Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More on Lamb Shanks

Caught part of an interesting cooking show on PBS this afternoon.
'Secrets of a Chef': Hubert Keller

http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...-Episode-204-A

The addition of fresh cut green beans towards the end of the sauce
looked wonderful. Here's the recipe:

Braised Lamb Shanks Provencal

4 lamb shanks, approximately 1-1/4 pound each
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup pearl onions, peeled
6 baby carrots, peeled and chopped (or 2 regular carrots)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup white wine
1-1/2 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced (or 1 14-oz can diced
tomatoes, drained)
1/2 cup orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
1 sprig fresh parsley
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 2-inch piece celery
3 large basil leaves
1 2-inch piece leek
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups green beans, cut in half
1 cup edamame beans
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Optional: 2 sprigs fresh rosemary

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Season both sides of the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.

In 5-quart soup or casserole pot, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over high
heat until almost smoking. Add shanks and sear 5 minutes on each side
until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add celery, onions, and carrots to same pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Sauté vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes, or until they begin to take on a
light brown color.

Add wine, 1/2 cup tomatoes, orange juice, orange and lemon zests to pan,
and cook for 5 minutes.

Assemble a bouquet garni by placing the parsley, thyme, basil and 2-inch
celery piece inside the 2-inch leek piece, and tying tightly with twine.

Add the stock and bouquet garni to the pan. Return shanks to the pan and
bring liquid to a light simmer. The liquid should not come up more than
halfway up the meat.

Cover and place in oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours turning shanks every 30
minutes until shank meat is very tender and falling off the bone.

Transfer shanks to serving platter and remove the bouquet garni. Cover
the meat with foil to keep warm until the sauce is finished.

Place the pan with the juices back over medium-high heat and bring to a
simmer. Add the green beans, and cook 4-5 minutes or until tender but
still crisp.

Add remaining 1 cup tomato, edamames, and chopped parsley. Heat throughout.

Generously spoon bean mixture and sauce over the shanks and garnish with
sprigs of fresh rosemary, if desired.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:25:32 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Caught part of an interesting cooking show on PBS this afternoon.
> 'Secrets of a Chef': Hubert Keller
>
> http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...-Episode-204-A
>
> The addition of fresh cut green beans towards the end of the sauce
> looked wonderful. Here's the recipe:
>

> Braised Lamb Shanks Provencal

<snip>

I used this recipe last night and it turned out too tomatoey for what
I wanted. Next time I'll double the wine and eliminate the tomato
sauce. I also added a lot of water because I couldn't imagine
simmering lamb shanks for 3 hours and them cooking in what I had.
http://www.dailyunadventuresincookin...k-lamb-shanks/
I loved the spice mixture, but I wasn't sure if I was just supposed to
use what was sprinkled on or dump the rest in the sauce. I just used
what I'd sprinkled on and added more garlic and lots of oregano. Next
time, with eliminating tomato sauce, I'll just dump in all the
seasoning - not sure if I should do it immediately or wait for an hour
or two though... and I'm not going to brown meat that's coated with
spices and flour anymore. I've never liked it and usually don't; but
I wanted to see how this recipe would work for me as written and
sometimes a technique I've opted out of for years turns out to be
something I should start using again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/01/2013 5:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Caught part of an interesting cooking show on PBS this afternoon.
> 'Secrets of a Chef': Hubert Keller
>
> http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...-Episode-204-A
>

> The addition of fresh cut green beans towards the end of the sauce
> looked wonderful. Here's the recipe:
>

