Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trader Joe's

We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The place
was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at each and
every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get elsewhere. And
their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite small though. So it
could be that there are others that sell more products than this one does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
> strip mall ...

What is a 'strip mall'? Is that the same as 'shopping mall'?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
>> strip mall ...

> What is a 'strip mall'? Is that the same as 'shopping mall'?

A shopping mall generally implies that at least some of it is enclosed so
that you can go from store to store without being exposed to the elements.
But as malls tend to expand, they sometimes have some stores on the outside
where you do have to go from store to store and you could get wet if it is
raining.

Strip malls often border shopping malls but they don't have to. It is
simply two or more stores or other businesses such as restaurants, hair or
nail salons, banks, etc., strung together in a row but sharing the same
parking lot. There may or may not be some sort of overhang that prevents
you from getting wet if you have to go from business to business.

Some strip malls have as little as 2-3 businesses there. Others are much
larger and might form an L shape or even have stores on 3 sides. Here's a
link that has pics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_malls

We had a different type of mall when I lived on Cape Cod but now I can't
remember the term for it. The businesses at two of the outer edges were all
connected, one of which being a large grocery store. The parking was
available surrounding the mall and you might have to walk a ways to get to
the business you wanted to visit because... In between the two sides were
many winding pathways, assorted gardens and other things to look at. Now
that I think about it, they may have called it a garden mall. Some of the
stores were connected in some fashion but not necessarily a strip. Although
my husband and I liked some of the stores there, we hated going there.
Reason being that the stores we wanted to go to were deep into the middle of
the place. There was simply no quick way to get there. You had to walk all
down the winding paths and that was no fun to do if it was raining. I think
it was intended more of a tourist attraction than anything else. They built
it not long before we moved from there so many of the spaces had not been
rented out yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:14:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> > interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
> > strip mall ...

> What is a 'strip mall'? Is that the same as 'shopping mall'?

When I visualize a "strip" mall, it is not enclosed. It is a small
shopping center where all the stores have their own entrance to the
parking lot and there is no interior corridor that connects the
stores.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>>> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
>>> strip mall ...

>> What is a 'strip mall'? Is that the same as 'shopping mall'?

> A shopping mall generally implies that at least some of it is enclosed so
> that you can go from store to store without being exposed to the elements.
> But as malls tend to expand, they sometimes have some stores on the
> outside where you do have to go from store to store and you could get wet
> if it is raining.

Thanks)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:14:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> > We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>> > interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
>> > strip mall ...

>> What is a 'strip mall'? Is that the same as 'shopping mall'?

> When I visualize a "strip" mall, it is not enclosed. It is a small
> shopping center where all the stores have their own entrance to the
> parking lot and there is no interior corridor that connects the
> stores.

Thanks)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> interest. Nope.

Trader Joe's doesn't do much for me either. I haven't been impressed
with the few things that I've bought there. IMO, it's a "cool kid"
grocery store.

IE - "Oh, I *never* shop at a regular grocery store (gasp!).
I only shop at TJ's or WF.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>> interest. Nope.

> Trader Joe's doesn't do much for me either. I haven't been impressed
> with the few things that I've bought there. IMO, it's a "cool kid"
> grocery store.
>
> IE - "Oh, I *never* shop at a regular grocery store (gasp!).
> I only shop at TJ's or WF.

We went to WF too but only bought a few things. I try to do the bulk of my
grocery shopping at Winco when I can but it's not close to where I live.
Prices are cheap though so mostly get the shelf stable stuff there.
Albertsons is probably my next most used store only because there is one by
daughter's dance studio. So if I just need a few things, I can usually get
them there. Also use Costco and PCC or Central Market both of which are
similar to WF but Central Market also sells some mainstream products like
Coke and Pepsi.

I used to really be into the organic thing but was saddened to see that
despite things being grown organically, they are still picking up chemicals
so are not necessarily as pristine as one would hope. So... Now I just go
for the cheap with my produce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:40:29 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> > interest. Nope.

