Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Braised Beef Ravioli with a Butter Sage Sauce

One of my Christmas presents was the pasta attachment for my
Kitchenaid stand mixer.
I've used it more than I thought I would.
My latest accomplishment was some outstanding ravioli.
The night before I wanted to make the ravioli, I braised beef in red
wine. I reserved some of that to make a filling for the ravioli.
I used a recipe from Biba Caggiano's cookbook "Trattoria." If you
don't plan on making ravioli, I hope you try the braised beef recipe,
it's wonderful.

Both recipes are here along with the step by step for the ravioli.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...f-ravioli.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/afythxb

Here's the Braised Beef recipe

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Braised Beef (Stracotto di Manzo ala Piemontese)

italian dishes, meats

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds beef bottom round
1/2 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
1 medium onion; finely minced
1 medium carrot; finely minced
1 medium stalk celery (I'm thinking a rib); finely minced
2 cloves garlic; finely minced
3 cups medium-bodied red wine
such as Chianti Classico or a; Pinot Noir
1 cup canned imported Italian tomatoes; with their juices
put through a strainer or food mill; to remove seeds
Salt; to taste
freshly ground black pepper; to taste

Heat the butter and oil in a large, heavy casserole over high heat.
When the butter foams, sprinkle the meat with the flour and add it to
the casserole. Cook until it is golden brown on all sides, 6 to 7
minutes.
Transfer the meat to a platter, reduce the heat to medium, and add the
onion, carrot, and celery to the casserole. Cook until they are
lightly golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook less than 1
minute.

Return the meat to the casserole. Raise the heat to high and add the
wine and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until
the liquid comes to a boil, then cover he casserole, leaving the lid
slightly askew, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer 3 to 3 1/2
hours, stirring a few times and making sure there is plenty of liquid
in the pan. Add a bit more wine or tomatoes if the wine reduces too
much. (at the end of the cooking time there should be about half of
the original amount of wine and tomatoes still left in the casserole)
The meat will have shrunk to about three-quarters of it's original
weight and should have a nice darkish color.

Place the meat on a cutting board and let it settle for about 5
minutes. Check the consistency of your sauce. If too thin, cook it
down over high heat until it has a medium-thick consistency. If too
thick, add a bit more tomato or a bit of broth.
Taste and adjust the seasonings, then slice the meat and serve topped
by a bit of this delicious sauce.

Notes: Biba Caggiano Tratorilla Cooking Cookbook

Yield: 6 servings

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> That attachment for the KA looks very similar to the old Astra
> crank-operated pasta machine.

I think they might be exactly the same mechanism with an adapter for hooking
onto the mixer. I've heard that Astra already made a motorized version of
the hand-crank machine; it wouldn't be difficult for them to engineer.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:54:47 +0100, "ViLco" > wrote:

wrote:
>> One of my Christmas presents was the pasta attachment for my
>> Kitchenaid stand mixer.
>> I've used it more than I thought I would.
>> My latest accomplishment was some outstanding ravioli.
>> The night before I wanted to make the ravioli, I braised beef in red
>> wine. I reserved some of that to make a filling for the ravioli.
>> I used a recipe from Biba Caggiano's cookbook "Trattoria." If you
>> don't plan on making ravioli, I hope you try the braised beef recipe,
>> it's wonderful.
>>
>> Both recipes are here along with the step by step for the ravioli.

>Very nice looking ravioli!

Thank you

>That attachment for the KA looks very similar to
>the old Astra crank-operated pasta machine.

I used to have a crank one for years.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>> That attachment for the KA looks very similar to the old Astra
>> crank-operated pasta machine.

> I think they might be exactly the same mechanism with an adapter for
> hooking onto the mixer.

My same guess

> I've heard that Astra already made a motorized version of the hand-crank
> machine; it wouldn't be difficult for them to engineer.

My sister has one, he and her husbang are a lot into egg dough, and it's
useful. I go on with mum's hand-crank one, after all I got used to hold the
dough with an hand while pushing it into the machine and with the other hand
while it exits from it, the trick is to make the dough get firmly through
the cilynders before it protrudes too much out of the astra. A friend of
mine, when he saw the astra sitting on the table, once asked "So, with an
hand you hold the dough going in and with the other you hold the dough comin
out. OK, don't tell me what you turn the crank with."
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> he and her husbang