Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Himalayan Salt Slab/Pizza Stone

Finally satisfied my curiosity. The Himalayan Salt Slab makes for an
awesome pizza stone.

I also posted my favorite, so far, pizza dough recipe.
As I rolled out the dough today, after it has been in the freezer for
a couple of months, there were nice yeasty bubbles in the dough.

Here's how it turned out.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...zza-stone.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/alkvzdz

Here's the pizza dough recipe.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pizza Dough Ruhlman

breads, pies/pastry

to measure by volume
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 teaspoons kosher salt or coarse sea salt
to measure by weight
500 grams flour
300 grams water
2 grams active dry yeast
10 grams kosher salt or coarse sea salt

Combine the flour, water, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer
fitted with a dough hook. Mix on medium speed until the dough is
smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes. Depending on the size of the
bowl, you may need to
stop the mixer and remove the dough from the dough hook if the dough
is not developing thoroughly.
When the dough looks smooth, cut off a piece and stretch it. If it
stretches to the point of transparency, it’s mixed enough. If not,
continue mixing until it will. Remove the bowl from the mixer and
cover it with a pot lid or plastic wrap/cling film.
Allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size and does not
spring back when you push your finger into it, 2 to 4 hours. Turn the
dough out onto a work surface and knead it to release the gas and
redistribute the yeast.
Cut the dough in half and press each half into a disk. Cover the disks
with a towel and allow to stand for about 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 450°F/230°C/gas 8. Stretch each disk, or roll it
with a rolling pin, until it is as thin as desired (the thinner the
better). Top as desired and bake on a rimless baking sheet/ tray or
baking stone until the edges are golden brown and the bottom is crisp,
about 20 minutes.
Serve immediately.

COOKING TIP: If you don’t have a bread peel and are baking a pizza on
a stone, put the dough on a sheet of parchment/baking paper before
topping it. The paper will make it easier to transfer the pizza from
work surface to oven.

MAKES 2 PIZZAS Make the dough at least 3 hours before you need to bake
it. The dough can also be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated,
or it can be frozen for a month or so. This recipe will yield enough
dough for two medium pizzas. This recipe can be halved, doubled or
tripled provided you weigh all the ingredients.

Ruhlman, Michael; Ruhlman, Donna Turner (2011-10-19). Ruhlman's
Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook (p.
158). Chronicle Books. Kindle Edition.

Notes: Michael Ruhlman Ruhlmans Twenty Cookbook

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> Finally satisfied my curiosity. The Himalayan Salt Slab makes for an
> awesome pizza stone.
>
> I also posted my favorite, so far, pizza dough recipe.
> As I rolled out the dough today, after it has been in the freezer for
> a couple of months, there were nice yeasty bubbles in the dough.
>
> Here's how it turned out.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...zza-stone.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/alkvzdz

Amazing. I just found out my new printer printed from my iPad.

I do want to experiment making pizza dough.

A picture of my favorite pizza bought slice..

http://capospizza2.com/wp-content/up...2/12/slice.jpg

Just made two tortilla slices. Olive oil, sauce, turkey pepperoni.

http://zekfrivolous.com/pizza/pizza3.JPG

http://zekfrivolous.com/pizza/pizza2.JPG

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 05:47:22 +0000 (UTC), gregz >

>> Finally satisfied my curiosity. The Himalayan Salt Slab makes for an
>> awesome pizza stone.
>>
>> I also posted my favorite, so far, pizza dough recipe.
>> As I rolled out the dough today, after it has been in the freezer for
>> a couple of months, there were nice yeasty bubbles in the dough.
>>
>> Here's how it turned out.
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...zza-stone.html
>>
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/alkvzdz
>>

>Amazing. I just found out my new printer printed from my iPad.
>
>I do want to experiment making pizza dough.
>
>A picture of my favorite pizza bought slice..
>
>http://capospizza2.com/wp-content/up...2/12/slice.jpg
>
>Just made two tortilla slices. Olive oil, sauce, turkey pepperoni.
>
>http://zekfrivolous.com/pizza/pizza3.JPG
>
>http://zekfrivolous.com/pizza/pizza2.JPG
>
>Greg

