Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube

Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

I did. It was just kind of meh. Don't recall it being salty. It is with
the biscuits but not all stores carry it. I had to use their product
locator to find it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

Does it count if I have one on hand? We never know when a hungry grandson
will come by. It seemed that the Pillsbury crust + pizza sauce, an
arrangement of pepperoni and cheese would be welcome. Also, this week, I
tried the Pillsbury French bread tube. That was okay. And, I sliced and
baked some of their sugar cookies. Nothing stellar but good when in a
hurry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 22:41:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> > you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> > biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> > is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.
> >

> Does it count if I have one on hand? We never know when a hungry grandson
> will come by. It seemed that the Pillsbury crust + pizza sauce, an
> arrangement of pepperoni and cheese would be welcome. Also, this week, I
> tried the Pillsbury French bread tube. That was okay. And, I sliced and
> baked some of their sugar cookies. Nothing stellar but good when in a
> hurry.

Thanks! That recipe was a simple cheese sandwich grilled on the BBQ.
It was interesting enough to try with my grill pan, but I needed to
know if the pizza crust the blog post said to use as bread passed
muster.

You're a no nonsense, down home food type cook who doesn't give a hoot
if anyone has a problem with your methods (IMO), so I'll give it a try
- thanks again, Polly!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 19:47:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> > you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> > biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> > is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

> I did. It was just kind of meh. Don't recall it being salty. It is with
> the biscuits but not all stores carry it. I had to use their product
> locator to find it.

Aha. That might be it then, thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
>> you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the
>> tube biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The
>> reason I ask is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that
>> calls for it.

> I did. It was just kind of meh. Don't recall it being salty. It is
> with the biscuits but not all stores carry it. I had to use their
> product locator to find it.

I get the regular Pillsbury pizza crust. It's not my favorite, but it agrees
with my tummy. I tend to use more olive oil on the pizza dough.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 8, 2013 9:12:37 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
>
> you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
>
> biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
>
> is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

I guess you figure you're so old that it makes little difference whether you shove *shit* into your piehole.
http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Brands/Baking_Products/Pillsbury/Brand%20Product%20List%20Page.aspx#{6964D523-E2A4-42E3-924B-07790FCA77FC}

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:27:21 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Friday, March 8, 2013 9:12:37 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> >
> > you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> >
> > biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> >
> > is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.
> >

> I guess you figure you're so old that it makes little difference whether you shove *shit* into your piehole.
> http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Brands/Baking_Products/Pillsbury/Brand%20Product%20List%20Page.aspx#{6964D523-E2A4-42E3-924B-07790FCA77FC}

What's the matter with you? I'm perfectly capable of making adult
decisions about what I eat and what I don't eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 10:33*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:27:21 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> > On Friday, March 8, 2013 9:12:37 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > > Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? *What did

> > > you think? *I'm thinking "salty". *I will assume it's in with the tube

> > > biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. *The reason I ask

> > > is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

> > I guess you figure you're so old that it makes little difference whether you shove *shit* into your piehole.
> >http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Brands/Baking_Products/Pillsbury/Bra...{6964D523-E2A4-42E3-924B-07790FCA77FC}

> What's the matter with you? *I'm perfectly capable of making adult
> decisions about what I eat and what I don't eat.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

It's just that time of the month for Bryan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:

> > > I guess you figure you're so old that it makes little difference whether you
> > > shove *shit* into your piehole.

> > What's the matter with you? *I'm perfectly capable of making adult
> > decisions about what I eat and what I don't eat.

> It's just that time of the month for Bryan.

Have you ever tried those bread-in-a-tube products? They're emergency rations,
nothing more. They sustain the body but not the soul.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2013 5:12 PM, sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

I used to eat a lot of bread in a tube. It was a fun food and popping
that can open was sometimes scary. I don't eat that stuff no more
because I'm no longer amused by the packaging and it always had a funny
aftertaste to me.

OTOH, what's really tasty, oddly enough, is to get a tube of biscuits,
cut each in half and deep fry in oil. When it's golden brown, dredge the
hot biscuits in sugar or cinnamon and sugar. The kids and adults will
really dig it. Just don't tell 'em what it is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2013 10:12 PM, sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.

