Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 12 cornish pasties

12 Cornish pasties

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg

sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol

they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast

in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:28:08 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

> 12 Cornish pasties
>
> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
>
> sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
>
> they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
>
> in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

What recipe did you use for that pastry? I want to make baked
empanadas and that looks pretty much like what I'd be aiming for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:28:08 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>12 Cornish pasties
>
>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
>
>sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
>
>they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
>
>in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

Looks really good. Something I've been wanting to do. Recipe please?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:28:08 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>

>>12 Cornish pasties
>>
>>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
>>
>>sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
>>
>>they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
>>
>>in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

> Looks really good. Something I've been wanting to do. Recipe please?
> Janet US

pastry - I am a convert to whizzing the flour & fat in a food processor -
no more tedious cutting in for me, for no benefit

and then you work the water in by hand

I used 5-1/2 c APF and just shy of 12 oz butter

a little more than a cup of very cold, almost frozen water, which turned
out to be a little too much, but not to the point where it was ruined

a little excess water seems to make the pastry easier to work with

for the insides, I used 1-1/2 lb "beef stew", something like 6 medium
yellow potatoes, 3 large carrots and 1 large onion

everything should be cut up to the point where the largest dimension
is less than 1.5 cm in length

when you make each pasty, put a little dab of butter, and salt & pepper
before sealing (use water for glue)

these were a little smaller than usual - baked at 375 for 45 minutes

for a 9" pasty pie I'd bake for an hour

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:25:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:28:08 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>

>>12 Cornish pasties
>>
>>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
>>
>>sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
>>
>>they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
>>
>>in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

>Looks really good. Something I've been wanting to do. Recipe please?
>Janet US

Best tutorial I have seen is he

http://www.joepastry.com/2009/top_crimped_pasty_recipe/

He also has the side crimp if you dig around a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:45:27 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:25:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:28:08 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>>

>>>12 Cornish pasties
>>>
>>>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
>>>
>>>sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
>>>
>>>they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
>>>
>>>in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

>>Looks really good. Something I've been wanting to do. Recipe please?
>>Janet US

>Best tutorial I have seen is he
>
>http://www.joepastry.com/2009/top_crimped_pasty_recipe/
>
>He also has the side crimp if you dig around a bit.

Oops...you need this, too:

http://www.joepastry.com/2009/how_to...nish_pasty_ii/

http://www.joepastry.com/category/pa...rnish-pasties/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 21:11:08 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:28:08 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>>

>>>12 Cornish pasties
>>>
>>>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
>>>
>>>sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
>>>
>>>they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
>>>
>>>in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

>> Looks really good. Something I've been wanting to do. Recipe please?
>> Janet US

>pastry - I am a convert to whizzing the flour & fat in a food processor -
>no more tedious cutting in for me, for no benefit
>
>and then you work the water in by hand
>
>I used 5-1/2 c APF and just shy of 12 oz butter
>
>a little more than a cup of very cold, almost frozen water, which turned
>out to be a little too much, but not to the point where it was ruined
>
>a little excess water seems to make the pastry easier to work with
>
>for the insides, I used 1-1/2 lb "beef stew", something like 6 medium
>yellow potatoes, 3 large carrots and 1 large onion
>
>everything should be cut up to the point where the largest dimension
>is less than 1.5 cm in length
>
>when you make each pasty, put a little dab of butter, and salt & pepper
>before sealing (use water for glue)
>
>these were a little smaller than usual - baked at 375 for 45 minutes
>
>for a 9" pasty pie I'd bake for an hour

thanks a lot. That's just the kind of info I needed
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:50:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:45:27 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:25:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>>>Looks really good. Something I've been wanting to do. Recipe please?
>>>Janet US

>>Best tutorial I have seen is he
>>
>>http://www.joepastry.com/2009/top_crimped_pasty_recipe/
>>
>>He also has the side crimp if you dig around a bit.

>Oops...you need this, too:
>
>http://www.joepastry.com/2009/how_to...nish_pasty_ii/
>
>http://www.joepastry.com/category/pa...rnish-pasties/

Thanks, Boron, that's great stuff. Pictures are always helpful and
the cook speaks my language ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:24:20 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:50:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:45:27 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>>Best tutorial I have seen is he
>>>
>>>http://www.joepastry.com/2009/top_crimped_pasty_recipe/
>>>
>>>He also has the side crimp if you dig around a bit.

>>Oops...you need this, too:
>>
>>http://www.joepastry.com/2009/how_to...nish_pasty_ii/
>>
>>http://www.joepastry.com/category/pa...rnish-pasties/
>>>

>Thanks, Boron, that's great stuff. Pictures are always helpful and
>the cook speaks my language ;o)
>Janet US

His is one of my favorite baking websites. I love his pages.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:50:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:45:27 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>>Best tutorial I have seen is he
>>>
>>>http://www.joepastry.com/2009/top_crimped_pasty_recipe/
>>>
>>>He also has the side crimp if you dig around a bit.

>>Oops...you need this, too:
>>
>>http://www.joepastry.com/2009/how_to...nish_pasty_ii/
>>
>>http://www.joepastry.com/category/pa...rnish-pasties/
>>>

> Thanks, Boron, that's great stuff. Pictures are always helpful and
> the cook speaks my language ;o)
> Janet US

here's a video - especially helpful for making the pastry - a little overdone
as far as videography though:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ornish-pasties

I don't do it all her way - esp not crimping on top, and no egg wash mostly
due to laziness

I also don't cut stuff up quite so small

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:28:26 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 18 Dec 2013 10:28:08a, tert in seattle told us...
>

> > 12 Cornish pasties

> > http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg

> > sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol

> > they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast

> > in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

> 11 Spotted Dogs?
>

> Hey, nice job!

10 Bombe Glace'es

> Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan
"Julie should give hubby a BJ for x-mas, and a threesome with her
bratty daughter." --Brooklyn1 in rec.food.cooking 12-17-2013
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:28:08 AM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
> 12 Cornish pasties
>

> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
>

> sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
>

> they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
>

> in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

While you might be correct that the strippers in Cornwall might not
"win any beauty contests," I doubt they wear pasties.

--Bryan
"Julie should give hubby a BJ for x-mas, and a threesome with her
bratty daughter." --Brooklyn1 in rec.food.cooking 12-17-2013
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 20:28:18 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:28:08 AM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
> > 12 Cornish pasties
> >

> > http://www.ftupet.com/upload/12pasties.jpg
> >

> > sounds like a line from an annoying, repetitive Xmas carol
> >

> > they won't win any beauty contests but they disappear fast
> >

> > in fact two got eaten before they could be photographed

> While you might be correct that the strippers in Cornwall might not
> "win any beauty contests," I doubt they wear pasties.
>
> --Bryan

Okay, I had to read that twice and laughed the second time. Good one,
Bryan!

Minor rant: Stop posting from Google! I'm so tired of the F'd up
line spacing you can clearly see above that I'm ready to kill-file you
just for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2013 9:28 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> While you might be correct that the strippers in Cornwall might not
> "win any beauty contests," I doubt they wear pasties.

Are you certain?

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...UrqoT1yAXg.jpg