Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb shanks

I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
repeating.

3 or 4 lamb shanks
2 rashers bacon chopped
2 Level Tblspns flour
1 and a half C water
1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
1 level tspn dry mustard pdr
1 tin tomato puree ( I substituted a 400g tin of tom pieces and a couple of
Tblspns of Tom paste)
1 level Tblspn brown sugar
half a C white vinegar
1 sliced onion
1 level tspn salt
Fry chopped bacon and shanks rolled in flour. Drain and place in casserole.
Combine puree, water, sauce, vinegar, mustard, sliced onion and remaining
flour and pour over shanks. Cover and cook in moderate oven until tender,
approx 2 hours.

The remaining 'sauce' was thinned down with water and eaten as a 'soup' the
next day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
> repeating.
>
> 3 or 4 lamb shanks
> 2 rashers bacon chopped
> 2 Level Tblspns flour
> 1 and a half C water
> 1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
> 1 level tspn dry mustard pdr
> 1 tin tomato puree ( I substituted a 400g tin of tom pieces and a couple of
> Tblspns of Tom paste)
> 1 level Tblspn brown sugar
> half a C white vinegar
> 1 sliced onion
> 1 level tspn salt
> Fry chopped bacon and shanks rolled in flour. Drain and place in casserole.
> Combine puree, water, sauce, vinegar, mustard, sliced onion and remaining
> flour and pour over shanks. Cover and cook in moderate oven until tender,
> approx 2 hours.
>
> The remaining 'sauce' was thinned down with water and eaten as a 'soup' the
> next day.

That looks delicious! I'm still chasing the flavor of the "Baby Leg
of Lamb" I used to order at a long gone Armenian restaurant. The next
time I make lamb shanks, I'll try cooking them with some red wine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>repeating.

snip
I'm so glad you mentioned lamb parts. You caused me to clean out the
freezer on top of the fridge to find the package of lamb neck bones I
had in there somewhere. You know how the fridge/freezer can get out of
control during the holiday season. I'd forgotten that I had them. I
use them to make a sort of stew that is just for me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>repeating.

We raised sheep for many years and loved lamb cooked many ways. It's
just too bad that there's only two shanks per lamb or we'd have had
them more often (couldn't afford to butcher 3 lambs at the same time
just so we could have half a dozen shanks).
Time consuming, but this is a great recipe for lamb shanks:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Shanks-105869

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2013 11:32 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>> repeating.

> snip
> I'm so glad you mentioned lamb parts. You caused me to clean out the
> freezer on top of the fridge to find the package of lamb neck bones I
> had in there somewhere. You know how the fridge/freezer can get out of
> control during the holiday season. I'd forgotten that I had them. I
> use them to make a sort of stew that is just for me.
> Janet US

I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
and lamb shanks talk makes me want to look for oxtails. I love oxtail
soup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:56:04 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/20/2013 11:32 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>>> repeating.

>> snip
>> I'm so glad you mentioned lamb parts. You caused me to clean out the
>> freezer on top of the fridge to find the package of lamb neck bones I
>> had in there somewhere. You know how the fridge/freezer can get out of
>> control during the holiday season. I'd forgotten that I had them. I
>> use them to make a sort of stew that is just for me.
>> Janet US
>>

>I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
>and lamb shanks talk makes me want to look for oxtails. I love oxtail
>soup
>
>Jill

me too. I'd love to know what they cost where you are. The last
decent ones I was able to get was a restaurant pack that I got at Cash
and Carry. Really nice meaty ones. Pretty expensive here.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>> repeating.
>>
>> 3 or 4 lamb shanks
>> 2 rashers bacon chopped
>> 2 Level Tblspns flour
>> 1 and a half C water
>> 1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
>> 1 level tspn dry mustard pdr
>> 1 tin tomato puree ( I substituted a 400g tin of tom pieces and a couple
>> of
>> Tblspns of Tom paste)
>> 1 level Tblspn brown sugar
>> half a C white vinegar
>> 1 sliced onion
>> 1 level tspn salt
>> Fry chopped bacon and shanks rolled in flour. Drain and place in
>> casserole.
>> Combine puree, water, sauce, vinegar, mustard, sliced onion and remaining
>> flour and pour over shanks. Cover and cook in moderate oven until
>> tender,
>> approx 2 hours.
>>
>> The remaining 'sauce' was thinned down with water and eaten as a 'soup'
>> the
>> next day.
>>

> That looks delicious!