> Braised Lamb Shanks Provencal
>
> 4 lamb shanks, approximately 1-1/4 pound each
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
> 2 stalks celery, chopped
> 1 cup pearl onions, peeled
> 6 baby carrots, peeled and chopped (or 2 regular carrots)
> 1 tablespoon olive oil
> 1 cup white wine
> 1-1/2 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced (or 1 14-oz can diced
> tomatoes, drained)
> 1/2 cup orange juice
> Zest of 1 orange
> Zest of 1 lemon
> 1 sprig fresh parsley
> 1 sprig fresh thyme
> 1 2-inch piece celery
> 3 large basil leaves
> 1 2-inch piece leek
> 2 cups chicken stock
> 2 cups green beans, cut in half
> 1 cup edamame beans
> 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
> Optional: 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
>
> Preheat oven to 350° F.
>
> Season both sides of the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
>
> In 5-quart soup or casserole pot, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over high
> heat until almost smoking. Add shanks and sear 5 minutes on each side
> until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
>
> Add celery, onions, and carrots to same pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
> Sauté vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes, or until they begin to take on a
> light brown color.
>
> Add wine, 1/2 cup tomatoes, orange juice, orange and lemon zests to pan,
> and cook for 5 minutes.
>
> Assemble a bouquet garni by placing the parsley, thyme, basil and 2-inch
> celery piece inside the 2-inch leek piece, and tying tightly with twine.
>
> Add the stock and bouquet garni to the pan. Return shanks to the pan and
> bring liquid to a light simmer. The liquid should not come up more than
> halfway up the meat.
>
> Cover and place in oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours turning shanks every 30
> minutes until shank meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
>
> Transfer shanks to serving platter and remove the bouquet garni. Cover
> the meat with foil to keep warm until the sauce is finished.
>
> Place the pan with the juices back over medium-high heat and bring to a
> simmer. Add the green beans, and cook 4-5 minutes or until tender but
> still crisp.
>
> Add remaining 1 cup tomato, edamames, and chopped parsley. Heat throughout.
>
> Generously spoon bean mixture and sauce over the shanks and garnish with
> sprigs of fresh rosemary, if desired.

Interesting.

I know that some people whine about criticism of recipes, but I have a
few issues with this one. First of all, it's too many ingredients.
Lamb shanks are good and don't need 20 more ingredients.

Other issues:
Baby carrots? why not just carrots.... baby carrots if yo have them

Pearl Onions..... not n my neck of the woods. I haven't seen them
forever. I had a fantasy that I found a supply of frozen pearl onions.
No such luck.

White wine?????? with lamb?

A 2 inch piece of celery????... and a 2 inch piece of leek? It doesn't
seem like enough celery to even matter, and I am not going to go out and
get leeks to use 2" of one.

It is probably good, but it looks too anal for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2013 6:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 26/01/2013 5:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Caught part of an interesting cooking show on PBS this afternoon.
>> 'Secrets of a Chef': Hubert Keller
>>
>> http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...-Episode-204-A
>>

>> The addition of fresh cut green beans towards the end of the sauce
>> looked wonderful. Here's the recipe:
>>

>> Braised Lamb Shanks Provencal
>>
>> Transfer shanks to serving platter and remove the bouquet garni. Cover
>> the meat with foil to keep warm until the sauce is finished.
>>
>> Place the pan with the juices back over medium-high heat and bring to a
>> simmer. Add the green beans, and cook 4-5 minutes or until tender but
>> still crisp.
>>
>> Add remaining 1 cup tomato, edamames, and chopped parsley. Heat
>> throughout.
>>
>> Generously spoon bean mixture and sauce over the shanks and garnish with
>> sprigs of fresh rosemary, if desired.
>>

> Interesting.
>
> I know that some people whine about criticism of recipes, but I have a
> few issues with this one. First of all, it's too many ingredients. Lamb
> shanks are good and don't need 20 more ingredients.

Oh, I'd agree with that. I don't generally cook that way.

> Other issues:
> Baby carrots? why not just carrots.... baby carrots if yo have them

I dunno. I'm not a fan of carrots so I'd probably shred them.

> Pearl Onions..... not n my neck of the woods. I haven't seen them
> forever. I had a fantasy that I found a supply of frozen pearl onions.
> No such luck.

LOL! This is where my neck of the woods comes in handy! I often buy a
small bag of pearl onions for making stews and the like. Love 'em!

> White wine?????? with lamb?

<shrugs> why not? Use red if you like.

> A 2 inch piece of celery????... and a 2 inch piece of leek? It doesn't
> seem like enough celery to even matter, and I am not going to go out and
> get leeks to use 2" of one.

Yes, that I agree with. Then again, I didn't write the recipe. I'd
cook more shanks at once and use a couple of ribs of celery and a couple
of leeks (white part), diced.