> Trader Joe's doesn't do much for me either. I haven't been impressed
> with the few things that I've bought there. IMO, it's a "cool kid"
> grocery store.
>
> IE - "Oh, I *never* shop at a regular grocery store (gasp!).
> I only shop at TJ's or WF.

Who says that?

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 7:14 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:14:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>>> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
>>> strip mall ...

>> What is a 'strip mall'? Is that the same as 'shopping mall'?

> When I visualize a "strip" mall, it is not enclosed. It is a small
> shopping center where all the stores have their own entrance to the
> parking lot and there is no interior corridor that connects the
> stores.

That's as good a description as any.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 07:40:29 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> > >
> > > We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> > > interest. Nope.

> > Trader Joe's doesn't do much for me either. I haven't been impressed
> > with the few things that I've bought there. IMO, it's a "cool kid"
> > grocery store.
> >
> > IE - "Oh, I *never* shop at a regular grocery store (gasp!).
> > I only shop at TJ's or WF.
> >

> Who says that?

Probably YOU, for one. You project yourself to fit the profile.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12-Jan-2014, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
> strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The
> place
> was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at each and
> every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get elsewhere.
> And
> their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite small though. So
> it
> could be that there are others that sell more products than this one does.

Interest in TJ's is dependent on what kinds of foods you like and your
willingness to experiment. When I first encountered TJ's, it was when I was
travelling to SFBA on a regular basis; many folks raved about TJ's but I saw
nothing of interest. $2 bottles of wine were important to others, but I
don't drink, therefor couldn't care less.

However, TJ's now is available in my area and I go once a month or so to
stock up on a few things. Blistered peanuts are sooooo good and
unavailable anywhere else I shop. Uncle Sam cereal (which I eat several
days each week) is nearly $1/box less expensive. The cheese selection is
excellent and well priced. Flank steak is very good and $1.5--$2/lb cheaper
than at most supermarkets. There are two shopping bags full of such things
I buy from TJ's on my monthly trip; there'd be more if I were hung up on
"organic" foods; their price for organic produce is much better than most
supermarkets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 09:33:34 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > Trader Joe's doesn't do much for me either. I haven't been impressed
> > > with the few things that I've bought there. IMO, it's a "cool kid"
> > > grocery store.
> > >
> > > IE - "Oh, I *never* shop at a regular grocery store (gasp!).
> > > I only shop at TJ's or WF.
> > >

> > Who says that?

> Probably YOU, for one. You project yourself to fit the profile.

Then you'd be wrong. I'm the one who complains about all the
"complainahs" who think TJ's *should* be a full service grocery store
and then yap about how awful it is after they figure out that it's
not. And I rarely shop at WF.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 3:47 PM, T wrote:

> That said, I think states need to loosen up on alcohol sales laws. All
> supermarkets should be able to sell beer, ale and wine.

I had to ask at Publix today whether or not they can sell wine on
Sundays. Who can keep up? Apparently the supermarkets can and do sell
wine, beer and ale on Sundays. But the liquor stores choose close.

In Shelby County, Tennessee, supermarkets couldn't sell wine. No place
could sell it on Sunday. You couldn't buy beer in a liquor store. You
couldn't buy wine in a store that sold beer or liquor. Uh, what?! But
you could buy beer in a supermarket or convenience store after 12 Noon
on Sunday. The laws are all stupid.

> For example, if I drive to the TJ's in Warwick (12 miles) they can't
> sell alcoholic beverages. But go north about 23 miles of me to
> Foxborough, MA and the state law there says they can sell beer, ale and
> wines in supermarkets.

Is Warwick in a dry county? Or is it the TJ's there just doesn't have a
liquor license?

> There are lot of stupid things between Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
> The biggest among them is our sales tax. 7% in RI, and 6.25% in MA.

Sales tax is goofy everywhere. When I left Tennessee for good in 2009
it was 9.25%, and that included essentials such as food and clothing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 12-Jan-2014, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
>> strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The
>> place
>> was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at each and
>> every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get elsewhere.
>> And
>> their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite small though. So
>> it
>> could be that there are others that sell more products than this one
>> does.

