Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Snacks?

Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.

Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!

Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
don't fill me up.

Asking too much?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/01/2014 13:21, KenK wrote:

> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.

> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!

> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
> don't fill me up.

Grated carrots or sticks of celery will meet your requirements.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jan 2014 13:21:23 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>
>Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>
>Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
>155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
>don't fill me up.
>
>Asking too much?
>
>TIA

How many calories do you want to spend?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:33:15 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On 24 Jan 2014 13:21:23 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>>
>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>>
>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
>> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
>> don't fill me up.

>My late night snack are usually pickled something. I have all sorts
>of pickled stuff (kimchi, beets, pickle chips, malt onions, mam tom
>hue (pickled shrimp and papaya), etc...) They are all virtually fat
>free, pack a lot of flavor, but not exactly filling. You want
>filling, suck down a few tablespoons of psyllium husks :-)
>
>-sw

I go for pickles also. The crunch and chew are important factors in a
snack for me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2014 8:21 AM, KenK wrote:
> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>
> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!

Of those choices I'd say graham crackers and fig bars are the better
selections.

> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
> don't fill me up.
>
> Asking too much?
>
> TIA

The real question IMHO is what did you have for supper/dinner? If
you're still hungry shortly after supper perhaps you should eat have a
slightly larger portion at mealtime.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote in
:

> On 24 Jan 2014 13:21:23 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>>Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off
>>topic.
>>
>>Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted
>>to cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded
>>Oreos!
>>
>>Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8"
>>and 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my
>>ill- fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice
>>cream, etc. don't fill me up.
>>
>>Asking too much?
>>
>>TIA

> How many calories do you want to spend?
> Janet US

I don't usually think about that. I pay much more attention to fat -
perhaps 5 g or better less for a snack. Perhaps in this case I should pay
attention to the calories instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in
:

> On 1/24/2014 8:21 AM, KenK wrote:
>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off
>> topic.
>>
>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted
>> to cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the
>> dreaded Oreos!
>>

> Of those choices I'd say graham crackers and fig bars are the better
> selections.
>
>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5'
>> 8" and 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with
>> my ill- fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF
>> ice cream, etc. don't fill me up.
>>
>> Asking too much?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> The real question IMHO is what did you have for supper/dinner? If
> you're still hungry shortly after supper perhaps you should eat have a
> slightly larger portion at mealtime.
>
> Jill

You are likely right. Unfortunately I cook for one and eat what I've
prepared. So unless I have leftovers I don't have anything for a second
helping. I see what you mean though - I should probably just make larger
evening meals and skip the snacks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:
>On 1/24/2014 8:21 AM, KenK wrote:
>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>>
>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>>

>Of those choices I'd say graham crackers and fig bars are the better
>selections.
>
>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
>> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
>> don't fill me up.
>>
>> Asking too much?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>The real question IMHO is what did you have for supper/dinner? If
>you're still hungry shortly after supper perhaps you should eat have a
>slightly larger portion at mealtime.
>
>Jill

Frankly, it looks like he's trawling for dessert ideas. Everything
he listed was sweet.

Sweet, chewable, and filling: oatmeal with brown sugar.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2014 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 1/24/2014 8:21 AM, KenK wrote:
>>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off
>>> topic.
>>>
>>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted
>>> to cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the
>>> dreaded Oreos!
>>>

>> Of those choices I'd say graham crackers and fig bars are the better
>> selections.
>>
>>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5'
>>> 8" and 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with
>>> my ill- fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF
>>> ice cream, etc. don't fill me up.
>>>
>>> Asking too much?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> The real question IMHO is what did you have for supper/dinner? If
>> you're still hungry shortly after supper perhaps you should eat have a
>> slightly larger portion at mealtime.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You are likely right. Unfortunately I cook for one and eat what I've
> prepared. So unless I have leftovers I don't have anything for a second
> helping. I see what you mean though - I should probably just make larger
> evening meals and skip the snacks.

I cook for one all the time. I've always found it's easier to cook for
two than it is for one. I'm guessing you have a refrigerator if there
are leftovers. Then again, I don't know what sorts of things you eat
(or how much you eat) for dinner. Ultimately, you're the only one who
can determine why you feel the need to snack.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:12:07 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 1/24/2014 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:
> > jmcquown > wrote in
> > :

> >> Of those choices I'd say graham crackers and fig bars are the better
> >> selections.

