Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Halloween Candy

Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-26 2:01 PM, Tara wrote:
> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

I am not buying any this year. We have not had kids come around for
about 20 years. We keep buying candy and end up eating it ourselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-10-26 2:01 PM, Tara wrote:
>> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
>> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
>> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
>> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

> I am not buying any this year. We have not had kids come around for about
> 20 years. We keep buying candy and end up eating it ourselves.

Me either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 7:54 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2013-10-26 2:01 PM, Tara wrote:
>>> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't
>>> too
>>> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
>>> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
>>> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

>> I am not buying any this year. We have not had kids come around for
>> about 20 years. We keep buying candy and end up eating it ourselves.
>>

> Me either.
>
> Cheri

LOL Given where I live... nope, I don't expect a group of 70-somethings
with flashlights to ring the doorbell! If they did, I'd probably be
expected to give them homemade cupcakes or slices of banana bread.

Even when I lived in west TN, there weren't any kids knocking on the
door. I lived in my last apartment for close to 12 years. The first
couple of years I bought candy, expecting kids to knock. Didn't happen.
I wound up taking that candy to work and let other people eat it.
After that I just quit buying candy for Halloween. I do still like the
decorations, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I bought about 100 small Milky Ways - when they are gone, the lights go off. I'd rather give the money to a food bank, but these traditions die hard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.
>
> Tara

Bought it awhile ago. Full sized Sour Patch Kids, Skittles and Twizzlers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" wrote in message

Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

Tara

~~~~~~
I used to buy individually wrapped pieces of candy. I would buy candy that
I thought children would like but that would not be a temptation to me.
However, I stopped buying candy a few years ago. I started getting "hordes"
of children who obviously did not live in our community. I would look
outside and see vans with children literally pouring out of them. I would
be happy to give candy to neighborhood kids, but most of the children that
were coming to the door were were children I did not know. Moreover, their
parents cannot possibly know anything about us when they literally "import"
them into various neighborhoods. The last year I bought candy, I ran out
after I counted more than 200 trick-or-treaters! So, now I turn out the
lights and go to a back room to read. I use my Kindle with a small light,
so it is not obvious that anyone is home.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 2:01 PM, Tara wrote:

> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.
>
> Tara

I bought a bag from amazon and it include things like milk duds that I
can't eat with my dental work. It has receece pieces, peanut butter
cups, kit kats and malted milk balls and the ones I like I've eaten
enough of so far that I wont eat anymore before Oct 31.

--
CAPSLOCK€“Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2013 1:52 AM, MaryL wrote:

>> "Tara" wrote in message

>> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
>> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
>> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
>> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

> I used to buy individually wrapped pieces of candy. I would buy candy
> that I thought children would like but that would not be a temptation to
> me. However, I stopped buying candy a few years ago. I started getting
> "hordes" of children who obviously did not live in our community. I
> would look outside and see vans with children literally pouring out of
> them. I would be happy to give candy to neighborhood kids, but most of
> the children that were coming to the door were were children I did not
> know. Moreover, their parents cannot possibly know anything about us
> when they literally "import" them into various neighborhoods.

I saw that one year, a van pulled up and out came a bunch of kids
from who knows where. It wasn't overwhelming, and I always have a
ton of candy leftover so it wasn't a problem, but if it was like what
happened to you, it would be a huge hassle.

I always get that big box of Snickers from Costco. I used to try
to mix it up thinking maybe some of the kids can't have nuts or
chocolate, but hey, let them swap with their brothers like we did.
Heh. Actually, I get so few kids anymore, and Halloween was cancelled
due to bad weather two years now. Wonder if I'll see any at all this
year. There will be Snickers kicking around the freezer til next
summer.

> The last
> year I bought candy, I ran out after I counted more than 200
> trick-or-treaters! So, now I turn out the lights and go to a back room
> to read. I use my Kindle with a small light, so it is not obvious that
> anyone is home.

Too bad that's how it has to be.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:
>Tara wrote:
>
>> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
>> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
>> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
>> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

>I bought a bag from amazon and it include things like milk duds that I
>can't eat with my dental work. It has receece pieces, peanut butter
>cups, kit kats and malted milk balls and the ones I like I've eaten
>enough of so far that I wont eat anymore before Oct 31.

I usta buy like six large bags of individually wrapped candy but for
the past five years hardly any kids around here do T or T anymore,
they go to Halloween parties sponsored by the various churches. So I
switched from buying candy to getting a roll of quarters, each kid
gets 25˘... I'll bet this year I won't get more than ten kids. When I
was a kid a lot of people handed out pennies... in those days a penny
bought more candy than a quarter does today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 10/27/2013 1:52 AM, MaryL wrote:

>> "Tara" wrote in message

>> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
>> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
>> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
>> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

> I used to buy individually wrapped pieces of candy. I would buy candy
> that I thought children would like but that would not be a temptation to
> me. However, I stopped buying candy a few years ago. I started getting
> "hordes" of children who obviously did not live in our community. I
> would look outside and see vans with children literally pouring out of
> them. I would be happy to give candy to neighborhood kids, but most of
> the children that were coming to the door were were children I did not
> know. Moreover, their parents cannot possibly know anything about us
> when they literally "import" them into various neighborhoods.

I saw that one year, a van pulled up and out came a bunch of kids
from who knows where. It wasn't overwhelming, and I always have a
ton of candy leftover so it wasn't a problem, but if it was like what
happened to you, it would be a huge hassle.

I always get that big box of Snickers from Costco. I used to try
to mix it up thinking maybe some of the kids can't have nuts or
chocolate, but hey, let them swap with their brothers like we did.
Heh. Actually, I get so few kids anymore, and Halloween was cancelled
due to bad weather two years now. Wonder if I'll see any at all this
year. There will be Snickers kicking around the freezer til next
summer.

> The last
> year I bought candy, I ran out after I counted more than 200
> trick-or-treaters! So, now I turn out the lights and go to a back room
> to read. I use my Kindle with a small light, so it is not obvious that
> anyone is home.

Too bad that's how it has to be.

nancy

