Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacon Bowls

Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a
foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it
didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...
Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's
crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
> making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a
> foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it
> didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...
> Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's
> crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

Here's a pic of what you suggest:

http://www.notmartha.org/images/othe..._cupdetail.jpg

But why stop with lettuce and tomatoes? Just add some torn up soft
white bread and some mayo and end up with "BLT cupcakes." heheh It
sounds good but lots of work. I would just make some regular BLT
sandwiches instead. The "cupcakes" would be a novel idea for a lunch
with guests though.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
>> making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use
>> foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said
>> it
>> didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor
>> but...
>> Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it,
>> it's
>> crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

> Here's a pic of what you suggest:
>
> http://www.notmartha.org/images/othe..._cupdetail.jpg
>
> But why stop with lettuce and tomatoes? Just add some torn up soft
> white bread and some mayo and end up with "BLT cupcakes." heheh It
> sounds good but lots of work. I would just make some regular BLT
> sandwiches instead. The "cupcakes" would be a novel idea for a lunch
> with guests though.

Dammit! I was going for low carb. And why did you have to post the pic.
Now I REALLY want it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
> >> making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use
> >> foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said
> >> it
> >> didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor
> >> but...
> >> Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it,
> >> it's
> >> crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

> > Here's a pic of what you suggest:
> >
> > http://www.notmartha.org/images/othe..._cupdetail.jpg
> >
> > But why stop with lettuce and tomatoes? Just add some torn up soft
> > white bread and some mayo and end up with "BLT cupcakes." heheh It
> > sounds good but lots of work. I would just make some regular BLT
> > sandwiches instead. The "cupcakes" would be a novel idea for a lunch
> > with guests though.

> Dammit! I was going for low carb. And why did you have to post the pic.
> Now I REALLY want it!

LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
you wouldn't like.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:11:19 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
> each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
> you wouldn't like.

For going low carb, a better idea is an In-n-Out Protein Burger
because they substitute lettuce leaves for the bun.
http://hackthemenu.com/wp-content/up...style-burg.jpg
http://www.bunrab.com/yummychow/Revi...ut_protein.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
> each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
> you wouldn't like.
>
> G.

They do that now? Leave off the sauce? In times past there were no additions
or subtractions to the Big Mac, it came the same way every time. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
> making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a
> foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it
> didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...
> Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's
> crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

Ah, another gadget to separate people from their money during the
holidays. Google bacon explosion New York Times. This was a recipe it
published almost 5 years ago that involved making a lattice out of raw
bacon, encasing a lump of sausage and cooked crumbled bacon within, and
smoking it. A vegetarian colleague ran screaming from my office when I
showed her the recipe.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 08:47:13 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
> > each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
> > you wouldn't like.
> >
> > G.

> They do that now? Leave off the sauce? In times past there were no additions
> or subtractions to the Big Mac, it came the same way every time. :-)

It has always been possible to custom order at McDonald's. It wasn't
impossible, it just took a bit longer. That's what people did when
they wanted a burger fresh off the grill. No patties are cooked fresh
for your special order anymore. Now, everything is assembled to order
and you take what's in the bins. That's another reason why people
like In-n-Out so much. Burgers are cooked as they are ordered, fries
are always fresh and the big plus is that it's all done in plain
sight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:23:26 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
> > making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a
> > foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it
> > didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...
> > Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's
> > crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

> Ah, another gadget to separate people from their money during the
> holidays.

Why couldn't those cups be formed in a cupcake pan?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:37:28 AM UTC-8, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:23:26 -0800, Cindy Fuller
>
> > wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for

> > > making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a

> > > foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it

> > > didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...

> > > Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's

> > > crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

> > Ah, another gadget to separate people from their money during the

> > holidays.

> Why couldn't those cups be formed in a cupcake pan?

I would think you could wrap the bacon around the OUTSIDE of the cupcake cups, put the pan on a rack in a baking pan to catch the drips and bake the cups that way. If you put the bacon INSIDE muffin cups you would have a bunch of grease inside so the bacon might not get crisp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:37:28 AM UTC-8, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:23:26 -0800, Cindy Fuller
>>
>> > wrote:

>> > Ah, another gadget to separate people from their money during the

>> > holidays.

