg F seems even more unlikely
> than at 325F in a enclosed oven. Any thoughts?
>
> nb

All I can say (sincerely, no sarcasm) is better luck next time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-06, jmcquown > wrote:

> All I can say (sincerely, no sarcasm) is better luck next time.

Cheaper to go down and buy a pull pork sammy at local place. I need
to confer with the pit master.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:29:21 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/6/2014 2:06 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> > Not so. Yellow mustard slather is rather accepted in BBQ circles as
> > the right way to begin.
> >

> Yellow mustard is also commonly used in some BBQ sauces, depending upon
> the region.

Tyler Florence certainly does.

Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce
Tyler Florence

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup yellow or brown mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt
together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork and
marinate for as long as you have time for, as little as 1 hour or up
to overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:23:05 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/6/2014 10:57 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2014-03-06, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> I find Chachere's seasonings to be way too salty, and I like salt!

> > As a rub, I must agree. This oven pull pork was a bust. As an
> > ingredient in red beans, I like it. No doubt fine in a boil, also.
> >

> I couldn't say for sure but I think that is the intended use for
> Chachere's Creole seasoning blend.
>
> > My oven pull pork was a bust more cuz of altitude, I think, than anything
> > else. I've done oven pull pork at near sea level and at 350 deg F.
> > Came out great. Despite being at a near constant 325F, it still took
> > 8 hrs to get this 8 lb shoulder up to 190F! We're talking one dried
> > out piece of pork. No doubt I shoulda put it in foil.
> >

> 190°F?

I should take the temp of my pork when I pull it out to be able to
tell engineers when to stop, but I just use my eyes and a fork and
take it out when it pulls apart easily.

> > Why roasting meat is so difficult at altitude, I do not know. Perhaps
> > not enough air molecules to transfer the heat. I've done both dutch
> > oven pot in an oven carnitas and pressure cooker carnitas. Both have
> > mucho liquid to keep pork moist. I'll stick with those methods from
> > now on. Was this shoulder jes too big? If the air is thin in an
> > oven, it'll be jes as thin in a smoker. How to keep an 8 lb shoulder
> > from becoming a duraflame log at 200 deg F seems even more unlikely
> > than at 325F in a enclosed oven. Any thoughts?
> >
> > nb
> >

> All I can say (sincerely, no sarcasm) is better luck next time.

Paying a little more attention to the task at hand would be helpful
until the method is second nature.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:52:32 -0500, Travis McGee >
wrote:

> This is the recipe for Paul Prudhomme's blackened redfish seasoning,
> from his first cookbook. I use it in place of the horribly salty Cajun
> seasonings from the market. The original recipe calls for 2 1/2
> teaspoons salt.
>
> 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1 teaspoon onion powder
> 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
> 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
> 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
>
> I usually triple this, and keep it in a spice shaker; it helps to whirl
> it in a blender or spice grinder so that the leaves are powdered enough
> to fit through the shaker holes.

I agree with that recipe, thanks for posting!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

To me, there is no difference between slow roasting a pork butt in a slow cooker than slow roasting one in
a covered pan overnight in the oven. Maybe you can tell me the difference.

I am not talking about saucing the roast in the crockpot. I am talking only about the cooking of it.
No difference. I roast mine on a rack inside the lidded crockpot over chunked up onions for flavor
and no added liquid. Just salt and pepper.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:15:50 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

> To me, there is no difference between slow roasting a pork butt in a slow cooker than slow roasting one in
> a covered pan overnight in the oven. Maybe you can tell me the difference.
>
> I am not talking about saucing the roast in the crockpot. I am talking only about the cooking of it.
> No difference. I roast mine on a rack inside the lidded crockpot over chunked up onions for flavor
> and no added liquid. Just salt and pepper.

Especially true for NB, since he's talking about wrapping his in foil.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2014 7:26 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:15:50 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> To me, there is no difference between slow roasting a pork butt in a slow cooker than slow roasting one in
>> a covered pan overnight in the oven. Maybe you can tell me the difference.
>>
>> I am not talking about saucing the roast in the crockpot. I am talking only about the cooking of it.
>> No difference. I roast mine on a rack inside the lidded crockpot over chunked up onions for flavor
>> and no added liquid. Just salt and pepper.
>>

> Especially true for NB, since he's talking about wrapping his in foil.

