Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cauliflower

On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
> make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

Good timing. I just bought a head today. I look forward to reading
this thread. My usual way is to roast flowerettes with some garlic,
salt and olive oil.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:24:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I don't really like the stuff. Can eat it raw. And can eat a very small
> amount in a soup. Other than that, I don't make it.

It makes a great dipper for hummus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 3:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
>>> to make
>>> it taste of err something.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried
>>> toms in
>>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

>> Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
>> http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/
>>

> Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)

It's good. I make it pureed with roasted cauliflower - delicious!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
> make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I'll eat it raw, sometimes with my own hummus.

I have about 12 different ways to prepare it but I actually just like it
raw as a snack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
> make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I usually eat it with other veggies, and sometimes stir fry. Good pizza
topping.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

> I don't really like the stuff. Can eat it raw. And can eat a very small
> amount in a soup. Other than that, I don't make it.

ok

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> Good timing. I just bought a head today. I look forward to reading this
> thread. My usual way is to roast flowerettes with some garlic, salt and
> olive oil.

Well we have a lot of choices after the posts on cauli

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 9/12/2013 3:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
>>> http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/
>>>

>> Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)
>>

> It's good. I make it pureed with roasted cauliflower - delicious!

Ooh yes! The roasted part should give it a lot of flavour
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hench" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> I'll eat it raw, sometimes with my own hummus.
>
> I have about 12 different ways to prepare it but I actually just like it
> raw as a snack.

OK sooo how about sharing the "12 different ways to prepare it"?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> I usually eat it with other veggies, and sometimes stir fry. Good pizza
> topping.

Not tried it on pizza. Do you cook it at all first?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in news:b9efsaFpj2uU1
@mid.individual.net:

>>> If you would be so kind? Yes, please

Cauliflower casserole

1 8 oz can spinach (larger ok)(best if you chop it in processor)
1 3/4 C cauliflower
8 oz can mushrooms
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 C elbow mac, regular or whole grain (don't use more - less is ok)
1 can cream mushroom soup
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar, whichever type you prefer
1/4 C mushroom juice and water
Bread crumbs

Brown onions, garlic and cauliflower

Cook mac

Mix all in casserole. Spread bread crumbs over top. Cook uncovered 1 hour
at 375

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in news:b9efsaFpj2uU1
> @mid.individual.net:

> Cauliflower casserole
>
> 1 8 oz can spinach (larger ok)(best if you chop it in processor)
> 1 3/4 C cauliflower
> 8 oz can mushrooms
> 2 cloves garlic chopped
> 2 C elbow mac, regular or whole grain (don't use more - less is ok)
> 1 can cream mushroom soup
> 1 onion chopped
> 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar, whichever type you prefer
> 1/4 C mushroom juice and water
> Bread crumbs
>
> Brown onions, garlic and cauliflower
>
> Cook mac
>
> Mix all in casserole. Spread bread crumbs over top. Cook uncovered 1 hour
> at 375

Thanks very much, Ken) That looks really good!!! That is definitely on
the menu for next week --
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> Thanks very much, Ken) That looks really good!!! That is
> definitely on the menu for next week --

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Thanks very much, Ken) That looks really good!!! That is
>> definitely on the menu for next week --
>>

> Hope you like it as much as I do.

I will report back
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in news:b9efsaFpj2uU1
> @mid.individual.net:

> Cauliflower casserole
>
> 1 8 oz can spinach (larger ok)(best if you chop it in processor)
> 1 3/4 C cauliflower
> 8 oz can mushrooms
> 2 cloves garlic chopped
> 2 C elbow mac, regular or whole grain (don't use more - less is ok)
> 1 can cream mushroom soup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're brave to list that ingredient on this group.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 22:51:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:28:11 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

om...

>>>Yes I like that too but I like the idea of the beans added! Thanks)

>> Never done it with beans myself (yet) but no reason why not.

>If you get to it before me, please report? I don't know if it makes a
>difference, but I have canned beans and I would use those.

I think canned would be better, well I know canned ones are usually
better than the ones I cook myself. Maybe I need to look into how I'm
cooking them? Same with chick peas actually, canned ones are always
nicer than mine... I do hate separating the skins when cooking chick
peas...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> KenK wrote:
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in news:b9efsaFpj2uU1
>> @mid.individual.net:

>> Cauliflower casserole
>>
>> 1 8 oz can spinach (larger ok)(best if you chop it in processor)
>> 1 3/4 C cauliflower
>> 8 oz can mushrooms
>> 2 cloves garlic chopped
>> 2 C elbow mac, regular or whole grain (don't use more - less is ok)
>> 1 can cream mushroom soup

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> You're brave to list that ingredient on this group.

lol not really, some would use the soup and others will make a sauce
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2013 4:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Hench" > wrote in message
>> On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>> make it taste of err something.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>>

>> I'll eat it raw, sometimes with my own hummus.
>>
>> I have about 12 different ways to prepare it but I actually just like
>> it raw as a snack.

