Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Make A Good Hot Italian Sausage Sandwich!

wrote:
> Could someone please give me some help on how to make a good hot Italian
> sausage sandwich.

Find a good hot Italian woman. What?

Sheldon Boddabing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> (1) What is the best way to cook the sausage. I was told to just
> brown
> the meat and then put it in a
> pot with the sauce and cook the meat is fully cooked. Does the
> meat have to be brown?

That's how I would do it.

Find a good brand of Italian sausage, I prefer Premio.

> (2) The sauce, any suggestions?

Are you planning on making your own? Or buying it? A good brand
from a jar will be improved by simmering the sausage in it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Could someone please give me some help on how to make a good Italian
> hot sausage sandwich. I admit
> I am not much of a cook so I am asking the group for help. The things I am
> most interested in a
> (1) What is the best way to cook the sausage. I was told to just brown
> the meat and then put it in a
> pot with the sauce and cook the meat is fully cooked. Does the
> meat have to be brown? Is it better
> to use a slow cooker? etc.
> (2) The sauce, any suggestions?
>
> I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you,
> Robert Barch

You need to brown the meat in order to render some of the fat out of it.
Poke the sausages well, all over, with the tip of a sharp paring knife.
Out them in a skillet with maybe 1/4 cup of water and let simmer for 15
minutes or so. Drain off the fat and water into an empty jar and
dispose of. Let the sausage brown in the skillet, turning occasionally.

Meanwhile chop up some onions and peppers and saute them lightly. Drain
the sausage, add the peppers and onions, and either a large can of
tomato sauce or your favorite bottled sauce. Simmer over low heat until
the sausage is tender. If you use tomato sauce, I usually add garlic,
basil, marjoram, fennel and some chopped fresh parsley. Taste and add
red pepper flakes if more heat is needed.

Serve on chewy rolls with some shaved Parmesan. If you don't have any,
please don't use the stuff from the green can.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Could someone please give me some help on how to make a good Italian
> hot sausage sandwich. I admit
> I am not much of a cook so I am asking the group for help. The things I

am
> most interested in a
> (1) What is the best way to cook the sausage. I was told to just

brown
> the meat and then put it in a
> pot with the sauce and cook the meat is fully cooked. Does the
> meat have to be brown? Is it better

I would not cook mine in sauce, they are full of spices.

I cook mine according to the package directions: put them in a frying pan
with a few tablespoons of water and cook covered on medium high
heat for 15 minutes, turning halfway through. Do NOT use a fork, or
otherwise poke holes in them because you want the seasoning to stay in
there. At the end of 15 minutes the water will be gone and they will begin
to brown. Let them go another 10 minutes turning often until they are brown.

> to use a slow cooker? etc.
> (2) The sauce, any suggestions?
>
> I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you,
> Robert Barch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> You need to brown the meat in order to render some of the fat out of it.
> Poke the sausages well, all over, with the tip of a sharp paring knife.
> Out them in a skillet with maybe 1/4 cup of water and let simmer for 15
> minutes or so. Drain off the fat and water into an empty jar and
> dispose of. Let the sausage brown in the skillet, turning occasionally.
>
> Meanwhile chop up some onions and peppers and saute them lightly. Drain
> the sausage, add the peppers and onions, and either a large can of
> tomato sauce or your favorite bottled sauce. Simmer over low heat until
> the sausage is tender. If you use tomato sauce, I usually add garlic,
> basil, marjoram, fennel and some chopped fresh parsley. Taste and add
> red pepper flakes if more heat is needed.
>
> Serve on chewy rolls with some shaved Parmesan. If you don't have any,
> please don't use the stuff from the green can.
>
> gloria p

I cook them like Gloria does. And yes, I do poke holes in them to
render some of the fat out, but the seasonings and flavor stay inside.
Mmmmmmmmm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > Could someone please give me some help on how to make a good Italian
> > hot sausage sandwich. I admit
> > I am not much of a cook so I am asking the group for help. The things I

> am
> > most interested in a
> > (1) What is the best way to cook the sausage. I was told to just

> brown
> > the meat and then put it in a
> > pot with the sauce and cook the meat is fully cooked. Does the
> > meat have to be brown? Is it better

> I would not cook mine in sauce, they are full of spices.
>
> I cook mine according to the package directions: put them in a frying pan
> with a few tablespoons of water and cook covered on medium high
> heat for 15 minutes, turning halfway through. Do NOT use a fork, or
> otherwise poke holes in them because you want the seasoning to stay in
> there. At the end of 15 minutes the water will be gone and they will begin
> to brown. Let them go another 10 minutes turning often until they are brown.
>

> > to use a slow cooker? etc.
> > (2) The sauce, any suggestions?
> >
> > I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you,
> > Robert Barch

-------------------
What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
advice?
Thanks in advance.

Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote:
> -------------------
> What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
> like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
> advice?

