Posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

Default Sugar Free Chocolate from Cocoa Powder

I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. I don't
want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour, and I
definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?

I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to lower
cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 9:13*pm, "W" > wrote:
> I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. *I don't
> want any milk due to lactose intolerance. *I don't want any flour, and I
> definitely don't want any sugar. * I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
> alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
> sweeteners. * *Are there any good recipes out there for this?
>
> I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
> of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. * I'm looking to lower
> cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Cocoa is simply unsweetened chocolate with the cocoa butter taken
out. So you basically have to put the cocoa butter back in and add
sweetener. That seems like a lot of trouble to me. I think your best
bet would be to look for recipes for chocolate truffles using the
criteria you've listed.
Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by W View Post
I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. I don't
want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour, and I
definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?

I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to lower
cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 12:13*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Truffles usually have cream though

Some chocolate truffle recipes use cream. There are recipes that
don't. Some are even non-dairy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elementsresto wrote:
> W;1832452 Wrote:
>> I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder.
>> I don't
>> want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour,
>> and I
>> definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol
>> (a sugar
>> alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as
>> the sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?
>>
>> I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above
>> general list
>> of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to
>> lower
>> cost and also learn about chocolate making.
>>
>> --

> Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my
> blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.

At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting the
messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight, plain,
old sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It might not
be good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be avoided completely by
most healthy people - and if you're overweight, you're not healthy by
definition.

Sorry but I had to ask.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> elementsresto wrote:
>> W;1832452 Wrote:
>>> I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder.
>>> I don't
>>> want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour,
>>> and I
>>> definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol
>>> (a sugar
>>> alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as
>>> the sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?
>>>
>>> I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above
>>> general list
>>> of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to
>>> lower
>>> cost and also learn about chocolate making.
>>>
>>> --

>> Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my
>> blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.

> At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting the
> messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight, plain, old
> sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It might not be
> good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be avoided completely by most
> healthy people - and if you're overweight, you're not healthy by
> definition.
>
> Sorry but I had to ask.
>
> -S-

If his numbers are high he should be cutting down on carbs no matter how
much he weighs.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> elementsresto wrote:

>>> Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my
>>> blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.

>> At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting
>> the messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight,
>> plain, old sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It
>> might not be good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be
>> avoided completely by most healthy people - and if you're
>> overweight, you're not healthy by definition.
>>
>> Sorry but I had to ask.
>>
>> -S-

> If his numbers are high he should be cutting down on carbs no matter
> how much he weighs.
>
> Cheri

If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should

Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and

Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
symptoms.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 5, 6:13*pm, "W" > wrote:
> I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. *I don't
> want any milk due to lactose intolerance. *I don't want any flour, and I
> definitely don't want any sugar. * I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
> alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
> sweeteners. * *Are there any good recipes out there for this?
>
> I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
> of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. * I'm looking to lower
> cost and also learn about chocolate making.

I came across this the other day. I plan on making them. This
might be right up your alley.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/how...il-chocolates/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> elementsresto wrote:
>> W;1832452 Wrote:
>>> I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder.
>>> I don't
>>> want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour,
>>> and I
>>> definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol
>>> (a sugar
>>> alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as
>>> the sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?
>>>
>>> I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above
>>> general list
>>> of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to
>>> lower
>>> cost and also learn about chocolate making.
>>>
>>> --

>> Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my
>> blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.

> At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting the
> messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight, plain, old
> sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It might not be
> good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be avoided completely by most
> healthy people - and if you're overweight, you're not healthy by
> definition.
>
> Sorry but I had to ask.
>
> -S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> elementsresto wrote:
>> W;1832452 Wrote:
>>> I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder.
>>> I don't
>>> want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour,
>>> and I
>>> definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol
>>> (a sugar
>>> alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as
>>> the sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?
>>>
>>> I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above
>>> general list
>>> of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to
>>> lower
>>> cost and also learn about chocolate making.
>>>
>>> --

>> Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my
>> blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.

