Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Heinz sold for $23 Billion

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood in
> Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the spaghetti
> sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to the amazement of
> colleagues.

My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean sandwich.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2013 7:52 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/15/2013 9:41 PM, graham wrote:

>> The home of the baked bean sandwich!

> I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood in
> Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the spaghetti
> sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to the amazement
> of colleagues.

On her show, Trisha Yearwood made lasagna for her husband, Garth Brooks.
Something I would never think to do, he loves to have a slab for
breakfast, he puts it on two slices of bread and eats it like a sandwich.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:50:44 -0600, (z z) wrote:

>Yes, Simply Heinz is delicious.
>
>If I recall, John Kerry's wife was a Heinz heir-wonder how much stock
>he/she own/owned in the company? I figure for him to run for President
>again. Hopefully someone explains the facts of life to Biden before
>then.
>
>I dabbled in the online stock market in a very small way for awhile till
>I realized I simply didnt have enough time (or money) to do it properly.

IMO, there is no 'properly'. It is a crap shoot-- and we're way too
small to be 'the house'. That said-- if you're patient and not
greedy, it still beats most everything else.

>When I read Buffet bought Heinz I thought of the excellent Simply Heinz
>ketchup (and John Kerry back in the political inner circle) and realized
>I should have seen it coming.
>
>Getting ready to do taxes today and was checking my account. Years ago
>my first stock purchase was VMI at $17 a share. I could barely afford
>just a few shares. I sold for a tiny profit and it was a fun learning
>experience. While checking my account for kicks I looked up current
>price of VMI. Gulp $158 a share. Makes me wish I had hocked everything
>to buy a large amount of shares.

You didn't pick up a few shares of Berkshire Hatthaway? In the spring
of 2009 I balked at their $73K/share price. Good thing-- They only
doubled a month or so ago. [$150K today]

Amazon- Sirius- Caterpillar and even Chrysler have done better.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On her show, Trisha Yearwood made lasagna for her husband, Garth Brooks.
> Something I would never think to do,

I would never think to make lasagna for Garth Brooks either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I made a few mistakes along the way too.

I was having fun with penny stocks also-there was a Canadian airline in
protected bankruptcy I think and I remember thinking no way is Canada
going to let this airline go under so I bought some shares. Only I didnt
understand the foreign stock symbols and ended up buying something else
related to but not the actual stock I intended to buy. When their stock
went up I was ****ed because what I had mistakenly bought did not go up.
I emailed the stock brokerage webaddress and said "Educate me." I
received a very nice email in return explaining the symbols.

I also bought a penny stock called BSII just for kicks-it was a company
involved in waste management-I enjoyed telling people "I bought some
bullshit too." LOLOL

Fun times and better odds than lottery tickets but still pure gambling
:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

They clearly have weight issues and obviously haven't learned about low
carb. Pasta on Bread?!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2013 9:17 AM, z z wrote:
> They clearly have weight issues and obviously haven't learned about low
> carb. Pasta on Bread?!!!

"Sandwich" aside, what you're saying is never have garlic bread with
lasagna. Or with spaghetti & meatballs. I've got news for ya, not
everyone has jumped on the low-carb bandwagon. I'm not overweight and
I'll eat both, thanks. The key is moderation.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

It's all about you? I thought I was writing about them... We all have
different nutritional needs and if you took 100 newborns, controlling
all the random variables so that each baby had a unique genetic makeup
compared to the other babies, and then placed them in a controlled
environment, and fed them all the exact same nutritional intake, guess
what? At age 20, 30, 40, 50, 60... years of age, they would all have
different bodies different shapes different weights despite the exact
same nutritional input. So much for free will.

That many carbs for those two people with that particular lifestyle is
disastrous for THEIR weight control.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2013 9:12 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On her show, Trisha Yearwood made lasagna for her husband, Garth Brooks.
>> Something I would never think to do,

> I would never think to make lasagna for Garth Brooks either.