> OK sooo how about sharing the "12 different ways to prepare it"?

Roasted with balsamic vinegar and whole garlic cloves which is close to
what the OP does.

Several casseroles, esp one mixed with percino/shaved parmesan and
smoked ham or turkey

Baked with broccoli and caramelised onions

I'll put cauliflower in a bean salad

I use in a leek soup

I'll use it time to time in long pasta dishes with a white sauce (Like
fettuccine)

Sheppard's pie

Quiches

Into a sausage Galette

It's also great curried

Mainly, I like it raw! i sometimes use a bacon mayonnaise as an added
treat to it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hench" > wrote in message ...
> On 9/13/2013 4:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I'll eat it raw, sometimes with my own hummus.
>>>
>>> I have about 12 different ways to prepare it but I actually just like
>>> it raw as a snack.

>> OK sooo how about sharing the "12 different ways to prepare it"?
>>

> Roasted with balsamic vinegar and whole garlic cloves which is close to
> what the OP does.
>
> Several casseroles, esp one mixed with percino/shaved parmesan and smoked
> ham or turkey
>
> Baked with broccoli and caramelised onions
>
> I'll put cauliflower in a bean salad
>
> I use in a leek soup
>
> I'll use it time to time in long pasta dishes with a white sauce (Like
> fettuccine)
>
> Sheppard's pie
>
> Quiches
>
> Into a sausage Galette
>
> It's also great curried
>
> Mainly, I like it raw! i sometimes use a bacon mayonnaise as an added
> treat to it

Very nice Thank you
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:16:33 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> KenK wrote:
> >
> > "Ophelia" > wrote in news:b9efsaFpj2uU1
> > @mid.individual.net:

> > Cauliflower casserole
> >
> > 1 8 oz can spinach (larger ok)(best if you chop it in processor)
> > 1 3/4 C cauliflower
> > 8 oz can mushrooms
> > 2 cloves garlic chopped
> > 2 C elbow mac, regular or whole grain (don't use more - less is ok)
> > 1 can cream mushroom soup

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> You're brave to list that ingredient on this group.

It's an easy enough ingredient to "make yourself".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 06:17:52 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 22:51:36 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:28:11 +0100, "Ophelia"

> >> Never done it with beans myself (yet) but no reason why not.

> >If you get to it before me, please report? I don't know if it makes a
> >difference, but I have canned beans and I would use those.

> I think canned would be better, well I know canned ones are usually
> better than the ones I cook myself. Maybe I need to look into how I'm
> cooking them? Same with chick peas actually, canned ones are always
> nicer than mine... I do hate separating the skins when cooking chick
> peas...

I'd use a different bean, not chick peas - any white bean would work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:10:06 -0400, Hench > wrote:

> Sheppard's pie

I've substituted mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes several times
and absolutely love it that way. It's a great way to increase your
vegetable intake without feeling like something is missing.

> Into a sausage Galette

Fabulous idea! Do you use a recipe or just throw it together? I have
a butternut, apple & sausage galette recipe that I love.

> It's also great curried

Just had it a couple of days ago in butter chicken and oh, yes - it
picks up the color and flavor of the sauce it's in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2013 7:56 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:10:06 -0400, Hench > wrote:
>
>> Sheppard's pie

> I've substituted mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes several times
> and absolutely love it that way. It's a great way to increase your
> vegetable intake without feeling like something is missing.

I usually brown the cauliflower in a large frying pan with oil,
shallots, and whole crushed garlic cloves. let the cauliflower cool,
save the shallot bits and throw away the garlic

Then i puree the cauliflower with cheese. usually a bit of feta and
white cheddar with lots of ground Parmesan and a bit of dried parsley.

In the meantime i heat butter in the pan add flour, then milk, thicken
it up, really thick roux, then reintroduce the pureed cauliflower cheese
mixture into the roux. Somewhere along there I add an egg, I forget my
notes now.

And that's my shepherds pie potatoe topping substitute. I make the
gravey for the meat portion of the pie extra dark and rich to mask any
flour taste the cauliflower/roux mixture might impart

>> Into a sausage Galette

> Fabulous idea! Do you use a recipe or just throw it together? I have
> a butternut, apple & sausage galette recipe that I love.

sausage and carmalised pear go great too into a galette

I have a galette that i invented for my wife and she'll eat one once a
year. Baked cauliflower, torn into little florets, roasted red pepper,
crumbled spicy turkey sausage, goats cheese. The cauliflower prevents
it from being too rich.

