Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Cacio e Pepe

Just made this dish, which was featured in the May, 2011 "Bon
Appetit," and it was fantastic. Absolutely brilliant and dead easy! If
you love strong cheese and pasta, this is your baby:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Cacio e Pepe

misc. side dishes, pasta

kosher salt
17 ounces pasta; (egg tagliolini, bucatini
9 tablespoons unsalted butter; cubed, divided
3 teaspoons black pepper; freshly ground
2 1/4 cup Grana Padano or Parmesan
1 cup pecorino; finely grated

Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season with salt; add
pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before
tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over
medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling pan, until toasted, about 1
minute.

Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add
pasta and remaining butter. Reduce heat to low and add Grana Padano,
stirring and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat;
add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the
pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems
dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.

Notes: Bon Appetit

Yield: 6 Servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 2:46*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Just made this dish, which was featured in the May, 2011 "Bon
> Appetit," and it was fantastic. Absolutely brilliant and dead easy! If
> you love strong cheese and pasta, this is your baby:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Cacio e Pepe
>
> misc. side dishes, pasta
>
> * kosher salt
> 17 ounces pasta; (egg tagliolini, bucatini
> 9 tablespoons unsalted butter; cubed, divided
> 3 teaspoons black pepper; freshly ground
> 2 1/4 cup Grana Padano or Parmesan
> 1 cup pecorino; finely grated
>
> Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season with salt; add
> pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before
> tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.
>
> Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over
> medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling pan, until toasted, about 1
> minute.
>
> Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add
> pasta and remaining butter. Reduce heat to low and add Grana Padano,
> stirring and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat;
> add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the
> pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems
> dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.
>
> Notes: *Bon Appetit

I watched a local couple order and eat this in Rome, in Trastevere.
The waiter brought them unadorned noodles, a bowl of grated cheese,
and a pepper mill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> I watched a local couple order and eat this in Rome, in Trastevere.
> The waiter brought them unadorned noodles, a bowl of grated cheese,
> and a pepper mill.

ROTFL
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cacio e Pepe

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message

> Just made this dish, which was featured in the May, 2011 "Bon
> Appetit," and it was fantastic. Absolutely brilliant and dead easy! If
> you love strong cheese and pasta, this is your baby:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Cacio e Pepe
>
> misc. side dishes, pasta
>
> kosher salt
> 17 ounces pasta; (egg tagliolini, bucatini
> 9 tablespoons unsalted butter; cubed, divided
> 3 teaspoons black pepper; freshly ground
> 2 1/4 cup Grana Padano or Parmesan
> 1 cup pecorino; finely grated
>
> Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season with salt; add
> pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before
> tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.
>
> Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over
> medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling pan, until toasted, about 1
> minute.
>
> Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add
> pasta and remaining butter. Reduce heat to low and add Grana Padano,
> stirring and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat;
> add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the
> pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems
> dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.

Terry, you might enjoy the column on cacio e pepe by Rowley Leigh in a
recent Financial Times weekend section. He uses only spaghetti, peppercorns
and pecorino Romano. I've clipped his to try, and now I'll have to try
yours, too (I do like the idea of toasting the pepper in butter). It's a
tough life .

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a6443bc-4...#axzz1LIy22y7P
or
http://tinyurl.com/3qxltcv

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> Just made this dish, which was featured in the May, 2011 "Bon
> Appetit," and it was fantastic. Absolutely brilliant and dead easy! If
> you love strong cheese and pasta, this is your baby:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Cacio e Pepe
>
> misc. side dishes, pasta
>
> kosher salt
> 17 ounces pasta; (egg tagliolini, bucatini
> 9 tablespoons unsalted butter; cubed, divided
> 3 teaspoons black pepper; freshly ground
> 2 1/4 cup Grana Padano or Parmesan
> 1 cup pecorino; finely grated
>
> Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season with salt; add
> pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before
> tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.
>
> Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over
> medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling pan, until toasted, about 1
> minute.
>
> Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add
> pasta and remaining butter. Reduce heat to low and add Grana Padano,
> stirring and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat;
> add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the
> pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems
> dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.
>
> Notes: Bon Appetit
>
> Yield: 6 Servings
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Hmmm

Pasta, Pasta water, Butter, cheese, pepper, Alfredo anyone?

