Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baking question

I don't do much baking at all, though I do all the other cooking at home. I just
found what looks to be a very nice, simple recipe for brownies that I'd like to
try. Seems fool proof, But I have two questions. The recipe calls for 1 stick of
butter. Now, would that be salted or unsalted butter? The recipe doesn't
specify. And also 2 eggs. I always have eggs in the house, but I tend to always
buy jumbo eggs. Does the size of the egg matter, or when a recipe calls for
eggs, what size do they generally mean? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 5:05*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 07/04/2013 4:52 PM, wrote:
>
> > I don't do much baking at all, though I do all the other cooking at home. I just
> > found what looks to be a very nice, simple recipe for brownies that I'd like to
> > try. Seems fool proof, But I have two questions. The recipe calls for 1 stick of
> > butter. Now, would that be salted or unsalted butter? The recipe doesn't
> > specify. And also 2 eggs. I always have eggs in the house, but I tend to always
> > buy jumbo eggs. Does the size of the egg matter, or when a recipe calls for
> > eggs, what size do they generally mean? Thanks.

> Large eggs are the standard for baking. You can use salted.
> Either way it is not enough eggs or enough butter for good brownies.

Maybe it's a small pan of brownies. For a large pan of brownies I use
2 sticks of butter and 4 eggs. So the ratio is actually the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I don't do much baking at all, though I do all the other cooking at home. I
>just
> found what looks to be a very nice, simple recipe for brownies that I'd
> like to
> try. Seems fool proof, But I have two questions. The recipe calls for 1
> stick of
> butter. Now, would that be salted or unsalted butter? The recipe doesn't
> specify. And also 2 eggs. I always have eggs in the house, but I tend to
> always
> buy jumbo eggs. Does the size of the egg matter, or when a recipe calls
> for
> eggs, what size do they generally mean? Thanks.

Either/or butter and eggs. Makes no difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2013 6:26 PM, sf wrote:

> I always use whatever I have on hand which is usually extra large eggs
> and salted butter, but I undercook my brownies because I prefer mine
> fudge-like instead of cake-like.

I use the brownie recipe from Joy of Cooking. I discovered that the size
of the baking pan makes a huge difference in the brownies. If use a pan
the size specified in the recipe I get cake-like brownies, I use a
rectangular pan and get a gooier result.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 4:52*pm, wrote:
> I don't do much baking at all, though I do all the other cooking at home. I just
> found what looks to be a very nice, simple recipe for brownies that I'd like to
> try. Seems fool proof, But I have two questions. The recipe calls for 1 stick of
> butter. Now, would that be salted or unsalted butter? The recipe doesn't
> specify. And also 2 eggs. I always have eggs in the house, but I tend to always
> buy jumbo eggs. Does the size of the egg matter, or when a recipe calls for
> eggs, what size do they generally mean? Thanks.

I'd use salt free butter but that's all I buy.
The size of the eggs wouldn't matter to me either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 18:32:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 07/04/2013 6:26 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I always use whatever I have on hand which is usually extra large eggs
>> and salted butter, but I undercook my brownies because I prefer mine
>> fudge-like instead of cake-like.

>I use the brownie recipe from Joy of Cooking. I discovered that the size
>of the baking pan makes a huge difference in the brownies. If use a pan
>the size specified in the recipe I get cake-like brownies, I use a
>rectangular pan and get a gooier result.

On the back of a brownie mix they suggested just that-- 8x8 for
cake-like, 9x9 for a little more chew- or 9x13 for extra chewy. [I
toss in a handful of chocolate chips and a pile of nuts and I like my
results]

Jim
[who has no idea where those brownie mixes in the cupboard used to
come from-- but I'll bet they stop now]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 12:23*am, wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 16:52:27 -0400, wrote:
> >I don't do much baking at all, though I do all the other cooking at home.. I just
> >found what looks to be a very nice, simple recipe for brownies that I'd like to
> >try. Seems fool proof, But I have two questions. The recipe calls for 1 stick of
> >butter. Now, would that be salted or unsalted butter? The recipe doesn't
> >specify. And also 2 eggs. I always have eggs in the house, but I tend to always
> >buy jumbo eggs. Does the size of the egg matter, or when a recipe calls for
> >eggs, what size do they generally mean? Thanks.

> Thanks for all the replies. And here's the actual recipe:
>
> Ingredients:
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
> 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1/4 cup all purpose flour
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
>
> Directions:
> 1. Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour an 8 inch square pan.
>
> 2. Place butter and chocolate in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until chocolate
> melts. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in
> flour and salt. Stir in walnuts, if using.
>
> 3. Scrape into prepared pan and bake about 40 minutes. Let cool and cut into 2
> inch squares. Serves 16.

Only 1/4 cup flour?
Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I don't do much baking at all, though I do all the other cooking at home. I just
found what looks to be a very nice, simple recipe for brownies that I'd like to
try. Seems fool proof, But I have two questions. The recipe calls for 1 stick of
butter. Now, would that be salted or unsalted butter? The recipe doesn't
specify. And also 2 eggs. I always have eggs in the house, but I tend to always
buy jumbo eggs. Does the size of the egg matter, or when a recipe calls for
eggs, what size do they generally mean? Thanks.

