Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch at the food truck competition

It seemed like a good idea. Okay, it was fun, I had some
great food but Dang, it's like winter out there! The wind,
the drizzle, I thought it might snow.

Anyway, I had some delicious chicken pad thai and dumplings,
a cinnamon roll, more dumplings (steamed this time) and four
cupcakes to go.

If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

nancy (warmed up, finally)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:42:46 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>It seemed like a good idea. Okay, it was fun, I had some
>great food but Dang, it's like winter out there! The wind,
>the drizzle, I thought it might snow.
>
>Anyway, I had some delicious chicken pad thai and dumplings,
>a cinnamon roll, more dumplings (steamed this time) and four
>cupcakes to go.
>
>If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
>bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.
>
>nancy (warmed up, finally)

Sounds like fun. Where is this taking place?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sounds like fun! Do you remember what other foods were offered?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 2:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:42:46 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> It seemed like a good idea. Okay, it was fun, I had some
>> great food but Dang, it's like winter out there! The wind,
>> the drizzle, I thought it might snow.
>>
>> Anyway, I had some delicious chicken pad thai and dumplings,
>> a cinnamon roll, more dumplings (steamed this time) and four
>> cupcakes to go.
>>
>> If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
>> bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

> Sounds like fun. Where is this taking place?

It's at the Monmouth Racetrack (horses). Nice and close to the
ocean.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 2:20 PM, Tara wrote:
> Sounds like fun! Do you remember what other foods were offered?

I tried to figure out from the names what they offered.
One had a pig on the side so I'm going with barbecue.
There was a grilled cheese truck, someone selling milk
curds, don't know what's up with that, the usual burger
trucks, a local hot dog place. No one was stopping for
the ice cream. A vegan truck. Something for everyone.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:42:46 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> It seemed like a good idea. Okay, it was fun, I had some
> great food but Dang, it's like winter out there! The wind,
> the drizzle, I thought it might snow.

What food truck competition... is it for the Food Network?

> If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
> bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

Where is it happening?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 6:29 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 15:30:01 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I tried to figure out from the names what they offered.
>> One had a pig on the side so I'm going with barbecue.
>> There was a grilled cheese truck, someone selling milk
>> curds, don't know what's up with that, the usual burger
>> trucks, a local hot dog place. No one was stopping for
>> the ice cream. A vegan truck. Something for everyone.

> Does the following look right?
> <http://monmouthpark.com/uploadedFiles/FoodTruckWarsMenu2013.pdf>
>
> Sounds like a GREAT time, in spite of the weather.

Hey! Thanks! If I go back, I won't have to squint at menus, I'll
know what to look for.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 6:29 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 15:30:01 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 5/25/2013 2:20 PM, Tara wrote:
>>> Sounds like fun! Do you remember what other foods were offered?

>> I tried to figure out from the names what they offered.
>> One had a pig on the side so I'm going with barbecue.
>> There was a grilled cheese truck, someone selling milk
>> curds, don't know what's up with that, the usual burger
>> trucks, a local hot dog place. No one was stopping for
>> the ice cream. A vegan truck. Something for everyone.
>>
>> nancy

> Does the following look right?
> <http://monmouthpark.com/uploadedFiles/FoodTruckWarsMenu2013.pdf>
>
> Sounds like a GREAT time, in spite of the weather.

Yep, sounds like a lot of fun!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 25, 3:49*pm, Nancy Young > wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 6:29 PM, heyjoe wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 25 May 2013 15:30:01 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
> >> I tried to figure out from the names what they offered.
> >> One had a pig on the side so I'm going with barbecue.
> >> There was a grilled cheese truck, someone selling milk
> >> curds, don't know what's up with that, the usual burger
> >> trucks, a local hot dog place. *No one was stopping for
> >> the ice cream. *A vegan truck. *Something for everyone.

> > Does the following look right?
> > <http://monmouthpark.com/uploadedFiles/FoodTruckWarsMenu2013.pdf>

> > Sounds like a GREAT time, in spite of the weather.

> Hey! *Thanks! *If I go back, I won't have to squint at menus, I'll
> know what to look for.

dang, wish I was there.
I would definitely hit the empanda truck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 7:56 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On May 25, 3:49 pm, Nancy Young > wrote:

>> Hey! Thanks! If I go back, I won't have to squint at menus, I'll
>> know what to look for.

> dang, wish I was there.
> I would definitely hit the empanda truck.

Definitely. And I'm a fiend for short ribs, so I will be
getting one of those if I go.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 1:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> It seemed like a good idea. Okay, it was fun, I had some
> great food but Dang, it's like winter out there! The wind,
> the drizzle, I thought it might snow.
>
> Anyway, I had some delicious chicken pad thai and dumplings,
> a cinnamon roll, more dumplings (steamed this time) and four
> cupcakes to go.
>
> If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
> bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

I was at a food and wine show a few weeks ago and they had some food
trucks out in front. I was curious. I had seen Eat St. and other foodie
shows that featured food trucks will all sorts of interesting foods, and
attractive people to be interviewed.