> Interest in TJ's is dependent on what kinds of foods you like and your
> willingness to experiment. When I first encountered TJ's, it was when I
> was
> travelling to SFBA on a regular basis; many folks raved about TJ's but I
> saw
> nothing of interest. $2 bottles of wine were important to others, but I
> don't drink, therefor couldn't care less.
>
> However, TJ's now is available in my area and I go once a month or so to
> stock up on a few things. Blistered peanuts are sooooo good and
> unavailable anywhere else I shop. Uncle Sam cereal (which I eat several
> days each week) is nearly $1/box less expensive. The cheese selection is
> excellent and well priced. Flank steak is very good and $1.5--$2/lb
> cheaper
> than at most supermarkets. There are two shopping bags full of such
> things
> I buy from TJ's on my monthly trip; there'd be more if I were hung up on
> "organic" foods; their price for organic produce is much better than most
> supermarkets.

The produce at mine is often bad. I've been burned so many times on it, I
won't buy it. Have not tried their blistered peanuts but have tried them
from other places and did not care for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:37:50 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:14:58 -0000, "Ophelia"

> > > wrote:

> >> What is a 'strip mall'? Is that the same as 'shopping mall'?

> > When I visualize a "strip" mall, it is not enclosed. It is a small
> > shopping center where all the stores have their own entrance to the
> > parking lot and there is no interior corridor that connects the
> > stores.

> Thanks)

In Chicago, they are modernizing some shopping districts that consisted of blocks of stores whose fronts were flush with the sidewalks, with strip
malls. The only practical difference is now you park in front of the
businesses instead of behind them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:37:50 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:14:58 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > When I visualize a "strip" mall, it is not enclosed. It is a small
>> > shopping center where all the stores have their own entrance to the
>> > parking lot and there is no interior corridor that connects the
>> > stores.

>> Thanks)

> In Chicago, they are modernizing some shopping districts that consisted of
> blocks of stores whose fronts were flush with the sidewalks, with strip
> malls. The only practical difference is now you park in front of the
> businesses instead of behind them.

Oh? So are they more separated than they were, or have they more space out
front now?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:37:50 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:14:58 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > When I visualize a "strip" mall, it is not enclosed. It is a small
>> > shopping center where all the stores have their own entrance to the
>> > parking lot and there is no interior corridor that connects the
>> > stores.

>> Thanks)

> In Chicago, they are modernizing some shopping districts that consisted of
> blocks of stores whose fronts were flush with the sidewalks, with strip
> malls. The only practical difference is now you park in front of the
> businesses instead of behind them.

Hmmm... They are now doing the opposite here and I just don't get it. You
can't really tell what the businesses are from the busy streets they are on
because you just see a small sign with the name and the back of the
business. The buildings literally bump up to the sidewalk. Took me so long
to figure out that this one place was a wine and cheese bar that by the time
I did figure it out, it was something else. They are also doing really wild
designs with the buildings. They do attract your eye but in order to figure
out what they are, unless you get backed up in traffic and are just sitting
there, you have to drive around.

There is a section of stores in Berwick PA in the downtown area that has a
parking lot behind it. I have seen such a setup in other places too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 04:04:51 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> We had a different type of mall when I lived on Cape Cod but now I can't
>> remember the term for it. The businesses at two of the outer edges were
>> all
>> connected, one of which being a large grocery store. The parking was
>> available surrounding the mall and you might have to walk a ways to get
>> the business you wanted to visit because... In between the two sides
>> were
>> many winding pathways, assorted gardens and other things to look at.

> In California, at least, those would be "Town and Country". Not sure
> if that was a brand name or what, but they all that same style. We
> have them here in Texas as well. I think they may also be generically
> called open air malls.

Ah... Maybe that is what they called it. I do remember seeing some in CA
when we first moved there but not near where we lived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/14, 11:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 15:47:58 -0500, T wrote:
>
>> There are a number of things I like at Trader Joe's. Their dijon mustard
>> is fanastic.

