Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 1950's Cocktail Party ideas?

Oh pshaw, on Sat 02 Dec 2006 08:53:07p, jc meant to say...

> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
> cocktail party?
> jc

Hmm... a few cocktails from the 1950s:

Martini
Manhattan
Rob Roy
Tom Collins
Gibson
Gin & Tonic
Screwdriver
Moscow Mule
Whiskey Sour
Atomic
Sloe Gin Fizz
Silver Fizz
Rum and Coke

Pass around...

---Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book, revised and enlarged, 2nd edition
[McGraw-Hill:New York] 1956 (p. 57-66)
Pastry snails
Dried beef rolls
Silver dollar hambugers
Bacon wrap-arounds
Herring-Appleteaser
Dips & chips/crackers: Lobster Newburg spread, Guacamole, Deviled Ham-
Cheese Dip, Hollywood dunk
Canapes: Deviled ham, savory mushroom, hot cheese puffs, minature pizzas,
hot clam
Cheerios cocktail snacks (something like Chex Mix)
Decorate your appetizer tray with celery trunks, stuffed cucumbers, grape
clusters & fruit kabobs

---The Joy of Cooking, Irma S. Rombauer [Bobbs-Merrill:Indianapolis] 1953
(p. 28-39)
Stuffed pecans or walnuts
Salted almonds
Filled Celery (with Roquefort and cream cheese)
Tidbits in blankets (surround cooked shrimp, oysters, stuffed olives,
pickled onions, watermelon pickle, sauteed chicken livers, skinned
grapefruit sections, dates stuffed with pineapple with thin strips of
bacon, secure them with toothpicks. Broil them under moderate heat until
the bacon is crisp.)
Glazed shrimp
Garlic olives
Sardine and bacon rolls
Marinated mushrooms
Cheese balls
Sausage and potato rolls
Ham and egg balls
Pineapple fingers and bacon
Broiled stuffed mushrooms (stuff with bread crumbs, shad roe, shrimp)
Shrimp puffs
Deviled eggs
Cheese for dipping potato chips

---Martha Deane's Cooking for Compliments, Martha Young Taylor [M.
Barrows:New York] 1954 (p. 13-35)
Barbecued short ribs
Toasted Tuna
Cocktail kabobs (button mushrooms and cocktail franks cut in half marinated
in French dressing)
Broiled shrimp
Mix Trix (like Chex Mix)
Pumpernickel squares (crab meat, chili sauce, curry powder, mustard on
pump)
Deviled almond rolls
Party pinwheels (dough, leftover meat, moistened with chili sauce, baked)
Cocktail knishes
Filled cream puffs (store-bought puffs filled with hot chicken salad,
creamed shrimp, creamed turkey, served in a chafing dish)
Broiled mushroom caps
Baby pizzas (use English muffins!)
Sea-food celery (stuff flaked crab & mayo into cut celery. Garnish with
paprika.)
Stuffed eggs (deviled eggs)
Sardine surprise (sardines mashed with hard cooked egg yolks, anchovy
paste, dry mustard, butter, & spices. Served on squares on pumpernickel)
Ham rolls (boiled ham & liverwurst)
Dunks (aka dips): sour cream, shrimp, chive, horseradish, guacamole,
pimiento, tuna

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jc jc is offline

What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
cocktail party?
jc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Dec 2006 19:53:07 -0800, "jc" > wrote:

>What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
>cocktail party?

Chex Party Mix
Butter Mints (preferably Kraft, if they still make them)
Cashews

--
www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jc wrote:
> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
> cocktail party?
> jc

Martinis! Cheese fondue with bread for dippers.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 02 Dec 2006 08:53:07p, jc meant to say...
>
>> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
>> cocktail party?
>> jc
>>

> Hmm... a few cocktails from the 1950s:
>
> Martini
> Manhattan
> Rob Roy
> Tom Collins
> Gibson
> Gin & Tonic
> Screwdriver
> Moscow Mule
> Whiskey Sour
> Atomic
> Sloe Gin Fizz
> Silver Fizz
> Rum and Coke

(laughing) I'm glad it's too late to call my Mom and ask her. I remember
lots of military base cocktail parties circa 1963 through 1965... Martinis,
yep. Manhattans, yep. Whiskey sours, yep. Mom does describe Sloe Gin
Fizzes from when she was a teen in the 1940s She and her mom and her
sisters sat on the front porch of the house in Ohio and sipped these.

