Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default counterfit food???

I guess their method for passing off Chinese truffles as Italian or
French worked so well (with so few legal consequences) that they
decided to move into a more plebeian food that won't be questioned as
closely. China does it on a regular basis, with impunity - so why
not?

<http://grist.org/news/rice-is-the-new-cocaine-for-european-drug-dealers/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=update&utm_campaig n=socialflow>

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I guess their method for passing off Chinese truffles as Italian or
> French worked so well (with so few legal consequences) that they
> decided to move into a more plebeian food that won't be questioned as
> closely. China does it on a regular basis, with impunity - so why
> not?

Apparently, some brands of Italian tomatoes are Chinese but relabelled in
Italy. I'm reluctant to buy the pine nuts from a local Italian s/m, or
anywhere else for that matter.
The fish caught by Alaskan and Canadian fishers is sent to the PRC for
processing and returns as "Product of China".
These days, the only food that you can trust is that grown in your own back
garden.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-26 2:39 PM, graham wrote:

> Apparently, some brands of Italian tomatoes are Chinese but relabelled in
> Italy. I'm reluctant to buy the pine nuts from a local Italian s/m, or
> anywhere else for that matter.
> The fish caught by Alaskan and Canadian fishers is sent to the PRC for
> processing and returns as "Product of China".

A year or so ago a local wine producer was congratulated by someone who
saw his ice wine being sold in China. He was not exporting his wine to
China. It was a Chinese product with a forged label.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> counterfit food

I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is
it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a
counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?
;-)

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:22:48 +0200, Opinicus
> wrote:

> > counterfit food

> I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is
> it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a
> counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?
> ;-)

Knock, knock, knock (if you don't see the connection, you're not
watching television.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/14, 2:22 AM, Opinicus wrote:
>> counterfit food

> I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is
> it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a
> counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?

It's food that is fattening.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:25:09 -0500, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 2/27/14, 2:22 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> >> counterfit food

> > I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is
> > it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a
> > counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?

> It's food that is fattening.

You'll never know if you don't read the article.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Opinicus wrote:

> > counterfit food

> I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is
> it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a
> counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?
> ;-)

Two general categories, misrepresented and fake. Misrepresented would be
the noted Chinese truffles labeled with a different origin, fake would
be something like the apparent fake eggs (yep) found at times in (yep)
China (search on youtube) that are man made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:31:17 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:22:48 +0200, Opinicus
>
> > wrote:
>

> > > counterfit food

> > I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is

> > it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a

> > counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?

> > ;-)

> Knock, knock, knock (if you don't see the connection, you're not
>
> watching television.

The joke was about the misspelling of counterfeit.

I don't get your response because I don't watch television. Over the
years people have asked me how I find the time to cook from scratch, and
I ask them, "Do you watch television?"

sf, email me some time. >

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:20:32 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> Opinicus wrote:
> >
> > > counterfit food

> > I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is
> > it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a
> > counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?
> > ;-)
> >

> Two general categories, misrepresented and fake. Misrepresented would be
> the noted Chinese truffles labeled with a different origin,

Didn't you read about the truffles? They put one European truffle
into a can of Chinese truffles to trick the nose and sell the entire
can at European prices. I don't call it misrepresentation, that's
counterfeiting.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:17:13 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> Didn't you read about the truffles? They put one European truffle
> into a can of Chinese truffles to trick the nose and sell the entire
> can at European prices. I don't call it misrepresentation, that's
> counterfeiting.

That reminds me of the way transistor radios
were marketed back in the 1960s. A "six
transistor" radio would often have six
transistors on the circuit board with only
one wired up. Things don't change.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/14, 3:34 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> That reminds me of the way transistor radios
> were marketed back in the 1960s. A "six
> transistor" radio would often have six
> transistors on the circuit board with only
> one wired up. Things don't change.

That's interesting. I got my ham radio license in 1958, and worked in a
TV/radio repair shop throughout high school. I was forever ripping
radios apart, from the cheapest transistor radios to expensive consoles,
and I never saw anything like that.

But then, from what I've seen in this newsgroup since you arrived,
you're generally full of shit.

{plonk}

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:23:04 PM UTC-5, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 2/27/14, 3:34 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>
> > That reminds me of the way transistor radios
> > were marketed back in the 1960s. A "six
> > transistor" radio would often have six
> > transistors on the circuit board with only
> > one wired up. Things don't change.