I already reworded it so it wouldn't sound like that. (laugh)

And I'd *happily* make lasagna for Garth Brooks. And Trisha.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2013 9:58 AM, z z wrote:
> It's all about you?

No, it's all about Garth Brooks eating lasagna on bread. Like a sandwich.

> I thought I was writing about them... We all have
> different nutritional needs and if you took 100 newborns, controlling
> all the random variables

Give me a friggin break. Oh, yes, let's put babies in experimental
scenarios. Sounds very Nazi-like to me.

> That many carbs for those two people with that particular lifestyle is
> disastrous for THEIR weight control.

What do you know about Trisha and Garth's lifestyle?! I don't know
anything but I know what he and his wife look like. They aren't obese.
You're assuming they (or people in general) eat that way every day.
I, for one, don't. Maybe *you're* obese. Go ahead, impose those rules
on yourself. Just don't push your low-carb agenda on everyone else.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
> > I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood in
> > Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the spaghetti
> > sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to the amazement of
> > colleagues.

> My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean sandwich.
> --

Maybe it's Canadian. My grandfather, who was Canadian by birth but of
Scottish ancestry, made baked bean sandwiches for lunch the day after
having BBB for dinner the night before. He claimed "the English" made
bean sandwiches, so I believed him.

Now that I'm thinking about it, an open faced bean sandwich and an egg
with a runny yolk on top might be good for breakfast. I should try
that sometime and see how it works for me. I like a nice poached egg
on a square of fried polenta, so anything is possible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

> It's all about you? I thought I was writing about them... We all have
> different nutritional needs and if you took 100 newborns, controlling
> all the random variables so that each baby had a unique genetic makeup
> compared to the other babies, and then placed them in a controlled
> environment, and fed them all the exact same nutritional intake, guess
> what? At age 20, 30, 40, 50, 60... years of age, they would all have
> different bodies different shapes different weights despite the exact
> same nutritional input. So much for free will.

True but silly story. Did you stay up all night coming up with that? Not
all of us are obscessed with a low-carb diet. I understand that diabetics
need to be but for normal life, carbs are not evil. (except for Brian)

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:05:18 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> What do you know about Trisha and Garth's lifestyle?! I don't know
> anything but I know what he and his wife look like. They aren't obese.

I've see Trisha Yearwood's show on FN a couple of times and while
she's not bone thin, she's not overweight AFAIC. No idea what her
husband looks like, but if he wants an occasional lasagna sandwich for
breakfast - I don't think it's will put him in the hospital...
especially if it's only a rare treat. As for my own personal tastes -
that sandwich idea doesn't appeal. If I ate lasagna for breakfast,
I'd have a side of cottage cheese with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2013 12:07 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:05:18 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> What do you know about Trisha and Garth's lifestyle?! I don't know
>> anything but I know what he and his wife look like. They aren't obese.

> I've see Trisha Yearwood's show on FN a couple of times and while
> she's not bone thin, she's not overweight AFAIC. No idea what her
> husband looks like, but if he wants an occasional lasagna sandwich for
> breakfast - I don't think it's will put him in the hospital...
> especially if it's only a rare treat. As for my own personal tastes -
> that sandwich idea doesn't appeal. If I ate lasagna for breakfast,
> I'd have a side of cottage cheese with it.

It's not something that would appeal to me, it just struck me as
strange, a pasta dish on bread, like the aforementioned spaghetti
sandwich.

If I have the episode right, it was a healthy lasagna that she
made for him. Black beans and tofu.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
>> I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood in
>> Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the spaghetti
>> sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to the amazement of
>> colleagues.

>My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean sandwich.
>--

I haven't thought about them in years. We made them from my mother's
home-made baked beans. Those beans weren't runny like the ones from
cans. My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
white bean baked with onion and bacon.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood in
>>> Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the spaghetti
>>> sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to the amazement
>>> of
>>> colleagues.

>>My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean
>>sandwich.
>>--

> I haven't thought about them in years. We made them from my mother's
> home-made baked beans. Those beans weren't runny like the ones from
> cans. My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
> sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
> the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
> white bean baked with onion and bacon.