> At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting
> the messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight,
> plain, old sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It
> might not be good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be avoided
> completely by most healthy people - and if you're overweight, you're
> not healthy by definition.
>
> Sorry but I had to ask.
>
> -S-

The person said that they have high blood sugar. So sugar will affect them
as will all carbs. Overweight or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:

>>> At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting
>>> the messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight,
>>> plain, old sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It
>>> might not be good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be
>>> avoided completely by most healthy people - and if you're
>>> overweight, you're not healthy by definition.
>>>
>>> Sorry but I had to ask.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> If his numbers are high he should be cutting down on carbs no matter
>> how much he weighs.
>>
>> Cheri

> If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should
>
> Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and
>
> Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
> symptoms.
>
> -S-

Who said anything about being overweight, except you? He should control
carbs now if numbers are high.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> The person said that they have high blood sugar. So sugar will affect
> them as will all carbs. Overweight or not.

Very true.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> If his numbers are high he should be cutting down on carbs no matter
>>> how much he weighs.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should
>>
>> Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and
>>
>> Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
>> symptoms.
>>
>> -S-

> Who said anything about being overweight, except you? He should
> control carbs now if numbers are high.
>
> Cheri

I asked, and qualified it with "at the risk of opening Pandora's box"
but blood sugar problems, often symptoms of larger health issues, are
best dealt with in the context of those larger health issues. And I
didn't "say" this person is overweight, I asked if that was the case.

If you look around on the Internet, you'll find statements like this:

"High blood pressure, high cholesterol levels or high blood sugar levels
are all warning signs of some obesity-associated diseases."

Given that fact, I felt it prudent to raise the issue in the interest of
this person's health.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Cheri wrote:

>>> At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting
>>> the messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight,
>>> plain, old sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It
>>> might not be good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be
>>> avoided completely by most healthy people - and if you're
>>> overweight, you're not healthy by definition.
>>>
>>> Sorry but I had to ask.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> If his numbers are high he should be cutting down on carbs no matter
>> how much he weighs.
>>
>> Cheri

> If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should
>
> Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and
>
> Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
> symptoms.
>
> -S-

Losing weight doesn't lower blood sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Cheri wrote:

>>> If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should
>>>
>>> Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and
>>>
>>> Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
>>> symptoms.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> Who said anything about being overweight, except you? He should
>> control carbs now if numbers are high.
>>
>> Cheri

> I asked, and qualified it with "at the risk of opening Pandora's box"
> but blood sugar problems, often symptoms of larger health issues, are
> best dealt with in the context of those larger health issues. And I
> didn't "say" this person is overweight, I asked if that was the case.
>
> If you look around on the Internet, you'll find statements like this:
>
> "High blood pressure, high cholesterol levels or high blood sugar
> levels are all warning signs of some obesity-associated diseases."

That doesn't mean that it is true. There is the school of thought that with
type 2 diabetes, the overweight part is caused by the diabetes. If a person
is grossly obese, they may be able to make their diabetes better by getting
down to a more normal weight. But simply being overweight or even obese
doesn't raise blood sugar. The same goes for cholesterol and BP. I know
normal weight and thin people with high cholesterol and high BP.

> Given that fact, I felt it prudent to raise the issue in the interest
> of this person's health.

You might be in the minority there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 5, 6:13*pm, "W" > wrote:
> I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. *I don't
> want any milk due to lactose intolerance. *I don't want any flour, and I
> definitely don't want any sugar. * I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
> alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
> sweeteners. * *Are there any good recipes out there for this?
>
> I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
> of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. * I'm looking to lower
> cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Here is another one for mint chocolate fudge. You can substitute
your sweetener for the honey.

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/in...t-fridge-fudge
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> You might be in the minority there.

Quite, but I am not troubled by that.