Never could tolerate rum & coka cola.

Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot which
was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot... I can't recall
what it was called. She made a number of appetizers as well.

> [...]
> Mix Trix (like Chex Mix)
> Pumpernickel squares (crab meat, chili sauce, curry powder, mustard on
> pump)
> Deviled almond rolls
> Party pinwheels (dough, leftover meat, moistened with chili sauce,
> baked) Cocktail knishes
> Filled cream puffs (store-bought puffs filled with hot chicken salad,
> creamed shrimp, creamed turkey, served in a chafing dish)
> Broiled mushroom caps
> Baby pizzas (use English muffins!)
> Sea-food celery (stuff flaked crab & mayo into cut celery. Garnish
> with paprika.)
> Stuffed eggs (deviled eggs)
> Sardine surprise (sardines mashed with hard cooked egg yolks, anchovy
> paste, dry mustard, butter, & spices. Served on squares on
> pumpernickel) Ham rolls (boiled ham & liverwurst)
> Dunks (aka dips): sour cream, shrimp, chive, horseradish, guacamole,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:51 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

> Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot which
> was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot... I can't recall
> what it was called.

Chafing dish?

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yeff wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:51 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot
>> which was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot...
>> I can't recall what it was called.

> Chafing dish?

Dang! Yep, that's what it was! She gave me two of them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Dec 2006 19:53:07 -0800, "jc" > wrote:

>What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
>cocktail party?
>jc

Martinis and Screwdrivers and anything on the rocks.
Cigarettes....seems everyone smoked then

Casseroles with Campbell soup
TV Dinners
Spray Cheese....I know it sounds gross but I've seen it at a party,
and people went nuts with it.
Betty Crocker cakes with pink icing.
Those little tiny Cocktail Weiners

Play Gin Rummy, Hearts...Dice...poker
Big Plastic Jewelry
Heavy makeup blue eyeshadow
chiffon
Robes with feathers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot which
>was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot

Fondue was very 60s & '70s, but not done to my knowledge in the '50s.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Dec 2006 19:53:07 -0800, "jc" > wrote:

>What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
>cocktail party?
>jc

Gotta serve a Rob Roys, manhattans, scotch and branch water, rye and
bourbon with mixers. To serve finger food, you need one of those
wooden fish shaped thingies with holes in it where you put toothpicked
hor douvres.

My favorite toothpicked (with the frilly end) food was cream cheese
flavored with a little horseradish and spread on chipped beef, which
was then rolled into a log and cut into bite sized pieces. Other than
that, I can only remember cheese on crackers with decorations, like a
stuffed green olive slice, on top.... stuffed eggs too.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-12-03, sf <sf> wrote:

> that, I can only remember cheese on crackers with decorations, like a
> stuffed green olive slice, on top.... stuffed eggs too.

Gotta have a bowl of Chex Cocktail Mix, preferably made from scratch.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jc wrote:
> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
> cocktail party?
> jc

Why would you choose that decade? The food and drink weren't much good
the FIRST time around!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> jc wrote:
>> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
>> cocktail party?
>> jc
>>

> Why would you choose that decade? The food and drink weren't much
> good the FIRST time around!
>
> gloria p

And the clothing styles of the late 60's and 70's left much to be desired
yet what do you see youngsters wearing these days? Frayed bell bottom hip
huggers and smock tops or (in the summer) tube tops. Fashions seem to
recycle every 20 years or so, and apparently so do trends in parties!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:51 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot
>> which was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot

> Fondue was very 60s & '70s, but not done to my knowledge in the '50s.