You do know you will have to make one now don't you? Just for the memory
you undertstand
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2013 12:38 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean
>>> sandwich.
>>> --

>> I haven't thought about them in years. We made them from my mother's
>> home-made baked beans. Those beans weren't runny like the ones from
>> cans. My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
>> sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
>> the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
>> white bean baked with onion and bacon.

> You do know you will have to make one now don't you? Just for the
> memory you undertstand

I do recall that I rather likedcanned baked beans on toast (and I'll bet
they were Heinz'). Like you said, maybe I'll have to try those again;
perhaps on one of those over-sized muffins that I have mentioned.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:36:48 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
> sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
> the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
> white bean baked with onion and bacon.

I have some white beans with EVOO, garlic and rosemary... now I'm
wondering how that would work. Hmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:13:52 -0500, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail>
wrote:

> If I have the episode right, it was a healthy lasagna that she
> made for him. Black beans and tofu.

If she substituted zucchini for the noodles, it would have been even
healthier - LOL. Along these lines... one of these days I want to
make "baked ricotta". Ricotta is my favorite part of the lasagna, so
why not just bake it and serve it with meat sauce on top? Meat sauce
would be for hubby. I'd be fine just opening a can of Trader Joe's
Marinara.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:00:21 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Not
> all of us are obscessed with a low-carb diet. I understand that diabetics
> need to be but for normal life, carbs are not evil. (except for Brian)

We could all stand to cut back on carbs, but you're right about how it
doesn't bother those of us who are not diabetic or approaching it.
Hubby feels a lot better (sleeps better too) when he cuts back on
sugar and carbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:38:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean
>>>sandwich.
>>>--

>> I haven't thought about them in years. We made them from my mother's
>> home-made baked beans. Those beans weren't runny like the ones from
>> cans. My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
>> sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
>> the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
>> white bean baked with onion and bacon.

>You do know you will have to make one now don't you? Just for the memory
>you undertstand
>--

Already in the planning stage )
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:56:04 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:36:48 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
>> sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
>> the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
>> white bean baked with onion and bacon.

>I have some white beans with EVOO, garlic and rosemary... now I'm
>wondering how that would work. Hmm.

How did you make your beans? Did you use any sort of smoky meat?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 2/15/2013 9:41 PM, graham wrote:

>>> Heinz Baked Beans were developed in Australians for Australians. They
>>> sell 3x more baked beans in Australia than they do the United States.
>>>
>>> That says a lot about the tastes of Australians. Chow down, folks!
>>>

>> The home of the baked bean sandwich!
>>

> I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood in
> Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the spaghetti
> sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to the amazement of
> colleagues.

When I lived in Australia, the BB sandwich was a staple at most lunch
counters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2013 9:17 AM, z z wrote:
>> They clearly have weight issues and obviously haven't learned about low
>> carb. Pasta on Bread?!!!
>>

> "Sandwich" aside, what you're saying is never have garlic bread with
> lasagna. Or with spaghetti & meatballs. I've got news for ya, not
> everyone has jumped on the low-carb bandwagon. I'm not overweight and
> I'll eat both, thanks. The key is moderation.
>
> Jill

My father came home from the pub one evening and, feeling peckish, made a
sandwich with some of the beef stew we'd had earlier. Mum was taken aback
but after that, often made him stew sandwiches for his lunch at work.
One day, one of the drivers was hungry and so Dad gave him one of these
sandwiches and the guy was so enthusiastic that he, and all the other
drivers had their wives make them after that.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:38:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> I haven't thought about them in years. We made them from my mother's
>>> home-made baked beans. Those beans weren't runny like the ones from
>>> cans. My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
>>> sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
>>> the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
>>> white bean baked with onion and bacon.

>>You do know you will have to make one now don't you? Just for the memory
>>you undertstand
>>--

> Already in the planning stage )

Cool
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2013 12:38 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> I haven't thought about them in years. We made them from my mother's
>>> home-made baked beans. Those beans weren't runny like the ones from
>>> cans. My mother sprinkled a little vinegar on them when she made her
>>> sandwich, so that's how I learned to eat my sandwich. (this was with
>>> the cold baked beans) These weren't sweet, barbeque beans, just a
>>> white bean baked with onion and bacon.

