Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pavlova

http://www.reddiwip.com/real-cream-difference

> The rest are water, sugar, corn syrup, natural and artificial
> flavours, mono- and diglycerides, carageenan, and the propellant nitrous
> oxide.
>
> Here's what mono-and diglycerides are
>
> http://www.stopkillingmykids.com/mon...-diglycerides/
>
> Janet UK

My late F-I-L was once chairman of the UK Dairy and Ice-cream Commission
(or some big industry body of similar name).
At some big exhibition there was a stand promoting an artificial cheese.
He asked why on earth would they make such a thing and the answer was:
"Shelf life."
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:10:26 -0300, wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 08:31:01 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >Nancy is probably like I am. I don't use enough whipped cream to make
> >whipping my own every time I want a dab worth while. Buying a whole
> >carton to whip is a waste of time and money, but having a can of
> >something whose first ingredient is heavy cream is fine for the
> >occasional dab on something. When guests are over and I need enough
> >for it to make sense - sure I'll buy a carton of heavy cream and whip
> >it, but the only time I ever do that is when I have pumpkin pie to eat
> >and that's once a year. Then I'll whip the carton and let it drip
> >overnight in a fine strainer so the leftovers won't separate on me.
> >It's something I didn't even do once last year. Canned whipped cream
> >is fine for the far less than once in a Blue Moon occasional need and
> >I want the product to be shelf stable, because it won't be used up
> >immediately or even any time soon. If I bought a can right now, I'd
> >still have half of it left by Valentine's Day... maybe more.

> Do you mean to tell me you can't buy little containers (250ml) of
> fresh whipping cream in the USA ?

Of course I can. That's way too much cream to whip for one or two
servings.

> That's just enough for topping a
> pie, or serving with pavlova.

You must look like a whale if you can eat an entire pie or pavlova in
one sitting.

> I only buy a 1litre size at Xmas.

I'd only buy that size if I'm serving it to 20-30 people, which is
*never* these days and 8 people would mean leftovers if I whipped up a
16 oz carton.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:13:33 -0300, wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:38:26 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...
> >>
> >> Janet UK, why do you say Reddi Whip is "godawful."

> > Because it's processed slime.
> >
> > > It is real whipped cream.

> > First, it's not been whipped, it's nitrous-oxide propelled giving a
> >horrible texture; and second, it's not pure cream; cream is only ONE of
> >the ingredients, see

http://www.reddiwip.com/real-cream-difference

> > The rest are water, sugar, corn syrup, natural and artificial
> >flavours, mono- and diglycerides, carageenan, and the propellant nitrous
> >oxide.
> >
> > Here's what mono-and diglycerides are
> >
> > http://www.stopkillingmykids.com/mon...-diglycerides/
> >
> > Janet UK

> I have never used it but figured there had to be 'stuff' in it if it
> kept forever and was propelled out. Seems to be mostly the
> ingredients why I prefer to make my own icecream, rather than buy
> store bought. The latter has a list of chemical ingredients so you
> could be forgiven thinking you were buying a fire extinguisher or
> similar

You're eating way too much whipped cream anyway if that's going to
make any sort of a difference in your DtD health.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> says...

http://www.reddiwip.com/real-cream-difference

> >> I have never used it but figured there had to be 'stuff' in it if it
> >> kept forever and was propelled out. Seems to be mostly the
> >> ingredients why I prefer to make my own icecream, rather than buy
> >> store bought. The latter has a list of chemical ingredients so you
> >> could be forgiven thinking you were buying a fire extinguisher or
> >> similar

> >You're eating way too much whipped cream anyway if that's going to
> >make any sort of a difference in your DtD health.

> You don't know me so how do you make that call ? Today I walked for
> over an hour, steep uphill, downhill stuff. Came home and washed the
> outside of the 17ft balcony windows ready for winter coming. Did a
> load of washing. Went to a friends and did all the pics she needed
> done for advertising some stuff. Pretty average day for me, how about
> telling us all you achieved ?
>
> Supper tonight, grilled chicken leg, baked spud and sprouts. No
> dessert, only when I have visitors. I had a boiled egg for lunch
> with a piece of toast, yogurt and two kiwis for brekkie.
>
> And you ? How much did you consume? How much did you burn ?
>
> I believe you are overweight and don't do much, would that be
> correct??

