Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Pavlova

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:10:26 -0300, wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 08:31:01 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >Nancy is probably like I am. I don't use enough whipped cream to make
> >whipping my own every time I want a dab worth while. Buying a whole
> >carton to whip is a waste of time and money, but having a can of
> >something whose first ingredient is heavy cream is fine for the
> >occasional dab on something. When guests are over and I need enough
> >for it to make sense - sure I'll buy a carton of heavy cream and whip
> >it, but the only time I ever do that is when I have pumpkin pie to eat
> >and that's once a year. Then I'll whip the carton and let it drip
> >overnight in a fine strainer so the leftovers won't separate on me.
> >It's something I didn't even do once last year. Canned whipped cream
> >is fine for the far less than once in a Blue Moon occasional need and
> >I want the product to be shelf stable, because it won't be used up
> >immediately or even any time soon. If I bought a can right now, I'd
> >still have half of it left by Valentine's Day... maybe more.

> Do you mean to tell me you can't buy little containers (250ml) of
> fresh whipping cream in the USA ?

Of course I can. That's way too much cream to whip for one or two
servings.

> That's just enough for topping a
> pie, or serving with pavlova.

You must look like a whale if you can eat an entire pie or pavlova in
one sitting.

> I only buy a 1litre size at Xmas.

I'd only buy that size if I'm serving it to 20-30 people, which is
*never* these days and 8 people would mean leftovers if I whipped up a
16 oz carton.