Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reheating smoked turkey legs?

Turns out that the ones I saw for sale are in fact smoked. And rather than
spending hours on the phone calling around for unsmoked ones, I just bought
these. So far I have looked at probably 6 stores and didn't see any,
anywhere. Did find at Fred Meyers the last time but that was many years
ago. So...

Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those were the
same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of them! I can't
remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a higher oven temp.

This says to cook, not touching in a pan with water or chicken broth,
covered at 250 degrees for about 2 hours. Does that sound about right?

When I made the unsmoked ones I know I added onions and celery for flavor.
Do you think I should add those or just cook as is?

And would it be possible to cook the day before and reheat? Or would that
be overkill? I would of course reheat in the microwave, along with my
latkes. Oh wait! I'm not making latkes. Sorry Sheldon!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:43:50 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> Turns out that the ones I saw for sale are in fact smoked. And rather than
>
> spending hours on the phone calling around for unsmoked ones, I just bought
>
> these. So far I have looked at probably 6 stores and didn't see any,
>
> anywhere. Did find at Fred Meyers the last time but that was many years
>
> ago. So...
>

> Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those were the
>
> same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of them! I can't
>
> remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a higher oven temp.
>

> This says to cook, not touching in a pan with water or chicken broth,
>
> covered at 250 degrees for about 2 hours. Does that sound about right?
>

> When I made the unsmoked ones I know I added onions and celery for flavor.
>
> Do you think I should add those or just cook as is?
>

> And would it be possible to cook the day before and reheat? Or would that
>
> be overkill? I would of course reheat in the microwave, along with my
>
> latkes. Oh wait! I'm not making latkes. Sorry Sheldon!

Jesus wept.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:43:50 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Turns out that the ones I saw for sale are in fact smoked. And rather
>> than
>>
>> spending hours on the phone calling around for unsmoked ones, I just
>> bought
>>
>> these. So far I have looked at probably 6 stores and didn't see any,
>>
>> anywhere. Did find at Fred Meyers the last time but that was many years
>>
>> ago. So...
>>

>> Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those were the
>>
>> same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of them! I can't
>>
>> remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a higher oven temp.
>>

>> This says to cook, not touching in a pan with water or chicken broth,
>>
>> covered at 250 degrees for about 2 hours. Does that sound about right?
>>

>> When I made the unsmoked ones I know I added onions and celery for
>> flavor.
>>
>> Do you think I should add those or just cook as is?
>>

>> And would it be possible to cook the day before and reheat? Or would
>> that
>>
>> be overkill? I would of course reheat in the microwave, along with my
>>
>> latkes. Oh wait! I'm not making latkes. Sorry Sheldon!

> Jesus wept.

Why? Did he not like smoked turkey legs? This is not a product I am
familiar with and when I made them in the past, I may well have asked my mom
for advice on how to cook them. She is known for massively overcooking
meats, particularly fowl. I'm sure I would have remembered it if I had
cooked anything at 250 degrees. I rarely ever use that low of a temp. I do
remember when I made them in the past, they were falling off of the bone and
I don't think they should be. So... Any help here would be appreciated.
Not that I'm going to get it from you!

Perhaps you should invite sw over to dinner. You can put Parkay on your
latkes and nuke them. Have him bring the meat since he says he buys too
much of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 25, 2013 10:43:50 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
> Turns out that the ones I saw for sale are in fact smoked. And rather than
> spending hours on the phone calling around for unsmoked ones, I just bought
> these. So far I have looked at probably 6 stores and didn't see any,
> anywhere. Did find at Fred Meyers the last time but that was many years
> ago. So...

Turkey parts disappear from stores a couple of weeks before T-day. One year I
looked all over for wings or drumsticks, because one guest was a gravy fanatic,
but I didn't want to fool with making gravy once the bird came out of the oven.
To my mind once the bird comes out of the oven, the cooking is done. Everybody has been waiting for a couple hours for this moment, and I don't want to delay it more than necessary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:43:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those were the
>same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of them! I can't
>remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a higher oven temp.
>
>This says to cook, not touching in a pan with water or chicken broth,
>covered at 250 degrees for about 2 hours. Does that sound about right?
>
>When I made the unsmoked ones I know I added onions and celery for flavor.
>Do you think I should add those or just cook as is?
>
>And would it be possible to cook the day before and reheat? Or would that
>be overkill? I would of course reheat in the microwave, along with my
>latkes. Oh wait! I'm not making latkes. Sorry Sheldon!

Just follow the instructions on the package. This website says to do
exactly the same thing - 250 degrees for 2 hours.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...s-in-the-oven/

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 10:16 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:43:50 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those were the
>> same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of them! I can't
>> remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a higher oven temp.

> Smoked turkey legs suck no matter how you reheat or eat them. Dry,
> full of tendons, boring turkey legs.

I disagree. Use them instead of ham hocks when making a big pot of
beans... or in bean soup.

I like putting one in a pan with about 1/4" inch of water, cover tightly
and bake for about an hour (+/-) at 300 degrees. The meat is VERY
tender... fall off the bone, kind of thing.

And besides, they are my favorite food at the Ren Faire.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 11/26/2013 10:16 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:43:50 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those were
>>> the
>>> same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of them! I can't
>>> remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a higher oven temp.

>> Smoked turkey legs suck no matter how you reheat or eat them. Dry,
>> full of tendons, boring turkey legs.

> I disagree. Use them instead of ham hocks when making a big pot of
> beans... or in bean soup.
>
> I like putting one in a pan with about 1/4" inch of water, cover tightly
> and bake for about an hour (+/-) at 300 degrees. The meat is VERY
> tender... fall off the bone, kind of thing.
>
> And besides, they are my favorite food at the Ren Faire.

What other types of food do they have at the Faire?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla > wrote in
:

> On 11/26/2013 10:16 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:43:50 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those
>>> were the same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of
>>> them! I can't remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a
>>> higher oven temp.

>> Smoked turkey legs suck no matter how you reheat or eat them. Dry,
>> full of tendons, boring turkey legs.

> I disagree. Use them instead of ham hocks when making a big pot of
> beans... or in bean soup.
>
> I like putting one in a pan with about 1/4" inch of water, cover
> tightly and bake for about an hour (+/-) at 300 degrees. The meat is
> VERY tender... fall off the bone, kind of thing.
>
> And besides, they are my favorite food at the Ren Faire.
>
> George L

Yep. Good. Though I've taken to usually using smoked turkey wings instead
of legs with the beans, etc. I think there is less waste of expensive
smoked turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 08:39:30 -0800, "Pico Rico"

http://www.renfair.com/socal/thefaire/food.asp

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2013 9:16 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:43:50 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Husband hated them the last time I made them. Not sure if those were the
>> same brand or not. But I likely cooked the hell out of them! I can't
>> remember the particulars but I am sure that I used a higher oven temp.

> Smoked turkey legs suck no matter how you reheat or eat them. Dry,
> full of tendons, boring turkey legs.
>
> -sw

Reheated in foil with a bit of broth they are not dry.