Then what on earth did Mom use those chafing dishes for? (At any rate, my
1951 Betty Crocker cookbook lists a couple of recipes for fondue, so someone
was fonduing it!) They were small round metal pots with a Pyrex insert, set
over a candle. They weren't large enough to hold a casserole of any sort.
Maybe some sort of warm dip, then. I'll have to ask her, but I'm guessing
she won't recall. She hosted a lot of luncheons for the O-Wives but if you
ask me it was all just an excuse to have cocktails before 5PM

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 18:53:00 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>jc wrote:
>> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
>> cocktail party?
>> jc
>>

>Why would you choose that decade? The food and drink weren't much good
>the FIRST time around!

Well, you guys got me trying out sidecars this evening, and omigod,
that's a seriously good cocktail! I made the 1/3rd cointreau, 1/3rd
brandy, 1/3rd lemon juice recipe, on the rocks. Yum!

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:31:28 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:51 -0600, "jmcquown"

>> wrote:
>>

>Then what on earth did Mom use those chafing dishes for? (At any

rate, my
>1951 Betty Crocker cookbook lists a couple of recipes for fondue, so

someone
>was fonduing it!) They were small round metal pots with a Pyrex

insert, set
>over a candle. She hosted a lot of luncheons for the O-Wives but if

you
>ask me it was all just an excuse to have cocktails before 5PM
>
>Jill

Swedish meatballs?

aloha,
beans
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:02:35 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 18:53:00 GMT, Puester >
>wrote:
>
>>jc wrote:
>>> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's

style
>>> cocktail party?
>>> jc
>>>

>>Why would you choose that decade? The food and drink weren't much

good
>>the FIRST time around!

>Well, you guys got me trying out sidecars this evening, and omigod,
>that's a seriously good cocktail! I made the 1/3rd cointreau, 1/3rd
>brandy, 1/3rd lemon juice recipe, on the rocks. Yum!
>
>Nathalie in Switzerland

My parents had lots of cocktail parties in the late 50's. As a kid, I
thought the food was great. Celery with cream cheese, too Let's
see- cheese puffs? We had a great cook making all the food.

Nuff.

aloha,
beans
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-12-03, sf <sf> wrote:
>
>> that, I can only remember cheese on crackers with decorations, like a
>> stuffed green olive slice, on top.... stuffed eggs too.

> Gotta have a bowl of Chex Cocktail Mix, preferably made from scratch.

cocktail weenie piggies in blankets. ))))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:51 -0600, "jmcquown" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot
>>>which was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot

>>Fondue was very 60s & '70s, but not done to my knowledge in the '50s.

> Then what on earth did Mom use those chafing dishes for? (At any rate, my
> 1951 Betty Crocker cookbook lists a couple of recipes for fondue, so someone
> was fonduing it!) They were small round metal pots with a Pyrex insert, set
> over a candle. They weren't large enough to hold a casserole of any sort.
> Maybe some sort of warm dip, then. I'll have to ask her, but I'm guessing
> she won't recall. She hosted a lot of luncheons for the O-Wives but if you
> ask me it was all just an excuse to have cocktails before 5PM
>
> Jill

I served Cheese Fondue in the 1940's, after I was married and moved
into our first apartment in 1947. I was familiar with that dish from
having eaten it in Switzerland and in France and I found a recipe for
it in my 1941 Edition Settlement Cook Book. We used a plain pot,
probably aluminum, to melt the cheese and anything long, such as
knitting needles, to spear the bread, as my forks were too short.

In the 1950's, one of the "in" snacks was "pizzas" made with toasted
English Muffins halves, smeared with tomato sauce and topped with
cheese, then baked or broiled until the cheese melted.

None of us drank or served alcohol, but we made a then popular punch
with all sorts of juices, canned and frozen fruit and Ginger Ale. I
had a beautiful punch bowl with 12 cups, which could be hung around
the bowl with special hooks. I was always glad that I had gotten the
"best" set, which cost $4.99.