Oh, so you didn't like what I said huh? Well, you can put my canned
whipped cream in your pipe and smoke it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.reddiwip.com/real-cream-difference

> >> You don't know me so how do you make that call ? Today I walked for
> >> over an hour, steep uphill, downhill stuff. Came home and washed the
> >> outside of the 17ft balcony windows ready for winter coming. Did a
> >> load of washing. Went to a friends and did all the pics she needed
> >> done for advertising some stuff. Pretty average day for me, how about
> >> telling us all you achieved ?
> >>
> >> Supper tonight, grilled chicken leg, baked spud and sprouts. No
> >> dessert, only when I have visitors. I had a boiled egg for lunch
> >> with a piece of toast, yogurt and two kiwis for brekkie.
> >>
> >> And you ? How much did you consume? How much did you burn ?
> >>
> >> I believe you are overweight and don't do much, would that be
> >> correct??

> >Oh, so you didn't like what I said huh? Well, you can put my canned
> >whipped cream in your pipe and smoke it.

> So it is clear then, you are overweight, under active and criticizing
> someone who isn't for putting real cream on their dessert. That
> certainly seems justifiable - not !

<snicker>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> Because Xmas and NY are sociable holidays when people who have friends
> >> expect lots to drop in?
> >>

> >If I don't expect them, I won't answer the door.

> That would definitely explain why nobody would bother to knock ! Do
> you not have any good friends, close friends ?

Different culture here. It's rude to just drop by unannounced. I see
the people I want to see as much as I choose throughout the year and
don't consider the holidays a time when it's okay for anyone to drop
by without calling ahead. Maybe I'd have a different attitude if I
lived in close quarters like a condo or apartment building where
people are screened at the door, but I don't and I won't answer the
door unless I'm expecting a caller. Too many strangers knock on the
door in the name of some fictional cause to have a sudden change of
attitude during the holiday season.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Not too many people bother with wigs anymore, go bald and march on
>>> with pride Just think, no more curling irons etc etc. If your
>>> fellow passengers mind, they have the problem, not you!
>>>

>> Thanks. I needed your encouragement.
>>
>> I'm mostly bald on the sides. I'll have my stylist cut my hair on
>> Tuesday so it looks neater and less like an old guy whose comb-over fell
>> down :-). I did order some powder from QVC that colors your scalp so
>> your hair doesn't look so thin. It does distract somewhat as light
>> scalp isn't shining through. :-)

> Heaven forbid anyone think you have a comb over, just have a care you
> don't get a sunburn though. Really, don't worry about it, you've been
> through too much to worry about hair

True. It will be cold (for me) in Europe so I'll have on a hat when I
am outdoors.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> If I don't expect them, I won't answer the door.

>> That would definitely explain why nobody would bother to knock ! Do
>> you not have any good friends, close friends ?

> Different culture here. It's rude to just drop by unannounced. I see
> the people I want to see as much as I choose throughout the year and
> don't consider the holidays a time when it's okay for anyone to drop
> by without calling ahead. Maybe I'd have a different attitude if I
> lived in close quarters like a condo or apartment building where
> people are screened at the door, but I don't and I won't answer the
> door unless I'm expecting a caller. Too many strangers knock on the
> door in the name of some fictional cause to have a sudden change of
> attitude during the holiday season.

I'm with SF as far as opening the door to strangers. I have a can of
wasp spray right near my front door, just in case of emergency. I also
can hit the panic button on my alarm if I'm frightened.

During the winter, when a lot of my friends come down for the season,
it's not unusual for someone to just stop by and ring the bell. If I
know them, I let them in. I always have a jug of homemade ice tea and
one of chilled, filtered water in the fridge, so I can offer them a
beverage.

My house is out in the boonies and I have no neighbors, so I am very
careful. I will not open the door for anyone but the UPS, FedEx man or
the postman and the lawn service guy if he needs me for something.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Pavlova - a WIP Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 6 26-01-2014 09:51 PM
Pavlova Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 08-09-2006 07:36 PM
pavlova Tim Recipes 0 16-12-2005 01:32 AM
Pavlova Daisy General Cooking 1 07-03-2004 02:11 AM
Pavlova Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-01-2004 01:19 AM