Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The food programme bbc

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:58:22 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> The current one is from South Carolina and Louisiana and I am hearing all
>> about southern food A Brit is talking to them about their food and
>> tasting it Sounds wonderful
>>
>> If I can find the programme on the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, I will
>> post
>> it if you are interested in our take on it. The interviewer is mighty
>> impressed)
>> --

> Sounds like an interesting show, please post if you ever find it. Do
> you think we'd be able to access it if we don't show the BBC a British
> IP address? Maybe it's on YouTube.

Sorry I changed the subject line.

"US Southern Cooking BBC" All I can say is, try it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 22:04:26 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:58:22 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The current one is from South Carolina and Louisiana and I am hearing all
> >> about southern food A Brit is talking to them about their food and
> >> tasting it Sounds wonderful
> >>
> >> If I can find the programme on the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, I will
> >> post
> >> it if you are interested in our take on it. The interviewer is mighty
> >> impressed)
> >> --

> > Sounds like an interesting show, please post if you ever find it. Do
> > you think we'd be able to access it if we don't show the BBC a British
> > IP address? Maybe it's on YouTube.

> Sorry I changed the subject line.
>
> "US Southern Cooking BBC" All I can say is, try it.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
> --

It's a radio program - no video. I was able to listen and replied
when I found your other post. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
>> --

> It's a radio program - no video. I was able to listen and replied
> when I found your other post. Thanks.

YW. Yes of course it was a Radio programme It was advertised as being on
Radio 4 did it not? I am surprised that you were surprised
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 14:37:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r09t0
> >> --

> > It's a radio program - no video. I was able to listen and replied
> > when I found your other post. Thanks.

> YW. Yes of course it was a Radio programme It was advertised as being on
> Radio 4 did it not? I am surprised that you were surprised
> --

I was surprised that BBC let us into their site period. I've had
trouble following direct links to recipes posted in the other ng and
have been wondering if it's due to not having a UK IP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I was surprised that BBC let us into their site period. I've had
> trouble following direct links to recipes posted in the other ng and
> have been wondering if it's due to not having a UK IP.

Given that you were able to access it, if you log into

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/a-z

you can find all the other food progs, as well as anything else that takes
your fancy Have a look around. Radio 4 is my listening of choice and the
one I have on I always have on while I am cooking
Enjoy
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:45:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > I was surprised that BBC let us into their site period. I've had
> > trouble following direct links to recipes posted in the other ng and
> > have been wondering if it's due to not having a UK IP.

> Given that you were able to access it, if you log into
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/a-z
>
> you can find all the other food progs, as well as anything else that takes
> your fancy Have a look around. Radio 4 is my listening of choice and the
> one I have on I always have on while I am cooking
> Enjoy
> --

Ophelia, I've always wanted to ask... do you watch movies that use
American accents with the subtitles turned on so you don't have to
replay a line to figure out what the heck they just said? I find
myself wanting to hit the rewind button and feeling frustrated because
I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Ophelia, I've always wanted to ask... do you watch movies that use
> American accents with the subtitles turned on so you don't have to
> replay a line to figure out what the heck they just said?

lol I never have. Can't say I have ever felt the need

I find
> myself wanting to hit the rewind button and feeling frustrated because
> I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
> in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
> and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
> speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
> than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

I can understand you might need to do that with some UK stuff if it is
regional, although you won't find much of that on Radio4.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
> in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
> and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
> speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
> than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

I couldn't understand Downton Abbey and with no captions, I just deleted all
of it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 12:36 PM, sf wrote:

> Ophelia, I've always wanted to ask... do you watch movies that use
> American accents with the subtitles turned on so you don't have to
> replay a line to figure out what the heck they just said? I find
> myself wanting to hit the rewind button and feeling frustrated because
> I didn't understand a key word or two (said with an accent) when I'm
> in the car listening to talk radio. I can understand heavy Chinese
> and Spanish accents pretty well if I can see their faces when they're
> speaking - but British, Aussie (which has more to do with the slang
> than the accent) and French accents throw me for a loop.

That's funny. I have to rewind often when I watch shows like
Ripper Street or Luther, etc. Not so much Downton Abbey. And
I do have the sound up higher than usual, too.

nancy