> That ($1.69 for a big big jar) and the horseradish cheddar potato
> chips ($1.99 x 2) I've bought every time I'm there. And their burrata
> ($4.99).

They have jars of corn salsa (with no tomato) that are terrific.

Plus their English Coastal Cheddar is an excellent buy.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/14, 11:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 15:47:58 -0500, T wrote:
>>
>>> There are a number of things I like at Trader Joe's. Their dijon mustard
>>> is fanastic.

>> That ($1.69 for a big big jar) and the horseradish cheddar potato
>> chips ($1.99 x 2) I've bought every time I'm there. And their burrata
>> ($4.99).

> They have jars of corn salsa (with no tomato) that are terrific.
>
> Plus their English Coastal Cheddar is an excellent buy.

I am not a fan of corn in salsa and can't really fathom a corn salsa with no
tomato. Is it more like a relish?

When I ate cheese I bought all kinds. But my family is cheese boring. They
prefer Tillamook but if I can't get that, they will eat Kraft, Bandon or
even a store brand. Mostly they prefer medium cheddar but they will also
eat sharp and mild. Sometimes Colby Jack or string cheese. Sometimes I
vary what I put on my husband's sandwiches but I think he prefers American.
And daughter has recently taken a liking to feta but husband won't eat that.
So... I have quite buying the different kinds. Still have some left from
Christmas. Thankfully I only bought small pieces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
> strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The
> place was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at each
> and every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get
> elsewhere. And their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite
> small though. So it could be that there are others that sell more
> products than this one does.

Things I buy at TJ's: nuts, almond flour, low-carb chips, eggplant parm
(not breaded, not fried, very LC), veggies, some supplements, etc. I
was picking up packages for some of the refrigerated foods recently (I
forget what started that; maybe I was looking at the ingredients in the
lobster bisque ere I put it back) and was shocked to see that many now
contain isolated soy protein among other things that I don't want to
consume. It seems to me that in days of yore, TJ's ingredients were
pretty pure (i.e., what I would find in my own kitchen). What happened?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> We went to WF too but only bought a few things. I try to do the bulk of
> my grocery shopping at Winco when I can but it's not close to where I
> live. Prices are cheap though so mostly get the shelf stable stuff
> there. Albertsons is probably my next most used store only because there
> is one by daughter's dance studio. So if I just need a few things, I can
> usually get them there. Also use Costco and PCC or Central Market both
> of which are similar to WF but Central Market also sells some mainstream
> products like Coke and Pepsi.
>
> I used to really be into the organic thing but was saddened to see that
> despite things being grown organically, they are still picking up
> chemicals so are not necessarily as pristine as one would hope. So...
> Now I just go for the cheap with my produce.

Then you get into the whole issue of provenance. For example, if an
organic thing comes from an extremely polluted area, "organic" is still
not good enough.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
>> strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The
>> place was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at each
>> and every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get
>> elsewhere. And their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite
>> small though. So it could be that there are others that sell more
>> products than this one does.

> Things I buy at TJ's: nuts, almond flour, low-carb chips, eggplant parm
> (not breaded, not fried, very LC), veggies, some supplements, etc. I was
> picking up packages for some of the refrigerated foods recently (I forget
> what started that; maybe I was looking at the ingredients in the lobster
> bisque ere I put it back) and was shocked to see that many now contain
> isolated soy protein among other things that I don't want to consume. It
> seems to me that in days of yore, TJ's ingredients were pretty pure (i.e.,
> what I would find in my own kitchen). What happened?

Yeah, that soy protein is everywhere!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 21:51:31 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I was looking at the ingredients in the
> lobster bisque ere I put it back) and was shocked to see that many now
> contain isolated soy protein among other things that I don't want to
> consume. It seems to me that in days of yore, TJ's ingredients were
> pretty pure (i.e., what I would find in my own kitchen). What happened?

People wanted to be a "grocery store". What did you expect? They
still have pure products (like the marinara I talk about), but you
have to read the labels to find them.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>> interest. Nope.

