Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Sourdough gluten free bread

I still had some of my sourdough starter hibernating in the
refrigerator. Even though originally made with regular flour I
decided to take it out and feed it with the gluten free flour mix I
had made and see if it would come back to life and if it did I wanted
to do an experiment with the gluten free flour to make bread.

The starter perked up after feeding it with the gluten free mix. It
took about half a day, I
discarded half and fed it again and left it overnight. It perked
right up and was as happy as could be.

I made a loaf of sourdough using the gluten free mix I had made.
I made a kinda sorta very dense loaf. I have a few theories as to
why and I'll experiment further. But I am heartened at the taste of
the bread and while it was baking it smelled like BREAD and made my
house heavenly.

Since it turned out to be a really moist 'brick' I decided to slice
very thin and bake it off to make crackers out of it. This worked
very well. They are a bit dark because I used a 250 oven and think
I should have used a lower temp. I don't think it's a recipe or
methodolgy I'll ever use again just to make crackers but I like the
way this mistake turned into something good to eat !

Here's a picture of the finished crackers cooling on the rack . You
can see by the shape that I really did make a 'brick' !!! :-)

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...98986461835138

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 3, 10:45*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

* *They are a bit dark because I used a 250 oven and think
> I should have used a lower temp.

That's a typo.....it should read 350 oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:45:24 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> it turned out to be a really moist 'brick'

Sounds just like my attempts at no knead bread. It looked good and
passed all the tests until I tried to eat it - the only description I
can come up with is it was "wet"... even after toasting it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 3, 12:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:45:24 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> > it turned out to be a really moist 'brick'

> Sounds just like my attempts at no knead bread. *It looked good and
> passed all the tests until I tried to eat it - the only description I
> can come up with is it was "wet"... even after toasting it.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

My no knead bread was always fabulous.
I'm going to continue to experiment with gluten free breads.
I can buy a really really good commercial gluten free bread here now
that is just like 'regular' bread in texture and taste.
My only problem with it is the price. In the grocery store it's over
$5 a loaf...and they are small loaves.

Here's the ingredient list from this bread:
brown rice flour, water, tapioca flour, whole grain sorghum flour,
agave syrup, eggs, extra virgin olive oil, yeast, cultured brown rice
flour, sea salt, whole grain amaranth, natural enzymes, xanthan gum.

So, I want to be able to make my own bread using not necessarily those
exact ingredients and using my sour dough starter if I can.

I think the challenge is really more important to me than paying the
price for what I can get in the store.
It's really nice to have a piece of toast for breakfast or even a
sandwich once in a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Sourdough gluten free bread SECOND TRY

On Feb 3, 2:14*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Feb 3, 12:50*pm, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:45:24 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags

> > > wrote:
> > > it turned out to be a really moist 'brick'

> > Sounds just like my attempts at no kneadbread. *It looked good and
> > passed all the tests until I tried to eat it - the only description I
> > can come up with is it was "wet"... even after toasting it.

> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> My no knead bread was always fabulous.
> I'm going to continue to experiment with gluten free breads.

..
Well I'm following the no knead sourdough bread recipe I've always
used except I'm substituting my gluten free flour mix for the regular
flour.

It is having it's 4 hour rest in the oven with the light on now.

We shall see how it bakes up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:14:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Feb 3, 2:14*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 12:50*pm, sf > wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:45:24 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags

>> > Sounds just like my attempts at no kneadbread. *It looked good and
>> > passed all the tests until I tried to eat it - the only description I
>> > can come up with is it was "wet"... even after toasting it.

>> > --
>> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>> My no knead bread was always fabulous.
>> I'm going to continue to experiment with gluten free breads.

>.
>Well I'm following the no knead sourdough bread recipe I've always
>used except I'm substituting my gluten free flour mix for the regular
>flour.
>
>It is having it's 4 hour rest in the oven with the light on now.
>
>We shall see how it bakes up.

I'm not very impressed with SF style sourdough bread (personally I
think it's crap), it's sourdough white bread, not very interesting. If
I have sourdough it's going to be a good Jewish sourdough rye, or
better a Russian sourdough corn bread (contains no corn).
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/487...corn-rye-bread
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:14:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Feb 3, 2:14 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 12:50 pm, sf > wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:45:24 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags

>> > Sounds just like my attempts at no kneadbread. It looked good and
>> > passed all the tests until I tried to eat it - the only description I
>> > can come up with is it was "wet"... even after toasting it.

>> > --
>> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>> My no knead bread was always fabulous.
>> I'm going to continue to experiment with gluten free breads.