It was and I was rather surprised by how good it was. I've treid lots of
other shank recipes but have alwyays gone back to the usual way I cook them
which is in a mix of soy sauce, maple syprup and beef stock. The new recipe
is a keeper.

I'm still chasing the flavor of the "Baby Leg
> of Lamb" I used to order at a long gone Armenian restaurant. The next
> time I make lamb shanks, I'll try cooking them with some red wine.

The would have an affinity with red wine. did the Armenian Baby leg of lamb
(even the name of which sounds good) use red wine?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>>I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>>repeating.

> snip
> I'm so glad you mentioned lamb parts. You caused me to clean out the
> freezer on top of the fridge to find the package of lamb neck bones I
> had in there somewhere. You know how the fridge/freezer can get out of
> control during the holiday season. I'd forgotten that I had them. I
> use them to make a sort of stew that is just for me.

Do the neck bones have enough meat on them to make an Irish Stew? I love a
good Irish stew made with lamb neck chops but it's at it's best when it's 3
days old.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>>I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>>repeating.

> We raised sheep for many years and loved lamb cooked many ways. It's
> just too bad that there's only two shanks per lamb or we'd have had
> them more often (couldn't afford to butcher 3 lambs at the same time
> just so we could have half a dozen shanks).
> Time consuming, but this is a great recipe for lamb shanks:
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Shanks-105869

That does sound good. But if I was cooking it for just us two, I'd only use
2 shanks in the same amount of sauce and then just use the left over sauce
to make something else with (if there was any) - maybe incorporate it into a
beef stew or somesuch??

The left over sauce from the recipe I posted made a great soup cut with
water and I think that left over sauce in the recipe you posted would have a
similar use depending on what it tastes like in the end (if there was any
left over after that amount of time cooking).

I think that recipe would also work in a slow cooker too. It doens't look
like there is a lot of liquid for 6 shanks in the oven for so long and I'm
not a big fan of oven heat on unsubmerged shanks and there could be a
possibility they might be a bit dry. Interesting recipe though, and I have
bookmarked it to try sometime so thanks for posting it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:11:42 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

> The would have an affinity with red wine. did the Armenian Baby leg of lamb
> (even the name of which sounds good) use red wine?

I have absolutely no memory. I was in my late teens, early twenties
and I don't think the menu was very descriptive or else I wouldn't be
on this lifelong quest. I even had to find out from a butcher what
"baby" leg of lamb was.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:11:42 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> The would have an affinity with red wine. did the Armenian Baby leg of
>> lamb
>> (even the name of which sounds good) use red wine?

> I have absolutely no memory.

Oh blast! I know what you mean. I used to make a beef and pickled walnuts
dish and it was superb and had the most unique piquant flavour but for some
reason the recipe disappeared and do you think I can find it?

I was in my late teens, early twenties
> and I don't think the menu was very descriptive or else I wouldn't be
> on this lifelong quest. I even had to find out from a butcher what
> "baby" leg of lamb was.

Ah! and you can't find any convenient Armenian to ask? ;-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:13:17 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>>>repeating.

>> snip
>> I'm so glad you mentioned lamb parts. You caused me to clean out the
>> freezer on top of the fridge to find the package of lamb neck bones I
>> had in there somewhere. You know how the fridge/freezer can get out of
>> control during the holiday season. I'd forgotten that I had them. I
>> use them to make a sort of stew that is just for me.

>Do the neck bones have enough meat on them to make an Irish Stew? I love a
>good Irish stew made with lamb neck chops but it's at it's best when it's 3
>days old.