>> You do know you will have to make one now don't you? Just for the
>> memory you undertstand

> I do recall that I rather likedcanned baked beans on toast (and I'll bet
> they were Heinz'). Like you said, maybe I'll have to try those again;
> perhaps on one of those over-sized muffins that I have mentioned.

Oh yes They had to be Heinz)
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 2/16/2013 9:17 AM, z z wrote:
>>> They clearly have weight issues and obviously haven't learned about low
>>> carb. Pasta on Bread?!!!
>>>

>> "Sandwich" aside, what you're saying is never have garlic bread with
>> lasagna. Or with spaghetti & meatballs. I've got news for ya, not
>> everyone has jumped on the low-carb bandwagon. I'm not overweight and
>> I'll eat both, thanks. The key is moderation.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> My father came home from the pub one evening and, feeling peckish, made a
> sandwich with some of the beef stew we'd had earlier. Mum was taken aback
> but after that, often made him stew sandwiches for his lunch at work.
> One day, one of the drivers was hungry and so Dad gave him one of these
> sandwiches and the guy was so enthusiastic that he, and all the other
> drivers had their wives make them after that.

Hey! Whatever floats your boat
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-16, Ophelia > wrote:

> Oh yes They had to be Heinz)

Hey, they still have the ketchup market.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in
:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> On 2/15/2013 9:41 PM, graham wrote:

>>> The home of the baked bean sandwich!
>>>

>> I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood
>> in Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the
>> spaghetti sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to
>> the amazement of colleagues.
>>

> When I lived in Australia, the BB sandwich was a staple at most lunch
> counters.

I beg to differ.

How long ago did you live here, and where exactly?

They might have been a 'staple' in some peoples homes, but certainly not
in any deli's/sandwich bars.

And I can't remember them ever being on the 'menu' at any school I
attended.

And at home, it was usually as James said, BB on toast. The 'grown up'
version is to have BB on toast with a runny egg on top.

--
Peter
Brisbane

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:36:03 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>When I lived in Australia, the BB sandwich was a staple at most lunch
>counters.

Well, that's odd because I can't ever recall seeing one before - in a
shop or elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love > wrote in
:

> On Feb 15, 10:20*am, "I'm back" > wrote:

>> It's a shit product anyway.
>>
>> The Heinz baked beans are crap, their spaghetti is crap.... it's
>> bland boring shite.

> I found an excellent canned bean product the other day. It's a no
> name brand; made with real maple syrup. It cost $0.59. An
> outstanding deal. Pretty yummy stuff. Pretty sweet and definitely
> not diabetes friendly.

I was strictly a Watties BB guy, but during the bushfires down in Tassie,
the supermarket ran out of a lot of stuff, and I had to settle for some
store branded BB in BBQ sauce. Watties BB sell for around $1.30 a tin, the
store brand sells for $1..... and they aren't too bad either.

I thought I might have to tweak them a bit, but they are fine on their own.

Still beats that Heinz crap, hands down.

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:33:25 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>>On Feb 15, 10:20*am, "I'm back" > wrote:

>>> It's a shit product anyway.
>>>
>>> The Heinz baked beans are crap, their spaghetti is crap.... it's
>>> bland boring shite.

>>I found an excellent canned bean product the other day. It's a no
>>name brand; made with real maple syrup. It cost $0.59. An
>>outstanding deal.

> The no name brands and store brands are made by big name companys,
> only difference is the label and lower price... what you bought could
> very well be Heinz.

Not in my case, here in Oz. After trying the Heinz, it's a bland boring
flavour that you could never mistake for anything else.

My store brand is streets ahead of it.

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 01:03:09 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:18:34 -0000, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I remember baked beans on toast but not sandwiches from my childhood in
>>> Britain (an open-faced sandwich, I guess) and I recall the spaghetti
>>> sandwich which a visitor from New Zealand brought for to the amazement of
>>> colleagues.

