limey

Default Rice primer requested

Could someone educate me on the different types of rice and what they're
used for, plus why that particular one is selected? Such as:

Short grain rice
Long grain rice
Brown rice
Basmati rice
Jasmine rice

Many thanks.

Dora

--

limey at toad dot net

PENMART01

>"limey" writes:
>
>Could someone educate me on the different types of rice and what they're
>used for, plus why that particular one is selected? Such as:
>
>Short grain rice
>Long grain rice
>Brown rice
>Basmati rice
>Jasmine rice

There are many websites specifically devoted to rice but here are the basics...

rice
n. This ancient and venerable grain has been cultivated since at least 5000
b.c., and archaeological explorations in China have uncovered sealed pots of
rice that are almost 8,000 years old. Today, rice is a staple for almost half
the world's population €” particularly in parts of China, India, Indonesia,
Japan and Southeast Asia. The 7,000-plus varieties of rice are grown in one of
two ways. Aquatic rice (paddy-grown) is cultivated in flooded fields. The
lower-yielding, lower-quality hill-grown rice can be grown on almost any
tropical or subtropical terrain. The major rice-growing states in the United
States are Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri and Texas.
Rice is commercially classified by its size €” long-, medium- or short-grain.
The length of long-grain rice is four to five times that of its width. There
are both white and brown varieties of long-grain rice, which, when cooked,
produce light, dry grains that separate easily. One of the more exotic
varieties in the long-grain category is the perfumy East Indian BASMATI RICE.
Short-grain rice has fat, almost round grains that have a higher starch content
than either the long- or medium-grain varieties. When cooked, it tends to be
quite moist and viscous, causing the grains to stick together. This variety
(also called pearl rice and glutinous rice , though it's gluten-free) is
preferred in the Orient because it's easy to handle with chopsticks. Italian
ARBORIO RICE €” used to make creamy RISOTTOS €” and the Japanese MOCHI are
also varieties of short-grain rice. Medium-grain rice, as could be expected
from its name, has a size and character between the other two. It's shorter and
moister than long-grain and generally not as starchy as short-grain. Though
fairly fluffy right after being cooked, medium-grain rice begins to clump once
it starts to cool. Rice can be further divided into two other broad categories
€” brown and white. Brown rice is the entire grain with only the inedible
outer husk removed. The nutritious, high-fiber bran coating gives it a light
tan color, nutlike flavor and chewy texture. The presence of the bran means
that brown rice is subject to rancidity, which limits its shelf life to only
about 6 months. It also takes slightly longer to cook (about 30 minutes total)
than regular white long-grain rice. There is a quick brown rice (which has
been partially cooked, then dehydrated) that cooks in only about 15 minutes,
and an instant brown rice that takes only 10 minutes. White rice has had the
husk, bran and germ removed. Regular white rice is sometimes referred to as
polished rice . For converted or parboiled white rice , the unhulled grain has
been soaked, pressure-steamed and dried before milling. This treatment
gelatinizes the starch in the grain (for fluffy, separated cooked rice) and
infuses some of the nutrients of the bran and germ into the kernel's heart.
Converted rice has a pale beige cast and takes slightly longer to cook than
regular white rice. Talc-coated rice is white rice that has a coating of talc
and glucose, which gives it a glossy appearance. The coating acts as a
preservative and the practice was once widely used to protect exported rice
during long sea voyages. Today coated rice (which is clearly labeled as such)
is available only in a few ethnic markets, usually those specializing in South
American foods. It must be thoroughly rinsed before being cooked, as there is a
chance that the talc can be contaminated with asbestos. Instant or quick white
rice has been fully or partially cooked before being dehydrated and packaged.
It takes only a few minutes to prepare but delivers lackluster results in both
flavor and texture. Rice bran, the grain's outer layer, is high in soluble
fiber and research indicates that, like oat bran, it's effective in lowering
cholesterol. Rice should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark,
dry place. White rice can be stored this way almost indefinitely, brown rice up
to 6 months. The life of the latter can be extended considerably by
refrigeration. Rice can be prepared in a multitude of ways, the method greatly
depending on the type of rice. Consult a general cookbook for cooking
directions. Rice, which is cholesterol- and gluten-free, is low in sodium,
contains only a trace of fat and is an excellent source of complex
carbohydrates. Enriched or converted rice contains calcium, iron and many
B-complex vitamins, with brown rice being slightly richer in all the nutrients.
See also AROMATIC RICE; JASMINE RICE; RICE FLOUR; RIZCOUS; TEXMATI RICE;
WEHANI RICE; WILD RICE; WILD PECAN RICE.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> [...]