> It is probably good, but it looks too anal for me.

Considering I don't care for cooking shows on The Food Network which are
mostly silly "celebrity" chefs, it was fun to discover PBS has started
showing cooking shows on weekends again. Brings me back full circle to
when I really got interested in cooking.

I get two PBS television stations, one from South Carolina and one from
Georgia.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:25:50 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Pearl Onions..... not n my neck of the woods. I haven't seen them
> forever. I had a fantasy that I found a supply of frozen pearl onions.
> No such luck.
>
> White wine?????? with lamb?
>

> A 2 inch piece of celery????... and a 2 inch piece of leek? It doesn't
> seem like enough celery to even matter, and I am not going to go out and
> get leeks to use 2" of one.

That's what's nice about Trader Joe's. They have pearl onions and
(prewashed, sliced) leeks in the freezer section.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:25:01 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:25:50 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> Pearl Onions..... not n my neck of the woods. I haven't seen them
>> forever. I had a fantasy that I found a supply of frozen pearl onions.
>> No such luck.
>>
>> White wine?????? with lamb?
>>

>> A 2 inch piece of celery????... and a 2 inch piece of leek? It doesn't
>> seem like enough celery to even matter, and I am not going to go out and
>> get leeks to use 2" of one.
>>

>That's what's nice about Trader Joe's. They have pearl onions and
>(prewashed, sliced) leeks in the freezer section.

I've tried every place else and no pearl onions, frozen or otherwise.
I haven't been to Whole Foods yet and they better not let me down.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:36:02 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:25:01 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:25:50 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Pearl Onions..... not n my neck of the woods. I haven't seen them
> >> forever. I had a fantasy that I found a supply of frozen pearl onions.
> >> No such luck.
> >>
> >> White wine?????? with lamb?
> >>

> >> A 2 inch piece of celery????... and a 2 inch piece of leek? It doesn't
> >> seem like enough celery to even matter, and I am not going to go out and
> >> get leeks to use 2" of one.
> >>

> >That's what's nice about Trader Joe's. They have pearl onions and
> >(prewashed, sliced) leeks in the freezer section.

> I've tried every place else and no pearl onions, frozen or otherwise.
> I haven't been to Whole Foods yet and they better not let me down.

Give them a call first! The last time I needed something, I called
first to see if they had any. They not only had what I wanted, but
the produce person weighed out and packed *exactly* the amount I
wanted and had it waiting at the customer service desk; so all hubby
had to do was pick it up and pay for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:47:29 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:36:02 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

snip

>> I've tried every place else and no pearl onions, frozen or otherwise.
>> I haven't been to Whole Foods yet and they better not let me down.

>Give them a call first! The last time I needed something, I called
>first to see if they had any. They not only had what I wanted, but
>the produce person weighed out and packed *exactly* the amount I
>wanted and had it waiting at the customer service desk; so all hubby
>had to do was pick it up and pay for it.

Nice. . .I have to go next door to Walgreens on Tuesday so I'll just
do some window shopping at WF.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've tried every place else and no pearl onions, frozen or otherwise.
> I haven't been to Whole Foods yet and they better not let me down.

Have you tried chain supermarkets? I've seen them many times, both C&W and
Birdseye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:16:21 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I've tried every place else and no pearl onions, frozen or otherwise.
>> I haven't been to Whole Foods yet and they better not let me down.

>Have you tried chain supermarkets? I've seen them many times, both C&W and
>Birdseye.

I know, I used to see them in any supermarket at any time -- Birdseye
especially. Not any more. Around here, our supermarket buyers decide
what we want. 87 different varieties of soda and power drinks and
bottled water, but damn hard to find stuff regularly referred to in
magazine recipes and cooking shows. Pah!
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:25:47 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:16:21 -0500, George M. Middius
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> >> I've tried every place else and no pearl onions, frozen or otherwise.
> >> I haven't been to Whole Foods yet and they better not let me down.