I wouldn't consider it so. Being that the meal is just for me, I can
just pick the good stuff from between the bones and savor the flavor
that is imparted to the sauce that I put over rice.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2013 7:15 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:56:04 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/20/2013 11:32 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> snip
>>> I'm so glad you mentioned lamb parts. You caused me to clean out the
>>> freezer on top of the fridge to find the package of lamb neck bones I
>>> had in there somewhere. You know how the fridge/freezer can get out of
>>> control during the holiday season. I'd forgotten that I had them. I
>>> use them to make a sort of stew that is just for me.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
>> and lamb shanks talk makes me want to look for oxtails. I love oxtail
>> soup
>>
>> Jill

> me too. I'd love to know what they cost where you are. The last
> decent ones I was able to get was a restaurant pack that I got at Cash
> and Carry. Really nice meaty ones. Pretty expensive here.
> Janet US

Just for you, Janet, I called Publix. They don't have any oxtails right
now. They're expecting some in this week. The price is $5.49/lb.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2013 7:28 PM, wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:15:43 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:56:04 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
>>> and lamb shanks talk makes me want to look for oxtails. I love oxtail
>>> soup
>>>
>>> Jill

>> me too. I'd love to know what they cost where you are. The last
>> decent ones I was able to get was a restaurant pack that I got at Cash
>> and Carry. Really nice meaty ones. Pretty expensive here.
>> Janet US

> I cooked some yesterday, five of the larger sections $12. Not that
> many years ago people didn't care for them and they were sold
> very cheaply, not so anymore. Then again, marrow bones you just asked
> the butcher and he gave them to you for soup making, now they are $2/3
> a pair. I'm in eastern Canada.

I'm probably not old enough to remember the butcher giving out marrow
bones. (If I was and they did, it never occurred to me to ask.) I *am*
old enough to remember when oxtails were dirt cheap.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:09:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/20/2013 7:15 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:56:04 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
>>> and lamb shanks talk makes me want to look for oxtails. I love oxtail
>>> soup
>>>
>>> Jill

>> me too. I'd love to know what they cost where you are. The last
>> decent ones I was able to get was a restaurant pack that I got at Cash
>> and Carry. Really nice meaty ones. Pretty expensive here.
>> Janet US
>>

>Just for you, Janet, I called Publix. They don't have any oxtails right
>now. They're expecting some in this week. The price is $5.49/lb.
>
>Jill

Thanks for checking, Jill. I still remember when you told me you
could get a whole tail at your grocery store in TN. You really made
me jealous with that one.
Ah, well, they're expensive for you too. What upsets me, is that for
the $5.49/lb, I will get little, tiny (like human finger bones) pieces
of bone with no meat, fat or connective tissue on them. I want the
tea cup size tails with lots of meat between the wings of the bones.
I've got to ask Cash and Carry if they can get some in for me. A
restaurant pack is over $50, but it is worth it. It is a little
tricky to break the pack apart into family-size amounts, but I can
manage with some of my husband's tools ;o)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2013 10:15 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:09:44 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/20/2013 7:15 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> me too. I'd love to know what they cost where you are. The last
>>> decent ones I was able to get was a restaurant pack that I got at Cash
>>> and Carry. Really nice meaty ones. Pretty expensive here.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Just for you, Janet, I called Publix. They don't have any oxtails right
>> now. They're expecting some in this week. The price is $5.49/lb.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks for checking, Jill. I still remember when you told me you
> could get a whole tail at your grocery store in TN. You really made
> me jealous with that one.

I haven't seen any *that* meaty in ensuing years. Or as inexpensive.

> Ah, well, they're expensive for you too. What upsets me, is that for
> the $5.49/lb, I will get little, tiny (like human finger bones) pieces
> of bone with no meat, fat or connective tissue on them.

I'll have to look at them, but I'm sure you're right. Oxtail soup
requires a nice ratio of meat & fat to the bone. These are already
disjointed.

> tea cup size tails with lots of meat between the wings of the bones.
> I've got to ask Cash and Carry if they can get some in for me. A
> restaurant pack is over $50, but it is worth it. It is a little
> tricky to break the pack apart into family-size amounts, but I can
> manage with some of my husband's tools ;o)
> Janet US

Power tools? Even with my freezer and love of soup I don't need a huge
package of oxtails. I doubt I could find them in restaurant size
packages. Still, I do love oxtail soup/stew. Very hearty.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:41:33 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

> Ah! and you can't find any convenient Armenian to ask? ;-))

I did find a helpful Armenian home cooking web site, but alas - it was
no help with my elusive lamb. However, a topic over in the UK group
drifted over to lamb osso bucco a few weeks ago and that's when I had
the epiphany about red wine. I just haven't had the time to try it
yet - partially due to having a lot of holiday leftovers to consume
and mainly because I had so many other things I wanted to cook after
the holidays that were already in line ahead of it.