Later on, the men started to drink an occasional beer and I bought the
beer glasses that cost 15 cents each, instead of the cheap ones for
ten cents. I still have almost all of them. I gave away the punch
bowl set when my daughter in law admired it. The set was still
complete, even the hooks were all there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:51 -0600, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot
>>> which was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot

>> Fondue was very 60s & '70s, but not done to my knowledge in the '50s.

> Then what on earth did Mom use those chafing dishes for?

Cocktail meatballs in that chilisauce-grape jam mix. ;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:35:22 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>>> Fondue was very 60s & '70s, but not done to my knowledge in the '50s.

>> Then what on earth did Mom use those chafing dishes for?

>Cocktail meatballs in that chilisauce-grape jam mix. ;-)

Officially known as Meatballs au Nancy Young :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sounds like fun!

Stick toothpicks into things - rumaki, mini cheese balls, cocktail
wienies, etc.

Dips - clam dip, California dip (AKA - Lipton's onion soup mix dip).

Shrimp cocktail, deviled eggs, stuffed celery.

People in the 50's were into Polynesian/Tiki things - so maybe make
crab rangoon or something like that?

Enjoy your party,
Kris

jc wrote:
> What drink and snack combinations would you serve at a 1950's style
> cocktail party?
> jc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:51 -0600, "jmcquown"

>>> Fondue was very 60s & '70s, but not done to my knowledge in the
>>> '50s.

>> Then what on earth did Mom use those chafing dishes for?

> Cocktail meatballs in that chilisauce-grape jam mix. ;-)
>
> gloria p

I promise!!! my mom did not make those! Nancy Young, on the other hand...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Puester wrote:

>> Cocktail meatballs in that chilisauce-grape jam mix. ;-)

> I promise!!! my mom did not make those! Nancy Young, on the other hand...

Your mother had CROCKPOTS full of them at her parties. And you
know it.

heh. nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Never could tolerate rum & coka cola.

Or Coca Cola?

> Mom served fondue for these many cocktail parties, some sort of pot which
> was kept warm over a candle but wasn't called a fondue pot... I can't recall
> what it was called.

Sterno. It was still a "fondue pot" however.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 03 Dec 2006 11:40:11p, meant to say...

> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:49:05 -0600, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2006-12-03, sf <sf> wrote:
>>
>>> that, I can only remember cheese on crackers with decorations, like a
>>> stuffed green olive slice, on top.... stuffed eggs too.

>>Gotta have a bowl of Chex Cocktail Mix, preferably made from scratch.
>>

> That wasn't a 50's concoction in my world, nb. It was pure '60s.

My mom was making it in the 50s. The recipe was introduced by General Mills
in 1954.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:55:28 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>I served Cheese Fondue in the 1940's, after I was married and moved
>into our first apartment in 1947. I was familiar with that dish from
>having eaten it in Switzerland and in France and I found a recipe for
>it in my 1941 Edition Settlement Cook Book. We used a plain pot,
>probably aluminum, to melt the cheese and anything long, such as
>knitting needles, to spear the bread, as my forks were too short.
>
>In the 1950's, one of the "in" snacks was "pizzas" made with toasted
>English Muffins halves, smeared with tomato sauce and topped with
>cheese, then baked or broiled until the cheese melted.

How many times do we have to tell you that you were a woman ahead of
her time? Someone had to be on the cutting edge and it looks like you
were. As for me, fondue wasn't even on my radar screen until the late
'60s and english muffin pizzas weren't considered until well into the
'70s when my kids were little (no, I still won't do it).

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:49:05 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-12-03, sf <sf> wrote:
>
>> that, I can only remember cheese on crackers with decorations, like a
>> stuffed green olive slice, on top.... stuffed eggs too.

>Gotta have a bowl of Chex Cocktail Mix, preferably made from scratch.

That wasn't a 50's concoction in my world, nb. It was pure '60s.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:22:40 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2006-12-03, sf <sf> wrote:
>>
>>> that, I can only remember cheese on crackers with decorations, like a
>>> stuffed green olive slice, on top.... stuffed eggs too.