For me it doesn't matter. As long as I have all the ingredients. Size doesn't matter just trust your instinct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 23:59:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> Only 1/4 cup flour?

Yes. http://www.joyofbaking.com/katharine...nbrownies.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> I'd use salt free butter but that's all I buy.

There's no such thing. Milk, and hence butter, contains a small amount of
salt.

You can buy "unsalted" butter, which means the producer doesn't add any salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 12:25*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > I'd use salt free butter but that's all I buy.

> There's no such thing. Milk, and hence butter, contains a small amount of
> salt.
>
> You can buy "unsalted" butter, which means the producer doesn't add any salt.

Waaaal.......YOU know what I meant. Give the elderly some slack. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 12:37 AM, sf wrote:

> Sounds like it will be fudgy, so be sure to let it sit overnight
> before you cut it (I put mine in the refrigerator). Not sure what
> you're aiming for, so take a look at this recipe for comparison
> purposes.
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Does this make a fudgy brownie? I got kind of thrown when it said 11/4
cups cocoa, sifted and then realized it was missing a space between the
1's.

I think I'll try this one. I have some powdered cocoa that I'd like to use.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2013 6:37 PM, sf wrote:

> Sounds like it will be fudgy, so be sure to let it sit overnight
> before you cut it (I put mine in the refrigerator). Not sure what
> you're aiming for, so take a look at this recipe for comparison
> purposes.
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

That's an intriguing recipe. I find Alton Brown's stuff to be on the
eccentric side but I'd try this - minus the sifting of the sugar and
I'll just cream the butter and sugars and then add the eggs.

I got a hand blender from Costco that came with a bunch of attachments
for $18. What a steal! The whisk attachment works great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Thanks for all the replies. And here's the actual recipe:
>>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>> 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
>>> 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
>>> 1 cup sugar
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>> 1/4 cup all purpose flour
>>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>>> 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
>>>
>>> Directions:
>>> 1. Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour an 8 inch square pan.
>>>
>>> 2. Place butter and chocolate in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until chocolate
>>> melts. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in
>>> flour and salt. Stir in walnuts, if using.
>>>
>>> 3. Scrape into prepared pan and bake about 40 minutes. Let cool and cut into 2
>>> inch squares. Serves 16.

>>Sounds like it will be fudgy, so be sure to let it sit overnight
>>before you cut it (I put mine in the refrigerator). Not sure what
>>you're aiming for, so take a look at this recipe for comparison
>>purposes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

>I just checked that recipe and put it in my cookbook file. But 1 cup of sugar
>sifted? Why sifted, or do they mean confectioners sugar, which they don't
>specify. Thanks.

If you watch the video, he simply says that he likes to sift all the
dry ingredients together. From my own experience, sifting the cocoa
powder with the sugar makes sure that the cocoa powder blends easily.
Cocoa powder by itself can be a bear to mix in.. Sifting the brown
sugar would eliminate any tiny lumps.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 11:26 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> If you watch the video, he simply says that he likes to sift all the
> dry ingredients together. From my own experience, sifting the cocoa
> powder with the sugar makes sure that the cocoa powder blends easily.
> Cocoa powder by itself can be a bear to mix in.. Sifting the brown
> sugar would eliminate any tiny lumps.

I didn't watch the video. That's a great tip.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/04/2013 11:26 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> If you watch the video, he simply says that he likes to sift all the
> dry ingredients together. From my own experience, sifting the cocoa
> powder with the sugar makes sure that the cocoa powder blends easily.
> Cocoa powder by itself can be a bear to mix in.. Sifting the brown
> sugar would eliminate any tiny lumps.
> Janet US

I don't usually think of brown sugar as a dry ingredient. It usually
gets creamed with the butter or shortening and eggs in a recipe. Cocoa
powder usually needs to be sifted because it tends to be lumpy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:26:50 -0600, Janet Bostwick

wrote:

>>>Sounds like it will be fudgy, so be sure to let it sit overnight
>>>before you cut it (I put mine in the refrigerator). Not sure what
>>>you're aiming for, so take a look at this recipe for comparison
>>>purposes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

>>I just checked that recipe and put it in my cookbook file. But 1 cup of sugar
>>sifted? Why sifted, or do they mean confectioners sugar, which they don't
>>specify. Thanks.

>If you watch the video, he simply says that he likes to sift all the
>dry ingredients together. From my own experience, sifting the cocoa
>powder with the sugar makes sure that the cocoa powder blends easily.
>Cocoa powder by itself can be a bear to mix in.. Sifting the brown
>sugar would eliminate any tiny lumps.
>Janet US

I like the inconsistancy and tiny lumps, that's what differenciates
home baking from commercial. I don't see the point in making brownies
from scratch so they are exactly like from a box mix.