> Trader Joe's doesn't do much for me either. I haven't been impressed
> with the few things that I've bought there. IMO, it's a "cool kid"
> grocery store.
>
> IE - "Oh, I *never* shop at a regular grocery store (gasp!).
> I only shop at TJ's or WF.
>
> G.

There's a class of store, like TJ, WF, and Wegman's, that I go to
occasionally like I'd occasionally go to Disneyworld, for the glitz and
the glamour. And like Disneyworld, they're pretty much always
overpriced. I very seldom buy anything at them, although each has one or
two things that are reasonably priced that I enjoy, but they're fun to
wander through. I put them all in the same class as the yuppie one-off
food stores that usually have the word "Farm" in their name and require a
Dun and Bradstreet rating to enter.

And I always wonder when I look at the people who obviously do their
regular shopping in places like that, how the Hades can they afford it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 3.30...
> Gary > wrote in :
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>>> interest. Nope.

>> Trader Joe's doesn't do much for me either. I haven't been impressed
>> with the few things that I've bought there. IMO, it's a "cool kid"
>> grocery store.
>>
>> IE - "Oh, I *never* shop at a regular grocery store (gasp!).
>> I only shop at TJ's or WF.
>>
>> G.

> There's a class of store, like TJ, WF, and Wegman's, that I go to
> occasionally like I'd occasionally go to Disneyworld, for the glitz and
> the glamour. And like Disneyworld, they're pretty much always
> overpriced. I very seldom buy anything at them, although each has one or
> two things that are reasonably priced that I enjoy, but they're fun to
> wander through. I put them all in the same class as the yuppie one-off
> food stores that usually have the word "Farm" in their name and require a
> Dun and Bradstreet rating to enter.
>
> And I always wonder when I look at the people who obviously do their
> regular shopping in places like that, how the Hades can they afford it?

I don't think TJs has bad prices. Just not really good prices on a lot of
things. I have never seen anyone with a full cart at WFs though. Like me,
they buy perhaps 2-12 items at a time. And oddly enough, some of what we
buy is not groceries. I have bought books in there and daughter has bought
shoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
> strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The
> place was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at each
> and every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get elsewhere.
> And their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite small though.
> So it could be that there are others that sell more products than this one
> does.

I wrote off TJs today. I was only going there for cheese and wine recently.
Then they had this Peruvian raw shrimp. It was good. It was a very good
value at 9 bucks a pound. So today I went there to get more and they had
Chinese crap in its place. Tiny shrimps and judging by the ice 50% water.
I asked what happened to the Peruvian shrimp and was told they were gone
forever. They said "try the cooked shrimp." Oh yeah, I did before and they
sucked ass. Utter crap and 90% water. So that didn't take long, Ever time
I find something I like it is discontinued. They even DCd the savory whole
grain crackers I liked. Also gone forever..

That's it for TJs. Never again. Screw them, they suck mightily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't think TJs has bad prices. Just not really good prices on a lot of
> things. I have never seen anyone with a full cart at WFs though. Like me,
> they buy perhaps 2-12 items at a time. And oddly enough, some of what we
> buy is not groceries. I have bought books in there and daughter has bought
> shoes.

Whole Food sells shoes? Must be organic shoes or maybe vegetarian/soy
shoes?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
>> interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
>> strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The
>> place was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at
>> each and every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get
>> elsewhere. And their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite
>> small though. So it could be that there are others that sell more
>> products than this one does.

> I wrote off TJs today. I was only going there for cheese and wine
> recently. Then they had this Peruvian raw shrimp. It was good. It was a
> very good value at 9 bucks a pound. So today I went there to get more and
> they had Chinese crap in its place. Tiny shrimps and judging by the ice
> 50% water. I asked what happened to the Peruvian shrimp and was told they
> were gone forever. They said "try the cooked shrimp." Oh yeah, I did
> before and they sucked ass. Utter crap and 90% water. So that didn't
> take long, Ever time I find something I like it is discontinued. They
> even DCd the savory whole grain crackers I liked. Also gone forever..
>
> That's it for TJs. Never again. Screw them, they suck mightily.