Greg, If you have a kitchen scale I recommend baking by weight, not by
volume. My baking results have improved tremendously since I've
started weighing the ingredients.
The recipe I posted gives both measurements but I always make this
dough by weight. It's a beautiful dough.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 05:47:22 +0000 (UTC), gregz >

>>> Finally satisfied my curiosity. The Himalayan Salt Slab makes for an
>>> awesome pizza stone.
>>>
>>> I also posted my favorite, so far, pizza dough recipe.
>>> As I rolled out the dough today, after it has been in the freezer for
>>> a couple of months, there were nice yeasty bubbles in the dough.
>>>
>>> Here's how it turned out.
>>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...zza-stone.html
>>>
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/alkvzdz
>>>

>>Amazing. I just found out my new printer printed from my iPad.
>>
>>I do want to experiment making pizza dough.
>>
>>A picture of my favorite pizza bought slice..
>>
>>http://capospizza2.com/wp-content/up...2/12/slice.jpg
>>
>>Just made two tortilla slices. Olive oil, sauce, turkey pepperoni.
>>
>>http://zekfrivolous.com/pizza/pizza3.JPG
>>
>>http://zekfrivolous.com/pizza/pizza2.JPG
>>
>>Greg

> Greg, If you have a kitchen scale I recommend baking by weight, not by
> volume. My baking results have improved tremendously since I've
> started weighing the ingredients.
> The recipe I posted gives both measurements but I always make this
> dough by weight. It's a beautiful dough.
>
> koko
> --

And yet 10 days ago you blogged a cheesecake recipe in volumetric measure,
even for the base.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:09:11 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>And yet 10 days ago you blogged a cheesecake recipe in volumetric measure,
>even for the base.

I guess cheesecake is not baking.

I'll back up the "scale by weight" school, as I was a professional
baker for years!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:09:11 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>>And yet 10 days ago you blogged a cheesecake recipe in volumetric measure,
>>even for the base.
>>

> I guess cheesecake is not baking.
>
> I'll back up the "scale by weight" school, as I was a professional
> baker for years!

Agreed!! All my baking books are either professional tomes or from the UK
where weighing is normal. I *never* use cups, except a handy scoops. I'm
teaching my 10yr old grand-daughter to bake and make her weigh out
everything. We were making my version of a Victoria sponge cake (the recipe
had to be tweaked for this altitude) the other day and she pointed out that
I had forgotten an essential ingredient. She'll soon be ready to handle the
whole process.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 19:24:12 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 12/31/2012 10:20 PM, wrote:
>> Finally satisfied my curiosity. The Himalayan Salt Slab makes for an
>> awesome pizza stone.
>>
>> I also posted my favorite, so far, pizza dough recipe.
>> As I rolled out the dough today, after it has been in the freezer for
>> a couple of months, there were nice yeasty bubbles in the dough.
>>
>> Here's how it turned out.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...zza-stone.html

>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/alkvzdz
>>

>> Here's the pizza dough recipe.

>Looks great! What kind of flour did you use? I have AP and bread
>flour. TIA.

I used all purpose flour. It's a really nice dough, I hope you try it.
koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in
:

> Finally satisfied my curiosity. The Himalayan Salt Slab makes for an
> awesome pizza stone.
>
> I also posted my favorite, so far, pizza dough recipe.
> As I rolled out the dough today, after it has been in the freezer for
> a couple of months, there were nice yeasty bubbles in the dough.
>
> Here's how it turned out.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...an-salt-block-
as
> -a-pizza-stone.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/alkvzdz

Looks good.

Good to see you're still getting use out of the slab :-)

--
Peter
Brisbane

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 23:22:11 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back" >
wrote:

wrote in
:

>> Finally satisfied my curiosity. The Himalayan Salt Slab makes for an
>> awesome pizza stone.
>>
>> I also posted my favorite, so far, pizza dough recipe.
>> As I rolled out the dough today, after it has been in the freezer for
>> a couple of months, there were nice yeasty bubbles in the dough.
>>
>> Here's how it turned out.
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...an-salt-block-

>as
>> -a-pizza-stone.html
>>
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/alkvzdz
>>

>Looks good.
>
>Good to see you're still getting use out of the slab :-)

Thanks, I really use it a lot.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com