dry place. White rice can be stored this way almost indefinitely, brown rice up
to 6 months. The life of the latter can be extended considerably by
refrigeration. Rice can be prepared in a multitude of ways, the method greatly
depending on the type of rice. Consult a general cookbook for cooking
directions. Rice, which is cholesterol- and gluten-free, is low in sodium,
contains only a trace of fat and is an excellent source of complex
carbohydrates. Enriched or converted rice contains calcium, iron and many
B-complex vitamins, with brown rice being slightly richer in all the nutrients.
See also AROMATIC RICE; JASMINE RICE; RICE FLOUR; RIZCOUS; TEXMATI RICE;
WEHANI RICE; WILD RICE; WILD PECAN RICE.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

PENMART01

> [...]

dry place. White rice can be stored this way almost indefinitely, brown rice up
to 6 months. The life of the latter can be extended considerably by
refrigeration. Rice can be prepared in a multitude of ways, the method greatly
depending on the type of rice. Consult a general cookbook for cooking
directions. Rice, which is cholesterol- and gluten-free, is low in sodium,
contains only a trace of fat and is an excellent source of complex
carbohydrates. Enriched or converted rice contains calcium, iron and many
B-complex vitamins, with brown rice being slightly richer in all the nutrients.
See also AROMATIC RICE; JASMINE RICE; RICE FLOUR; RIZCOUS; TEXMATI RICE;
WEHANI RICE; WILD RICE; WILD PECAN RICE.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

limey

"PENMART01" wrote in message

> >"limey" writes:
>>
>>Could someone educate me on the different types of rice and what they're
>>used for, plus why that particular one is selected? Such as:
>>
>>Short grain rice
>>Long grain rice
>>Brown rice
>>Basmati rice
>>Jasmine rice

> There are many websites specifically devoted to rice but here are the
> basics...
>
> rice

(snipped and saved)

> Sheldon
> ````````````

Thanks, Sheldon.
Dora

Christopher Green

"limey" > wrote in message >...
> Could someone educate me on the different types of rice and what they're
> used for, plus why that particular one is selected? Such as:
>
> Short grain rice

Tends to stick together when cooked. If you need rice that is easy to
eat with chopsticks or to form into shapes as in sushi, short-grain
rices are your friends.

Italian short-grain rices (Arborio is the best-known) have a great
capacity for liquid and cook up to creamy risottos and rice puddings.

> Long grain rice

Tends to remain in separate kernels and to cook up fluffy rather than
solid. The usual rice-as-a-side-dish in the US. California grows tons
and tons of this rice, much of which is bland and uninteresting though
versatile.

> Brown rice

Rice that hasn't been milled. Brown rice is much higher in B vitamins,
fiber, and minerals than white rice. Takes longer to cook and has a
nutty flavor.

> Basmati rice

Rice characteristic of Indian cooking. Long thin kernels, cooks up
sort of like long-grain but lighter and with a distinctive flavor.

> Jasmine rice

Rice characteristic of Thai cooking. A long-grain rice with a
distinctive perfumed flavor.

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

"limey" > wrote in message >...
> Could someone educate me on the different types of rice and what they're
> used for, plus why that particular one is selected? Such as:
>
> Short grain rice

Tends to stick together when cooked. If you need rice that is easy to
eat with chopsticks or to form into shapes as in sushi, short-grain
rices are your friends.

Italian short-grain rices (Arborio is the best-known) have a great
capacity for liquid and cook up to creamy risottos and rice puddings.

> Long grain rice

Tends to remain in separate kernels and to cook up fluffy rather than
solid. The usual rice-as-a-side-dish in the US. California grows tons
and tons of this rice, much of which is bland and uninteresting though
versatile.

> Brown rice

Rice that hasn't been milled. Brown rice is much higher in B vitamins,
fiber, and minerals than white rice. Takes longer to cook and has a
nutty flavor.

> Basmati rice

Rice characteristic of Indian cooking. Long thin kernels, cooks up
sort of like long-grain but lighter and with a distinctive flavor.

> Jasmine rice

Rice characteristic of Thai cooking. A long-grain rice with a
distinctive perfumed flavor.

--
Chris Green
limey

Thank you, Chris, for a very clear description.

Dora

limey