> >> The real question IMHO is what did you have for supper/dinner? If
> >> you're still hungry shortly after supper perhaps you should eat have a
> >> slightly larger portion at mealtime.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > You are likely right. Unfortunately I cook for one and eat what I've
> > prepared. So unless I have leftovers I don't have anything for a second
> > helping. I see what you mean though - I should probably just make larger
> > evening meals and skip the snacks.
> >

> I cook for one all the time. I've always found it's easier to cook for
> two than it is for one. I'm guessing you have a refrigerator if there
> are leftovers. Then again, I don't know what sorts of things you eat
> (or how much you eat) for dinner. Ultimately, you're the only one who
> can determine why you feel the need to snack.

My husband often needs to snack sometime between dinner and bedtime,
but he's very good about portion control and his snacks are a tiny
amount. Ken sounds like his weight is right for his height, but he
needs to watch the calorie intake and add some exercise if he's
gaining.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off
> topic.
>
> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted
> to cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the
> dreaded Oreos!
>
> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5'
> 8" and 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with
> my ill- fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF
> ice cream, etc. don't fill me up.
>
> Asking too much?
>
> TIA

You do realize that low-fat eating has moved from being recommended to
increasingly being villainized, I hope. I don't recommend anything low
fat to anyone. Flavored yogurt is a good place to start - sweet and, to
my taste buds, very satisfying. I go for the full-fat kind which is
much more satisfying.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2014 7:21 AM, KenK wrote:
> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>
> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>
> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
> don't fill me up.
>
> Asking too much?
>
> TIA

Grapes?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:33:15 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> You want
> filling, suck down a few tablespoons of psyllium husks :-)
>
> -sw

You are one sick mofo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2014 6:21 AM, KenK wrote:
> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>
> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>
> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
> don't fill me up.
>
> Asking too much?

Popcorn?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 24, 2014 7:21:23 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>

> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>
> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>

> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
>
> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>
> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
>
> don't fill me up.
>

> Asking too much?
>

> TIA
>

> --
>
> "Where there's smoke there's toast!" Anon

POPCORN !!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jan 2014 13:21:23 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> "Where there's smoke there's toast!"

Just wanted to let you know I love your sig!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

White Spirit wrote:

> On 24/01/2014 13:21, KenK wrote:
>
> > Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.

> > Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
> > cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!

> > Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
> > 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
> > fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
> > don't fill me up.

> Grated carrots or sticks of celery will meet your requirements.

Oh yeah...if you're hungry, celery sticks and carrots will satisfy
that. LOL. Not for 5 minutes after you finish eating them.

Eat a high fat snack. It will last you longer. Try a hamburger or
some sausage on buttered toast.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2014 5:47 PM, Gary wrote:
> White Spirit wrote:
>>
>> On 24/01/2014 13:21, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.

>>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>>> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!

>>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
>>> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>>> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
>>> don't fill me up.

>> Grated carrots or sticks of celery will meet your requirements.

> Oh yeah...if you're hungry, celery sticks and carrots will satisfy
> that. LOL. Not for 5 minutes after you finish eating them.
>
> Eat a high fat snack. It will last you longer. Try a hamburger or
> some sausage on buttered toast.
>
> G.

A hamburger shortly after dinner? I still think he's not eating enough
"supper" if he feels he has to snack.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:47:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>White Spirit wrote:
>>
>> On 24/01/2014 13:21, KenK wrote:
>>
>> > Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
>> > 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>> > fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
>> > don't fill me up.

Remove those dentures and dial Bwrrrryan! LOL-LOL

>> Grated carrots or sticks of celery will meet your requirements.

>Oh yeah...if you're hungry, celery sticks and carrots will satisfy
>that. LOL. Not for 5 minutes after you finish eating them.
>
>Eat a high fat snack. It will last you longer. Try a hamburger or
>some sausage on buttered toast.
>
>G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Sweet, chewable, and filling: oatmeal with brown sugar.

