Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

Default Cornish Pasties

Hello All!

Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7

As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."

Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
what stores will do?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:48:02 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
>protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
>http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>
>As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
>Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>
>Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
>own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
>description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
>what stores will do?

If I recall correctly (and I admit that sometimes I don't), the Czechs
tried to do similar and say that Pilsener beer comes from Pilsen/Plzen
and nowhere else, and that Budweiser beer coes from Budweis/Ceske
Budejovice and nowhere else.

They failed in their attempt.

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote on Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:22:47 +0200:

>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:48:02 GMT, "James Silverton"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they
>>> need to be protected and their manufacture limited to
>>> Cornwall, England: http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>>>
>>> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also
>>> expect that Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made
>>> in Yorkshire."
>>>
>>> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly
>>> expand their own area on "historical" bases) have managed to
>>> even disallow the description "Champagne Style" in favor of
>>> "Sparkling Wine", I wonder what stores will do?

>> If I recall correctly (and I admit that sometimes I don't),
>> the Czechs tried to do similar

> http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/qual/en/cz_en.htm

> * Bude(jovické pivo
> * Bude(jovický me(st(anský var
> * C(eskobude(jovické pivo
> * Chodské pivo

>> and say that Pilsener beer comes from Pilsen/Plzen
>> and nowhere else, and that Budweiser beer coes from
>> Budweis/Ceske Budejovice and nowhere else.
>>
>> They failed in their attempt.

> They succeeded. See above.

> Plenty of others have succeeded usually to the benefit of the
> consumer.

You have a much more trusting and accepting nature than me if you
believe businesses have the primary purpose of benefiting the consumer
:-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>
> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>
> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
> own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
> what stores will do?

Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking the thread
was about a Cornish stripper. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote on Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:22:25 -0500:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to
>> be protected and their manufacture limited to
>> Cornwall, England: http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>>
>> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also
>> expect that Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in
>> Yorkshire."
>>
>> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly
>> expand their own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even
>> disallow the description "Champagne Style" in favor of
>> "Sparkling Wine", I wonder what stores will do?
>>

>Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking the
>thread was about a Cornish stripper. :-)

LOL, at least you noticed it unlike my reply to "First Attempt at
Smoking" :-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 26 Jul 2008 09:22:25a, George Shirley told us...

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
>> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
>> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>>
>> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
>> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>>
>> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
>> own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
>> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
>> what stores will do?
>>

> Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking the thread
> was about a Cornish stripper. :-)

Heh, the first phrase, "> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch" could have
gone either way. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 26 Jul 2008 09:22:25a, George Shirley told us...
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
>>> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>>>
>>> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
>>> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>>>
>>> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
>>> own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
>>> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
>>> what stores will do?
>>>

>> Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking the thread
>> was about a Cornish stripper. :-)
>>

> Heh, the first phrase, "> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch" could have
> gone either way. :-)

You, Sir, have a dirty mind. I really like that in friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 26 Jul 2008 11:45:24a, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking the
>>> thread was about a Cornish stripper. :-)
>>>

>> Heh, the first phrase, "> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch" could
>> have gone either way. :-)
>>

> You, Sir, have a dirty mind. I really like that in friends.

LOL! Thanks, George!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Black holes are when God is dividing
by zero.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

James Silverton wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to
> be protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>
> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>
> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand
> their own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow
> the description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I
> wonder what stores will do?

Well, in the Upper Midwest they're usually just called pasties.

And in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (and perhaps elsewhere), they're
now a Finnish-American ethnic dish.

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Mirror 2 http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

> > If I recall correctly (and I admit that sometimes I don't), the
> > Czechs tried to do similar

> http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/qual/en/cz_en.htm
>
> * Bude(jovické pivo
> * Bude(jovický me(st(anský var
> * C(eskobude(jovické pivo
> * Chodské pivo
>
> > and say that Pilsener beer comes from Pilsen/Plzen
> > and nowhere else, and that Budweiser beer coes from Budweis/Ceske
> > Budejovice and nowhere else.
> >
> > They failed in their attempt.

> They succeeded. See above.

So, the only Budweiser Beer sold in the US is imported from that part
of the Czech Republic?

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Mirror 2 http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>
> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>
> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
> own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
> what stores will do?

What next?

English muffins?
Irish Stew?
Spanish olives?
Danish pastry?
Scotch broth?
French toast?
Brazil nuts? (Oh, wait...)
Canadian bacon?
Italian ices?