I'm not sure why people are getting their panties in a knot because
osso bucco is being made with other meats now. Here is the
introduction to one version of lamb osso bucco served on a bed of
creamy polenta: Ossobuco is Italian for "bone hole" and the dish is
originally made with braised veal shanks. This version is made with
lamb shanks.

I don't make saltimbocca with veal either. I use chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 1/20/2013 11:32 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
> >> repeating.

> > snip
> > I'm so glad you mentioned lamb parts. You caused me to clean out the
> > freezer on top of the fridge to find the package of lamb neck bones I
> > had in there somewhere. You know how the fridge/freezer can get out of
> > control during the holiday season. I'd forgotten that I had them. I
> > use them to make a sort of stew that is just for me.
> > Janet US
> >

> I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
> and lamb shanks talk makes me want to look for oxtails. I love oxtail
> soup

I went to a new grocery store (for me) the other day that is focused
on the Mexican segment of the population and they had huge ox tails at
a price that wouldn't require a new mortgage on the house. I don't
understand how stores can get away with charging so much for things
like ox tails and lamb shanks, but they do and they have for so long
that I can barely remember when those things were sold cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:15:43 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I'd love to know what they cost where you are. The last
> decent ones I was able to get was a restaurant pack that I got at Cash
> and Carry. Really nice meaty ones. Pretty expensive here.

They're expensive here too. Wish I'd noticed the price on what I saw
the other day, but I was focused on something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:08:43 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/21/2013 10:15 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:09:44 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

snip

>I'll have to look at them, but I'm sure you're right. Oxtail soup
>requires a nice ratio of meat & fat to the bone. These are already
>disjointed.
>
>> tea cup size tails with lots of meat between the wings of the bones.
>> I've got to ask Cash and Carry if they can get some in for me. A
>> restaurant pack is over $50, but it is worth it. It is a little
>> tricky to break the pack apart into family-size amounts, but I can
>> manage with some of my husband's tools ;o)
>> Janet US
>>

>Power tools? Even with my freezer and love of soup I don't need a huge
>package of oxtails. I doubt I could find them in restaurant size
>packages. Still, I do love oxtail soup/stew. Very hearty.
>
>Jill

No power tools, just a short pry bar and maybe a hammer or something.
Because the tails are round, there are spaces where you can get
between to pry the frozen tails apart in serviceable chunks.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:14:31 -0800, sf > wrote:
snip

>I went to a new grocery store (for me) the other day that is focused
>on the Mexican segment of the population and they had huge ox tails at
>a price that wouldn't require a new mortgage on the house. I don't
>understand how stores can get away with charging so much for things
>like ox tails and lamb shanks, but they do and they have for so long
>that I can barely remember when those things were sold cheap.

Really? A Mexican grocery store . . . I can do that, there are plenty
of those around. Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2013 11:14 AM, sf wrote:
>> I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
>> >and lamb shanks talk makes me want to look for oxtails. I love oxtail
>> >soup
>> >

> I went to a new grocery store (for me) the other day that is focused
> on the Mexican segment of the population and they had huge ox tails at
> a price that wouldn't require a new mortgage on the house. I don't
> understand how stores can get away with charging so much for things
> like ox tails and lamb shanks, but they do and they have for so long
> that I can barely remember when those things were sold cheap.

I suppose supply and demand. I used to get lamb shanks very cheaply.
Also ox tails. To me it's weird that chicken wings are so darned expensive.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:17:34 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 1/21/2013 11:14 AM, sf wrote:
> >> I don't have the freezer out of hand thing. But all this soup and stew
> >> >

> > I went to a new grocery store (for me) the other day that is focused
> > on the Mexican segment of the population and they had huge ox tails at
> > a price that wouldn't require a new mortgage on the house. I don't
> > understand how stores can get away with charging so much for things
> > like ox tails and lamb shanks, but they do and they have for so long
> > that I can barely remember when those things were sold cheap.

> I suppose supply and demand. I used to get lamb shanks very cheaply.
> Also ox tails. To me it's weird that chicken wings are so darned expensive.

It makes sense with the popularity of "buffalo wings".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This thread prompts me to add my own simple recipe for lamb shanks. I
didn't notice there being any rosemary in any of the recipes mentioned
so far and, for me, that is an important flavouring for lamb. This takes
little time to prepare but it can then to be left to cook on its own
until you are ready.