I know there are some people who are overweight because they're
diabetic, and some people who are diabetic because they're overweight.
If someone would like to Google this one and post some statistics, I'm
all ears.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> You might be in the minority there.

> Quite, but I am not troubled by that.
>
> I know there are some people who are overweight because they're diabetic,
> and some people who are diabetic because they're overweight. If someone
> would like to Google this one and post some statistics, I'm all ears.
>
> -S-

And some people who are type 2 diabetics and not overweight...and never were
overweight.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> You might be in the minority there.

>> Quite, but I am not troubled by that.
>>
>> I know there are some people who are overweight because they're
>> diabetic, and some people who are diabetic because they're
>> overweight. If someone would like to Google this one and post some
>> statistics, I'm all ears. -S-

> And some people who are type 2 diabetics and not overweight...and
> never were overweight.
>
> Cheri

Yes, which is why I asked the question I asked, to ascertain if this
person was overweight or not, a question I still don't have an answer
for.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:

>>> Quite, but I am not troubled by that.
>>>
>>> I know there are some people who are overweight because they're
>>> diabetic, and some people who are diabetic because they're
>>> overweight. If someone would like to Google this one and post some
>>> statistics, I'm all ears. -S-

>> And some people who are type 2 diabetics and not overweight...and
>> never were overweight.
>>
>> Cheri

> Yes, which is why I asked the question I asked, to ascertain if this
> person was overweight or not, a question I still don't have an answer for.
>
> -S-

Maybe it was a skinny troll. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Mon, 6 May 2013, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:

>>> If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should
>>>
>>> Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and
>>>
>>> Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
>>> symptoms.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> Losing weight doesn't lower blood sugar.

> Not always, but it can.
> There are people who have reversed their diabetes by getting down to a
> more normal weight.

No, they didn't reverse it, they got it under control.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:22:47 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> No, they didn't reverse it, they got it under control.

What is the true meaning of "under control"? BG down to normal?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Mon, 6 May 2013, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:

>>> If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should
>>>
>>> Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and
>>>
>>> Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
>>> symptoms.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> Losing weight doesn't lower blood sugar.

> Not always, but it can.
> There are people who have reversed their diabetes by getting down to a
> more normal weight.

But most of those are extremely obese to begin with and they are by far not
the norm. There are plenty of diabetics on the diabetes newsgroup who are
thin to normal weight and they still have diabetes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:22:47 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> No, they didn't reverse it, they got it under control.

> What is the true meaning of "under control"? BG down to normal?

Yes. My SIL had prediabetes. I won't say what she weighed but... She lost
over half of her body weight. She had normal numbers all day except for
after breakfast. She had a hard time finding a breakfast she could eat that
would work for her. But she finally did.

She lost the weight and her numbers were then always normal. But... She
also had not gone into full blown diabetes. She still has to watch what she
eats. She has gained some weight back. But just some.

I do not believe for an instant that anyone can reverse diabetes despite the
frequent claims. I say that because those people always have to watch what
they eat. If they don't, they could see high numbers again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> You might be in the minority there.

> Quite, but I am not troubled by that.
>
> I know there are some people who are overweight because they're diabetic,
> and some people who are diabetic because they're overweight. If someone
> would like to Google this one and post some statistics, I'm all ears.

I won't bother. All you'll find is conflicting things. I think it is one
of those things we don't know for sure. What I do know is that I have that
very expensive book that Joslin puts out every so often. It's for Drs. In
it, it says there are over 300 variants to diabetes and yet we are lumped
into type 1 or type 2, for the most part.

I also know that when I was growing up, I was very underweight even though I
ate like a pig and had chronic low blood sugar. There is now the school of
thought that reactive hypoglycemia (which is likely what I had) is a
precursor to diabetes.

I had high BP at around age 25. I was then overweight but certainly not
obese. I did lose some weight and kept it off. BP didn't come down.
Eventually I put some weight back on. Continued to have the low blood
sugar. Then one day? I skipped a meal and didn't get sick. I thought that
was a good thing. Nope. Most likely I went the other way and into
diabetes.