Dimitri

Tonight steamed stuffed artichokes.

dc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 12:00:24 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

> Terry, you might enjoy the column on cacio e pepe by Rowley Leigh in a
> recent Financial Times weekend section. He uses only spaghetti, peppercorns
> and pecorino Romano. I've clipped his to try, and now I'll have to try
> yours, too (I do like the idea of toasting the pepper in butter). It's a
> tough life .

I didn't know noodles, butter and cheese (and some pepper) had a name.
To think I've been making this for years and didn't know I was making
"something" all this time!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 10:01:13 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> Pasta, Pasta water, Butter, cheese, pepper, Alfredo anyone?

Apparently, it's Cacio e Pepe not Alfredo.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 10:01*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in messagenews:3d9ur657j4v7dvhs6g4mfiv0eklsl8vhe6@4ax .com...
>

> > Just made this dish, which was featured in the May, 2011 "Bon
> > Appetit," and it was fantastic. Absolutely brilliant and dead easy! If
> > you love strong cheese and pasta, this is your baby:

> > @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

> > Cacio e Pepe

> > misc. side dishes, pasta

> > *kosher salt
> > 17 ounces pasta; (egg tagliolini, bucatini
> > 9 tablespoons unsalted butter; cubed, divided
> > 3 teaspoons black pepper; freshly ground
> > 2 1/4 cup Grana Padano or Parmesan
> > 1 cup pecorino; finely grated

> > Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season with salt; add
> > pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before
> > tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.

> > Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over
> > medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling pan, until toasted, about 1
> > minute.

> > Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add
> > pasta and remaining butter. Reduce heat to low and add Grana Padano,
> > stirring and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat;
> > add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the
> > pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems
> > dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.

> > Notes: *Bon Appetit

> > Yield: 6 Servings

> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> > --

> > To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

> Hmmm
>
> Pasta, Pasta water, Butter, cheese, pepper, Alfredo anyone?
>
> Dimitri
>
> Tonight steamed stuffed artichokes.
>
> dc- Hide quoted text -

I hope your artichokes are better that the ones we had the other
night- they were stringy and tough
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 May 2011 15:44:42 -0700, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On Tue, 3 May 2011 10:01:13 -0700, "Dimitri" >
>wrote:
>
>> Pasta, Pasta water, Butter, cheese, pepper, Alfredo anyone?

>Apparently, it's Cacio e Pepe not Alfredo.

No cream in the Cacio e Pepe, although the finished product *tastes*
like it has cream in it.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I didn't know noodles, butter and cheese (and some pepper) had a name.

In fact it doesn't: "Cacio e pepe" is something more than just noodles
butter and cheese, just as "Alfredo" is something more than just noodles
butter and cheese.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> Hmmm
>
> Pasta, Pasta water, Butter, cheese, pepper, Alfredo anyone?

The two recipes are very similar but Alfredo requires "doppio burro", which
means that butter is added both before and after placing the noodles in the
serving bowl.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> Hmmm
>>
>> Pasta, Pasta water, Butter, cheese, pepper, Alfredo anyone?

> The two recipes are very similar but Alfredo requires "doppio burro",
> which means that butter is added both before and after placing the noodles
> in the serving bowl.

Since when does cacio ever refer to Parmigiano Reggiano?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>>> Pasta, Pasta water, Butter, cheese, pepper, Alfredo anyone?

>> The two recipes are very similar but Alfredo requires "doppio burro",
>> which means that butter is added both before and after placing the
>> noodles in the serving bowl.

> Since when does cacio ever refer to Parmigiano Reggiano?

Since when "fettuccine" refers to "tonnarelli".
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2011 10:57:44 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > I didn't know noodles, butter and cheese (and some pepper) had a name.

> In fact it doesn't: "Cacio e pepe" is something more than just noodles
> butter and cheese, just as "Alfredo" is something more than just noodles
> butter and cheese.

No problem for me. I'll just continue calling it by the components.
I wouldn't know how to pronounce Cacio e Pepe anyway. I'd never heard
of it before and I probably never will again.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> In fact it doesn't: "Cacio e pepe" is something more than just
>> noodles butter and cheese, just as "Alfredo" is something more than
>> just noodles butter and cheese.

> No problem for me. I'll just continue calling it by the components.

Just as me, and when I do something particular I like to call it with it
(posibly) fancy name, like alfredo and cacio e pepe.

> I wouldn't know how to pronounce Cacio e Pepe anyway. I'd never heard
> of it before and I probably never will again.