2 lamb shanks
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, cut in half-inch rounds
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs rosemary
1 dried chilli
quarter pint of stock (beef or lamb), heated to boiling
salt to taste

Heat some oil in a saucepan. Seal the ends of the lamb shanks for half a
minute or so. Transfer to a slow-cooker/crockpot. Then cook the onions
and garlic in the oil until translucent and transfer them to the
crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the lamb, onions and garlic
and then top the crockpot up with boiling water. Make sure that anything
you add to the crockpot is hot! Let it simmer for at least four hours
but it doesn't matter it you go over this. We usually eat it with fresh
bread

The above directions are not prescriptive - it's just the way I do it.
Since it is such a simple recipe you can add other ingredients according
to your taste. (I no longer add garlic as my wife cannot tolerate it any
more but it still has a good rounded flavour.)

The next day we reduce the remaining liquid to about half and make soup
out of it (as Farm1 did!).

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/01/2013 1:41 PM, David Rance wrote:
> This thread prompts me to add my own simple recipe for lamb shanks. I
> didn't notice there being any rosemary in any of the recipes mentioned
> so far and, for me, that is an important flavouring for lamb. This takes
> little time to prepare but it can then to be left to cook on its own
> until you are ready.
>
> 2 lamb shanks
> 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 2 carrots, cut in half-inch rounds
> 2 bay leaves
> 2 sprigs rosemary
> 1 dried chilli
> quarter pint of stock (beef or lamb), heated to boiling
> salt to taste
>
> Heat some oil in a saucepan. Seal the ends of the lamb shanks for half a
> minute or so. Transfer to a slow-cooker/crockpot. Then cook the onions
> and garlic in the oil until translucent and transfer them to the
> crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the lamb, onions and garlic
> and then top the crockpot up with boiling water. Make sure that anything
> you add to the crockpot is hot! Let it simmer for at least four hours
> but it doesn't matter it you go over this. We usually eat it with fresh
> bread
>
> The above directions are not prescriptive - it's just the way I do it.
> Since it is such a simple recipe you can add other ingredients according
> to your taste. (I no longer add garlic as my wife cannot tolerate it any
> more but it still has a good rounded flavour.)

That is similar to my preferred method but I a few things different.
First of all, I use a large pot to sear the shanks. I then remove them
and saute chopped onion, celery, carrots and a couple cloves of garlic.
Put the shanks back in and add a bottle of dark ale and a cup or two of
broth and a sprig of thyme.

If you want to try something a little more involved but well the effort,
try my signature dish on the RFC web site,

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/D...%20Onions.html

> The next day we reduce the remaining liquid to about half and make soup
> out of it (as Farm1 did!).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:09:44 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 1/20/2013 7:15 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> me too. I'd love to know what they cost where you are. The last
>>> decent ones I was able to get was a restaurant pack that I got at Cash
>>> and Carry. Really nice meaty ones. Pretty expensive here.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>Just for you, Janet, I called Publix. They don't have any oxtails right
>>now. They're expecting some in this week. The price is $5.49/lb.
>>
>>Jill

> Thanks for checking, Jill. I still remember when you told me you
> could get a whole tail at your grocery store in TN. You really made
> me jealous with that one.
> Ah, well, they're expensive for you too. What upsets me, is that for
> the $5.49/lb, I will get little, tiny (like human finger bones) pieces
> of bone with no meat, fat or connective tissue on them. I want the
> tea cup size tails with lots of meat between the wings of the bones.
> I've got to ask Cash and Carry if they can get some in for me. A
> restaurant pack is over $50, but it is worth it. It is a little
> tricky to break the pack apart into family-size amounts, but I can
> manage with some of my husband's tools ;o)

Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:08:43 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 1/21/2013 10:15 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:09:44 -0500, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:

> snip
>>
>>I'll have to look at them, but I'm sure you're right. Oxtail soup
>>requires a nice ratio of meat & fat to the bone. These are already
>>disjointed.
>>
>>> tea cup size tails with lots of meat between the wings of the bones.
>>> I've got to ask Cash and Carry if they can get some in for me. A
>>> restaurant pack is over $50, but it is worth it. It is a little
>>> tricky to break the pack apart into family-size amounts, but I can
>>> manage with some of my husband's tools ;o)
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>Power tools? Even with my freezer and love of soup I don't need a huge
>>package of oxtails. I doubt I could find them in restaurant size
>>packages. Still, I do love oxtail soup/stew. Very hearty.
>>
>>Jill

> No power tools, just a short pry bar and maybe a hammer or something.
> Because the tails are round, there are spaces where you can get
> between to pry the frozen tails apart in serviceable chunks.