>> Gotta have a bowl of Chex Cocktail Mix, preferably made from scratch.
>>

>cocktail weenie piggies in blankets. ))))))

'60s... maybe the right and left coasters did it, but it hadn't hit
the middle of the country - at the very least my family.

Where did you grow up?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:02:35 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
> wrote:

> I made the 1/3rd cointreau, 1/3rd
>brandy, 1/3rd lemon juice recipe, on the rocks. Yum!

Give us enough time and we'll make an alcoholic out of you.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-12-03, sf <sf> wrote:
>
>> that, I can only remember cheese on crackers with decorations, like a
>> stuffed green olive slice, on top.... stuffed eggs too.

> Gotta have a bowl of Chex Cocktail Mix, preferably made from scratch.

We were much more uptown. Planter's Peanuts and <gasp> a
separate bowl, smaller, of cashews. We had never heard of
Chex Mix. My parents always put stuff out that was our
normal sorts of foods, just presented differently. Meatballs
we made, much smaller than usual, but in a tomato sauce.
Spareribs from a Chinese restaurant reheated in a paper bag
with a splash of water. Small bits of various sausages with
toothpicks in a shot glass in the middle of that platter.
Bread sticks - grissini. Cheeses of several sorts, usually
cut into little cubes and more toothpicks. Rolled slices of
roast beef and maybe ham. If they were feeling wild and
crazy, they put a dab of horseradish in hte beef rolls and a
dab of mustard in teh ham rolls. Litle savory pastries from
an Italian bakery. Later on, as their circle of friends
expanded to include immigrants and other first-generation
Americans, their kitchen senses grew correspondingly. So we
found ourselves with Russian, Ukranian, Polish, German adn
Spanish foods making their ways into the scheme. Later, they
added Moroccan, Guatemalan, Brazillian and a few others as
they discovered relatives and others connected to us one way
or another.

I remember one particularly memorable party when my parents
had gotten a genuine Waring Blender with Fred Waring's
picture on the box. 1956, New Year's Eve. My father decided
the drink du jour was a Brandy Alexander. Creme de cacao,
brandy, cream and a dash of nutmeg. Maybe a dozen people at
our house, all adults except me. They finished three bottles
of creme de cacao and that was the end of that, it seemed.
My father went back out to teh kitchen and shortly came back
with another pitcher of BAs, poured everybody's glasses
full. I had to see this. I went out to teh kitchen to find
this setup: a half-filled bottle of brandy, a glass quart of
heavy cream and my jar of Bosco chocolate milk syrup. He
came back out to teh kitchen while I wsa looking. He said,
"Nobody noticed." Used the rest of the brandy, all my Bosco
and then decided to make what he called grasshoppers. Not
according to any normal recipe. He made them with some white
wine, green creme de menthe, my grandfather's (many-times)
distilled grappa and some cream. They actually tasted
good,but he wouldn't let me drink any more after that first
taste.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:55:28 GMT, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>

>>I served Cheese Fondue in the 1940's, after I was married and moved
>>into our first apartment in 1947. I was familiar with that dish from
>>having eaten it in Switzerland and in France and I found a recipe for
>>it in my 1941 Edition Settlement Cook Book. We used a plain pot,
>>probably aluminum, to melt the cheese and anything long, such as
>>knitting needles, to spear the bread, as my forks were too short.
>>
>>In the 1950's, one of the "in" snacks was "pizzas" made with toasted
>>English Muffins halves, smeared with tomato sauce and topped with
>>cheese, then baked or broiled until the cheese melted.

> How many times do we have to tell you that you were a woman ahead of
> her time? Someone had to be on the cutting edge and it looks like you
> were. As for me, fondue wasn't even on my radar screen until the late
> '60s and english muffin pizzas weren't considered until well into the
> '70s when my kids were little (no, I still won't do it).

