Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ATTN: Cheesecake Lovers - Ever Made A Eggnog Cheesecake?

Cheesecake is really popular in our family and I've made many over the
years, but I have a special request from a granddaughter to make one
this weekend. She is coming home Sunday and we're going to finally
celebrate Christmas with her, and that's what she wants. Since I have
never made one, I searched online and found two recipes that sounded the
best.

One is from the Taste Of Home site and the other is from allrecipes.com.
One uses 2 tbsp, real rum and the other uses 1/2 tsp. rum flavoring. The
one with the real stuff sounds better to me. Also one is baked in a pan
with water in it, after wrapping foil snuggly around the outside of the
pan, and I can't recall ever baking any cheesecake using that method.
What would the object of that be, and what difference would it make in
the cheesecake I wonder?

Has anyone here ever made a Eggnog Cheesecake, and if so, would you mind
sharing your recipe, if it turned out real good. I'd rather make
something tried 'n' true and know it will be tasty. Thanking you in
advance!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 4, 11:53*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Cheesecake is really popular in our family and I've made many over the
> years, but I have a special request from a granddaughter to make one
> this weekend. She is coming home Sunday and we're going to finally
> celebrate Christmas with her, and that's what she wants. Since I have
> never made one, I searched online and found two recipes that sounded the
> best.
>
> One is from the Taste Of Home site and the other is from allrecipes.com.
> One uses 2 tbsp, real rum and the other uses 1/2 tsp. rum flavoring. The
> one with the real stuff sounds better to me. Also one is baked in a pan
> with water in it, after wrapping foil snuggly around the outside of the
> pan, and I can't recall ever baking any cheesecake using that method.
> What would the object of that be, and what difference would it make in
> the cheesecake I wonder?
>
> Has anyone here ever made a Eggnog Cheesecake, and if so, would you mind
> sharing your recipe, if it turned out real good. I'd rather make
> something tried 'n' true and know it will be tasty. Thanking you in
> advance!
>
> Judy

I'm leery about using water and foil....what if it leaked?
Also....real rum. It bakes off and it's a better flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>I'm leery about using water and
> foil....what if it leaked? Also....real rum.
> * It bakes off and it's a better flavor.

I thought about that too, with using the foil and sitting the pan in a
pan with water...seems unusual for baking a cheesecake like
that...custard, etc. yes, but don't see where cheesecake needs the extra
moisture?

I also feel the one with real rum would be much better, and my
granddaughter was fine with it, but just didn't want it overpowering,
and I told her it wouldn't be after baking.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 12:42:56 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I've used a water bath for custards zillions of times, but never for a
> cheesecake and I've never had a problem.

Me either. I've always thought the water bath must be making up for
something or other... like uneven oven temp or too high heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2013 4:00 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> I'm leery about using water and
>> foil....what if it leaked? Also....real rum.
>> It bakes off and it's a better flavor.

> I thought about that too, with using the foil and sitting the pan in a
> pan with water...seems unusual for baking a cheesecake like
> that...custard, etc. yes, but don't see where cheesecake needs the extra
> moisture?
>
> I also feel the one with real rum would be much better, and my
> granddaughter was fine with it, but just didn't want it overpowering,
> and I told her it wouldn't be after baking.
>
> Judy

I made the water and foil method cheesecake once a few years ago (carmel
pecan cheesecake) and my wife's German relatives raved about the result...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 20:52:23 -0500, Hench > wrote:

> On 1/4/2013 4:00 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> >
> > ImStillMags wrote:
> >
> >> I'm leery about using water and
> >> foil....what if it leaked? Also....real rum.
> >> It bakes off and it's a better flavor.

> > I thought about that too, with using the foil and sitting the pan in a
> > pan with water...seems unusual for baking a cheesecake like
> > that...custard, etc. yes, but don't see where cheesecake needs the extra
> > moisture?
> >
> > I also feel the one with real rum would be much better, and my
> > granddaughter was fine with it, but just didn't want it overpowering,
> > and I told her it wouldn't be after baking.
> >
> > Judy
> >

> I made the water and foil method cheesecake once a few years ago (carmel
> pecan cheesecake) and my wife's German relatives raved about the result...