Just use secateurs or branch loppers. Both would do the job easier than a
hammer and a pry bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]
>>
>>2 lamb shanks
>>1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
>>2 cloves garlic, crushed
>>2 carrots, cut in half-inch rounds
>>2 bay leaves
>>2 sprigs rosemary
>>1 dried chilli
>>quarter pint of stock (beef or lamb), heated to boiling
>>salt to taste
>>
>>Heat some oil in a saucepan. Seal the ends of the lamb shanks for half a
>>minute or so. Transfer to a slow-cooker/crockpot. Then cook the onions
>>and garlic in the oil until translucent and transfer them to the
>>crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the lamb, onions and garlic
>>and then top the crockpot up with boiling water. Make sure that anything
>>you add to the crockpot is hot! Let it simmer for at least four hours
>>but it doesn't matter it you go over this. We usually eat it with fresh
>>bread
>>
>>The above directions are not prescriptive - it's just the way I do it.
>>Since it is such a simple recipe you can add other ingredients according
>>to your taste. (I no longer add garlic as my wife cannot tolerate it any
>>more but it still has a good rounded flavour.)
>>
>>The next day we reduce the remaining liquid to about half and make soup
>>out of it (as Farm1 did!).
>>
>>David

> That's pretty much the way I do them but I add a good robust red wine
> as well.
>
> I also love lamb done this way
>
> Afghani Lamb With Spinach
>
> Serving Size: 4
>
> 2 1/2 pounds lamb stew meat
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> 3/4 pound onions, diced large
> 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
> 2 teaspoons tumeric
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
> 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
> 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 (32) ounce can tomatoes, drain & chop
> 1 cup rich brown veal stock or 1 cup rich beef stock
> 1/3 pound fresh spinach, wash & drain
> 1/2 cup yogurt
> 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
> salt, to taste
> 1/4 cup pine nuts, roasted at 350 F for about 3 minutes.
>
> Sear lamb in the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven. Add
> the onions; saute them for 2 minutes; then add the garlic and sauté it
> for 1 minute.
> Put in the turmeric, nutmeg, cardamom, crushed red pepper and
> cinnamon and sauté the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes more, being careful
> not to burn the onions or garlic. Add the tomatoes and veal stock and
> stir.
> Cover the dish and bake at 350 F for about 1 hour, until the meat is
> tender and begins to break up. Remove the dish from the oven and add
> the spinach, stirring until the spinach is wilted and blended in.
>
> Allow the stew to cool slightly. Add the yogurt, lemon peel and salt
> to taste. Sprinkle with roasted pine nuts.
>
> Yield: 4 to 6 servings. Serve over rice pilaf.

Yum. More shank recipes that look worth trying! Thank you David and
Lucretia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:56:55 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:08:43 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> snip
>>>
>>>I'll have to look at them, but I'm sure you're right. Oxtail soup
>>>requires a nice ratio of meat & fat to the bone. These are already
>>>disjointed.

>>>Power tools? Even with my freezer and love of soup I don't need a huge
>>>package of oxtails. I doubt I could find them in restaurant size
>>>packages. Still, I do love oxtail soup/stew. Very hearty.
>>>
>>>Jill

>> No power tools, just a short pry bar and maybe a hammer or something.
>> Because the tails are round, there are spaces where you can get
>> between to pry the frozen tails apart in serviceable chunks.