Soon there will be nothing left!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

In article .com>,
"Dan Goodman" > wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>
> > Hello All!

> ćÝ
> > Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to
> > be protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
> > http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7

> ćÝ
> > As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
> > Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."

> ćÝ
> > Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand
> > their own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow
> > the description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I
> > wonder what stores will do?

> Well, in the Upper Midwest they're usually just called pasties.
>
> And in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (and perhaps elsewhere), they're
> now a Finnish-American ethnic dish.

Here in Alta California we call them empanadas.

D.M.
--
greatvalleyimages.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

In article .com>,
"Dan Goodman" > wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>
> > > If I recall correctly (and I admit that sometimes I don't), the
> > > Czechs tried to do similar

> > http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/qual/en/cz_en.htm
> >
> > * Bude(jovické pivo
> > * Bude(jovický me(st(anský var
> > * C(eskobude(jovické pivo
> > * Chodské pivo
> >
> > > and say that Pilsener beer comes from Pilsen/Plzen
> > > and nowhere else, and that Budweiser beer coes from Budweis/Ceske
> > > Budejovice and nowhere else.
> > >
> > > They failed in their attempt.

> > They succeeded. See above.

> So, the only Budweiser Beer sold in the US is imported from that part
> of the Czech Republic?

St Louis Bud has prevailed legally for many years but that is apparently
changing-

> NORDIC BUSINESS REPORT-10 January 2006-Czech brewery Budweiser Budvar wins
> 10-year legal battle with Anheuser-Busch Inc in Finland(C)1994-2006 M2
> COMMUNICATIONS LTD http://www.m2.com
>
> The Czech brewery Budweiser Budvar announced on Thursday (5 January) that it
> has won a 10-year legal battle against the US brewery group Anheuser-Busch
> Inc in Finland.
>
> A ruling by the Finnish supreme court has confirmed the Czech brewer's right
> to use the trademark Budejovicky Budvar as well as the company denotation
> Budweiser Budvar in its marketing.
>
> Anheuser-Busch, the brewer of the US Budweiser brand of beer, was also
> ordered to pay Budweiser Budvar's legal expenses.

This may be the tip of the iceberg-

D.M.
--
greatvalleyimages.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

Donald Martinich wrote:

> In article .com>,

> > > http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/qual/en/cz_en.htm
> > >
> > > * Bude(jovicki pivo
> > > * Bude(jovick} me(st(ansk} var
> > > * C(eskobude(jovicki pivo
> > > * Chodski pivo

> > > They succeeded. See above.

> > So, the only Budweiser Beer sold in the US is imported from that
> > part of the Czech Republic?

> St Louis Bud has prevailed legally for many years but that is
> apparently changing-
>
> > NORDIC BUSINESS REPORT-10 January 2006-Czech brewery Budweiser
> > Budvar wins 10-year legal battle with Anheuser-Busch Inc in
> > Finland(C)1994-2006 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD http://www.m2.com
> >
> > The Czech brewery Budweiser Budvar announced on Thursday (5
> > January) that it has won a 10-year legal battle against the US
> > brewery group Anheuser-Busch Inc in Finland.
> >
> > A ruling by the Finnish supreme court has confirmed the Czech
> > brewer's right to use the trademark Budejovicky Budvar as well as
> > the company denotation Budweiser Budvar in its marketing.
> >
> > Anheuser-Busch, the brewer of the US Budweiser brand of beer, was
> > also ordered to pay Budweiser Budvar's legal expenses.

> This may be the tip of the iceberg-

It might. But if it takes ten years of litigation per country....

Meanwhile, I think Tommyknocker Soda is safe from legal challenges by
genuine Cornish knockers (or their descendants in US mining areas.)

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Mirror 2 http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> What next?
>
> English muffins?
> Irish Stew?
> Spanish olives?
> Danish pastry?
> Scotch broth?
> French toast?
> Brazil nuts? (Oh, wait...)
> Canadian bacon?
> Italian ices?
>
> Soon there will be nothing left!

And we will have whipped obesity!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 27, 4:43*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Gloria P" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > What next?

> > English muffins?
> > Irish Stew?
> > Spanish olives?
> > Danish pastry?
> > Scotch broth?
> > French toast?
> > Brazil nuts? *(Oh, wait...)
> > Canadian bacon?
> > Italian ices?

> > Soon there will be nothing left!

> And we will have whipped obesity!