And now? My weight is on the cusp of overweight to obese depending on the
day. My weight can vary by as much as 10 pounds. Partly due to fluid
retention (that seems to have no cause) and partly due to gastroparesis.

I have used the Chronometer. I am not overeating. If anything on most days
I am undereating but I have no choice in the matter. Because of the
gastroparesis, my stomach will only hold so much. If I try to eat more than
that, I will suffer the consequences. My CDE thinks that because I can not
eat enough calories, it is causing my body to go into starvation mode and
the weight hangs on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:22:47 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> No, they didn't reverse it, they got it under control.

> What is the true meaning of "under control"? BG down to normal?

It really varies from person to person, to me it's decent numbers, no
complications, and no meds. I have been on meds in the early years, and
insulin for a short time, but not now. However, if I sat down for a day or
so and ate a lot of carbs, my numbers would shoot high, so under control is
not reversing diabetes.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I do not believe for an instant that anyone can reverse diabetes despite
> the frequent claims. I say that because those people always have to watch
> what they eat. If they don't, they could see high numbers again.

That's what I'm talking about. Under control is different than reversing.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I do not believe for an instant that anyone can reverse diabetes despite
>> the frequent claims. I say that because those people always have to
>> watch what they eat. If they don't, they could see high numbers again.

> That's what I'm talking about. Under control is different than reversing.

Yep.

Senior Member

Thanks for the information friend..i never heard about this!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:51:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:22:47 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> No, they didn't reverse it, they got it under control.

> > What is the true meaning of "under control"? BG down to normal?

> Yes. My SIL had prediabetes. I won't say what she weighed but... She lost
> over half of her body weight. She had normal numbers all day except for
> after breakfast. She had a hard time finding a breakfast she could eat that
> would work for her. But she finally did.
>
> She lost the weight and her numbers were then always normal. But... She
> also had not gone into full blown diabetes. She still has to watch what she
> eats. She has gained some weight back. But just some.
>
> I do not believe for an instant that anyone can reverse diabetes despite the
> frequent claims. I say that because those people always have to watch what
> they eat. If they don't, they could see high numbers again.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 22:33:22 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:22:47 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> No, they didn't reverse it, they got it under control.

> > What is the true meaning of "under control"? BG down to normal?

> It really varies from person to person, to me it's decent numbers, no
> complications, and no meds. I have been on meds in the early years, and
> insulin for a short time, but not now. However, if I sat down for a day or
> so and ate a lot of carbs, my numbers would shoot high, so under control is
> not reversing diabetes.

Okay, I understand now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:48:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> There are plenty of diabetics on the diabetes newsgroup who are
> thin to normal weight and they still have diabetes.

That's my husband. Not insulin dependent yet and not taking pills but
the BG is up there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:48:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> There are plenty of diabetics on the diabetes newsgroup who are
>> thin to normal weight and they still have diabetes.
>>

> That's my husband. Not insulin dependent yet and not taking pills but
> the BG is up there.

How high is "up there"? If it is too high then he needs to change his diet
and/or take pills or maybe insulin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 May 2013 00:04:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:48:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> There are plenty of diabetics on the diabetes newsgroup who are
> >> thin to normal weight and they still have diabetes.
> >>

> > That's my husband. Not insulin dependent yet and not taking pills but
> > the BG is up there.

> How high is "up there"? If it is too high then he needs to change his diet
> and/or take pills or maybe insulin.

He's going lower carb, but it makes cooking hard because he's also
limiting fats. He should take pills or something, but he won't and
it's not a subject that's up for discussion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 May 2013 00:04:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 6 May 2013 21:48:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > That's my husband. Not insulin dependent yet and not taking pills but
>> > the BG is up there.

>> How high is "up there"? If it is too high then he needs to change his
>> diet
>> and/or take pills or maybe insulin.
>>

> He's going lower carb, but it makes cooking hard because he's also
> limiting fats. He should take pills or something, but he won't and
> it's not a subject that's up for discussion.