That wasn't how it was in the real life I saw. The most interesting food
truck offered overpriced BBQ, like their $12 pulled pork sandwich.
There were two that had hamburgers, hot dogs, sausage on a bun, fries
and onion rings, one with ice cream and one with pop corn. Their
customers were not at all the luscious babes I saw on FN shows. Not at
all... they were the type you expect to see at the hot dog, hamburger
and ice cream joints.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 16:56:53 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On May 25, 3:49*pm, Nancy Young > wrote:

>> > Does the following look right?
>> > <http://monmouthpark.com/uploadedFiles/FoodTruckWarsMenu2013.pdf>

>> > Sounds like a GREAT time, in spite of the weather.

>> Hey! *Thanks! *If I go back, I won't have to squint at menus, I'll
>> know what to look for.

>dang, wish I was there.
>I would definitely hit the empanda truck.

Nice varied selection. Seems like food trucks are becoming rather
popular in the cities. Our town cannot support them. A couple of
people tried hot dog carts and did not last.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 16:56:53 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:

>>> Hey! Thanks! If I go back, I won't have to squint at menus, I'll
>>> know what to look for.

>> dang, wish I was there.
>> I would definitely hit the empanda truck.

> Nice varied selection. Seems like food trucks are becoming rather
> popular in the cities. Our town cannot support them. A couple of
> people tried hot dog carts and did not last.

I'm wondering how long 'The Dog House' on Lady's Island (SC) is going to
last. It's not a food truck but it's a very small building with no
inside seating. They have a couple of picnic tables outside (good luck
with the weather!). Are hot dogs really that popular? I can't see this
place being around long. I drive past it on the way to the grocery
store. Nothing ever makes me think "gee, I really want to stop and buy
a hot dog."

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 3:26 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 2:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:42:46 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It seemed like a good idea. Okay, it was fun, I had some
>>> great food but Dang, it's like winter out there! The wind,
>>> the drizzle, I thought it might snow.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I had some delicious chicken pad thai and dumplings,
>>> a cinnamon roll, more dumplings (steamed this time) and four
>>> cupcakes to go.
>>>
>>> If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
>>> bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

>> Sounds like fun. Where is this taking place?

> It's at the Monmouth Racetrack (horses). Nice and close to the
> ocean.
>
> nancy

Sounds like fun. Where is this taking place?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 9:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Hey! Thanks! If I go back, I won't have to squint at menus, I'll
>>> know what to look for.

>> dang, wish I was there.
>> I would definitely hit the empanda truck.

> Nice varied selection. Seems like food trucks are becoming rather
> popular in the cities. Our town cannot support them. A couple of
> people tried hot dog carts and did not last.

The only food trucks we have in our small town, are tacos and BBQ.

Becca

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Young[_6_] View Post
It seemed like a good idea. Okay, it was fun, I had some
great food but Dang, it's like winter out there! The wind,
the drizzle, I thought it might snow.

Anyway, I had some delicious chicken pad thai and dumplings,
a cinnamon roll, more dumplings (steamed this time) and four
cupcakes to go.

If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

nancy (warmed up, finally)
Carb loading huh? How was the funnel cake?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2013 3:12 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 9:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Nice varied selection. Seems like food trucks are becoming rather
>> popular in the cities. Our town cannot support them. A couple of
>> people tried hot dog carts and did not last.

> The only food trucks we have in our small town, are tacos and BBQ.

I only know of two food trucks that operate locally, a hot dog
truck and a vegan truck that you can find at the farmer's market
on Sundays.

We did go back to the food truck competition but guess what, the
weather has vastly improved and it seems like two days of visitors
all went there today. The lines were loooong and weirdly, hardly
moving. I thought food trucks served up fast.

So it was a bust as far as getting any short ribs, empanadas or
much else. Good tunes, anyway, and I got a free cloth backpack
thing (I imagine it's got a name)

So I never got to find out first hand what fried Wisconsin cheese
curds are like. Can anyone tell me what they're like? I couldn't
see the end of the line, so forget me waiting.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2013 3:34 PM, bigwheel wrote:

> 'Nancy Young Wrote:

>> If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
>> bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

> Carb loading huh? How was the funnel cake?

You must be a hoot at the state fair.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2013 12:40 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Sounds like fun. Where is this taking place?

>> This is that same asshole that just started trolling alt.food.barbecue
>> under another name.

> Looks to be our 'ol friend from Kitchener, Ontario - Moose in Love,
> ParkStreetBoogerloo, and Public Library.

Ah! Or, is the eh?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-05-25, Nancy Young > wrote:

> If I go back tomorrow, I'm getting some chocolate covered
> bacon and some empanadas. Maybe a lobster roll.

Before Silicon Valley became a ghost town, the SFBA was swamped with
food trucks, those big ol' motorhome sized muthers. They were either
Mexican or Viet and all carried variations of the same items, despite
the preference for one style or other of cuisine. All pretty boring,
really. The only thing I came away with was a lifelong addiction to
fried spring rolls. Strangely, I never saw one that offered banh-mis.

I've seen short vids on these trucks parking in one spot and selling
really exotic fare, like a Laotion or Thai food, etc. Might have been
on a Tony Bourdains ep. I forget. I think it was in LA. I'm so dang
rural, here, I haven't seen a single food truck in 5 yrs, which in not
remarkable, as we have zero industry. Maybe a lone food cart in town
during the height of the tourist season. Our county fair is so small,
we only had 3 food wagons. Two sucked.

nb