Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default 1950's foods

On 2013-11-18 05:20:35 +0000, Janet Bostwick said:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:10:35 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:35:21 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:

>>> depending upon which source you favor, you are recommended to use one
>>> or another flour. I like the high protein flours.

>> My best source is my own opinion and I have decided all purpose flour
>> is best for pizza dough. You're welcome.

> ???? So? Did I say you should do different?

Did she say that you said she should do different?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 21:35:47 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2013-11-18 05:20:35 +0000, Janet Bostwick said:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:10:35 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:35:21 -0700, Janet Bostwick

> >> My best source is my own opinion and I have decided all purpose flour
> >> is best for pizza dough. You're welcome.

> > ???? So? Did I say you should do different?

> Did she say that you said she should do different?

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:15:24 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:18:55 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:50:41 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:

> >> We used to have a industrial baking chemist on alt.bread.recipes. He
> >> was very informative. I'm not saying that bad ingredients are in the
> >> dough. Just that the dough has been manipulated in a way that
> >> results in an unpleasant product for me. The goal is to create a
> >> product that behaves decently under a variety of conditions and must
> >> also meet the supermarket (or other) need for a product that produces
> >> the same result time after time. Dough balls are just another
> >> convenience item. You wouldn't question the intervention of a food
> >> chemist in a box of cake mix or a box of Hamburger Helper, why is it a
> >> stretch here?
> >> Janet US

> >Do you believe me when I say I'm the CEO of a Fortune 500 company?
> >That's how much I believe your industrial baking chemist's claim.

> I will give you his name off line if you wish.

Not interested, but thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 21:28:55 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:50:41 -0700, Janet Bostwick

>>> Do you believe me when I say I'm the CEO of a Fortune 500 company?
>>> That's how much I believe your industrial baking chemist's claim.
>>>

>>HMMMM! Feeling a bit bilious are you? Try Tums!
>>Graham
>>

> Do you remember him, Graham?
> Janet US

Roy Basan. A very knowledgable guy but I can't remember whether he was then
in an industrial or academic position. I think possibly the latter.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:15:24 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:18:55 -0800, sf > wrote:

>> >Do you believe me when I say I'm the CEO of a Fortune 500 company?
>> >That's how much I believe your industrial baking chemist's claim.

>> I will give you his name off line if you wish.

> Not interested,

Then your snarky comment was uncalled for!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 07:51:51 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:15:24 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:

> >> I will give you his name off line if you wish.

> > Not interested,

> Then your snarky comment was uncalled for!
> Graham

Get over yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 21:28:55 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:50:41 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:

>>> We used to have a industrial baking chemist on alt.bread.recipes. He
>>> was very informative. I'm not saying that bad ingredients are in the
>>> dough. Just that the dough has been manipulated in a way that
>>> results in an unpleasant product for me. The goal is to create a
>>> product that behaves decently under a variety of conditions and must
>>> also meet the supermarket (or other) need for a product that produces
>>> the same result time after time. Dough balls are just another
>>> convenience item. You wouldn't question the intervention of a food
>>> chemist in a box of cake mix or a box of Hamburger Helper, why is it a
>>> stretch here?
>>> Janet US

>> Do you believe me when I say I'm the CEO of a Fortune 500 company?
>> That's how much I believe your industrial baking chemist's claim.
>>

>HMMMM! Feeling a bit bilious are you? Try Tums!
>Graham

For sf, Preparation H!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 07:18:10 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>HMMMM! Feeling a bit bilious are you? Try Tums!
>>>Graham
>>>

>> Do you remember him, Graham?
>> Janet US
>>

>Roy Basan. A very knowledgable guy but I can't remember whether he was then
>in an industrial or academic position. I think possibly the latter.
>Graham

You may be right. I thought that he was in industry at that time, but
thinking back, I can't recall that specifically. He had held industry
positions.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 7:55:21 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
> > Soy sausage, most likely.

> Ugh. My dad had chicken and apple sausage yesterday. He liked it.

I love the potato sausage that we make. 2/3 fresh ground pork, 1/3 cooked riced potatoes, and of course Hungarian Paprika, fresh garlic, hot Hungarian Paprika, salt etc. I think it must be the texture that really gets me. We make a pork stock, and then blend that with the fresh garlic and add it to the mix. Also fat rendered from pig skin is added.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:09:44 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
>

> >I'd like to try the frozen pizzas again if I could find one that didn't have CHICKEN SAUSAGE as one of the ingredients.

> Red Baron is one I like, IF I am going to eat a frozen pizza.
>
> But I STILL add stuff, extra pepperoni and sausage, maybe salami,
>
> and, of course, extra cheese.
>

> And ONLY whole milk mozzarella, none of the part skim crap!
>

> Di Giorno also isn't bad, and they have a good variety of
>
> crusts and toppings.

Red Baron is decent, but I really like the Palermos Primo Thin Sausage
pizzas, and the Essential Everyday knockoff. Adding extra whole milk chhese is good, but it usually ends up being Monterrey Jack, because that comes pre-shredded.
--Bryan sex+

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've never seen any kind of pizza crust that thought it was more or
> less authentic that included butter and eggs in the dough! That's
> just wrong.
>
> N.

It's a simple bread dough that makes a deep dish sort. if you've never
experimented in the kitchen, that may not make sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> Among many astonishing things a bowl of chowder (manhattan or new
> England) comes with the entree.

I like all 3 kinds of clams chower. One time I tried an
experiment....I made a batch of the creamy New England chower and also
a batch of the Manhattan chowder. Then I just mixed the two together
and it was a hit. Pink clam chowder ehehh but it was really good.

I still prefer the North Carolina clear chowder though.

> I went there for friend clams so I got them, and though they were tasty
> they had a little too much breading--all very crisp and not doughy mind
> you. But it was just a bit too much for my tastes.

That's the problem with clam strips at many restaurants. You feel like
you're eating clam flavored breading. Not enought clam. The small
ones breaded and cooked whole eliminate that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:13:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> gtr wrote:
> >
> > Among many astonishing things a bowl of chowder (manhattan or new
> > England) comes with the entree.

> I like all 3 kinds of clams chower. One time I tried an
> experiment....I made a batch of the creamy New England chower and also
> a batch of the Manhattan chowder. Then I just mixed the two together
> and it was a hit. Pink clam chowder ehehh but it was really good.
>
> I still prefer the North Carolina clear chowder though.
>
> > I went there for friend clams so I got them, and though they were tasty
> > they had a little too much breading--all very crisp and not doughy mind
> > you. But it was just a bit too much for my tastes.

> That's the problem with clam strips at many restaurants. You feel like
> you're eating clam flavored breading. Not enought clam. The small
> ones breaded and cooked whole eliminate that.

Too bad hubby can't eat shellfish anymore (gout), because you just put
me in a clam chowder mood!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3751251.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:34:59 PM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:
> I had my first pizza in 1959 in San Francisco and I spent a while
>
> watching the cook spinning the dough in the air before adding the
>
> toppings. It was good too as I recall and since then I've always liked
>
> San Francisco even if I never succeeded in living there.

Well move to Seattle. Many gays who can't make it in SF move up to Seattle. Next stop: Vancouver BC. Can't make it there? Move to Church Street in Toronto.