Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Apple Crisp

I love rhubarb crisp but apple crisp was always sickly sweet for me, and
I hate apple pie. I was watching a cooking show today and wanted a taste
of this.

The cook had a glass 8x8x2 baking dish filled level to the top with:

medium chopped apples in their skins which had been mixed with zest and
juice of one orange and it looked like no more than 1/4 cup of sugar.

The interesting topping was mounded on top before baking. It was the
usual mixture of flour, butter, noninstant oatmeal, brown sugar, but
with: chopped up chunks of white cheddar cheese (the cook said dont use
shredded cheese because it will disappear into the crust during
baking-you want to still see chunks of cheese after baking.)

I also thought that cheddar/beer pot pot pie crust I posted recently
(from the food network magazine) might be interesting on top of apple
crisp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:
> I love rhubarb crisp but apple crisp was always sickly sweet for me,
> and I hate apple pie. I was watching a cooking show today and wanted
> a taste of this.
>
> The cook had a glass 8x8x2 baking dish filled level to the top with:
>
> medium chopped apples in their skins which had been mixed with zest
> and juice of one orange and it looked like no more than 1/4 cup of
> sugar.
>
> The interesting topping was mounded on top before baking. It was the
> usual mixture of flour, butter, noninstant oatmeal, brown sugar, but
> with: chopped up chunks of white cheddar cheese (the cook said dont
> use shredded cheese because it will disappear into the crust during
> baking-you want to still see chunks of cheese after baking.)
>
> I also thought that cheddar/beer pot pot pie crust I posted recently
> (from the food network magazine) might be interesting on top of apple
> crisp.

I have not tried that but cheese on apple pie is good.

Apple Pie Crisp Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 06-06-2008 01:08 AM
REC: apple crisp Jackie Patti[_2_] Diabetic 7 29-10-2007 02:58 AM
Apple Crisp Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 14 30-09-2006 04:24 AM
Apple Crisp: Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:15 PM
REC: Apple Crisp Curly Sue General Cooking 1 21-07-2005 07:06 PM