Who knows? Let's see if this evening I'll find someone on youtube spelling
it clearly for you to listen.
God knows how many times I've asked myself "And how should I spell this
word?" while reading english texts
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2011 15:04:45 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> In fact it doesn't: "Cacio e pepe" is something more than just
> >> noodles butter and cheese, just as "Alfredo" is something more than
> >> just noodles butter and cheese.

> > No problem for me. I'll just continue calling it by the components.

> Just as me, and when I do something particular I like to call it with it
> (posibly) fancy name, like alfredo and cacio e pepe.
>
> > I wouldn't know how to pronounce Cacio e Pepe anyway. I'd never heard
> > of it before and I probably never will again.

> Who knows? Let's see if this evening I'll find someone on youtube spelling
> it clearly for you to listen.
> God knows how many times I've asked myself "And how should I spell this
> word?" while reading english texts

Thanks, Vilco! That's very nice of you.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Who knows? Let's see if this evening I'll find someone on youtube
>> spelling it clearly for you to listen.
>> God knows how many times I've asked myself "And how should I spell
>> this word?" while reading english texts

> Thanks, Vilco! That's very nice of you.

LOL, yesterday I forgot, now I have a note on my cellphone. An hour and it
will be there.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 May 2011 17:40:32 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> Who knows? Let's see if this evening I'll find someone on youtube
> >> spelling it clearly for you to listen.
> >> God knows how many times I've asked myself "And how should I spell
> >> this word?" while reading english texts

> > Thanks, Vilco! That's very nice of you.

> LOL, yesterday I forgot, now I have a note on my cellphone. An hour and it
> will be there.

No problem, thanks again!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 06/05/2011 18:15, sf ha scritto:

>>> Thanks, Vilco! That's very nice of you.

>> LOL, yesterday I forgot, now I have a note on my cellphone. An hour and it
>> will be there.

> No problem, thanks again!

Her it is: at 0:15.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPrk...eature=related
Between he says "oggi cucineremo insieme gli spaghetti cacio e pepe"
(today we'll cook together spaghetti cacio e pepe).
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 06/05/2011 23:05, ViLco ha scritto:

> Between he says "oggi cucineremo insieme gli spaghetti cacio e pepe"

It should have been "between 0:13 and 0:16 She says"
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 2:05*pm, ViLco > wrote:
> Il 06/05/2011 18:15, sf ha scritto:

> >> LOL, yesterday I forgot, now I have a note on my cellphone. An hour and it
> >> will be there.

> > No problem, thanks again!

> Her it is: at 0:15.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPrk...eature=related
> Between he says "oggi cucineremo insieme gli spaghetti cacio e pepe"
> (today we'll cook together spaghetti cacio e pepe).

I wish youtube came with a speed control. Sounds like she swallows the
i and the o, leaving the e as a sort of speed bump before enunciating
both syllables in pepe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" ha scritto nel messaggio

I wish youtube came with a speed control. Sounds like she swallows the
i and the o, leaving the e as a sort of speed bump before enunciating
both syllables in pepe.

The i is there to make the c sound like ch in English, the e is elided. In
the end it should sound like: Kah-cho-eh-PAY-Pay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> I wish youtube came with a speed control. Sounds like she swallows the
>> i and the o, leaving the e as a sort of speed bump before enunciating
>> both syllables in pepe.

> The i is there to make the c sound like ch in English, the e is
> elided. In the end it should sound like: Kah-cho-eh-PAY-Pay.

Egg-sactly!
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 May 2011 09:28:37 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:

> "spamtrap1888" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> I wish youtube came with a speed control. Sounds like she swallows the
> i and the o, leaving the e as a sort of speed bump before enunciating
> both syllables in pepe.
>
> The i is there to make the c sound like ch in English, the e is elided. In
> the end it should sound like: Kah-cho-eh-PAY-Pay.

Thanks, Giusi! I haven't had a good enough connection for youtube
since the link was posted.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 May 2011 12:24:18 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
>
> >> I wish youtube came with a speed control. Sounds like she swallows the
> >> i and the o, leaving the e as a sort of speed bump before enunciating
> >> both syllables in pepe.

> > The i is there to make the c sound like ch in English, the e is
> > elided. In the end it should sound like: Kah-cho-eh-PAY-Pay.

> Egg-sactly!

Thanks for posting the link, Vilco.