Old 21-03-2013, 03:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cool Whip Frosting?

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

Old 21-03-2013, 04:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:52:35 -0700 (PDT), merryb
wrote:

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

Have not heard of it, and after looking at the Kraft site,
will NOT be trying it, as they have NO product info available.

It depends. Mr. Esther loves Cool Whip, even the fatfree tub. Polly

Old 21-03-2013, 04:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

Uh... No! I've never eaten Cool Whip and never would. Never let Angela
eat it either. If she wants whipped cream, she gets the real thing.

Had a neighbor who used to rave about a cake that she made that involved
Cool Whip and pink lemonade. Made me want to gag.

Old 21-03-2013, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

There are lots of people (who have never given cool whip a second
thought) that would eat it just because it's nondairy and shelf
stable.

Old 21-03-2013, 04:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

There are lots of people (who have never given cool whip a second
thought) that would eat it just because it's nondairy and shelf
stable.

It's not shelf stable. Recommendations on the package suggest to keep
it frozen (and that's where you'll find it in the stores).

Old 21-03-2013, 05:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message
Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

I might if I was making something for the grandkids, just to try it. I like
to try different things, even if it's just a small taste.

Cheri

Old 21-03-2013, 09:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-21, Polly Esther wrote:

It depends. Mr. Esther loves Cool Whip, even the fatfree tub.

Fat-free? I usta call it "grease-whip", as that's what is primarily
was. Apparently, they have changed things, somewhat:

"Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil
(including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn
syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a
milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar
gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a
coloring).[4] In some markets, such as Canada and the United States,
Cool Whip is available in an aerosol can using nitrous oxide as a
propellant. Cool Whip was formerly marketed as non-dairy, but in
Jewish dietary traditions, Cool Whip was classified as dairy rather
than parve (non-meat and non-dairy) because of the sodium caseinate
(which is derived from milk). Cool Whip now contains milk and cream."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Whip

nb
Old 21-03-2013, 09:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-21, Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

It's not fat free but they can get away with calling it that because a
serving is so small that the amount of fat in it is less than a gram.

I used to work with this gal that ate it right out of the tub. Ate an
entire tub all at once. It was the chocolate kind. Do they even make that
any more? She couldn't figure out why she was putting on weight.

Old 21-03-2013, 09:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

Hell no. Regular Cool Whip is nasty artificial crap so the frosting
is probably similar or worse. It is easy enough to whip up the real
deal with some confectioner's sugar and butter. Yes, real butter, no
Crisco, no margarine
Old 21-03-2013, 09:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

There are lots of people (who have never given cool whip a second
thought) that would eat it just because it's nondairy and shelf
stable.

It's not shelf stable. Recommendations on the package suggest to keep
it frozen (and that's where you'll find it in the stores).

But it does keep for some time after defrosting as compared to real
whipped cream.

Old 21-03-2013, 10:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-21, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hell no. Regular Cool Whip is nasty artificial crap so the frosting
is probably similar or worse. It is easy enough to whip up the real
deal with some confectioner's sugar and butter. Yes, real butter, no
Crisco, no margarine

Yep. Even sprmkt bakery made cakes will use a frosting similar to
"grease-whip", as I call it. It's basically some sorta shortening and
a lotta air. Another grease-whip.

But yes, a simple butter-cream frosting is hard to beat. Butter,
pwdrd sugar, milk, vanilla. I grew up on the stuff and it was dense,
rich, and almost painfully sweet, though as a kid I didn't think so.
Usta you could buy a little box of pwdr sugar and the recipe was right
on the box. My nan usta make about 3 pan cakes per week, all topped
with food colored butter-cream frosting. Yum.

nb

Old 21-03-2013, 11:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I eat the fat free variety on occasion with a light dessert (say,
sliced strawberries on sugar free Angel Food cake) and it's actually
one of the better fat free products, much better than, say, fat free
mayonnaise, which I have to doctor up on a sandwich with lots of
mustard. After the double bypass I had to give up foods with the word
"Cream" in them, just as I had to give up foods that ended in
"Sausage".
Old 21-03-2013, 04:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 10:52*pm, merryb wrote:
Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. *Ick! *Would you try
it?

I thought it looked really good in the commercial. ?? It might be
perfect if you are making your own ice cream cake, like that at DQ.

N.
Old 21-03-2013, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. *Ick! *Would you try
it?

Have not heard of it, and after looking at the Kraft site,
will NOT be trying it, as they have NO product info available.

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

Well, pick up a tub the next time you are at the freezer section of
the supermarket, and read what is on the container. How hard is
that? You don't have to buy it to find out, and you probably go to
the supermarket now and then.

N.
Old 21-03-2013, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2013 5:52 PM, merryb wrote:
Just saw a commercial for it- they showed a bunch of cakes that looked
like they belonged to cakewrecks.com, and then introduced their
"frosting" which is found in the freezer section. Ick! Would you try
it?

I wouldn't have any problem trying it. I don't care for regular frosting
so practically anything might be an improvement. I don't have any
problem with Cool Whip either - real whipped cream causes my guts to go
into spasms. This pretty much ruins it for me.

Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Baking 6 05-09-2013 11:58 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] General Cooking 81 04-01-2008 04:57 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-01-2008 09:18 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Recipes 1 31-12-2007 06:58 AM