You give me undeserved credit. (

I just went and looked for the old Settlement cook book from which I
thought I took the recipe. It isn't there and I no longer have the
other cook books I used at that time. Perhaps I got the recipe from
someone, perhaps we made up the dish as we went along. I know that we
had no beer or other alcohol except for Southern Comfort and used that
horrid sweet liqueur instead and we kept adding hot milk to the pot,
to keep the "fondue" liquid. The recipe in the Settlement Cook Book
is for a baked fondue and I never made that one.

As for the "pizza" made from English Muffins, I never made them,
because I did not like any kind of Pizza at that time, but everybody
else served them, most likely because one hostess made them and all
the others followed suit. We were a closely knit circle of friends
and copied everything from one another and the first one to serve it
did so when she invited us to meet her new baby in 1956 or 1957. I
really LOVE a good slice of Pizza now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> with a splash of water. Small bits of various sausages with
> toothpicks in a shot glass in the middle of that platter.

Those sausages must have been really small to fit into a shot glass!
Wow!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/3, Christmas Cookies!; Barcelona 12-2 (you might have
to scroll down to find it.

http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:

> I remember one particularly memorable party when my parents had gotten a
> genuine Waring Blender with Fred Waring's picture on the box. 1956, New
> Year's Eve. My father decided the drink du jour was a Brandy Alexander.
> Creme de cacao, brandy, cream and a dash of nutmeg. Maybe a dozen people
> at our house, all adults except me. They finished three bottles of creme
> de cacao and that was the end of that, it seemed. My father went back
> out to teh kitchen and shortly came back with another pitcher of BAs,
> poured everybody's glasses full. I had to see this. I went out to teh
> kitchen to find this setup: a half-filled bottle of brandy, a glass
> quart of heavy cream and my jar of Bosco chocolate milk syrup. He came
> back out to teh kitchen while I wsa looking. He said, "Nobody noticed."
> Used the rest of the brandy, all my Bosco and then decided to make what
> he called grasshoppers. Not according to any normal recipe. He made them
> with some white wine, green creme de menthe, my grandfather's
> (many-times) distilled grappa and some cream. They actually tasted
> good,but he wouldn't let me drink any more after that first taste.
>
> Pastorio

Your father was a very resourceful man. By the time he started he
substitutions, I doubt that anyone could still taste anything.

That reminds me of a New Years Eve circa 1959 when my dad and his best
friend got looped on homemade wine at a party and Dad had his mid-life
crisis. He kept saying "I'm in my last ditch." He owned a grocery
store and hadn't left it even for a day for almost 20 years.

This resulted in our taking our first vacation ever that next summer,
three months in the Old Country (Portugal) where he discovered that
things weren't much changed from when he had emigrated 40 years
previously. This made him decide that the US wasn't such a bad place
and (to my immense relief) that he couldn't retire to the Homeland.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-12-04, sf <sf> wrote:

> That wasn't a 50's concoction in my world, nb. It was pure '60s.

My world must be older than your world. It was definitely around in
the 50s. I know this because it was during the 50s that I was an avid
reader of cereal boxes and wheat chex was a particular favorite of
mine.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> How many times do we have to tell you that you were a woman ahead of
> her time? Someone had to be on the cutting edge and it looks like you
> were. As for me, fondue wasn't even on my radar screen until the late
> '60s and english muffin pizzas weren't considered until well into the
> '70s when my kids were little (no, I still won't do it).
>
> --

I had a pizza party for my 16th birthday - that was in the 50s. ;-) We
had miniatures, and I continued making them through the 70s for parties
at our house.

I was married in 1962, and we got SIX fondue pots for gifts. (This was
before registries.) Fondue was still pretty much at the beginning of
its popularity, or at least solidly in the middle. We used them
regularly throughout the 70s, for beef, chocolate and cheese fondues.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> with a splash of water. Small bits of various sausages with
>> toothpicks in a shot glass in the middle of that platter.

> Those sausages must have been really small to fit into a shot glass!
> Wow!

Who you callin' Shorty...?

Oh, wait...

Pastorio