> >Have you tried chain supermarkets? I've seen them many times, both C&W and
> >Birdseye.
> >

> I know, I used to see them in any supermarket at any time -- Birdseye
> especially. Not any more. Around here, our supermarket buyers decide
> what we want. 87 different varieties of soda and power drinks and
> bottled water, but damn hard to find stuff regularly referred to in
> magazine recipes and cooking shows. Pah!
> Janet US

It's beyond ridiculous when you have to go on a safari just to find
something ordinary, isn't it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> White wine?????? with lamb?

> I have seen that combo before, but I forget where. It isn't as uncommon
> as you would think. I think I saw it in a French cookbook...and if I
> remember hazily, the dish also had anchovies. It sounded good to me at
> the time.

White wine is used when you don't want an assertive wine taste, but you want
alcohol for some reason. (For example, some flavor components of tomatoes
are enhanced by alcohol.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> It's beyond ridiculous when you have to go on a safari just to find
> something ordinary, isn't it?

TJ has little frozen onions. Pass it on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/01/2013 2:42 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 09:19:19 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:

>>> I have seen that combo before, but I forget where. It isn't as uncommon
>>> as you would think. I think I saw it in a French cookbook...and if I
>>> remember hazily, the dish also had anchovies. It sounded good to me at
>>> the time.

>> White wine is used when you don't want an assertive wine taste, but you want
>> alcohol for some reason. (For example, some flavor components of tomatoes
>> are enhanced by alcohol.)
>>
>> Bob

> Dave Smith was the one who questioned white wine in this dish, not me.

Yep. I did.... and I still do. Lamb shanks have a strong meaty taste
and I think white wine is kind of meek to be using with them. I used to
use that recipe with the caramelized onions, cinammon, chick peas etc...
which is very good, but lately I have been using a much easier method,
braising them in a mixture of dark beer and beef broth. It is a lot less
work and they always turn out beautifully.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2013 12:03 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:25:47 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:16:21 -0500, George M. Middius
>> > wrote:

>>> Have you tried chain supermarkets? I've seen them many times, both C&W and
>>> Birdseye.
>>>

>> I know, I used to see them in any supermarket at any time -- Birdseye
>> especially. Not any more. Around here, our supermarket buyers decide
>> what we want. 87 different varieties of soda and power drinks and
>> bottled water, but damn hard to find stuff regularly referred to in
>> magazine recipes and cooking shows. Pah!
>> Janet US

> It's beyond ridiculous when you have to go on a safari just to find
> something ordinary, isn't it?

Absolutely! I'm very fortunate in that the Publix where I shop nearly
always has pearl onions. I'll have to see if they also have frozen ones.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Baby carrots? why not just carrots.... baby carrots if yo have them

On the show he said he thinks they're sweeter.

> A 2 inch piece of celery????... and a 2 inch piece of leek? It
> doesn't seem like enough celery to even matter, and I am not going to
> go out and get leeks to use 2" of one.

He used no leeks at all. Chopped celery went into the stock with carrots
and onions.

The bundle of herbs had parsley, basil, thyme, and a sprig of celery _leaf_.

Often, for a lot of shows, the printed recipe doesn't seem right for one
reason or another.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:25:50 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> [...]

> > Place the pan with the juices back over medium-high heat and bring to a

> > simmer. Add the green beans, and cook 4-5 minutes or until tender but

> > still crisp.

> > Add remaining 1 cup tomato, edamames, and chopped parsley. Heat throughout.

> > Generously spoon bean mixture and sauce over the shanks and garnish with

> > sprigs of fresh rosemary, if desired.

> Interesting.
>

> I know that some people whine about criticism of recipes, but I have a
>
> few issues with this one. First of all, it's too many ingredients.
>
> Lamb shanks are good and don't need 20 more ingredients.
>

> Other issues:
>
> Baby carrots? why not just carrots.... baby carrots if yo have them
>

> Pearl Onions..... not n my neck of the woods. I haven't seen them
>
> forever. I had a fantasy that I found a supply of frozen pearl onions.

That's the only part I didn't think ridiculous. If I were to marinate lamb in wine, it would be white. If I were to drink wine with lamb, it would be white. I do neither, but if I had to.