>.
>Well I'm following the no knead sourdough bread recipe I've always
>used except I'm substituting my gluten free flour mix for the regular
>flour.
>
>It is having it's 4 hour rest in the oven with the light on now.
>
>We shall see how it bakes up.

I'm not very impressed with SF style sourdough bread (personally I
think it's crap), it's sourdough white bread, not very interesting. If
I have sourdough it's going to be a good Jewish sourdough rye, or
better a Russian sourdough corn bread (contains no corn).
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/487...corn-rye-bread

Oh my! That's the recipe you passed on to me when I first got started
baking.

So, I will return the favor. I long ago gave up using industrial yeast. All
with sourdough. This pumpernickel bagel recipe reminds me of my youth and
traveling up to the Bronx to visit my grandmother. We would always stop off
to buy a couple of dozen before heading back to Jersey.

Enjoy.

Alan

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpernickel Bagels

Recipe By :Alan Zelt
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread

2 Cups warm water
230 grams sourdough
1 Tablespoon malt syrup
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon caramel coloring powder
3 Cups whole rye flour

1 1/4 Cups White Bread flour
1/2 Medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons caraway seed
3 quarts water
1 Tablespoon malt syrup
1 egg yolk
optional sesame, poppy seeds or caraway seeds for
topping

Add the warm water, sourdough, caramel coloring powder, and malt syrup in
mixing bowl , and mix with paddle until mostly dissolved.

Gradually mix in 4 cups of blended flour, salt, 1/2 finely chopped onion and
caraway seeds. Beat at medium speed for 7 minutes with dough hook.

With spoon add 1 1/4 cups more blended flour to make a stiff dough and
elastic.

This dough wll be firmer than most yeast breads. Place in a greased bowl,
cover, let rise until almost doubled (about 1 hour). Knead dough lightly and
divide into 16 equal pieces. To shape, knead each piece, forming it into a
smooth ball. Let rest, covered, 15 minutes.

Holding ball with both hands, poke your thumbs through the center. With one
thumb in hole, work around perimeter, shaping bagel like a doughnut 3 to 3
1/2 inches across. Place the shaped bagels on baking paper, sprayed with
fat, upon cookie sheets. Cover with damp towels and let rise for 30 minutes.

Bring the 3 quarts of water and 1 tbls malt syrup to boiling in large
kettle. Adjust heat to keep it boiling gently.

Heat oven to 500 degrees. Gently lift one bagel at a time and drop into
water, boil about 4 at a time, turning often, for 3-5 minutes. Lift out with
slotted spatula, and place on baking sheet.

Brush with glaze made with 1 egg yolk and 1 tbls water. Top with poppy,
sesame seeds and/or caraway seeds. Bake for 10 minutes. Then rotate and
bake for an additional 10 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:49:54 -0700, "Alan" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:14:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>>> My no knead bread was always fabulous.
>>> I'm going to continue to experiment with gluten free breads.

>>.
>>Well I'm following the no knead sourdough bread recipe I've always
>>used except I'm substituting my gluten free flour mix for the regular
>>flour.
>>
>>It is having it's 4 hour rest in the oven with the light on now.
>>
>>We shall see how it bakes up.

>I'm not very impressed with SF style sourdough bread (personally I
>think it's crap), it's sourdough white bread, not very interesting. If
>I have sourdough it's going to be a good Jewish sourdough rye, or
>better a Russian sourdough corn bread (contains no corn).
>http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/487...corn-rye-bread
>
>Oh my! That's the recipe you passed on to me when I first got started
>baking.
>
>So, I will return the favor. I long ago gave up using industrial yeast. All
>with sourdough. This pumpernickel bagel recipe reminds me of my youth and
>traveling up to the Bronx to visit my grandmother. We would always stop off
>to buy a couple of dozen before heading back to Jersey.
>
>Enjoy.
>
>Alan

Thank you. Where have you been hiding? I lost my copy of that corn
bread recipe when my computer crashed, but that was quite a while ago
before I used an external hard drive... I would appreciate your
sending me a copy. Still the same AOL penmart addy but change 10 to
01.