====================================

Whatever you do, don't get on the wrong side of the French Cheese
Police! When I was writing a food column for our local daily paper, I
did an article with a recipe calling for "Roquefort or other blue
cheese". I got a letter from the governing body of the Roquefort
cheese makers association, asking that I please refrain from using
Roquefort as a generic name for any other cheese blue, bleu or
otherwise!

Lynn in Fargo
Please pass the Gorgonzola . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 26, 9:22*am, George Shirley > wrote:

> Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking the thread
> was about a Cornish stripper. :-)

Well, so did I, until I realized it was all about the LONG "a" vs. the
SHORT "a" in the word PASTIE. . .:-)

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl wrote on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:59:05 -0700 (PDT):

>> Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking
>> the thread was about a Cornish stripper. :-)

> Well, so did I, until I realized it was all about the LONG "a"
> vs. the SHORT "a" in the word PASTIE. . .:-)

Is Cornwall perhaps famous for strippers? I've led a sheltered life :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Myrl wrote on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:59:05 -0700 (PDT):
>
>>> Well, so much for an interesting subject line. I was thinking
>>> the thread was about a Cornish stripper. :-)

>> Well, so did I, until I realized it was all about the LONG "a"
>> vs. the SHORT "a" in the word PASTIE. . .:-)

> Is Cornwall perhaps famous for strippers? I've led a sheltered life :-)

More famous for a form of English that is extremely odd, almost as bad
as Yorkshire. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:39:37 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
>> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
>> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>>
>> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
>> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>>
>> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
>> own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
>> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
>> what stores will do?
>>

>What next?
>
>English muffins?
>Irish Stew?
>Spanish olives?
>Danish pastry?
>Scotch broth?
>French toast?
>Brazil nuts? (Oh, wait...)
>Canadian bacon?
>Italian ices?
>
>Soon there will be nothing left!

at least we got a lock on american cheese. no one else seems to want
to make it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Well, so did I, until I realized it was all about the LONG "a"
>>> vs. the SHORT "a" in the word PASTIE. . .:-)

>> Is Cornwall perhaps famous for strippers? I've led a sheltered life
>> :-)

> More famous for a form of English that is extremely odd, almost as bad
> as Yorkshire. :-)

Oi!

O a Yorkshire woman!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Is Cornwall perhaps famous for strippers? I've led a sheltered life
>>> :-)

>> More famous for a form of English that is extremely odd, almost as bad
>> as Yorkshire. :-)

> Oi!
>
> O a Yorkshire woman!!

Oi! I knew that when I wrote what I did. <BSEG>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> More famous for a form of English that is extremely odd, almost as
>>> bad as Yorkshire. :-)

>> Oi!
>>
>> O a Yorkshire woman!!
>>

> Oi! I knew that when I wrote what I did. <BSEG>

Yes, I know you did, cheeky)))))))))))))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.europe

On 2008-07-26, James Silverton > wrote:

> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7

> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
> what stores will do?

Not being a store, I can't say. Howzabout an authentic recipe? I promise
to call it fred or duncan or somthing.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
>> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
>> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>>
>> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
>> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>>
>> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
>> own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
>> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder
>> what stores will do?
>>

>What next?
>
>English muffins?
>Irish Stew?
>Spanish olives?
>Danish pastry?
>Scotch broth?
>French toast?
>Brazil nuts? (Oh, wait...)
>Canadian bacon?
>Italian ices?
>
>Soon there will be nothing left!

at least we got a lock on american cheese. no one else seems to want
to make it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-29, blake murphy > wrote:

> at least we got a lock on american cheese. no one else seems to want
> to make it.

Yes, by god, and we're getting better at it, too!

http://tinyurl.com/6fp2dt

Damned if these new Select singles don't almost taste like real cheese.

(Ahm prowd to be n A'marekin....

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-07-29, blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > at least we got a lock on american cheese. no one else seems to want
> > to make it.

> Yes, by god, and we're getting better at it, too!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6fp2dt

Note that the third ingrediant after milk and water
(but ahead of milkfat and salt) is SODIUM SICTRATE.
Ack! SODIUM SICTRATE !!! A chemical so exotic that
a Google search gets no hits on it!

Our cheese chemical technology is truly cutting edge!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-29, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Ack! SODIUM SICTRATE !!! A chemical so exotic that
> a Google search gets no hits on it!
>
> Our cheese chemical technology is truly cutting edge!

No doubt developed by our vast weapons labs for future use as a laser-guided
smart grilled cheese sandwich.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-07-29, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > Ack! SODIUM SICTRATE !!! A chemical so exotic that
> > a Google search gets no hits on it!
> >
> > Our cheese chemical technology is truly cutting edge!