Actually, he said he didn't wrap it in foil and it came out of the oven
all dried up.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2014 6:46 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:29:21 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/6/2014 2:06 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> Not so. Yellow mustard slather is rather accepted in BBQ circles as
>>> the right way to begin.
>>>

>> Yellow mustard is also commonly used in some BBQ sauces, depending upon
>> the region.
>>

> Tyler Florence certainly does.
>
> Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce
> Tyler Florence
>
> 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
> 1 cup yellow or brown mustard
> 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
> 2 garlic cloves, smashed
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon cayenne
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>

> Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt
> together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork and
> marinate for as long as you have time for, as little as 1 hour or up
> to overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.

Hmmmmm. Here in the South (!) the sauce is either vinegar based or
mustard based.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 19:39:18 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/6/2014 7:26 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:15:50 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> To me, there is no difference between slow roasting a pork butt in a slow cooker than slow roasting one in
> >> a covered pan overnight in the oven. Maybe you can tell me the difference.
> >>
> >> I am not talking about saucing the roast in the crockpot. I am talking only about the cooking of it.
> >> No difference. I roast mine on a rack inside the lidded crockpot over chunked up onions for flavor
> >> and no added liquid. Just salt and pepper.
> >>

> > Especially true for NB, since he's talking about wrapping his in foil.
> >

> Actually, he said he didn't wrap it in foil and it came out of the oven
> all dried up.

He said he will wrap it in foil next time.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:26:06 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:15:50 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:
>
>> To me, there is no difference between slow roasting a pork butt in a slow cooker than slow roasting one in
>> a covered pan overnight in the oven. Maybe you can tell me the difference.
>>
>> I am not talking about saucing the roast in the crockpot. I am talking only about the cooking of it.
>> No difference. I roast mine on a rack inside the lidded crockpot over chunked up onions for flavor
>> and no added liquid. Just salt and pepper.
>>

>Especially true for NB, since he's talking about wrapping his in foil.

that is a finishing trick that I have heard of. You get your large
hunk of meat smoked the way you want and then wrap in foil and finish
elsewhere.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:59:07 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:26:06 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:15:50 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
> >
> >> To me, there is no difference between slow roasting a pork butt in a slow cooker than slow roasting one in
> >> a covered pan overnight in the oven. Maybe you can tell me the difference.
> >>
> >> I am not talking about saucing the roast in the crockpot. I am talking only about the cooking of it.
> >> No difference. I roast mine on a rack inside the lidded crockpot over chunked up onions for flavor
> >> and no added liquid. Just salt and pepper.
> >>

> >Especially true for NB, since he's talking about wrapping his in foil.

> that is a finishing trick that I have heard of. You get your large
> hunk of meat smoked the way you want and then wrap in foil and finish
> elsewhere.

I read that, but it's for pit smoked meats and a no-no unless you're
hurrying the process. IMO, you need to adapt your method if you're
cooking a butt in the oven. Your method works for you, mine works for
me - both of us use covered dutch ovens.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:18:31 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:59:07 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:26:06 -0800, sf > wrote:

>> >Especially true for NB, since he's talking about wrapping his in foil.

>> that is a finishing trick that I have heard of. You get your large
>> hunk of meat smoked the way you want and then wrap in foil and finish
>> elsewhere.

>I read that, but it's for pit smoked meats and a no-no unless you're
>hurrying the process. IMO, you need to adapt your method if you're
>cooking a butt in the oven. Your method works for you, mine works for
>me - both of us use covered dutch ovens.

I've read of it and watched Alton Brown propose it. You smoke the
meat in your smoker until done. Wrap in foil and allow to finish and
rest. I do not do this myself. I do have a smoker that I use. That
is my method. I would not do a pork butt for pulled pork in a dutch
oven. There are other pork butt recipes that I do in the dutch oven
but do not pretend to call them pulled pork.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does official pulled pork have to be smoked? I assume if the answer is yes, then that is the purist talking.

I have had plenty of pulled pork that was not smoked, just roasted. I thought the term pulled meant merely
roasted until it could be pulled apart with a pair of forks.

N.