*High five*!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I don't think TJs has bad prices. Just not really good prices on a lot
>> of
>> things. I have never seen anyone with a full cart at WFs though. Like
>> me,
>> they buy perhaps 2-12 items at a time. And oddly enough, some of what we
>> buy is not groceries. I have bought books in there and daughter has
>> bought
>> shoes.

> Whole Food sells shoes? Must be organic shoes or maybe vegetarian/soy
> shoes?

They sell the Tom's brand. But they only have a few dozen pairs on display.
If you see some you like but not your size, ask. Daughter has gotten very
lucky to get the new styles there. Nordstrom will sell out right away where
as WF does not. They also have a small amount of organic clothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:12:36 -0600, barbie gee >
wrote:

> In our area, TJ's is considered to be an "affordable" version of a mini-Whole Foods.

Trader Joe's is much more affordable than WF and usually better priced
for a higher quality product than a regular grocery store. I have no
idea what a Wegman's is, so I can't make any comparisons to that.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 03:11:42 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > We stopped in there yesterday just to see if there was something of
> > interest. Nope. Actually my mom needed to go into a store in the same
> > strip mall and we didn't need to go in there. So we went to TJs. The
> > place was packed but I just don't get it. Although I didn't look at each
> > and every item, I really didn't see a thing that I couldn't get elsewhere.
> > And their prices didn't seem any cheaper. Our TJs is quite small though.
> > So it could be that there are others that sell more products than this one
> > does.

> I wrote off TJs today. I was only going there for cheese and wine recently.
> Then they had this Peruvian raw shrimp. It was good. It was a very good
> value at 9 bucks a pound. So today I went there to get more and they had
> Chinese crap in its place. Tiny shrimps and judging by the ice 50% water.
> I asked what happened to the Peruvian shrimp and was told they were gone
> forever. They said "try the cooked shrimp." Oh yeah, I did before and they
> sucked ass. Utter crap and 90% water. So that didn't take long, Ever time
> I find something I like it is discontinued. They even DCd the savory whole
> grain crackers I liked. Also gone forever..
>
> That's it for TJs. Never again. Screw them, they suck mightily.

Do you want a cheap price or do you want quality? You can't shop at
Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and expect to pay Walmart prices. It
sounds like the TJ shoppers in your area what cheap, so that's what
they are getting.

I'm surprised TJ's is supplying Chinese shrimp. I don't buy shellfish
anymore, so I don't pay attention to where they are sourced - but it
seems unlikely they would stock anything that iffy here. Maybe our
shoppers demand higher quality, but I don't know. Sounds like as with
any other store - you need to read the labels. In my area (well, an
hour away), some TJ's have gone to entirely TJ labeled items so their
customers can be assured their products are organic and GMO free. I
don't buy m/any frozen items, so I haven't looked in that section, but
I'm pretty sure you'll not just see fish that is wild caught, if line
fishing is the sustainable way to fish that particular one - it will
be line caught... which means it will be more expensive than some fish
that's a by product of trawling with a net.

I've been looking at the fish part of the freezer section ever since
Janet Wilder mentioned using mahi mahi pieces for fish tacos because
TJ's is the only store in this area that understood what I was asking
for. The person I spoke to said they only get it on rare occasion
when their supplier has enough pieces to merit packaging. So, I'm
trolling their freezer section in the hopes of snagging a bag
sometime.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:12:36 -0600, barbie gee >
> wrote:
>
> > In our area, TJ's is considered to be an "affordable" version of a
> > mini-Whole Foods.

> Trader Joe's is much more affordable than WF and usually better priced
> for a higher quality product than a regular grocery store.

That has been my experience as well. However, I don't buy very many things
there because the store is dominated by things I don't use - like frozen
meals and, especially, highly-processed foods. While I find their flank
steak and rack of lamb to be excellent, in quality and value, they are among
the few meats not injected/flavored with something; I want unadulterated
meat. A high percentage of the vegetables offered are pre-somethinged -
sliced, chopped, seasoned, etc.