> No doubt developed by our vast weapons labs for future use
> as a laser-guided smart grilled cheese sandwich.

Cheeses of mass destruction!

Sweet baby cheeses!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
. ..
> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
>> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
>> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7
>>
>> As a comment on the article said, "Hopefully we can also expect that
>> Yorkshire Pudding can now legally only be made in Yorkshire."
>>
>> Since the French Champagne makers (while trying to greatly expand their
>> own area on "historical" bases) have managed to even disallow the
>> description "Champagne Style" in favor of "Sparkling Wine", I wonder what
>> stores will do?
>>

> What next?
>
> English muffins?
> Irish Stew?
> Spanish olives?
> Danish pastry?
> Scotch broth?
> French toast?
> Brazil nuts? (Oh, wait...)
> Canadian bacon?
> Italian ices?
>
> Soon there will be nothing left!

Or how about the descendants of the Cornish, their pasties are a family
tradition? In the foothills of Northern California is the town of Grass
Valley. Back in the mining days, MANY Cornish folks settled in that area.
There are still at least 2 Cornish family-run shops that sell the most
wonderful (dare I say it?) authentic Cornish pasties. I guess they could be
called Grass Valleyish pasties....

TammyM, jonesing for those CPs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-30, TammyM > wrote:

> There are still at least 2 Cornish family-run shops that sell the most
> wonderful (dare I say it?) authentic Cornish pasties. I guess they could be
> called Grass Valleyish pasties....

So go. It's only a hour drive. I had no idea, or I'd have stopped and
stocked up on the way out of state. :\

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

notbob replied to TammyM:

> On 2008-07-30, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> There are still at least 2 Cornish family-run shops that sell the most
>> wonderful (dare I say it?) authentic Cornish pasties. I guess they could be
>> called Grass Valleyish pasties....

> So go. It's only a hour drive. I had no idea, or I'd have stopped and
> stocked up on the way out of state. :\

Bob has done the Cornish Christmas in Grass Valley, but since we have
been married we haven't been able to do this together since he is either
working or I am visiting family out of state.

http://www.ncgold.com/events/Winter/Cornish.html

We love going to Grass Valley and Nevada City! Easy drive for us -- and
quite scenic, too -- no matter what time of year it is.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:39:37 -0600, Gloria P >
> wrote:
>
> >James Silverton wrote:
> >> Hello All!
> >>
> >> Cornish Pasties are fine savory lunch but it seems that they need to be
> >> protected and their manufacture limited to Cornwall, England:
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6yuyt7

><snip>
> >
> >What next?
> >
> >English muffins?
> >Irish Stew?
> >Spanish olives?
> >Danish pastry?
> >Scotch broth?
> >French toast?
> >Brazil nuts? (Oh, wait...)
> >Canadian bacon?
> >Italian ices?
> >
> >Soon there will be nothing left!

> at least we got a lock on american cheese. no one else seems to want
> to make it.
>
> your pal,
> blake

It needs a special sort of plastic in which to envelope it, on order for
the special flavour to develop... along the lines of French banon
(wrapped in chestnut leaves) or Spanish valdeon (wrapped in sycamore
leaves).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote in message
> notbob replied to TammyM:
>
>> On 2008-07-30, TammyM > wrote:
>>
>>> There are still at least 2 Cornish family-run shops that sell the most
>>> wonderful (dare I say it?) authentic Cornish pasties. I guess they
>>> could be called Grass Valleyish pasties....

>> So go. It's only a hour drive. I had no idea, or I'd have stopped and
>> stocked up on the way out of state. :\

> Bob has done the Cornish Christmas in Grass Valley, but since we have been
> married we haven't been able to do this together since he is either
> working or I am visiting family out of state.
>
> http://www.ncgold.com/events/Winter/Cornish.html
>
> We love going to Grass Valley and Nevada City! Easy drive for us -- and
> quite scenic, too -- no matter what time of year it is.

I'm only a month late responding :-/ Ijust don't read this (or any other)
ng with any regularity anymore. Anyhoo. I no longer "do" road trips on my
own because of the cost of gas. Now I do happen to have good friends
wholive in GV and our mutual friends are usually up for a roadtrip so when
I *DO* go, I do indeed stock up. These pasties are divine, I wouldn't even
attempt to make them myself because I know that mine will never match up to
theirs. So Lin and Mr. Terwilliger, I think a roadtrip just might be in
order!

TammyM