>> Why couldn't those cups be formed in a cupcake pan?
>>

> I would think you could wrap the bacon around the OUTSIDE of the cupcake
> cups, put the pan on a rack in a baking pan to catch the drips and bake
> the cups that way. If you put the bacon INSIDE muffin cups you would
> have a bunch of grease inside so the bacon might not get crisp.

Yes, I was thinking that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 17:48:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> > On Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:37:28 AM UTC-8, sf wrote:
> >>

> >> Why couldn't those cups be formed in a cupcake pan?
> >>

> > I would think you could wrap the bacon around the OUTSIDE of the cupcake
> > cups, put the pan on a rack in a baking pan to catch the drips and bake
> > the cups that way. If you put the bacon INSIDE muffin cups you would
> > have a bunch of grease inside so the bacon might not get crisp.

> Yes, I was thinking that

Fat renders and it crisps, no problem there. I was thinking the bacon
might come undone, so to solve that problem - insert another cupcake
pan the same size to keep it in shape. Worried about the fat
collecting at the bottom? Turn them upside down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
>> making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a
>> foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it
>> didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...
>> Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's
>> crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

> Here's a pic of what you suggest:
>
> http://www.notmartha.org/images/othe..._cupdetail.jpg
>
> But why stop with lettuce and tomatoes? Just add some torn up soft
> white bread and some mayo and end up with "BLT cupcakes." heheh

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>Anyone here made these?
>Ooooh! I would fill them.

I'd hope you'd fill those bacon cups.
http://bacontoday.com/the-lady-behin...bra-literally/
http://bacontits.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 08:47:13 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>
>> > LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
>> > each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
>> > you wouldn't like.
>> >
>> > G.

>> They do that now? Leave off the sauce? In times past there were no
>> additions
>> or subtractions to the Big Mac, it came the same way every time. :-)
>>

> It has always been possible to custom order at McDonald's. It wasn't
> impossible, it just took a bit longer. That's what people did when
> they wanted a burger fresh off the grill. No patties are cooked fresh
> for your special order anymore. Now, everything is assembled to order
> and you take what's in the bins. That's another reason why people
> like In-n-Out so much. Burgers are cooked as they are ordered, fries
> are always fresh and the big plus is that it's all done in plain
> sight.

It was not possible where I was. There were NO additions or subtractions to
the Big Mac then...period.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 10:15:19 AM UTC-8, sf wrote:

> > > I would think you could wrap the bacon around the OUTSIDE of the cupcake

> > > cups, put the pan on a rack in a baking pan to catch the drips and bake

> > > the cups that way. If you put the bacon INSIDE muffin cups you would

> > > have a bunch of grease inside so the bacon might not get crisp.

> > Yes, I was thinking that

> Fat renders and it crisps, no problem there. I was thinking the bacon
>
> might come undone, so to solve that problem - insert another cupcake
>
> pan the same size to keep it in shape. Worried about the fat
>
> collecting at the bottom? Turn them upside down.

Good thought. I bet that would work best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Here's a pic of what you suggest:
>> >
>> > http://www.notmartha.org/images/othe..._cupdetail.jpg
>> >
>> > But why stop with lettuce and tomatoes? Just add some torn up soft
>> > white bread and some mayo and end up with "BLT cupcakes." heheh It
>> > sounds good but lots of work. I would just make some regular BLT
>> > sandwiches instead. The "cupcakes" would be a novel idea for a lunch
>> > with guests though.

>> Dammit! I was going for low carb. And why did you have to post the pic.
>> Now I REALLY want it!

> LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
> each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
> you wouldn't like.

Nah. That plain hamburger I ate was enough to tell me I don't like their
food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:11:19 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>

>> LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
>> each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
>> you wouldn't like.
>>

> For going low carb, a better idea is an In-n-Out Protein Burger
> because they substitute lettuce leaves for the bun.
> http://hackthemenu.com/wp-content/up...style-burg.jpg
> http://www.bunrab.com/yummychow/Revi...ut_protein.jpg

I have never eaten there and we don't have them here. I hate, hate hate,
burgers wrapped in lettuce. Just ruins the lettuce for me. But I don't
mind some lettuce on top on a plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>
>> LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
>> each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
>> you wouldn't like.
>>
>> G.

