Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

jmcquown wrote:
>notbob wrote:
>>pltrgyst wrote:

>>> Ummm, the spring doesn't hold the contacts together. It drives them
>>> apart when the breaker trips.

>> That's what ya' get when looking for electrical advice in a cooking
>> group.
>>

>Heh. I didn't ask for electrical advice. The first sentence in my post
>indicated I was just venting.

If you weren't interested in reciving advice then WTF did you post
your dillema? DUH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:06:32 AM UTC-8, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 11/28/13 1:28 AM, T wrote:
>

> > Circuit breakers do wear over time. It's a spring mechanism in there
> > that over a span of time will lose strenghth and not be able to hold the
> > contacts together.

> Ummm, the spring doesn't hold the contacts together. It drives them
> apart when the breaker trips.

So if the spring ever breaks, an overloaded circuit will set the building on
fire? Doesn't sound like a failsafe to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:23:24 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>
>A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>actually "took".
>
>This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.
>
>This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>replaced.
>
>I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
>two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
>stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
>out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
>working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
>can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can.
>I'm not sure I'll be able to find one.
>
>The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
>at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to
>Publix.
>
>Jill

Would you tell us how your electrician resolved your electrical
problem?

If it were me, I would keep having trouble with that circuit until
they came out and put the freezer on it's own circuit.

I would complain every time I tried to blow dry my hair, and the
breaker tripped until they fixed the problem. The problem will only
show up when the freezer kicks on at the same time you are using the
outlet in the bathroom. This may be rare, but I consider the circuit
overloaded. You should explain what you have in alt.home.repair.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ng/b3MjzXS8b0c[1-25-false]

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:23:24 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>>A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>actually "took".
>>
>>This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>>outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>>happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>>much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>>fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>
>>This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>>Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>>at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>>replaced.
>>
>>I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>>message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
>>two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
>>stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
>>out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
>>working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
>>can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can.
>>I'm not sure I'll be able to find one.
>>Jill

> Would you tell us how your electrician resolved your electrical
> problem?
>
> If it were me, I would keep having trouble with that circuit until
> they came out and put the freezer on it's own circuit.
>
> I would complain every time I tried to blow dry my hair, and the
> breaker tripped until they fixed the problem. The problem will only
> show up when the freezer kicks on at the same time you are using the
> outlet in the bathroom. This may be rare, but I consider the circuit
> overloaded. You should explain what you have in alt.home.repair.

This sounds like a house that may have a ground fault breaker for the bath
and outside recepticals. Not that it is actually a ground fault problem,
but some houses are wired that way for GF protection.

Even if not, the problem is the the home owner putting a freezer on an
outlet not designed for it. There should be a seperate outlet for the
freezer. Same as for the refrigerator.

The hair dryer is probaly drawing close to the rated current of the breaker.
Would you say there is a problem with the wiring if two high current devices
were plugged into the same receptical or maybe in seperate ones that are on
the same circuit ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 17:53:01 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
> wrote:

>"Metspitzer" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:23:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>>
>>>A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>>tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>>actually "took".
>>>
>>>This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>>master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>>>outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>>>happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>>>much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>>>fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>>
>>>This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>>>Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>>>at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>>>replaced.
>>>
>>>I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>>>message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
>>>two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
>>>stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
>>>out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
>>>working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
>>>can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can.
>>>I'm not sure I'll be able to find one.
>>>Jill

>> Would you tell us how your electrician resolved your electrical
>> problem?
>>
>> If it were me, I would keep having trouble with that circuit until
>> they came out and put the freezer on it's own circuit.
>>
>> I would complain every time I tried to blow dry my hair, and the
>> breaker tripped until they fixed the problem. The problem will only
>> show up when the freezer kicks on at the same time you are using the
>> outlet in the bathroom. This may be rare, but I consider the circuit
>> overloaded. You should explain what you have in alt.home.repair.

>This sounds like a house that may have a ground fault breaker for the bath
>and outside recepticals. Not that it is actually a ground fault problem,
>but some houses are wired that way for GF protection.
>
>Even if not, the problem is the the home owner putting a freezer on an
>outlet not designed for it. There should be a seperate outlet for the
>freezer. Same as for the refrigerator.
>
>The hair dryer is probaly drawing close to the rated current of the breaker.
>Would you say there is a problem with the wiring if two high current devices
>were plugged into the same receptical or maybe in seperate ones that are on
>the same circuit ?

For the record, the hair dryer is a hypothetical added by me to point
out a real world problem that may not exist in her house.

The reason I added it was that she has a home owner's warranty. I
think it should be covered. (this may or may not be true)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" > wrote in message

> For the record, the hair dryer is a hypothetical added by me to point
> out a real world problem that may not exist in her house.
>
> The reason I added it was that she has a home owner's warranty. I
> think it should be covered. (this may or may not be true)

It might just be the freezer is the problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2013 5:38 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

> Would you tell us how your electrician resolved your electrical
> problem?
>
> If it were me, I would keep having trouble with that circuit until
> they came out and put the freezer on it's own circuit.

I have not read the policy, but I doubt that is covered. Home
warranties will cover thing that break. Nothing is broken, just don't
plug in what overloads the circuit.

What if you had the same warranty on your clothes. Then you gained 50
pounds and your pants no longer fit. Not their problem. Nor is a
freezer and hair dryer on the same circuit, IMO.

> I would complain every time I tried to blow dry my hair, and the
> breaker tripped until they fixed the problem. The problem will only
> show up when the freezer kicks on at the same time you are using the
> outlet in the bathroom. This may be rare, but I consider the circuit
> overloaded. You should explain what you have in alt.home.repair.

Yes, it is overload and easily fixed. Unplug one of the appliances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 17:38:11 -0500, Metspitzer >
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:23:24 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>Just venting a bit. Ignore at will.
>>
>>A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box
>>tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it
>>actually "took".
>>
>>This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the
>>master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical
>>outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this
>>happened I finally got it reset. <whew> In the meantime, I'd moved as
>>much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could
>>fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.
>>
>>This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already.
>>Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried
>>at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be
>>replaced.
>>
>>I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a
>>message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are,
>>two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I
>>stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone
>>out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be
>>working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they
>>can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can.
>>I'm not sure I'll be able to find one.
>>
>>The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store
>>yesterday. And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of
>>at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to
>>Publix.
>>
>>Jill

>Would you tell us how your electrician resolved your electrical
>problem?
>
>If it were me, I would keep having trouble with that circuit until
>they came out and put the freezer on it's own circuit.
>
>I would complain every time I tried to blow dry my hair, and the
>breaker tripped until they fixed the problem. The problem will only
>show up when the freezer kicks on at the same time you are using the
>outlet in the bathroom. This may be rare, but I consider the circuit
>overloaded. You should explain what you have in alt.home.repair.
>
>https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ng/b3MjzXS8b0c[1-25-false]

There is no excuse NOT to have a separate circuit for a freezer