Let me ask you, you make your own galette pastry? I just use butter
puff pastry...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:
> "gregz" > wrote in message
>> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>> make it taste of err something.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>>

>> I usually eat it with other veggies, and sometimes stir fry. Good pizza
>> topping.

> Not tried it on pizza. Do you cook it at all first?

No. Eggplant too.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz > wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote:

>>> I usually eat it with other veggies, and sometimes stir fry. Good pizza
>>> topping.

>> Not tried it on pizza. Do you cook it at all first?

> No. Eggplant too.
>
> Greg

I was thinking I grab and go. No, I blanch the cauliflower and freeze it.
Thaw and put on pizza. I'll also steam some in the microwave with other
frozen veggies, and eat with seasoning and a little butter.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:37:04 -0400, Hench > wrote:

>>> Into a sausage Galette

>> Fabulous idea! Do you use a recipe or just throw it together? I have
>> a butternut, apple & sausage galette recipe that I love.

> sausage and carmalised pear go great too into a galette

Good idea! I'll try is this Fall.

> Let me ask you, you make your own galette pastry? I just use butter
> puff pastry...

Oh, yes, I always make my own short crust pastry! I used to be able
to do it easily by hand and then I lost the "touch". I probably did
not use enough fat. Then I watched so many FN stars do it in a food
processor that I thought I'd give that a try and haven't looked back.
Are you interested in seeing the recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like it raw in a salad. If I decide to steam some for a meal, I only cut off of the head what I'll use for that meal. The rest stays in the fridge for future use. Lasts for many days this way.

If I steam it the whole head, the leftovers developed a strange texture and taste. I used to throw a lot away until I started this new system. No waste!!

With brocolli, well that's a horse in a different garage. I'll steam up the whole head and the leftovers go into a salad with tons of raw garlic, oil, vinegar etc. Raw broc makes me ill, or at least I had one bad episode and never ate it raw again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:39:11 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Raw broc makes me ill,

Really!!!???!!!

> or at least I had one bad episode and never ate it raw again.

Okay, that makes sense to me: "Once burned, twice shy."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote:

>>> I usually eat it with other veggies, and sometimes stir fry. Good pizza
>>> topping.

>> Not tried it on pizza. Do you cook it at all first?

> No. Eggplant too.

I am just wondering how it would work with mine, but it seems to be popular
raw so it wouldn't matter if it were still raw. I've yet to try it like
that . I've always had a problem with pizza. Whether it is because my
oven doesn't get hot enough? I don't know, so I have worked out a way that
works for me. I bake the dough base for 15 mins (my oven goes up to 240c)
and then add the topping for 15 minutes. It works out well but I am not
sure how well it would do with raw stuff on top

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> gregz > wrote:

>>> Not tried it on pizza. Do you cook it at all first?

>> No. Eggplant too.
>>
>> Greg

> I was thinking I grab and go. No, I blanch the cauliflower and freeze it.
> Thaw and put on pizza. I'll also steam some in the microwave with other
> frozen veggies, and eat with seasoning and a little butter.

Ahh I can see that working better for me Thanks

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

>>> Fabulous idea! Do you use a recipe or just throw it together? I have
>>> a butternut, apple & sausage galette recipe that I love.

>> sausage and carmalised pear go great too into a galette

> Good idea! I'll try is this Fall.
>
>> Let me ask you, you make your own galette pastry? I just use butter
>> puff pastry...

> Oh, yes, I always make my own short crust pastry! I used to be able
> to do it easily by hand and then I lost the "touch". I probably did
> not use enough fat. Then I watched so many FN stars do it in a food
> processor that I thought I'd give that a try and haven't looked back.
> Are you interested in seeing the recipe?

I make my shortcrust in my fp too) I never make puff pastry because I
find it too time consuming so I make Rough Puff pastry instead and it works
just fine.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I like it raw in a salad. If I decide to steam some for a meal, I only
> cut off of the head what I'll use for that meal. The rest stays in the
> fridge for future use. Lasts for many days this way.

How do you use the rest ?

> If I steam it the whole head, the leftovers developed a strange texture
> and taste. I used to throw a lot away until I started this new system.
> No waste!!
>
> With brocolli, well that's a horse in a different garage. I'll steam up
> the whole head and the leftovers go into a salad with tons of raw garlic,
> oil, vinegar etc. Raw broc makes me ill, or at least I had one bad
> episode and never ate it raw again.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:39:11 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> Raw broc makes me ill,

> Really!!!???!!!
>
>> or at least I had one bad episode and never ate it raw again.

> Okay, that makes sense to me: "Once burned, twice shy."