I think it just tastes like one of their biscuit tubes flattened. I
don't like it. However, I do like the packaged crescent rolls flattened
and cooked, the covered with ranch dressing and veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just to point out, personal opinion only, but making pizza dough and
then pizza from scratch is not at all a difficult process, and the
end product has got to be better than anything you'd make with a
dough that comes out of a cardboard tube. Yes, it takes more time.
Yes, you have to plan ahead. But it's worth it if you can take the
time.

I also don't try to fit the dough to a pan. I hand stretch it, and
if it comes out more free-form than circular, well, they're charging
extra in pizza restaurants these days for "rustic" pizza, so you're
just ahead of the curve. Use a pizza stone at 500 degrees, and
invest in a wooden peel and a box of corn meal. Just like in the
old country (which, for me, is the North End in Bahstun...).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-10, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
> Just to point out, personal opinion only, but making pizza dough and
> then pizza from scratch is not at all a difficult process.....

No, it's not. This recipe for a thin crust works great, is easy,
quick, and works even at 8000 ft.:

http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/T/272.htm

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> quick, and works even at 8000 ft.:

What do you use for fuel at that altitude? How far down the mountain is your
well?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 01:00:26 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 3/8/2013 10:12 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
> > you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
> > biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
> > is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.
> >

> I think it just tastes like one of their biscuit tubes flattened.

That's disappointing!
> don't like it. However, I do like the packaged crescent rolls flattened
> and cooked, the covered with ranch dressing and veggies.

I walked down memory lane recently with tubed crescent rolls, not
taking that path again. Ugh!

Thanks for the insight, if I make that sandwich recipe, I'll make my
own pizza dough and take from there. Now that I think about it, I
guess they were attempting a thin (aka lower carb) sandwich on faux
focaccia bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Mar 2013 12:55:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2013-03-10, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
> > Just to point out, personal opinion only, but making pizza dough and
> > then pizza from scratch is not at all a difficult process.....

> No, it's not. This recipe for a thin crust works great, is easy,
> quick, and works even at 8000 ft.:
>
> http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/T/272.htm

Just to point out to you and allan... I make pizza dough quite often
and am completely competent at it. I also am not adverse to trying
new products because some of them are surprisingly good and so close
to what I make, I've put the recipe away and just buy commercial if I
want it. B&M Baked beans are a case in point and fresh salsa from the
deli refrigerator section is another.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/13 1:00 AM, Cheryl wrote:

> I think it just tastes like one of their biscuit tubes flattened....

Agreed.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/13 3:12 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 3/10/13 1:00 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I think it just tastes like one of their biscuit tubes flattened....

> Agreed.

Oh, wait -- did you mean it tastes like what's inside the tube,
flattened? Or the tube itself, flattened? I think I agree either way.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 1:07 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 01:00:26 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/8/2013 10:12 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever tried Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust in a tube? What did
>>> you think? I'm thinking "salty". I will assume it's in with the tube
>>> biscuits, but I don't recall seeing it in that area. The reason I ask
>>> is because I found an interesting sandwich recipe that calls for it.
>>>

>> I think it just tastes like one of their biscuit tubes flattened.

> That's disappointing!
>> don't like it. However, I do like the packaged crescent rolls flattened
>> and cooked, the covered with ranch dressing and veggies.

> I walked down memory lane recently with tubed crescent rolls, not
> taking that path again. Ugh!
>
> Thanks for the insight, if I make that sandwich recipe, I'll make my
> own pizza dough and take from there. Now that I think about it, I
> guess they were attempting a thin (aka lower carb) sandwich on faux
> focaccia bread.

What sandwich was that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 00:04:12 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 3/10/2013 1:07 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 01:00:26 -0500, Cheryl >
> > wrote:

> >> I think it just tastes like one of their biscuit tubes flattened.

> > That's disappointing!
> >> don't like it. However, I do like the packaged crescent rolls flattened
> >> and cooked, the covered with ranch dressing and veggies.

> > I walked down memory lane recently with tubed crescent rolls, not
> > taking that path again. Ugh!
> >
> > Thanks for the insight, if I make that sandwich recipe, I'll make my
> > own pizza dough and take from there. Now that I think about it, I
> > guess they were attempting a thin (aka lower carb) sandwich on faux
> > focaccia bread.
> >

> What sandwich was that?

One I've deleted the tab to. Not doing it.