Perhaps this is not the case in all TJ's; the two I shop in the St. Louis
suburbs are in highly-affluent areas; the typical shopper is a Suburban
driving, cell-phone addicted, under 40 female whose cart is filled with
ready to heat dishes and entrees. The next most typical is the over-40,
past-her-prime, Lexus/Mercedes female with a cart full of wine, cheese and
crackers. Finally, there are the rest of us; out of our element, picking up
a few bargains and things we like that are hard to find elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 5:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> The produce at mine is often bad. I've been burned so many times on
> it, I won't buy it. Have not tried their blistered peanuts but have
> tried them from other places and did not care for them.

The produce at my local TJ's is superior to the grocery stores in our
area, with the exception of the produce found at the high end/luxury
grocery store. It's almost always cheaper, too. I don't care for their
dairy line, the milk/cream/sour cream is inferior to what's available
everywhere else. I buy my cheese and butter direct from a creamery, so
I'm not interested in TJ's cheeses. Their fresh meats tend to be
pricey compared to my neighborhood butcher shops, and of course their
selection isn't as good. I do like their ultra-thin sliced boneless
pork chops, though. They also have the lowest prices in town on fresh
cut flowers.

Their packages of sunflower seeds are half the price of the brands
found at regular retail stores. We are very fond of their dried pasta,
the canned Alaskan red salmon, their organic tomato basil marinara,
and their low-sodium and organic chicken and beef stocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:12:36 -0600, barbie gee >
> wrote:
>
>> In our area, TJ's is considered to be an "affordable" version of a
>> mini-Whole Foods.

> Trader Joe's is much more affordable than WF and usually better priced
> for a higher quality product than a regular grocery store. I have no
> idea what a Wegman's is, so I can't make any comparisons to that.

Higher quality food? I must disagree. Between all the recalls and the
spoiled produce, I would say that most any other grocery store is a better
bet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 14-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:12:36 -0600, barbie gee >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > In our area, TJ's is considered to be an "affordable" version of a
>> > mini-Whole Foods.

>> Trader Joe's is much more affordable than WF and usually better priced
>> for a higher quality product than a regular grocery store.

> That has been my experience as well. However, I don't buy very many
> things
> there because the store is dominated by things I don't use - like frozen
> meals and, especially, highly-processed foods. While I find their flank
> steak and rack of lamb to be excellent, in quality and value, they are
> among
> the few meats not injected/flavored with something; I want unadulterated
> meat. A high percentage of the vegetables offered are pre-somethinged -
> sliced, chopped, seasoned, etc.
>
> Perhaps this is not the case in all TJ's; the two I shop in the St. Louis
> suburbs are in highly-affluent areas; the typical shopper is a Suburban
> driving, cell-phone addicted, under 40 female whose cart is filled with
> ready to heat dishes and entrees. The next most typical is the over-40,
> past-her-prime, Lexus/Mercedes female with a cart full of wine, cheese and
> crackers. Finally, there are the rest of us; out of our element, picking
> up
> a few bargains and things we like that are hard to find elsewhere.

The typical shopper here seems to be in some sort of fugue state or possibly
high on drugs. Then there is usually the out of control child. Going into
that store is an experience! And never a good one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 18:59:09 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 14-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:12:36 -0600, barbie gee >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In our area, TJ's is considered to be an "affordable" version of a
> > > mini-Whole Foods.

> > Trader Joe's is much more affordable than WF and usually better priced
> > for a higher quality product than a regular grocery store.

> That has been my experience as well. However, I don't buy very many things
> there because the store is dominated by things I don't use - like frozen
> meals and, especially, highly-processed foods. While I find their flank
> steak and rack of lamb to be excellent, in quality and value, they are among
> the few meats not injected/flavored with something; I want unadulterated
> meat.

Me too.

> A high percentage of the vegetables offered are pre-somethinged -
> sliced, chopped, seasoned, etc.