~~~~~~~~
I could accept one van with children pouring out of it, but I looked out and
saw a whole line of vans with trick-or-treaters pouring out. It looked like
all of the vans arrived as a group, but I can't guarantee that. I ran out
of candy after I counted more than 200 children at my door, and I'm not
willing to do that any more. Ironically, this town has a big party downtown
that was started because people were concerned about the safety of children
going door-to-door in areas that were unfamiliar to them. The idea was to
substitute the downtown party (and candy) for door-to-door
trick-or-treaters. Instead, we now have both. I still would participate if
I only saw neighborhood children or children of friends, but that isn't how
it is now. It's too bad because I have good memories of Halloween from when
I was a child, but we only went to homes of people we knew. I would even
understand if these were children who did not have anything else, but I
don't think that was involved. Many of these children were wearing
expensive Halloween outfits. Going back in time: my mother made our
costumes, and some of them were really clever. I don't see that any more,
either.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:38:14 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>> However, I stopped buying candy a few years ago. I started getting
>> "hordes" of children who obviously did not live in our community. I
>> would look outside and see vans with children literally pouring out of
>> them.

>I saw that one year, a van pulled up and out came a bunch of kids
>from who knows where. It wasn't overwhelming, and I always have a
>ton of candy leftover so it wasn't a problem, but if it was like what
>happened to you, it would be a huge hassle.

And that is why we go out to dinner on Halloween.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:

> However, I stopped buying candy a few years ago. I started getting "hordes"
> of children who obviously did not live in our community. I would look
> outside and see vans with children literally pouring out of them. I would
> be happy to give candy to neighborhood kids, but most of the children that
> were coming to the door were were children I did not know. Moreover, their
> parents cannot possibly know anything about us when they literally "import"
> them into various neighborhoods.

That's exactly my theory MaryL. No responsible parent should let
their kiddies go door to door for handouts in this age. I buy *good*
candy bars for the few kids/families that I know here and I take them
over *before* trick or treat time. I don't open my door for the
others.

When my daughter was that young age, I walked with her and only let
her go to people that I knew.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:01:34 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't too
> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

We bought a huge bag a couple of weeks ago and were planning to
supplement it with smaller bags from the grocery store. Got into the
car and remembered that we weren't going to be home that night, so it
was returned before we left the parking lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 11:01:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:38:14 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>

> >> However, I stopped buying candy a few years ago. I started getting
> >> "hordes" of children who obviously did not live in our community. I
> >> would look outside and see vans with children literally pouring out of
> >> them.

> >I saw that one year, a van pulled up and out came a bunch of kids
> >from who knows where. It wasn't overwhelming, and I always have a
> >ton of candy leftover so it wasn't a problem, but if it was like what
> >happened to you, it would be a huge hassle.

> And that is why we go out to dinner on Halloween.

It seems like this ng is littered with grumpy old farts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

<snip> No responsible parent should let
their kiddies go door to door for handouts in this age. I buy *good*
candy bars for the few kids/families that I know here and I take them
over *before* trick or treat time. I don't open my door for the
others.

