Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Italian Beef Sandwich garnish

I want to get a chuck roast to cook after finding Closet Cooking's Pot
Roast recipe and the subsequent Pot Roast Mushroom Soup that look
delicious.

Before I decided on those, I was thinking about making Italian Beef
Sandwiches. Never having tried it, I have no idea what the flavor
profile is supposed to be but I do know what ingredients we like and
don't like. The bottled giardiniera doesn't look appealing, but I'd
probably like it if I made it. However, I found a pickled onion
recipe this morning that I know I'd eat and I'm wondering if it could
be substituted for the giardiniera on my sandwich (which will also be
topped with Provolone)?

Quick Pickled Onions {ReluctantEntertainer.com}

Ingredients

1 large red onion or Sweet Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
6 T. cider vinegar
2 tsp. sugar (or Agave Nectar to taste)
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. salt

Instructions

Mix together, cover, and let stand at room temperature for a few
hours. Stir occasionally.

Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 8:51*am, sf > wrote:
> I want to get a chuck roast to cook after finding Closet Cooking's Pot
> Roast recipe and the subsequent Pot Roast Mushroom Soup that look
> delicious.
>
> Before I decided on those, I was thinking about making Italian Beef
> Sandwiches. *Never having tried it, I have no idea what the flavor
> profile is supposed to be but I do know what ingredients we like and
> don't like. *The bottled giardiniera doesn't look appealing, but I'd
> probably like it if I made it. *However, I found a pickled onion
> recipe this morning that I know I'd eat and I'm wondering if it could
> be substituted for the giardiniera on my sandwich (which will also be
> topped with Provolone)?
>
> Quick Pickled Onions {ReluctantEntertainer.com}
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 large red onion or Sweet Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
> 6 T. cider vinegar
> 2 tsp. sugar (or Agave Nectar to taste)
> 1 tsp. mustard seeds
> 1/2 tsp. salt
>
> Instructions
>
> Mix together, cover, and let stand at room temperature for a few
> hours. Stir occasionally.
>
> Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Amazing. With the exception of salt, none of those ingredients can be
found in Chicago-style hot giardiniera.

Did you ever go to this Italian food purveyor, that JC Dill reported
on, in ba.food? They carry the Il Primo brand of mild and hot
giardiniera, from Chicago. They sell items in their showroom at
retail.

Brisbane is reasonably close to SF, and you can stop and buy smoking
chunks and charcoal at Lazzari.