Now you're talking. I do that occasionally for a late evening snack.
Oatmeal with butter and brown sugar. Sometimes with a bit of raisins
too.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>
> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>
> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream,
> etc.
> don't fill me up.
>
> Asking too much?
>
> TIA

Is there a reason for the no or low fat? Fat is what helps to fill us up.
How about a baked potato?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"White Spirit" > wrote in message
> On 24/01/2014 13:21, KenK wrote:
>
>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off
>> topic.

>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded
>> Oreos!

>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8"
>> and
>> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream,
>> etc.
>> don't fill me up.

> Grated carrots or sticks of celery will meet your requirements.

Grated carrots perhaps but celery sticks would be hard to chew. Refried
beans could work though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On 24 Jan 2014 13:21:23 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off
>> topic.
>>
>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded
>> Oreos!
>>
>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8"
>> and
>> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream,
>> etc.
>> don't fill me up.

> My late night snack are usually pickled something. I have all sorts
> of pickled stuff (kimchi, beets, pickle chips, malt onions, mam tom
> hue (pickled shrimp and papaya), etc...) They are all virtually fat
> free, pack a lot of flavor, but not exactly filling. You want
> filling, suck down a few tablespoons of psyllium husks :-)

I like a big dill, split in half lengthwise, patted dry and put back
together with peanut butter in the middle. Not low fat though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 24, 2014 2:47:36 PM UTC-8, Gary wrote:
> White Spirit wrote:
>

> > On 24/01/2014 13:21, KenK wrote:

> > > Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.

> > > Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to

> > > cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!

> > > Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and

> > > 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-

> > > fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.

> > > don't fill me up.

> > Grated carrots or sticks of celery will meet your requirements.

> Oh yeah...if you're hungry, celery sticks and carrots will satisfy
>
> that. LOL. Not for 5 minutes after you finish eating them.
>

> Eat a high fat snack. It will last you longer. Try a hamburger or
>
> some sausage on buttered toast.
>

> G.

Yeah and a hot dog and big bowl of butt burnin' chili!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> You do realize that low-fat eating has moved from being recommended to
> increasingly being villainized, I hope. I don't recommend anything low
> fat to anyone. Flavored yogurt is a good place to start - sweet and, to
> my taste buds, very satisfying. I go for the full-fat kind which is much
> more satisfying.

Agree with you there. And perhaps the reason he is hungry is because he
isn't eating fat with his meals.

Although I managed to lose 30 pounds by eating low calories and little to no
fat, I was miserable. Hungry all the time! Since then I have seen many
dieticians and all but the last two told me that I *must* add fat to my
diet. By the time I saw the last two, I was eating fat.

But prior to that my diet was mostly raw vegetables, cooked beans, rice,
pasta, air popped popcorn, egg whites, tiny portions of low fat cheese, a
little fruit. Once in a while I would allow myself a more normal meal like
a waffle or nachos in a restaurant but on a day to day basis there was not
much fat save for the small amount of natural fat in things like corn.
That's just not the way to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria p" > wrote in message
> Popcorn?

That's what often eat but with dentures, perhaps not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Eat a high fat snack. It will last you longer. Try a hamburger or
> > some sausage on buttered toast.
> >

> A hamburger shortly after dinner? I still think he's not eating enough
> "supper" if he feels he has to snack.

I suspect you are right but I've been known to eat a hamburger later
in the evening (not shortly after dinner). I'll often cook 2 burgers
and only eat one for dinner. Several hours later, I'll eat the other
one.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/24/2014 5:47 PM, Gary wrote:
>> White Spirit wrote:

>>> Grated carrots or sticks of celery will meet your requirements.

>> Oh yeah...if you're hungry, celery sticks and carrots will satisfy
>> that. LOL. Not for 5 minutes after you finish eating them.
>>
>> Eat a high fat snack. It will last you longer. Try a hamburger or
>> some sausage on buttered toast.
>>
>> G.
>>

> A hamburger shortly after dinner? I still think he's not eating enough
> "supper" if he feels he has to snack.

Sometimes people snack when bored. But me? I sometimes eat dinner at 6:00
p.m. and go to bed at 7:00 a.m. So I do need to eat something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > Eat a high fat snack. It will last you longer. Try a hamburger or
>> > some sausage on buttered toast.
>> >

>> A hamburger shortly after dinner? I still think he's not eating enough
>> "supper" if he feels he has to snack.