G.

~~~~~~
That's a great idea. I think I'll borrow it.

MaryL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
> <snip> No responsible parent should let
> their kiddies go door to door for handouts in this age. I buy *good*
> candy bars for the few kids/families that I know here and I take them
> over *before* trick or treat time. I don't open my door for the
> others.
>
> G.

I do the same, except for the first part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:27:51 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 11:01:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> >I saw that one year, a van pulled up and out came a bunch of kids
>> >from who knows where. It wasn't overwhelming, and I always have a
>> >ton of candy leftover so it wasn't a problem, but if it was like what
>> >happened to you, it would be a huge hassle.

>> And that is why we go out to dinner on Halloween.

>It seems like this ng is littered with grumpy old farts.

Yep. It is fun when the little kids come, but I don't give a crap
about the teenagers just out for loot. Especially those getting
bussed in from miles away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Cheryl > wrote:
>>Tara wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone bought Halloween candy yet? I try to buy candy that isn't
>>> too
>>> tempting to me. I bought a giant mixed bag of Willy Wonka candy with
>>> Laffy Taffy, Bottle Caps, Sweet Tarts, and Nerds. Then I panicked and
>>> bought a giant bag of Dum Dums.

>>I bought a bag from amazon and it include things like milk duds that I
>>can't eat with my dental work. It has receece pieces, peanut butter
>>cups, kit kats and malted milk balls and the ones I like I've eaten
>>enough of so far that I wont eat anymore before Oct 31.

> I usta buy like six large bags of individually wrapped candy but for
> the past five years hardly any kids around here do T or T anymore,
> they go to Halloween parties sponsored by the various churches. So I
> switched from buying candy to getting a roll of quarters, each kid
> gets 25˘... I'll bet this year I won't get more than ten kids. When I
> was a kid a lot of people handed out pennies... in those days a penny
> bought more candy than a quarter does today.

Can you even buy anything for a quarter these days?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> [...]

> door, and I'm not willing to do that any more. Ironically, this town has
> a big party downtown that was started because people were concerned about
> the safety of children going door-to-door in areas that were unfamiliar to
> them. The idea was to substitute the downtown party (and candy) for
> door-to-door trick-or-treaters. Instead, we now have both. I still would
> participate if I only saw neighborhood children or children of friends,
> but that isn't how it is now. It's too bad because I have good memories
> of Halloween from when I was a child, but we only went to homes of people
> we knew. I would even understand if these were children who did not have
> anything else, but I don't think that was involved. Many of these
> children were wearing expensive Halloween outfits. Going back in time: my
> mother made our costumes, and some of them were really clever. I don't

Similar thing happened to me one year. Something happened on one of the
roads that stopped traffic. Never did figure out what that was. Husband
took daughter to grandma's house and they were stuck on it.

But there had to have been something on another road as well because traffic
was rerouted down my road. It was warm that year and we'd made a treasure
chest of toys and stationary items. Because we have a storm door, I was
having a difficult time holding the door open and opening the the treasure
chest for little kids who were down lower than I was.

So... I went out to my van, opened the back of it, decorated it up with
some battery operated lights and a few other things plucked from near the
door and put the treasure chest there. Sat by it in a lawn chair, dressed
as a witch.

Because traffic was stopped on my street, people got out of their cars and
came over. I heard them yell to one another to come over.

It has been all downhill since. I think people remembered that and still
stop by. We used to go all out with the decorations too. Did not do that
this year so maybe it will help.

But... We got scads of vehicles driving up just to come to our house. We
didn't know any of them but I seem to remember some from year to year.

I don't mind giving stuff to neighbors or people we know. But I rather
dislike these strangers just coming to my house. Perhaps if I were rich, it
wouldn't matter. But I'm not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 11:01:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> >I saw that one year, a van pulled up and out came a bunch of kids
>> >from who knows where. It wasn't overwhelming, and I always have a
>> >ton of candy leftover so it wasn't a problem, but if it was like what
>> >happened to you, it would be a huge hassle.

>> And that is why we go out to dinner on Halloween.

> It seems like this ng is littered with grumpy old farts.

Yes. I think even if I never got any kids from year to year, I would still
buy one bag of candy or at least put a bowl of coins by the door just in
case. You never know.

When we moved here, this block had tons of kids. We have a lot of "starter"
homes here. But now families don't want that kind of home. They want
something big! It is the older folks who don't want to do stairs that are
downsizing to these homes.

Also around here new construction is HUGE! In many cases a new house costs
less than an older one. Granted they have no yards to speak of but that