When I use the sausage in 15-bean soup, which is what I usually use it for,
I just remove it when I chop the cooled sausage up. When we eat sausage
sandwiches, I leave it on. I like the casing. Heck, when you're eating
sausage, with everything that may be in it, what's a bit of intestine?
(I grew up eating natural casing hot dogs too.)

Disclaimer: I don't even buy this type of meat quarterly, and when I
do I usually use it as a condiment for a vegetable dish such as bean
soup or jambalaya, that sort of thing. Same with bacon and ham.
The thing I like about hot Italian sausage is that I can get it with
no preservatives. Nitrates/nitrites scare me more than saturated
fats and pig lips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2006 22:15:08 -0700, nancree wrote:
>
> > What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
> > like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
> > advice?
> > Thanks in advance.

> Just take it off before (to cut down on fat) or after you brown
> it.

It'll peel off easily if the sausage is chilled in the freezer, (before
cooking), for about 30 minutes or until slightly firm. Slit the
casing down the side with a serrated knife and peel. If the sausage is
already frozen, put it the microwave for about 30 seconds just to
soften the casing and do the same thing.

Works well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jul 2006 21:33:48 -0700, "itsjoannotjoann"
> wrote:

>Puester wrote:
>

>> You need to brown the meat in order to render some of the fat out of it.
>> Poke the sausages well, all over, with the tip of a sharp paring knife.
>> Out them in a skillet with maybe 1/4 cup of water and let simmer for 15
>> minutes or so. Drain off the fat and water into an empty jar and
>> dispose of. Let the sausage brown in the skillet, turning occasionally.
>>
>> Meanwhile chop up some onions and peppers and saute them lightly. Drain
>> the sausage, add the peppers and onions, and either a large can of
>> tomato sauce or your favorite bottled sauce. Simmer over low heat until
>> the sausage is tender. If you use tomato sauce, I usually add garlic,
>> basil, marjoram, fennel and some chopped fresh parsley. Taste and add
>> red pepper flakes if more heat is needed.
>>
>> Serve on chewy rolls with some shaved Parmesan. If you don't have any,
>> please don't use the stuff from the green can.
>>
>> gloria p

>I cook them like Gloria does. And yes, I do poke holes in them to
>render some of the fat out, but the seasonings and flavor stay inside.
>Mmmmmmmmm

Same here, but I don't them, I let the water boil down and then brown
them.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote

> I cook them like Gloria does. And yes, I do poke holes in them to
> render some of the fat out, but the seasonings and flavor stay inside.
> Mmmmmmmmm

Yes, they do. I made sausage and peppers for dinner the other
night. Always a treat. Brown the sausage, then bake them off.
Poke holes first.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2006 22:15:08 -0700, nancree wrote:
>
> > What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
> > like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
> > advice?
> > Thanks in advance.

> Just take it off before (to cut down on fat) or after you brown
> it.

Hmm, after reading ALL your replies obviously NONE of yoose know about
sausage... read my original reply... I was CORRECT!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jul 2006 06:54:04 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On 29 Jul 2006 22:15:08 -0700, nancree wrote:
>>
>> > What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
>> > like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
>> > advice?
>> > Thanks in advance.

>> Just take it off before (to cut down on fat) or after you brown
>> it.

>Hmm, after reading ALL your replies obviously NONE of yoose know about
>sausage... read my original reply... I was CORRECT!
>
>Sheldon

No baody cares what you think, sheldon, or does that still pass right
over your head?

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

nancree wrote:

> What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
> like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
> advice?

Who is this that doesn't like to eat sausage casing? We're talking
regular Italian-type sausage here, right? I've not heard of any reason
not to eat the casing...... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> nancree wrote:
> >
> > What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
> > like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
> > advice?

> Who is this that doesn't like to eat sausage casing? We're talking
> regular Italian-type sausage here, right? I've not heard of any reason
> not to eat the casing...... -aem

Note how nancree also proclaims "most of us".

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squertz spewed:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Hmm, after reading ALL your replies obviously NONE of yoose know about
> > sausage... read my original reply... I was CORRECT!

> people couldn't care less what you think.

Speaking for others are you... and you're not people... contaminants
like you is the reason for Lysol.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

wrote:
> Could someone please give me some help on how to make a good Italian
> hot sausage sandwich. I admit
> I am not much of a cook so I am asking the group for help. The things I am
> most interested in a
> (1) What is the best way to cook the sausage. I was told to just brown
> the meat and then put it in a
> pot with the sauce and cook the meat is fully cooked. Does the
> meat have to be brown? Is it better
> to use a slow cooker? etc.
> (2) The sauce, any suggestions?

(1) Following usual package instructions works -- start with a little
water, let it boil away, continue browning. But in the summertime I
much prefer to put them on the grill. Medium heat, tend so you can
move them away from flare-ups, cook until well browned all over. Some
people give the skin a few punctures. I don't, because I see no reason
to lose any of the juices.

(2) For sandwiches, I slice onions longitudinally and slice bell
peppers to match, sauté until onions begin to brown lightly with some
red pepper flakes (to taste). Then add (usually canned) tomatoes.
Sometimes I stop right there, other times I'll make more of a sauce
using canned tomato sauce and tomato paste (to desired thickness).