> I suspect you are right but I've been known to eat a hamburger later
> in the evening (not shortly after dinner). I'll often cook 2 burgers
> and only eat one for dinner. Several hours later, I'll eat the other
> one.

Guys do seem to do that. Don't know many women who are like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" >
> I like a big dill, split in half lengthwise, patted dry and put back
> together with peanut butter in the middle. Not low fat though.

Are you kidding? Peanut butter on a dill pickle? really? My taste buds
are trying to imagine and can not. Is this something some people really
like? I got over Elvis wanting bacon on his peanut butter . . . but a dill
pickle? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-24 08:21, KenK wrote:
> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>
> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
> cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>
> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
> 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
> fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
> don't fill me up.

Grapes or some other fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" >
>> I like a big dill, split in half lengthwise, patted dry and put back
>> together with peanut butter in the middle. Not low fat though.

> Are you kidding? Peanut butter on a dill pickle? really? My taste buds
> are trying to imagine and can not. Is this something some people really
> like? I got over Elvis wanting bacon on his peanut butter . . . but a
> dill pickle? Polly

Nope. Not kidding. I started eating peanut butter and dill pickle
sandwiches as a kid. In that case you cut thick slices lengthwise, pat dry
and put on soft white bread.

That's too carby for a snack for me now though and... I remember getting a
recipe many years ago from a Mexican cookbook where you hollowed out a dill
pickle, cut in half and filled it with flaked tuna. Not tuna salad. Just
tuna. Never tried it but thought I would do the same with peanut butter.
Rather than hollowing it out, I did that. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" wrote in message ...

Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.

Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!

Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
don't fill me up.

Asking too much?

TIA

~~~~~~~~
I learned years ago that I should have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon
snack. It helps to keep my sugar regulated. You are looking for an
after-supper snack, and that could serve the same purpose (although it works
better for me to avoid snacks in the evening). I suspect my snacks might
not be what you want since you said you have become addicted to cookies.
However, here are some examples of my snacks: crunch on carrots or raw
cauliflower; an apple with a little bit of peanut butter; a handful of
almonds or walnuts; cheese with peanut butter or even string cheese; a small
bowl of fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries, often with plain yogurt;
a Clementine; etc. I often strain plain yogurt to make what is sometimes
called "yogurt cheese" and then mix that with fresh fruit. If I am really
hungry, I may roll up a slice or two of thin-cut deli meat and eat that with
cheese or fruit.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 21:08:34 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>"KenK" wrote in message ...
>
>Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off topic.
>
>Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted to
>cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the dreaded Oreos!
>
>Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5' 8" and
>155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with my ill-
>fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF ice cream, etc.
>don't fill me up.
>
>Asking too much?
>
>TIA

Apple with peanut butter would be good. I'll have to try that. It
supplies crunch, sweet and protein and would fill an empty feeling.
Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>> Not cooking but food oriented and thus perhaps not all that far off
>> topic.
>>
>> Looking for a low or no-fat after-supper snack. I've become addicted
>> to cookies - fig bars, chocolate chip, graham crackers and the
>> dreaded Oreos!
>>
>> Any suggestions for someting filling and more healthy. I'm still 5'
>> 8" and 155 but gradually gaining weight. Something easy to chew with
>> my ill- fitting dentures. Fruit, jello and fruit, raisins, RF or FF
>> ice cream, etc.
>> don't fill me up.
>>
>> Asking too much?
>>
>> TIA

> Is there a reason for the no or low fat? I forget now why I switched

to this low-fat diet. It's been decades. Maybe just because I thought it
was healthier.

> Fat is what helps to fill us
> up. How about a baked potato?

Had a big one with salt and oleo for part of meal last night after
dinner. Still ended up eating a few cookies later in the evening.
However, earlier, after lunch I tried some plain saltines instead of
cookies - very low fat and calories. It worked. I'll have to remember
that.

Snacks Brooklyn1 General Cooking 10 06-08-2015 10:13 PM
low fat snacks JuleezTupper Vegetarian cooking 14 03-03-2005 04:59 PM
Snacks Pauline Roberts Vegetarian cooking 0 13-10-2003 08:23 AM