> That's interesting. I got my ham radio license in 1958, and worked in a
> TV/radio repair shop throughout high school. I was forever ripping
> radios apart, from the cheapest transistor radios to expensive consoles,
> and I never saw anything like that.
>
> But then, from what I've seen in this newsgroup since you arrived,
> you're generally full of shit.

Here's an example. No need to be rude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRt_fc6FqXA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:53:26 PM UTC-6, Helpful person wrote:
> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:23:04 PM UTC-5, pltrgyst wrote:
>
> > On 2/27/14, 3:34 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> > > That reminds me of the way transistor radios

> > > were marketed back in the 1960s. A "six

> > > transistor" radio would often have six

> > > transistors on the circuit board with only

> > > one wired up. Things don't change.

> > That's interesting. I got my ham radio license in 1958, and worked in a

> > TV/radio repair shop throughout high school. I was forever ripping

> > radios apart, from the cheapest transistor radios to expensive consoles,

> > and I never saw anything like that.

> > But then, from what I've seen in this newsgroup since you arrived,

> > you're generally full of shit.

> Here's an example. No need to be rude.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRt_fc6FqXA

He's right. You post bullshit on a regular basis. Having 6 of the 12
transistors wired as mere diodes is a long way from having 5 of 6
transistors not even "wired up."

You're like Sheldon if he had a more pleasant demeanor.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:22:48 AM UTC-5, Opinicus wrote:
> > counterfit food

> I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is
>
> it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a
>
> counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?
>
> ;-)
>

> --
>
> Bob
>
> www.kanyak.com

Aha - another spelling Gestapo member.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:58:13 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:31:17 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> > > I'm trying to get my head around the concept of "counterfit" food. Is

> > > it food that fits on the counter? What kind of food wouldn't fit on a

> > > counter? A XXXL pizza? A spit-roasted roast ox?

> > > ;-)

> > Knock, knock, knock (if you don't see the connection, you're not

> > watching television.

> The joke was about the misspelling of counterfeit.
>

> I don't get your response because I don't watch television. Over the
>
> years people have asked me how I find the time to cook from scratch, and
>
> I ask them, "Do you watch television?"
>

> sf, email me some time. >
>

> --B

Oh, I love that retort. Mind if I use it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:24:01 PM UTC-6, Kalmia wrote:
> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:58:13 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

> > sf, email me some time. >

> > --B

> Oh, I love that retort. Mind if I use it?

I figured she was reading this thread, so no need to create a
separate thread. I wanted to email her something, but don't
have her address. Silly.

If you're like, super-curious, you could email me too.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:07:46 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> He's right. You post bullshit on a regular basis. Having 6 of the 12
> transistors wired as mere diodes is a long way from having 5 of 6
> transistors not even "wired up."

No it's not. Back then transistors were very expensive due to a poor yield in
the manufacturing process. The ones that failed were either wired as diodes or
not wired into the circuit at all. If you had been around in the late 1950s /
early 1960s you would know that. (Do you really believe that the designers
didn't know how to make a simple radio circuit?)

Radios were expensive. Cheap Asian transistor radios were flooding the market with claims of using more transistors than they actually were. The quality of the radio was equated with the number of transistors.

As a food analogy it's like selling 10 grams of saffron that really only
contained 5 grams of stigmas, the rest being filler.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:17:13 -0800, sf > wrote:

> I don't call it misrepresentation, that's
>counterfeiting.

Which is different from "counterfitting". (See subject line.)

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 07:05:35 +0200, Opinicus
> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:17:13 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> > I don't call it misrepresentation, that's
> >counterfeiting.

> Which is different from "counterfitting". (See subject line.)

Ah, I see. Okay.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

WARNING - Redwood Food Company - chilled food delivery health concerns. Gary Vegan 0 27-11-2008 05:22 PM
WARNING -\/ Redwood Food Company - chilled food delivery health concerns. Veggie Delights Vegan 0 12-06-2008 08:23 AM
Documentary 'The Future of Food' about the threat posed by genetically modified food & Monsanto Sparrow General Cooking 0 15-07-2007 05:38 PM
Sassicaia, counterfit gerald Wine 0 11-08-2006 01:28 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM