Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default baking question

how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
treasure chest cake.
suggestions welcome
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:

> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> treasure chest cake.
> suggestions welcome

It is going to take longer. The heat goes from the outside in,
which is why the inside of the middle of the cake is the place
most likely not to be cooked. You are going to have to add time.
It may be a good idea to check a loaf recipe and use that time as
a guide. Make sure to check for doneness. Good luck getting a
thick cake to cook in the middle without drying out the outer
edges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> treasure chest cake.
> suggestions welcome
> lee

I suggest that you go ask this question on the message board at
www.sugarcraft1.com

Lots full of professional cake bakers who are very helpful. Many of them
will have done such cakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> treasure chest cake.
> suggestions welcome
> lee
>
> --
> Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
> there be
> one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of
> blindfolded
> fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It will take longer- do the toothpick test to check for doneness

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> treasure chest cake.
> suggestions welcome
> lee

Delurking to say...

Wouldn't the cake be better as a layer cake ? If you had more than one
loaf pan, just divide the batter. The baking time would be probably
less than an 8in or 9in pan...and you get the bonus filling (or
pirate's gold for that matter....I can't think of a golden filling
right now, but I am sure someone will have a suggestion).

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> treasure chest cake.
> suggestions welcome
> lee

If you bake it in a loaf pan it's going to take longer to bake because
you're going to have a much thicker cake. A banana bread recipe I have
is baked in loaf pan for at least 45 minutes. If you baked your cake
for that long the outer part may get too overdone before the center is
cooked. You could either cover the cake with a sheet of aluminum foil
after the top crust has formed to keep the cake from getting too done
on the outside or you could try lowering the oven temperature about 25
degrees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...

The conversion chart you want is printed on every box cake package...
naturally it's only a guide as are all such charts, to be used as a
starting point, as are all baking times on all recipes.... next time
clip the chart and tape it to the inside cupboard door nearest your
oven.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> enigma wrote:
> > how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> > of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> > a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> > i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> > to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> > treasure chest cake.
> > suggestions welcome
> > lee

> If you bake it in a loaf pan it's going to take longer to bake because
> you're going to have a much thicker cake. A banana bread recipe I have
> is baked in loaf pan for at least 45 minutes. If you baked your cake
> for that long the outer part may get too overdone before the center is

This is definately what would happen. Heck, you can overcook the edges
of a 'normal sized' cake when you think you are cooking it right, just
by variences in oven temps or if your oven is cooking 'hot'

> cooked. You could either cover the cake with a sheet of aluminum foil
> after the top crust has formed to keep the cake from getting too done
> on the outside or you could try lowering the oven temperature about 25
> degrees.

I wouldn't sugest doing this either. The cake will taste aweful. Your
best bet would be to do a large sheet cake & cut it a couple times to
the size that you want and make layers. Just be sure to straighten the
bump on the top before layering. A filling is good, even if it's just
frosting. I can't stand when a cake doesn't have enough frosting & you
would never have enough if you made a 'loaf' cake without layers.

You know, I have done a lot of cute theme cakes for my boys birthday
parties. This is what I would do. If you left the sheet cake 'bump' on
at first, you would have a nice rounded 'lid' for the treasure chest.
Cut the sheet cake in 3 pieces, use the center piece for the lid, (you
might want to slice it in half to make it thinner and sculpt the top a
little) and the two side pieces for the chest layers (cut them straight
before layering & use the extra piece you cut off the 'lid' for the top
layer). On the top layer of the chest you could cut out a hole & put
some (candy) jewels & dabloons (those chocolate gold covered coins) in
& let them hang out of the front. On the lid i'd suggest supporting it
with aluminum covered cardboard or something so it will not bend if you
use it as a "lid". (be sure to use frosting to secure it to the
cardboard nicely) And also be sure to freeze the cake before cutting.
I'd even be inclined to buy those candy necklaces and paint them an
edible gold color, but that's just me. :-)

Ohh, and here is the Nemo cake I made for my boy when he was 3 :-)
http://www.dennylane.com/nemocake.html

Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in
ps.com:

> enigma wrote:
>> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the
>> type of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate
>> cake in a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet
>> pan...

> The conversion chart you want is printed on every box cake
> package... naturally it's only a guide as are all such
> charts, to be used as a starting point, as are all baking
> times on all recipes.... next time clip the chart and tape
> it to the inside cupboard door nearest your oven.

um, Sheldon, i have never bought or made a boxed cake. i have
a cookbook & i know how to use it... unfortunately, it doesn't
mention baking a cake in a loaf pan.
i think i'll go with ~denise's suggestion to just use the
sheet pan & cut & assemble. i'll mess around with baking in
the loaf pan when i'm not serving a horde of children & thier
parents.
i invited 35 kids (& parents). i have 16 confirmed RSVPs & 13
RSVPs as not coming... should i expect the people who are too
lazy to RSVP to show up?
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of
blindfolded
fear. - Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:

> And also be sure to freeze the cake before cutting.

ohh, and in case you don't know, let the cake thaw completely before
frosting, otherwise you will have a complete mess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
> wrote:
> > enigma wrote:
> > > how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> > > of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> > > a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> > > i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> > > to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> > > treasure chest cake.
> > > suggestions welcome
> > > lee

> > If you bake it in a loaf pan it's going to take longer to bake because
> > you're going to have a much thicker cake. A banana bread recipe I have
> > is baked in loaf pan for at least 45 minutes. If you baked your cake
> > for that long the outer part may get too overdone before the center is

> This is definately what would happen. Heck, you can overcook the edges
> of a 'normal sized' cake when you think you are cooking it right, just
> by variences in oven temps or if your oven is cooking 'hot'
>
> > cooked. You could either cover the cake with a sheet of aluminum foil
> > after the top crust has formed to keep the cake from getting too done
> > on the outside or you could try lowering the oven temperature about 25
> > degrees.

> I wouldn't sugest doing this either. The cake will taste aweful.

Huh? How would doing either of those things make a cake taste awful?
If baking a cake in an aluminum pan doesn't make it taste awful then
how can laying a sheet of aluminum foil over a baking cake make it
taste awful? Also, lowering the oven temperature 25 degrees isn't such
a drastic change that it's going to make a cake taste awful. A change
of 50 degrees or more though is a different story, although I wouldn't
exactly call such a thing as awful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > If you bake it in a loaf pan it's going to take longer to bake because
>> > you're going to have a much thicker cake. A banana bread recipe I have
>> > is baked in loaf pan for at least 45 minutes. If you baked your cake
>> > for that long the outer part may get too overdone before the center is

>> This is definately what would happen. Heck, you can overcook the edges
>> of a 'normal sized' cake when you think you are cooking it right, just
>> by variences in oven temps or if your oven is cooking 'hot'
>>
>> > cooked. You could either cover the cake with a sheet of aluminum foil
>> > after the top crust has formed to keep the cake from getting too done
>> > on the outside or you could try lowering the oven temperature about 25
>> > degrees.

>> I wouldn't sugest doing this either. The cake will taste aweful.

>Huh? How would doing either of those things make a cake taste awful?
>If baking a cake in an aluminum pan doesn't make it taste awful then
>how can laying a sheet of aluminum foil over a baking cake make it
>taste awful? Also, lowering the oven temperature 25 degrees isn't such
>a drastic change that it's going to make a cake taste awful. A change
>of 50 degrees or more though is a different story, although I wouldn't
>exactly call such a thing as awful.

if you lower the temp 25 degrees you'll just have to cook it longer
which will dry out the cake, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> This is definately what would happen. Heck, you can overcook the edges
> >> of a 'normal sized' cake when you think you are cooking it right, just
> >> by variences in oven temps or if your oven is cooking 'hot'

> >> I wouldn't sugest doing this either. The cake will taste aweful.

> >Huh? How would doing either of those things make a cake taste awful?
> >If baking a cake in an aluminum pan doesn't make it taste awful then
> >how can laying a sheet of aluminum foil over a baking cake make it
> >taste awful?

Covering a cake with any material during baking will cause it to turn
out a soggy mess... will taste fine if you like the taste of raw and
texture of goop.... personally I don't much care for braised pound
cake.

> Also, lowering the oven temperature 25 degrees isn't such
> >a drastic change that it's going to make a cake taste awful. A change
> >of 50 degrees or more though is a different story, although I wouldn't
> >exactly call such a thing as awful.

> if you lower the temp 25 degrees you'll just have to cook it longer

Not necessarilly.

> which will dry out the cake, right?

No, not necessarilly.

There are other considerations such as type of cake (recipe), and type
of pan.... glass pans typically require baking at lower temps.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Covering a cake with any material during baking will cause it to turn
> out a soggy mess... will taste fine if you like the taste of raw and
> texture of goop.... personally I don't much care for braised pound
> cake.

You don't cover the cake with the foil at the very beginning of the
baking process. You cover it when it's almost done. Also, you just
loosely place the foil over the cake. You don't try to seal the cake up
in the foil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> "PENMART" wrote:
> > enigma wrote:
> >> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the
> >> type of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate
> >> cake in a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet
> >> pan...

> > The conversion chart you want is printed on every box cake
> > package... naturally it's only a guide as are all such
> > charts, to be used as a starting point, as are all baking
> > times on all recipes.... next time clip the chart and tape
> > it to the inside cupboard door nearest your oven.

> um, Sheldon, i have never bought or made a boxed cake.

You lie... everyone in this news group has on several occasions baked
box cake and admits it... you lie.

> i have
> a cookbook & i know how to use it... unfortunately, it doesn't
> mention baking a cake in a loaf pan.

A cook book called "How To Subsist On Tinned Foods" wouldn't...
although I've used a recipe calling for a loaf pan for baking a tinned
salmon loaf.

> i think i'll go with ~denise's suggestion to just use the
> sheet pan & cut & assemble.

Even a monkey can be trained to bake with a loaf pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Also, why would someone
> put aluminum foil over a cake fresh from the oven?

You'd be surprised at what members of the 54% will do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the type
> of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate cake in
> a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet pan...
> i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting & icing
> to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
> treasure chest cake.
> suggestions welcome
> lee

Don't be intimidated, Lee. Start checking the loaf (like loaf of bread,
I assume) at about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10-15 minutes before
inverting onto a rack to finish cooling.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> enigma wrote:
> > >
> > > The conversion chart you want is printed on every box cake
> > > package... naturally it's only a guide as are all such
> > > charts, to be used as a starting point, as are all baking
> > > times on all recipes.... next time clip the chart and tape
> > > it to the inside cupboard door nearest your oven.

> > um, Sheldon, i have never bought or made a boxed cake.

> You lie... everyone in this news group has on several occasions baked
> box cake and admits it... you lie.
>
> > i have
> > a cookbook & i know how to use it... unfortunately, it doesn't
> > mention baking a cake in a loaf pan.

> A cook book called "How To Subsist On Tinned Foods" wouldn't...
> although I've used a recipe calling for a loaf pan for baking a tinned
> salmon loaf.
>
> > i think i'll go with ~denise's suggestion to just use the
> > sheet pan & cut & assemble.

> Even a monkey can be trained to bake with a loaf pan.

Being the family baker, and also a professional baker, I will admit
that I use a box cake about half the time. I can tell the difference,
but most people don't notice. For kids especially, I'm not going to all
that work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > enigma wrote:

> > > um, Sheldon, i have never bought or made a boxed cake.

> > You lie... everyone in this news group has on several occasions baked
> > box cake and admits it... you lie.
> >
> > > i have
> > > a cookbook & i know how to use it... unfortunately, it doesn't
> > > mention baking a cake in a loaf pan.

> > A cook book called "How To Subsist On Tinned Foods" wouldn't...
> > although I've used a recipe calling for a loaf pan for baking a tinned
> > salmon loaf.
> >
> > > i think i'll go with ~denise's suggestion to just use the
> > > sheet pan & cut & assemble.

> > Even a monkey can be trained to bake with a loaf pan.

> Being the family baker, and also a professional baker, I will admit
> that I use a box cake about half the time. I can tell the difference,
> but most people don't notice. For kids especially, I'm not going to all
> that work.

These days many commercial bakeries (large and small) use cake
mix/bread mix almost exclusively, just doesn't come in little boxes,
instead it comes in hundred pound sacks. There's really nothing so
awful about using today's modern box cakes, and after some doctoring
which I almost always do (same as commercial bakeries do) no one, and I
mean no one can tell that the base came from a box. Even your
neighborhood bakery is using "mix", far more consistant, economical,
and much easier to store than doing it the old fashioned way... making
their own mix in the bowl one ingredient at a time.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in
ps.com:

> enigma wrote:
>> >
>> > The conversion chart you want is printed on every box
>> > cake package... naturally it's only a guide as are all
>> > such charts, to be used as a starting point, as are all
>> > baking times on all recipes.... next time clip the chart
>> > and tape it to the inside cupboard door nearest your
>> > oven.

>> um, Sheldon, i have never bought or made a boxed cake.

> You lie... everyone in this news group has on several
> occasions baked box cake and admits it... you lie.

yes, you know me so well.
what a silly thing to accuse me of. cakes are not difficult,
so i haven't seen the need to purchase a box of mix.

>> i have
>> a cookbook & i know how to use it... unfortunately, it
>> doesn't mention baking a cake in a loaf pan.

> A cook book called "How To Subsist On Tinned Foods"
> wouldn't... although I've used a recipe calling for a loaf
> pan for baking a tinned salmon loaf.

ew! i don't eat fish, but that just sounds awful.

>> i think i'll go with ~denise's suggestion to just use the
>> sheet pan & cut & assemble.

> Even a monkey can be trained to bake with a loaf pan.

yeah.... go take your meds, dear.
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of
blindfolded
fear. - Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> enigma > wrote:
>
>> how does one figure out baking times if one changes the
>> type of pan for a cake? i want to bake a regular chocolate
>> cake in a loaf pan instead of 2 round pans or a sheet
>> pan...
>> i *could do it in a sheet pan, but it's less cutting &
>> icing
>> to start with a loaf shape. i'm trying to make a pirate
>> treasure chest cake.
>> suggestions welcome
>> lee

> Don't be intimidated, Lee. Start checking the loaf (like
> loaf of bread, I assume) at about 30 minutes. Cool on a
> rack for 10-15 minutes before inverting onto a rack to
> finish cooling.

ok. i'm making cupcakes too, so if i screw up the 'treasure
chest' we'll still have something
since the weather has decided to warm up some for tomorrow,
i'm going to have the kids make thier own ice cream (using the
2 baggies & milk method). Boo loves doing that, so hopefully
his friends will too... all 18 of them!
lee