Carmel-pecan sounds Southern! You know you're not playing fair when
you talk about something like that with no recipe, don't you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/5/2013 11:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 20:52:23 -0500, Hench > wrote:

>>> I thought about that too, with using the foil and sitting the pan in a
>>> pan with water...seems unusual for baking a cheesecake like
>>> that...custard, etc. yes, but don't see where cheesecake needs the extra
>>> moisture?
>>>
>>> I also feel the one with real rum would be much better, and my
>>> granddaughter was fine with it, but just didn't want it overpowering,
>>> and I told her it wouldn't be after baking.
>>>
>>> Judy
>>>

>> I made the water and foil method cheesecake once a few years ago (carmel
>> pecan cheesecake) and my wife's German relatives raved about the result...

> Carmel-pecan sounds Southern! You know you're not playing fair when
> you talk about something like that with no recipe, don't you?

I lost the recipe. I wanted to make it again about three years but in
tart forms. It came from a BBC website but that's all I remember

From what I recall I rough chopped the pecans onto a shortbread crust.
The pecans got salted. and drizzled with chocolate and caramel and it
had to set in the fridge for a period of time.

The cheesecake itself had hardened bits of caramel mixed in and was
topped with finer chopped pecans, again salted, and drizzled with
caramel and chocolate...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2013 1:53 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
snip

> One is from the Taste Of Home site and the other is from allrecipes.com.
> One uses 2 tbsp, real rum and the other uses 1/2 tsp. rum flavoring. The
> one with the real stuff sounds better to me. Also one is baked in a pan
> with water in it, after wrapping foil snuggly around the outside of the
> pan, and I can't recall ever baking any cheesecake using that method.
> What would the object of that be, and what difference would it make in
> the cheesecake I wonder?
>
> Has anyone here ever made a Eggnog Cheesecake, and if so, would you mind
> sharing your recipe, if it turned out real good. I'd rather make
> something tried 'n' true and know it will be tasty. Thanking you in
> advance!
>
> Judy

When I bake a cheesecake, I place a pan of boiling water, on the rack
underneath the cheesecake. I do not bake mine in a water bath. Rum is
not my favorite in a cheesecake, I like lemon juice and lemon zest instead.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:28:12 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> I like lemon juice and lemon zest

That's my favorite too. Hubby often complains that I make it too
lemony, but it's just right AFAIC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

>When I bake a cheesecake, I place a pan
> of boiling water, on the rack underneath
> the cheesecake. I do not bake mine in a
> water bath. Rum is not my favorite in a
> cheesecake, I like lemon juice and
> lemon zest instead.

I think most regular cheesecake, like the New York style, etc., call for
some lemon in them, and that is always good, but the one I made for
today is a eggnog cheesecake, and I just don't think somehow that lemon
would be a good addition to it. I have never used rum in a cheesecake
before, but it just seems to "fit" with eggnog, and also a little
nutmeg. Of all the recipes I looked at for eggnog cheesecake, most did
call for either real rum, or the flavoring and somehow the real stuff
(only 2 tbsp.) sounded better and shouldn't be over powering.

Also as I said in a earlier thread, I've been making cheesecakes for
about 60 years and never baked it with water, and the cheesecakes always
came out perfect. I didn't use the water baking method for the one I
made yesterday either, as Taste Of Home recommended, but I might just
try that sometime, out of curiosity.

I won't be able to tell anybody how this one turned out, as I won't be
serving it until later on today, but it smells and looks heavenly. To
"dress" it up some on top, I put dollops of real whipped cream around
the outer edge and sprinkled a speck of nutmeg on top the whipped cream.
For most cheesecakes, I use the sour cream topping, but this did not
call for it, and I decided it best not to make any changes to it until
after I've sampled it, to see if there is anything I'd do differently.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ATTN: Cheesecake Lovers - Ever Made A Eggnog Cheesecake? (P.S.)

The family has come and gone and we've eaten the cheesecake and it was a
big HIT with everyone! We absolutely loved it, especially my
granddaughter who asked for it, so that recipe is definitely a "keeper",
and for sure I will be making this cheesecake again, with no changes, as
it was perfect in my opinion.

Judy