>> My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean sandwich.

>HTH would you make a bean sandwich? Sounds like a disaster and a
>waste of napkins.

I was wondering the same thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:36:34 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 01:03:09 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> My kids used to love beans on toast, but I have never seen a bean sandwich.

> >HTH would you make a bean sandwich? Sounds like a disaster and a
> >waste of napkins.

> I was wondering the same thing.

It wouldn't be too bad if it didn't ooze out all over everything...
which cold beans don't do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:36:34 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 01:03:09 -0600, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> > >HTH would you make a bean sandwich? Sounds like a disaster and a
> > >waste of napkins.

> > I was wondering the same thing.

> It wouldn't be too bad if it didn't ooze out all over everything...
> which cold beans don't do.

I hope I got the attributions right. Try heated chili with beans using
one end of a crusty french bread. Slice in half and hollow it out a bit.
Add anything else that you like. If you don't like chili with beans or
you don't like french bread, you will hate this. You can get two
sandwiches if you do the same with the other end. It's good belly filler.
I suppose you could do the same with Boston baked beans if you like
things sweet.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:43:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:36:34 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 01:03:09 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >HTH would you make a bean sandwich? Sounds like a disaster and a
>> >waste of napkins.

>> I was wondering the same thing.

>It wouldn't be too bad if it didn't ooze out all over everything...
>which cold beans don't do.

True. Although I think I'd still prefer a toasted bean sandwich made
with one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster

Just out of interest, does anyone know how to make such sandwiches
without one of these gadgets?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 07:18:54 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:43:12 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

> >It wouldn't be too bad if it didn't ooze out all over everything...
> >which cold beans don't do.

> True. Although I think I'd still prefer a toasted bean sandwich made
> with one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster
>
> Just out of interest, does anyone know how to make such sandwiches
> without one of these gadgets?

If I made bean sandwiches, it would have to be without using one of
those things because I'm not running out to buy one for any reason.
To be honest, I think of them as being used more by Brits than
Americans, because they at least mention toasties or whatever it's
called in their group from time to time. No one ever seems to bring
up the subject here other than saying it was a dust catcher and
donated to a second hand shop. Are they popular in Australia too?
Never mind, I guess they are... Breville is an Australian company.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote about beans on toast:

> I have some white beans with EVOO, garlic and rosemary... now I'm
> wondering how that would work. Hmm.

Crostini with beans are pretty common; your beans would be great in that
application.

I used gigante beans to make crostini not all that long ago.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:50:37 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 07:18:54 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:43:12 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>

>> >It wouldn't be too bad if it didn't ooze out all over everything...
>> >which cold beans don't do.

>> True. Although I think I'd still prefer a toasted bean sandwich made
>> with one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster
>>
>> Just out of interest, does anyone know how to make such sandwiches
>> without one of these gadgets?

>If I made bean sandwiches, it would have to be without using one of
>those things because I'm not running out to buy one for any reason.
>To be honest, I think of them as being used more by Brits than
>Americans, because they at least mention toasties or whatever it's
>called in their group from time to time. No one ever seems to bring
>up the subject here other than saying it was a dust catcher and
>donated to a second hand shop. Are they popular in Australia too?
>Never mind, I guess they are... Breville is an Australian company.

They are popular here - or I should say /were/ popular here years ago,
they don't seem to be anywhere near as common as they once were.

I'm very hesitant to buy kitchen gadgets myself, unless it's something
that is extremely useful... all too often these gadgets end up as a
waste of space in kitchen cupboards.

Hence my question on how to make these toasted sangas witout one
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:04:13 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote about beans on toast:
>
> > I have some white beans with EVOO, garlic and rosemary... now I'm
> > wondering how that would work. Hmm.

> Crostini with beans are pretty common; your beans would be great in that
> application.
>
> I used gigante beans to make crostini not all that long ago.

Yes, that *would* be good... thanks.