doesn't seem to matter now either. Kids don't play outside any more.

So... You just never know. A little kid may move into the neighborhood. I
would want to be prepared for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> However, I stopped buying candy a few years ago. I started getting
>> "hordes"
>> of children who obviously did not live in our community. I would look
>> outside and see vans with children literally pouring out of them. I
>> would
>> be happy to give candy to neighborhood kids, but most of the children
>> that
>> were coming to the door were were children I did not know. Moreover,
>> their
>> parents cannot possibly know anything about us when they literally
>> "import"
>> them into various neighborhoods.

> That's exactly my theory MaryL. No responsible parent should let
> their kiddies go door to door for handouts in this age. I buy *good*
> candy bars for the few kids/families that I know here and I take them
> over *before* trick or treat time. I don't open my door for the
> others.

We did have neighbors who did that. Somtimes with homemade stuff. I think
my mom buys for the kids on either side of her and takes it over. But she
doesn't keep other candy just in case. Then again, she lives at the top of
a hill and no kid wants to walk up it.

> When my daughter was that young age, I walked with her and only let
> her go to people that I knew.

Yep. Same here. Mine only really went to a few houses. She couldn't eat
most of what she was given anyway so there was no point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I don't mind giving stuff to neighbors or people we know. But I rather
> dislike these strangers just coming to my house. Perhaps if I were rich,
> it wouldn't matter. But I'm not.

I dislike (hasn't happened for a few years) older teenagers with bad
attitudes, otherwise I don't mind. It has been a waste of money to buy all
that candy in the past when few came, so we started giving money in an
envelope to just the kids on our street with their name on it and a note
telling them to pick out the kind of candy they want. They were thrilled.
Now they're old kids, so we don't do Halloween anymore.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:36:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> It is fun when the little kids come, but I don't give a crap
> about the teenagers just out for loot.

I have no problem with teenagers who trick r treat in a group with
mainly younger children. There's a certain time they come out in
packs (which is after the little kids have gone home) and that's when
I close up shop.

> Especially those getting
> bussed in from miles away.

We get little ones bussed in, not aware of anyone ever bussing in
teenagers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:36:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> It is fun when the little kids come, but I don't give a crap
>> about the teenagers just out for loot.

> I have no problem with teenagers who trick r treat in a group with
> mainly younger children. There's a certain time they come out in
> packs (which is after the little kids have gone home) and that's when
> I close up shop.
>
>> Especially those getting
>> bussed in from miles away.

> We get little ones bussed in, not aware of anyone ever bussing in
> teenagers.

I think the teenagers drive themselves.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't mind giving stuff to neighbors or people we know. But I rather
>> dislike these strangers just coming to my house. Perhaps if I were rich,
>> it wouldn't matter. But I'm not.

> I dislike (hasn't happened for a few years) older teenagers with bad
> attitudes, otherwise I don't mind. It has been a waste of money to buy all
> that candy in the past when few came, so we started giving money in an
> envelope to just the kids on our street with their name on it and a note
> telling them to pick out the kind of candy they want. They were thrilled.
> Now they're old kids, so we don't do Halloween anymore.

I haven't seen any bad attitudes at the door but we've had them around.
I've seen and heard them destroy my decorations and on the 4th of July, one
shot a bottle rocket at Angela. I told him politely not to aim them at us.
They are illegal here and I could have called the police. I chose not to
take that route. He then mouthed off to me, horrifying Angela and making me
angry. I then got my husband when I should have just called the police.
Husband said something to him which only made him more mouthy.

We have in some years gotten a lot of older teens who are not in costume.
But we also get adults. Sometimes I think they are just really in need of
food. I am tempted to pick up a box or two of granola bars or some such
thing to give to the adults that come by.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:36:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> It is fun when the little kids come, but I don't give a crap
>>> about the teenagers just out for loot.

>> I have no problem with teenagers who trick r treat in a group with
>> mainly younger children. There's a certain time they come out in
>> packs (which is after the little kids have gone home) and that's when
>> I close up shop.
>>
>>> Especially those getting
>>> bussed in from miles away.

>> We get little ones bussed in, not aware of anyone ever bussing in
>> teenagers.

Ha! Was going to say the same thing.

Halloween Candy Tara General Cooking 16 28-10-2012 04:00 AM
What Your Halloween Candy Says About You Tara General Cooking 30 31-10-2011 07:33 PM
Halloween candy Nancy Young General Cooking 44 17-10-2006 09:23 PM
halloween candy elaine General Cooking 1 31-10-2005 11:06 PM
Halloween candy DJS0302 General Cooking 10 28-10-2004 04:25 PM