I don't have a problem with prepared vegetables. If I don't want to
do it, I shop there. In fact, I bought a bag of cubed butternut
squash today. They have plenty of do it yourself vegetables if I
don't care and if they don't have the particular vegetable what I
want, I can always go elsewhere.

> Perhaps this is not the case in all TJ's; the two I shop in the St. Louis
> suburbs are in highly-affluent areas; the typical shopper is a Suburban
> driving, cell-phone addicted, under 40 female whose cart is filled with
> ready to heat dishes and entrees. The next most typical is the over-40,
> past-her-prime, Lexus/Mercedes female with a cart full of wine, cheese and
> crackers. Finally, there are the rest of us; out of our element, picking up
> a few bargains and things we like that are hard to find elsewhere.

I dropped by TJ's today because it's just a few blocks away. We
needed eggs and their extra large eggs are always a good price...
well, they didn't get their egg delivery today so I bought large (the
only size they had), cage free (no antibiotics, no hormones, all
natural feed) eggs for $3.29. The eggs I usually buy at TJ's are
about $1 less, but they are just regular extra large eggs - nothing
special about them except the price.

As usual, I cruised the frozen fish section looking for the mahi-mahi
pieces and as usual, didn't see them... but I did check the raw shrimp
(peeled). They were labeled as Wild Argentinean - $6 lb. I see now
that I should have looked at the cooked shrimp...

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 7:31 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 18:59:09 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

>> On 14-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:

>>> Trader Joe's is much more affordable than WF and usually better priced
>>> for a higher quality product than a regular grocery store.

>> That has been my experience as well. However, I don't buy very many things
>> there because the store is dominated by things I don't use - like frozen
>> meals and, especially, highly-processed foods. While I find their flank
>> steak and rack of lamb to be excellent, in quality and value, they are among
>> the few meats not injected/flavored with something; I want unadulterated
>> meat.

> Me too.
>
>> A high percentage of the vegetables offered are pre-somethinged -
>> sliced, chopped, seasoned, etc.

> I don't have a problem with prepared vegetables. If I don't want to
> do it, I shop there. In fact, I bought a bag of cubed butternut
> squash today. They have plenty of do it yourself vegetables if I
> don't care and if they don't have the particular vegetable what I
> want, I can always go elsewhere.
>>
>> Perhaps this is not the case in all TJ's; the two I shop in the St. Louis
>> suburbs are in highly-affluent areas; the typical shopper is a Suburban
>> driving, cell-phone addicted, under 40 female whose cart is filled with
>> ready to heat dishes and entrees. The next most typical is the over-40,
>> past-her-prime, Lexus/Mercedes female with a cart full of wine, cheese and
>> crackers. Finally, there are the rest of us; out of our element, picking up
>> a few bargains and things we like that are hard to find elsewhere.

> I dropped by TJ's today because it's just a few blocks away. We
> needed eggs and their extra large eggs are always a good price...
> well, they didn't get their egg delivery today so I bought large (the
> only size they had), cage free (no antibiotics, no hormones, all
> natural feed) eggs for $3.29. The eggs I usually buy at TJ's are
> about $1 less, but they are just regular extra large eggs - nothing
> special about them except the price.
>
> As usual, I cruised the frozen fish section looking for the mahi-mahi
> pieces and as usual, didn't see them... but I did check the raw shrimp
> (peeled). They were labeled as Wild Argentinean - $6 lb. I see now
> that I should have looked at the cooked shrimp...

One problem at TJ's is that they tend to discontinue without explanation
some things that are very good. A recent example has been various fruit
preserves. One thing that I kind of like is being able to buy fruit like
bananas at a price for each. I suppose it must reflect the overfishing
of the oceans but the fish department is much smaller than ten years ago.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Trader Joe's Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 61 09-09-2010 08:29 PM
Getting a Trader Joe's cybercat General Cooking 20 12-10-2009 03:15 PM
Trader Joe's Kate Connally General Cooking 47 14-11-2006 03:16 PM
Trader Joe's serene General Cooking 49 19-04-2006 08:04 AM
Trader Joe comes through again Bob General Cooking 6 15-03-2005 12:21 AM