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pumpernickel Bagels
>
>Recipe By :Alan Zelt
>Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Bread

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 2 Cups warm water
> 230 grams sourdough
> 1 Tablespoon malt syrup
> 1 Tablespoon salt
> 1 Tablespoon caramel coloring powder
> 3 Cups whole rye flour
>
> 1 1/4 Cups White Bread flour
> 1/2 Medium onion, finely chopped
> 2 Tablespoons caraway seed
> 3 quarts water
> 1 Tablespoon malt syrup
> 1 egg yolk
> optional sesame, poppy seeds or caraway seeds for
>topping
>
>Add the warm water, sourdough, caramel coloring powder, and malt syrup in
>mixing bowl , and mix with paddle until mostly dissolved.
>
>Gradually mix in 4 cups of blended flour, salt, 1/2 finely chopped onion and
>caraway seeds. Beat at medium speed for 7 minutes with dough hook.
>
>With spoon add 1 1/4 cups more blended flour to make a stiff dough and
>elastic.
>
>This dough wll be firmer than most yeast breads. Place in a greased bowl,
>cover, let rise until almost doubled (about 1 hour). Knead dough lightly and
>divide into 16 equal pieces. To shape, knead each piece, forming it into a
>smooth ball. Let rest, covered, 15 minutes.
>
>Holding ball with both hands, poke your thumbs through the center. With one
>thumb in hole, work around perimeter, shaping bagel like a doughnut 3 to 3
>1/2 inches across. Place the shaped bagels on baking paper, sprayed with
>fat, upon cookie sheets. Cover with damp towels and let rise for 30 minutes.
>
>Bring the 3 quarts of water and 1 tbls malt syrup to boiling in large
>kettle. Adjust heat to keep it boiling gently.
>
>Heat oven to 500 degrees. Gently lift one bagel at a time and drop into
>water, boil about 4 at a time, turning often, for 3-5 minutes. Lift out with
>slotted spatula, and place on baking sheet.
>
>Brush with glaze made with 1 egg yolk and 1 tbls water. Top with poppy,
>sesame seeds and/or caraway seeds. Bake for 10 minutes. Then rotate and
>bake for an additional 10 minutes.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I'm not very impressed with SF style sourdough bread (personally I
> think it's crap), it's sourdough white bread, not very interesting.

SF "style" sourdough mass produced for the entire country certainly IS
crap and always has been. No surprise there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 10, 12:14*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Well I'm following the no knead sourdough bread recipe I've always
> used except I'm substituting my gluten free flour mix for the regular
> flour.
>
> It is having it's 4 hour rest in the oven with the light on now.
>
> We shall see how it bakes up.

Well, this one was better. But I've still got a long way to go.
Gluten free is tricky.
I did rolls out of this batch because it didn't seem to be rising the
way I wanted it to.
The flavor was excellent, but they were a bit dense and wet on the
inside.

I'm going to keep playing with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 8:21*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:49:54 -0700, "Alan" >
> wrote:
>
> > I'm not very impressed with SF style sourdough bread (personally I
> > think it's crap), it's sourdough white bread, not very interesting.

> SF "style" sourdough mass produced for the entire country certainly IS
> crap and always has been. *No surprise there.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I always liked Franco American when I was down there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:56:46 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On Mar 10, 8:21*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:49:54 -0700, "Alan" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not very impressed with SF style sourdough bread (personally I
> > > think it's crap), it's sourdough white bread, not very interesting.

> > SF "style" sourdough mass produced for the entire country certainly IS
> > crap and always has been. *No surprise there.
> >

> I always liked Franco American when I was down there.

Santa Rosa is two hours away. Can't say Franco American is mass
produced. I don't think I've seen that brand in a grocery store here,
although they may supply certain restaurants. I remember one had a
delicious throwback to the old SF style and they said it was from
Santa Rosa, so maybe it was Franco American.

The old fashioned, crunchy crusted batards and baguettes of SF style
sourdough that was available in every grocery store is gone. Parisian
and Colombo are out of business - gobbled up, Bane style, and closed
down. Boudin is still around, but they've just sell at their outlets
and we never liked it as well as we liked Parisian and Colombo. Now
the choice is between specialty breads that are only available at
small, upscale grocers and chain stores have virtually nothing like
Colombo/Parisian used to be.

We've switched to a cracked wheat sourdough by San Luis Sourdough. We
started off buying it at Trader Joe's and then noticed that Safeway,
Lucky and even Grocery Outlet carry it too, but who cares? It's so
danged good! Hubby loves Acme, but it's one of those things that
isn't ubiquitous - so DD brings him a couple of baguettes when she
comes up for a visit. It's best kept as a rare treat anyway.

gluten free bread falls MisterB Baking 1 25-11-2007 09:02 PM
Gluten Free bread Tim Recipes 0 15-06-2005 03:12 AM
Gluten Free Sourdough ? TG Sourdough 10 29-04-2005 04:05 AM
Seeking gluten-free bread recipes whitewater262 General Cooking 1 17-04-2005 12:43 AM
Gluten Free Sourdough ? TG Sourdough 0 03-04-2005 03:29 AM