> They do that now? Leave off the sauce? In times past there were no
> additions or subtractions to the Big Mac, it came the same way every time.
> :-)

I wouldn't even try it. After my one failed attempt to get a burger with no
cheese. Apparently the only one you can get that way is the one called
hamburger. I think a Big Mac has cheese too, which I couldn't have. And
pickles, which I don't like on things. But I will eat them on their own.
Well, wait. I do like a peanut butter and pickle sandwich...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 08:47:13 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>
>> > LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
>> > each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
>> > you wouldn't like.
>> >
>> > G.

>> They do that now? Leave off the sauce? In times past there were no
>> additions
>> or subtractions to the Big Mac, it came the same way every time. :-)
>>

> It has always been possible to custom order at McDonald's. It wasn't
> impossible, it just took a bit longer. That's what people did when
> they wanted a burger fresh off the grill. No patties are cooked fresh
> for your special order anymore. Now, everything is assembled to order
> and you take what's in the bins. That's another reason why people
> like In-n-Out so much. Burgers are cooked as they are ordered, fries
> are atlways fresh and the big plus is that it's all done in plain
> sight.>

Nonsense! Nothing is preassembled at the ones here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
>> making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use
>> foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said
>> it
>> didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor
>> but...
>> Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it,
>> it's
>> crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

> Ah, another gadget to separate people from their money during the
> holidays. Google bacon explosion New York Times. This was a recipe it
> published almost 5 years ago that involved making a lattice out of raw
> bacon, encasing a lump of sausage and cooked crumbled bacon within, and
> smoking it. A vegetarian colleague ran screaming from my office when I
> showed her the recipe.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:23:26 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
>> > making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to
>> > use a
>> > foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some
>> > said it
>> > didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor
>> > but...
>> > Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it,
>> > it's
>> > crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

>> Ah, another gadget to separate people from their money during the
>> holidays.

> Why couldn't those cups be formed in a cupcake pan?

They could. That's what I said. But this device had a well in it to catch
the grease.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 6:47 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>
>> LOL! McDonald's Big Macs are on sale for a limited time. Only $1
>> each. Maybe buy one and ask them to leave off the sauce that you think
>> you wouldn't like.
>>
>> G.

> They do that now? Leave off the sauce? In times past there were no
> additions or subtractions to the Big Mac, it came the same way every
> time. :-)
>
> Cheri

A custom sandwich order is called a "grill" as in, "Big Mac grill." When
my wife worked at a fast food place, the code for a good looking guy was
"cheese" as in, "cheese at the window!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 2:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>> Anyone here made these?
>> Ooooh! I would fill them.

> I'd hope you'd fill those bacon cups.
> http://bacontoday.com/the-lady-behin...bra-literally/

To hear you talk, it hardly seems worth a nibble. Besides, I thought
you didn't like bacon?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 12:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>> Anyone here made these?
>> Ooooh! I would fill them.

> I'd hope you'd fill those bacon cups.
> http://bacontoday.com/the-lady-behin...bra-literally/
> http://bacontits.com/

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...5491-pic-7.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:58:49 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for
>
> making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a
>
> foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it
>
> didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...
>
> Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's
>
> crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

Yes, speed thee to the salad bar and do tell us how you don't like it and you won't be making it again. In 100+ lines. Go!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:37:28 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:23:26 -0800, Cindy Fuller
>
> > wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > Anyone here made these? Have seen a commercial for a baking device for

> > > making these but when I looked it up, I see recipes that tell you to use a

> > > foil lined muffin tins. Most people raved about the recipe but some said it

> > > didn't work for them. I was concerned about the possible mess factor but...

> > > Every time I see that commercial, I want one! The guy bites into it, it's

> > > crisp and... Ooooh! I would fill them with lettuce and tomatoes.

> > Ah, another gadget to separate people from their money during the

> > holidays.

> Why couldn't those cups be formed in a cupcake pan?

Because, then it wouldn't be a stupid gadgety pile of useless shit. Oh wait, that's Julie's life. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 7:06 AM, Gary wrote:

> http://www.notmartha.org/images/othe..._cupdetail.jpg
>
> But why stop with lettuce and tomatoes? Just add some torn up soft
> white bread and some mayo and end up with "BLT cupcakes." heheh It
> sounds good but lots of work. I would just make some regular BLT
> sandwiches instead. The "cupcakes" would be a novel idea for a lunch
> with guests though.

That's cute!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.