>Just use secateurs or branch loppers. Both would do the job easier than a
>hammer and a pry bar.

not really. This is a frozen box of 3+-inch thick by 3+ inch across
-- all frozen together in a flat plane. The box is 15 pounds. I'm
not trying to cut the tails into pieces. I'm trying to separate
chunks of pieces into meal-size portions without thawing the whole
pack. There is nothing about this job that branch loppers would
handle.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2013 11:51 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:08:43 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/21/2013 10:15 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:09:44 -0500, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:

> snip
>>
>> I'll have to look at them, but I'm sure you're right. Oxtail soup
>> requires a nice ratio of meat & fat to the bone. These are already
>> disjointed.
>>
>>> tea cup size tails with lots of meat between the wings of the bones.
>>> I've got to ask Cash and Carry if they can get some in for me. A
>>> restaurant pack is over $50, but it is worth it. It is a little
>>> tricky to break the pack apart into family-size amounts, but I can
>>> manage with some of my husband's tools ;o)
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Power tools? Even with my freezer and love of soup I don't need a huge
>> package of oxtails. I doubt I could find them in restaurant size
>> packages. Still, I do love oxtail soup/stew. Very hearty.
>>
>> Jill

> No power tools, just a short pry bar and maybe a hammer or something.
> Because the tails are round, there are spaces where you can get
> between to pry the frozen tails apart in serviceable chunks.
> Janet US

I've never bought them frozen so no reason to use tools to pry them apart.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
> repeating.
>
> 3 or 4 lamb shanks
> 2 rashers bacon chopped
> 2 Level Tblspns flour
> 1 and a half C water
> 1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
> 1 level tspn dry mustard pdr
> 1 tin tomato puree ( I substituted a 400g tin of tom pieces and a couple of
> Tblspns of Tom paste)
> 1 level Tblspn brown sugar
> half a C white vinegar
> 1 sliced onion
> 1 level tspn salt
> Fry chopped bacon and shanks rolled in flour. Drain and place in casserole.
> Combine puree, water, sauce, vinegar, mustard, sliced onion and remaining
> flour and pour over shanks. Cover and cook in moderate oven until tender,
> approx 2 hours.
>
> The remaining 'sauce' was thinned down with water and eaten as a 'soup' the
> next day.

Yum. Now remind me. Are OZ Tbsps FOUR teaspoons?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" wrote in message ...

[...]

Mmmm...That sounds nice, Fran.....I might give it a go........

Barry Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" wrote in message ...

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>> repeating.
>>
>> 3 or 4 lamb shanks
>> 2 rashers bacon chopped
>> 2 Level Tblspns flour
>> 1 and a half C water
>> 1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
>> 1 level tspn dry mustard pdr
>> 1 tin tomato puree ( I substituted a 400g tin of tom pieces and a couple
>> of
>> Tblspns of Tom paste)
>> 1 level Tblspn brown sugar
>> half a C white vinegar
>> 1 sliced onion
>> 1 level tspn salt
>> Fry chopped bacon and shanks rolled in flour. Drain and place in
>> casserole.
>> Combine puree, water, sauce, vinegar, mustard, sliced onion and remaining
>> flour and pour over shanks. Cover and cook in moderate oven until
>> tender,
>> approx 2 hours.
>>
>> The remaining 'sauce' was thinned down with water and eaten as a 'soup'
>> the
>> next day.
>>

> That looks delicious!

It was and I was rather surprised by how good it was. I've treid lots of
other shank recipes but have alwyays gone back to the usual way I cook them
which is in a mix of soy sauce, maple syprup and beef stock. The new recipe
is a keeper.

I'm still chasing the flavor of the "Baby Leg
> of Lamb" I used to order at a long gone Armenian restaurant. The next
> time I make lamb shanks, I'll try cooking them with some red wine.

The would have an affinity with red wine. did the Armenian Baby leg of lamb
(even the name of which sounds good) use red wine?

I wouldn't mind having that recipe, Fran....Sounds an unusual combination,
using Maple Syrup with Soya Sauce!....

Barry Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:38:01 +1100, John J > wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:07:11 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:45:52 +1100, "Farm1" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?
>>>

>>They're few and far between. Something like lamb shanks and oxtails
>>shouldn't be a butcher shop exclusive.

>You must all have adapted to supermarket quality. Convenience over
>quality.

Not *all* but enough to make a butcher-shop a losing proposition in
most communities.

There are also so many regulations [at least in my state, NY], that
actual butchering has become one business-- and carving up and selling
retail is another.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/01/2013 12:07 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:45:52 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?
>>

> They're few and far between. Something like lamb shanks and oxtails
> shouldn't be a butcher shop exclusive.

Years ago I was able to get lamb only at one butcher shop in the city
where we lived. I never saw shanks there. That place is gone now. My
regular butcher does not carry lamb.Mt back-up butcher does not carry
lamb. The only place I can get lamb is at the larger grocery stores, and
they only carry shanks occasionally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 6:45*pm, "Farm1" > wrote:

> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?