(3) Good crunchy French roll. No condiment needed. The question
remaining is whether to slice the sausages and put them in the sauce or
put a whole sausage in the roll and cover with the sauce? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stop in at the Prescott Hotel on Preston Street in Ottawa, Ontario and
order the "Meat Ball Sandwich" This historic establishment is also known as
"The Last Chance" as it was the last watering hole as one exited Ottawa, a
prudish place, heading west. A true delicacy washed down with a few salted
draught beers. Imagine two suculent beef and pork meatballs in a rich tomato
and meat sauce mashed and served on slices of fresh white bread. Just
thinking about this delicacy and beer makes me horny! This pub used to have
the right smell of flat beer, stale cigarette smoke, Italian spices and
****.

Still On The Menu For Only $4.25 + Tax

http://www.theprescott.com/images/PrescottMenu.pdf

Farmer John

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> Could someone please give me some help on how to make a good Italian
> hot sausage sandwich.

There's really nothing to it.

Grill a sausage.

Put it on a bun.

Top it with warmed-up spaghetti sauce.

Of course, you'll have to do this a few times with a few
kinds of italian sausage, buns, and sauces before you
discover a combination you like.

Beyond that, if you're looking for something Ultimate,
well... you can start making your own sausage, sauce,
and bread, and get the spicing and textures exact...

But that's for when you've got an idea of what sort of
choices make what sort of difference. And you're probably
just figuring out how hot your broiler gets...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:
>On 30 Jul 2006 11:04:34 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

Thank goodness this putz is still killfiled.

>> Speaking for others are you... and you're not people... contaminants
>> like you is the reason for Lysol.

>What's with all the ellipses? Looks like you're having a wee bit
>of trouble with your grammar and syntax lately.

His $4000 keyboard sticks. Probably a result
of something he did to it.

>ObFood: I watched Clerks 2 last night.

So you're the one.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:

>> On 29 Jul 2006 22:15:08 -0700, nancree wrote:

>> > What do you do about the sausage casing ???????? Most of us don't
>> > like to eat it, and it is difficult to remove. Would appreciate any
>> > advice?
>> > Thanks in advance.

>> Just take it off before (to cut down on fat) or after you brown
>> it.

>Hmm, after reading ALL your replies obviously NONE of yoose know about
>sausage... read my original reply... I was CORRECT!

For many sausages the casing is important but this is not
particularly true for italian sausage. If using store-bought
italian sausage I prefer to remove the casing before cooking
(sometimes, you lose a bit of sausage meat this way because it sticks,
but no big deal) and flatten it before browning.

Better yet is to just make your own sausage, country-style, from
ground pork, ground fennel, and ground cayenne.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote on 30 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > Could someone please give me some help on how to make a good
> > Italian hot sausage sandwich. I admit
> > I am not much of a cook so I am asking the group for help. The
> > things I am most interested in a
> > (1) What is the best way to cook the sausage. I was told to
> > just brown the meat and then put it in a
> > pot with the sauce and cook the meat is fully cooked.
> > Does the
> > meat have to be brown? Is it better
> > to use a slow cooker? etc.
> > (2) The sauce, any suggestions?

> Best I ever had were in Santa Barbara, CA, over 30 years ago.
>
> A patty of Italian sausage meat, the size of the bun, and about a
> quarter-inch thick, cooked on the griddle -- no idea if it had
> previously spent some time in a casing or not.
>
> A slab of bell pepper, also the size of the bun, cooked on the griddle
> under the griddle weight to make it flat, probably using some of the
> sausage drippings.
>
> A good crusty Italian bun, opened and toasted a bit on the griddle,
> also probably using some of the drippings.
>
> Assemble in the obvious fashion, and eat while hot. That's all. No
> sauce. Wonderful.
>
> Isaac

Browning the meat...This adds flavour...The brown is burnt sugars. So for
best flavour brown the sausage. In fact brown any meat that's going in a
sauce... This also lets the sausage rid itself of some of the grease/fat
in it; which might affect the sauce's flavour and mouth feel...depending
what the sauce is made of and it's seasoning.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Disclaimer: I don't even buy this type of meat quarterly, and when I
> do I usually use it as a condiment for a vegetable dish such as bean
> soup or jambalaya, that sort of thing. Same with bacon and ham.
> The thing I like about hot Italian sausage is that I can get it with
> no preservatives. Nitrates/nitrites scare me more than saturated
> fats and pig lips.

Me too - especially for DS. Hot Italian sausage is awesome in pasta
sauce and lasagne. I used to use ground beef and hot Italian sausage -
chunk it, brown it and then use it like you would ground beef. A
little bit goes a long way, though. We don't eat beef anymore but I
sometimes do throw some in with the ground turkey just to live
dangerously...

Man, I am jonesin' for some lasagne. The Weight Watchers is working,
LOL...

-L.