Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

Default Sugar Free Chocolate from Cocoa Powder

I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. I don't
want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour, and I
definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?

I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to lower
cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 9:13*pm, "W" wrote:
I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. *I don't
want any milk due to lactose intolerance. *I don't want any flour, and I
definitely don't want any sugar. * I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
sweeteners. * *Are there any good recipes out there for this?

I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. * I'm looking to lower
cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Cocoa is simply unsweetened chocolate with the cocoa butter taken
out. So you basically have to put the cocoa butter back in and add
sweetener. That seems like a lot of trouble to me. I think your best
bet would be to look for recipes for chocolate truffles using the
criteria you've listed.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 AM
Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by W View Post
I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. I don't
want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour, and I
definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?

I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to lower
cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 12:13*am, "Julie Bove" wrote:
Truffles usually have cream though

Some chocolate truffle recipes use cream. There are recipes that
don't. Some are even non-dairy.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

elementsresto wrote:
W;1832452 Wrote:
I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder.
I don't
want any milk due to lactose intolerance. I don't want any flour,
and I
definitely don't want any sugar. I will use Stevia and Erythritol
(a sugar
alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as
the sweeteners. Are there any good recipes out there for this?

I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above
general list
of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. I'm looking to
lower
cost and also learn about chocolate making.

Got a good idea here. I'm also cutting off my sugar intake since my
blood sugar level is getting high and it's alarming.

At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I must ask if you're shooting the
messenger here - are you overweight? If you're not overweight, plain,
old sugar, candy, etc., every now and then won't hurt you. It might not
be good for you, but in moderation, it needn't be avoided completely by
most healthy people - and if you're overweight, you're not healthy by
definition.

Sorry but I had to ask.

-S-

Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
elementsresto wrote:
W;1832452 Wrote:
[...]

If his numbers are high he should be cutting down on carbs no matter how
much he weighs.

Cheri

Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

elementsresto wrote:
W;1832452 Wrote:
[...]

If his numbers are high and he's overweight, he should

Lose weight to solve the long-term problem, and

Cut down on foods that raise his blood sugar to treat the short-term
symptoms.

-S-

Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 5, 6:13*pm, "W" wrote:
I would like to make my own sugar free chocolate from cocoa powder. *I don't
want any milk due to lactose intolerance. *I don't want any flour, and I
definitely don't want any sugar. * I will use Stevia and Erythritol (a sugar
alcohol that metabolizes in a way that is almost zero calories) as the
sweeteners. * *Are there any good recipes out there for this?

I have found some decent chocolates online that match the above general list
of ingredients, but they are extremely expensive. * I'm looking to lower
cost and also learn about chocolate making.

I came across this the other day. I plan on making them. This
might be right up your alley.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/how...il-chocolates/

Old 06-05-2013, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
elementsresto wrote:
W;1832452 Wrote:
[...]

The person said that they have high blood sugar. So sugar will affect them
as will all carbs. Overweight or not.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

elementsresto wrote:
W;1832452 Wrote:
[...]

Who said anything about being overweight, except you? He should control
carbs now if numbers are high.

Cheri

Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

The person said that they have high blood sugar. So sugar will affect
them as will all carbs. Overweight or not.

Very true.

Cheri

Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

elementsresto wrote:
W;1832452 Wrote:
[...]

I asked, and qualified it with "at the risk of opening Pandora's box"
but blood sugar problems, often symptoms of larger health issues, are
best dealt with in the context of those larger health issues. And I
didn't "say" this person is overweight, I asked if that was the case.

If you look around on the Internet, you'll find statements like this:

"High blood pressure, high cholesterol levels or high blood sugar levels
are all warning signs of some obesity-associated diseases."

Given that fact, I felt it prudent to raise the issue in the interest of
this person's health.

-S-