I'm lucky having some wonderful food purveyors locally, all in a
fairly small town. There's very little I can't get. These include
some of the best places in the country including the following:

Butcher
Fishmonger
Deli (bread, cheese, salami, oils, vinegars etc.)
Smoked fish and meat

Ann Arbor, MI
http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:34:58 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 22/01/2013 12:07 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:45:52 +1100, "Farm1" >

> > wrote:

> >> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?

> > They're few and far between. Something like lamb shanks and oxtails

> > shouldn't be a butcher shop exclusive.

> Years ago I was able to get lamb only at one butcher shop in the city
>
> where we lived. I never saw shanks there. That place is gone now. My
>
> regular butcher does not carry lamb.Mt back-up butcher does not carry
>
> lamb. The only place I can get lamb is at the larger grocery stores, and
>
> they only carry shanks occasionally.

I buy lamb at the international foods grocer. It's *way* less expensive there than at the supermarket, where it is a specialty item. We're going there this morning because it is a block from my job, and I accidentally brought home the soda machine keys, so I have to return them. It'll be a chance for my wife to go there, which is infrequent. The last brand and type of refrigerated black olives I bought there were so good last night with the lamb, and were only $3.59/half kilo.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2013 12:34 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:17:34 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I went to a new grocery store (for me) the other day that is focused
>>> on the Mexican segment of the population and they had huge ox tails at
>>> a price that wouldn't require a new mortgage on the house. I don't
>>> understand how stores can get away with charging so much for things
>>> like ox tails and lamb shanks, but they do and they have for so long
>>> that I can barely remember when those things were sold cheap.

>> I suppose supply and demand. I used to get lamb shanks very cheaply.
>> Also ox tails. To me it's weird that chicken wings are so darned expensive.
>>

> It makes sense with the popularity of "buffalo wings".

If you watch television you'll see all the ads for "buffalo wings" and
"hot wings" at the chain restaurants. Chicken wings used to be
considered scraps. Go figure.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2013 12:07 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:45:52 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?
>>

> They're few and far between. Something like lamb shanks and oxtails
> shouldn't be a butcher shop exclusive.

And they aren't butcher shop exclusives. There is a "meat market" in
town sort of catty-corner to Publix. No, they aren't (strictly
speaking) a "butcher shop" in that they don't slaughter meat out back.
They buy sides or shanks or legs of whatever. They will custom
cut/grind whatever.

Then again the butcher at the grocery store will also do that. You've
only to ask.

The independent meat market on Lady's Island is much more costly. I'm
all for supporting local businesses but I'm not willing to pay more for
the same meat.

I will say this for the meat market... as a side-line on Saturdays the
owner hauls a big barrel grill out front and sells grilled half chickens
with grilled potatoes and other in-season veggies. He draws a lunch
crowd

His wife (co-owner) is not such a good cook. Last year John and I
dropped by to see what they had in the way of steaks. We were talked
into buying a small package of lasagna she'd made. It *looked* good.
It was the most boring, bland lasagna either of us had ever tasted. I
swear, a can of Chef Boyardee would have had more flavour.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:24:27 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Jan 21, 6:45*pm, "Farm1" > wrote:
>>
>> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?

>I'm lucky having some wonderful food purveyors locally, all in a
>fairly small town. There's very little I can't get. These include
>some of the best places in the country including the following:
>
>Butcher
>Fishmonger
>Deli (bread, cheese, salami, oils, vinegars etc.)
>Smoked fish and meat
>
>Ann Arbor, MI
>http://www.richardfisher.com

If you live in the original bunching area of immigration to the US,
you probably still have access to local butchers, bakers, cheese and
sausage makers. The traditions are strong in these areas and still
reflect their heritage. When you get to the pioneer areas, where
people were interested in claiming land for ranching or gold mining or
to create their fortune, the distances were/are great between
populations, the communities are filled with culturally diverse people
and those pioneers were not really interested in carrying their
culture with them. Distance still has a great deal to do with
accessibility to different kinds of food. Not all of these distances
have been conquered by modern transportation as low levels of
population means that stocking of 'exotic' items won't sell enough to
warrant the outlay.
Janet US