No need to limit fats and...good luck with that! Have something like that
in my own family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 May 2013 10:03:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 7 May 2013 00:04:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> How high is "up there"? If it is too high then he needs to change his
> >> diet
> >> and/or take pills or maybe insulin.
> >>

> > He's going lower carb, but it makes cooking hard because he's also
> > limiting fats. He should take pills or something, but he won't and
> > it's not a subject that's up for discussion.

> No need to limit fats and...good luck with that! Have something like that
> in my own family.

You know how diabetes leads to heart disease? He has stents and the
Dr. told him to limit fats. He has never seen a nutritionist (which
is a free service for us), but I'd like to talk to one because I'm the
one who cooks. As it is, I take what I glean from here about slower
releasing carbs (like brown rice and beans) and use them in my
cooking. If I had to make the same staid thing over and over, he
might as well do the cooking because I get bored if I can't try
something new.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 May 2013 10:03:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 7 May 2013 00:04:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > He's going lower carb, but it makes cooking hard because he's also
>> > limiting fats. He should take pills or something, but he won't and
>> > it's not a subject that's up for discussion.

>> No need to limit fats and...good luck with that! Have something like
>> that
>> in my own family.
>>

> You know how diabetes leads to heart disease? He has stents and the
> Dr. told him to limit fats. He has never seen a nutritionist (which
> is a free service for us), but I'd like to talk to one because I'm the
> one who cooks. As it is, I take what I glean from here about slower
> releasing carbs (like brown rice and beans) and use them in my
> cooking. If I had to make the same staid thing over and over, he
> might as well do the cooking because I get bored if I can't try
> something new.

Diabetes doesn't "lead to" heart disease. He may have heart problems. I
don't. Never have. Many diabetics don't. It might be said that there is a
higher percentage of diabetics with heart problems than the general
population but I don't know that to be true. Nor do I know it not to be
true. My friend's dad had heart problems. No diabetes. Same with my
friend. Same with my grandpa. But I have a friend of a friend who has
both. Started with the heart problems. The diabetes was discovered about
2-3 years later.

I never limit my fat but... The diet that I would naturally choose to eat
has little to no fat in it and that's not healthy. Most of my fat comes
from my supplements and the popcorn that I pop. Also nuts and olives. I
did add margarine into my diet. Would prefer not to but can't have butter
and although some people like coconut oil on toast, I didn't care for it. I
do eat French fries once every week or two. When I do them at home they are
oven baked. The only worry about the fat in my diet is that I sometimes
don't eat enough of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 May 2013 19:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Diabetes doesn't "lead to" heart disease. He may have heart problems. I
> don't. Never have. Many diabetics don't.

Maybe, but maybe you're like governor Christie and an obese person I
know who say they are in perfect health... it doesn't mean it won't
happen. Christie got lap band surgery for his "health"... if he was
still healthy every other way in reality, he wouldn't have done it.
Men are like that.

> It might be said that there is a
> higher percentage of diabetics with heart problems than the general
> population but I don't know that to be true.

I don't know either, that's what I read recently and I have no reason
to disbelieve it because doctors always tell people to lose weight
even if they are healthy otherwise. Why? Because excess weight leads
to other problems.

> Nor do I know it not to be
> true. My friend's dad had heart problems. No diabetes. Same with my
> friend. Same with my grandpa.

Yes, people can have heart disease and not be overweight. I didn't
say that was the ONLY way people get heart disease. People who have
never been overweight in their lives can have high cholesterol too...
and they won't have heart disease (yet).

> But I have a friend of a friend who has
> both. Started with the heart problems. The diabetes was discovered about
> 2-3 years later.

Hubby was "pre" diabetic for decades, had the stents while he was
still being told he was pre-diabetic. So much for that.

> I never limit my fat but...

You haven't had heart problems yet. Get back to me after they put
stents in your heart.