Works for me!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
> make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

Late to the party... so far no one has mentioned battered deep fried
cauliflower florets. Think tempura batter. I don't deep fry food at
home, but many years ago I had this at a restaurant. Quite tasty!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> Late to the party... so far no one has mentioned battered deep fried
> cauliflower florets. Think tempura batter. I don't deep fry food at
> home, but many years ago I had this at a restaurant. Quite tasty!

That is new to me! Thanks I do deep fry chips (fries) but not much else
any more. I might give those a wee try)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote:
> > Late to the party... so far no one has mentioned battered deep fried
> > cauliflower florets. Think tempura batter. I don't deep fry food at
> > home, but many years ago I had this at a restaurant. Quite tasty!

> That is new to me! Thanks I do deep fry chips (fries) but not much else
> any more. I might give those a wee try)

When I get in the mood for deep fried food, I'll do it for several
days in a row up to a week but then I'll stop for another 6 months.

My favorites during this semi-annual event week is:
- fries - potatoes cut into wedges with skin on
- tempura battered onion rings to die for
- temputa battered sweet potato - cut into bite size pieces and you
have to cook them almost to done before you batter and deep fry.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>> > Late to the party... so far no one has mentioned battered deep fried
>> > cauliflower florets. Think tempura batter. I don't deep fry food at
>> > home, but many years ago I had this at a restaurant. Quite tasty!

>> That is new to me! Thanks I do deep fry chips (fries) but not much
>> else
>> any more. I might give those a wee try)

> When I get in the mood for deep fried food, I'll do it for several
> days in a row up to a week but then I'll stop for another 6 months.
>
> My favorites during this semi-annual event week is:
> - fries - potatoes cut into wedges with skin on
> - tempura battered onion rings to die for
> - temputa battered sweet potato - cut into bite size pieces and you
> have to cook them almost to done before you batter and deep fry.

Enjoy! )

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:15:48 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I make Rough Puff pastry instead and it works just fine.
> --

I've never had the nerve to make a rough puff... I'm always afraid
I'll be disappointed. Most applications I see these days for puff
pastry are simply using store bought puff pastry in place of a hand or
FP made shortcrust. I think people need to put their expensive enough
FP (that they probably got as a wedding gift) to work more often.

The things people give for wedding gifts these days is amazing. My
DIL got one of the $400 Vita Mixes. Fortunately, she does make the
kind of smoothies that need it - I used it to make gazpacho and it
blitzed through the tomatoes as if they were yogurt. I just
discovered another wedding gift of theirs.... a cork popper. It's a
fantastic one (I'm putting it on my Christmas wish list), but it's $89
USD and that's not even the most expensive one they have. Seriously!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:13:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I am just wondering how it would work with mine, but it seems to be popular
> raw so it wouldn't matter if it were still raw. I've yet to try it like
> that . I've always had a problem with pizza. Whether it is because my
> oven doesn't get hot enough? I don't know, so I have worked out a way that
> works for me. I bake the dough base for 15 mins (my oven goes up to 240c)
> and then add the topping for 15 minutes. It works out well but I am not
> sure how well it would do with raw stuff on top

240c is on the low side, so it will definitely take longer to cook. Do
you have something like unglazed quarry tiles or a pizza stone to bake
your pizza on? That's the trick. The other is to give the tile/stone
a good long time to heat up - at least 30 minutes. If you're
prebaking your dough anyway, grill it and treat it like flatbread.

Have you ever made a fruit pizza? I made one recently using fresh
figs that was topped with arugula and a drizzle of balsamic reduction
after it came out of the oven. Oh, so GOOD! I'm going to try peaches
next.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:15:48 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> I make Rough Puff pastry instead and it works just fine.
>> --

> I've never had the nerve to make a rough puff... I'm always afraid
> I'll be disappointed.

Try it *once*) Go on, just once) I dare you

Most applications I see these days for puff
> pastry are simply using store bought puff pastry in place of a hand or
> FP made shortcrust. I think people need to put their expensive enough
> FP (that they probably got as a wedding gift) to work more often.
>
> The things people give for wedding gifts these days is amazing. My
> DIL got one of the $400 Vita Mixes. Fortunately, she does make the
> kind of smoothies that need it - I used it to make gazpacho and it
> blitzed through the tomatoes as if they were yogurt. I just
> discovered another wedding gift of theirs.... a cork popper. It's a
> fantastic one (I'm putting it on my Christmas wish list), but it's $89
> USD and that's not even the most expensive one they have. Seriously!

LOL they are welcome to it)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cauliflower sf[_9_] General Cooking 9 18-09-2013 02:52 AM
Cauliflower Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 16-09-2013 11:37 PM
Cauliflower Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 15-09-2013 11:10 PM
Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-09-2013 06:26 PM
How do you say cauliflower Denise~* General Cooking 77 09-08-2004 04:10 PM