Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help: Cacio e pepe

I haven't made this for a while, and last night more cheese stuck to
the bottom of the pot than to the pasta. Any tips for what is
basically mac and cheese?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2013 06:22:02 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>I haven't made this for a while, and last night more cheese stuck to
>the bottom of the pot than to the pasta. Any tips for what is
>basically mac and cheese?

What a shame. Not enough pasta water?

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2013 06:22:02 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> I haven't made this for a while, and last night more cheese stuck to
> the bottom of the pot than to the pasta. Any tips for what is
> basically mac and cheese?

This is the first time I've heard of Cacio e pepe and when I've ever
done anything similar, I do it off the heat and just let the heat of
the pasta melt the cheese and only added water if it got too gloppy.
Since you had a name, I looked up a recipe which I see calls for
butter (something I have never added). Maybe that's what you need if
you're doing it over heat.
<http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cacio-e-Pepe-365162>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2013 07:56:21 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 12 May 2013 06:22:02 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:
>
>> I haven't made this for a while, and last night more cheese stuck to
>> the bottom of the pot than to the pasta. Any tips for what is
>> basically mac and cheese?

>This is the first time I've heard of Cacio e pepe and when I've ever
>done anything similar, I do it off the heat and just let the heat of
>the pasta melt the cheese and only added water if it got too gloppy.
>Since you had a name, I looked up a recipe which I see calls for
>butter (something I have never added). Maybe that's what you need if
>you're doing it over heat.
>http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cacio-e-Pepe-365162>

When Squeaks and I made it, the recipe didn't call for butter
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...a_cacio_e_pepe

Here's what we did. You'll have to filter through some of our boring
escapades before the pasta shows up ;-)
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...h-squeaks.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/cdq78l8

I think one of the problems might be that you made it in the pot, you
should drain the pasta and use a large serving bowl. Put the pasta in
the bowl and add the other ingredients in on top of it and toss, toss.
Also, maybe not enough pasta water was used.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2013 5:24 PM, wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2013 07:56:21 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 May 2013 06:22:02 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't made this for a while, and last night more cheese stuck to
>>> the bottom of the pot than to the pasta. Any tips for what is
>>> basically mac and cheese?

>> This is the first time I've heard of Cacio e pepe and when I've ever
>> done anything similar, I do it off the heat and just let the heat of
>> the pasta melt the cheese and only added water if it got too gloppy.
>> Since you had a name, I looked up a recipe which I see calls for
>> butter (something I have never added). Maybe that's what you need if
>> you're doing it over heat.
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cacio-e-Pepe-365162>

> When Squeaks and I made it, the recipe didn't call for butter

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...a_cacio_e_pepe

> Here's what we did. You'll have to filter through some of our boring
> escapades before the pasta shows up ;-)
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...h-squeaks.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/cdq78l8
>

> I think one of the problems might be that you made it in the pot, you
> should drain the pasta and use a large serving bowl. Put the pasta in
> the bowl and add the other ingredients in on top of it and toss, toss.
> Also, maybe not enough pasta water was used.

Basically "cacio e pepe" is long pasta (like spaghetti) with butter,
hard cheese and lots of fresh pepper; no milk or eggs or short pasta
like mac and cheese (not knocking the latter.)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> I haven't made this for a while, and last night more cheese stuck to
> the bottom of the pot than to the pasta. Any tips for what is
> basically mac and cheese?

Don't add the cheese and toss over heat.

Isaac