> A 2 inch piece of celery????... and a 2 inch piece of leek? It doesn't
>
> seem like enough celery to even matter, and I am not going to go out and
>
> get leeks to use 2" of one.

I couldn't have said it better myself, except for the wine part.

> It is probably good, but it looks too anal for me.

The whole "recipe" thing is pretty bullshit. I mean, you look at them for ideas, but some of the best recipes are three--four--five ingredients.

Recipes are great for baking. My wife baked a lovely cake today. She followed the instructions in The Cake Bible, and it turned out perfect.

For entrees, the whole *teaspoon of this, half cup of that*, seems absurd. Ditto, a zillion ingredients. A decent cook should just have a feel, and a dish should not have an exact balance of seasonings, and calling for tiny amounts of this and that is unworkable.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:49:50 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:
snip

>The whole "recipe" thing is pretty bullshit. I mean, you look at them for ideas, but some of the best recipes are three--four--five ingredients.
>
>Recipes are great for baking. My wife baked a lovely cake today. She followed the instructions in The Cake Bible, and it turned out perfect.
>
>For entrees, the whole *teaspoon of this, half cup of that*, seems absurd. Ditto, a zillion ingredients. A decent cook should just have a feel, and a dish should not have an exact balance of seasonings, and calling for tiny amounts of this and that is unworkable.
>
>--Bryan

Recipes are a means of communication. If I ask my mother how to cook
something, she would probably say 'about a teaspoon' or 'a couple of
pieces of something'. That just doesn't share well with others.
Recipes for cooking are targets to get you going in the right
direction.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> Recipes for cooking are targets to get you going in the right
> direction.

Perfect) I rarely stick to a recipe
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>
> > Recipes for cooking are targets to get you going in the right
> > direction.

> Perfect) I rarely stick to a recipe

I usually stick to a recipe the first time. If it's worth doing again, I'll
often make a few changes after that.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Recipes for cooking are targets to get you going in the right
>> > direction.

>> Perfect) I rarely stick to a recipe

> I usually stick to a recipe the first time. If it's worth doing again,
> I'll
> often make a few changes after that.

I usually do, unless it has something in it that we definitely will not eat
.... ie hot spices.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/01/2013 10:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Recipes are a means of communication. If I ask my mother how to cook
> something, she would probably say 'about a teaspoon' or 'a couple of
> pieces of something'. That just doesn't share well with others.
> Recipes for cooking are targets to get you going in the right
> direction.

Proper amounts are more important when baking than when roasting or
braising. Even methods can be questionable. I always stick to recipes
for baking. When I make cookies I makes sure to cream the fat and sugar
first, then add eggs and vanilla, then the dry ingredients. One day I
came home from work and was upset to find my son making a batch of
bookies. He was about 12 or 13 at the time. He had put everything in a
bowl and was just starting to beat everything together. I was upset
about the waste of the ingredients for something that wasn't going to
turn out. I was wrong. They turned out great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2013 9:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 27/01/2013 10:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

>> Recipes are a means of communication. If I ask my mother how to cook
>> something, she would probably say 'about a teaspoon' or 'a couple of
>> pieces of something'. That just doesn't share well with others.
>> Recipes for cooking are targets to get you going in the right
>> direction.

> Proper amounts are more important when baking than when roasting or
> braising. Even methods can be questionable. I always stick to recipes
> for baking. When I make cookies I makes sure to cream the fat and sugar
> first, then add eggs and vanilla, then the dry ingredients. One day I
> came home from work and was upset to find my son making a batch of
> bookies. He was about 12 or 13 at the time. He had put everything in a
> bowl and was just starting to beat everything together. I was upset
> about the waste of the ingredients for something that wasn't going to
> turn out. I was wrong. They turned out great.

What a lovely story! And kudos to your son for taking the initiative

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 06:36:34 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Recipes for cooking are targets to get you going in the right
>> > direction.

>> Perfect) I rarely stick to a recipe

>I usually stick to a recipe the first time. If it's worth doing again, I'll
>often make a few changes after that.
>
>Gary

I do too. If you don't stick to the recipe at least the first time,
how will you ever know what it is supposed to be? Mostly I don't
change them if I like them.
Janet US