Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have A Good Recipe For Cabbage - Hamburger Wraps?

When I turned on the food channel yesterday, a fellow was preparing
these absolutely incredible looking cabbage wraps (or roll-ups) but
didn't give much info on how to prepare them, so was wondering if any of
you have made something similar, and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe?
He precooked the cabbage till it was tender, and not sure the method he
used, but peeled the leaves off after cooking, and then took what looked
like a mixture for hamburgers and rolled those up inside each leaf and
laid them side by side in a pan so they were touching. Made some kind of
red "tomatoey looking" sauce and poured over the top before putting
them in the oven. He didn't say how long to cook them, but when the
people went to eat them, they looked delicious.

Do they sound familiar to you? I've heard of stuffed cabbage, so maybe
this is another way of doing that, but I'm hoping somebody here can give
me more info on the preparation methods of this dish, and the
ingredients for the burger mixture and red sauce. I'd love to try them.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 29, 8:49*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> When I turned on the food channel yesterday, a fellow was preparing
> these absolutely incredible looking cabbage wraps (or roll-ups) but
> didn't give much info on how to prepare them, so was wondering if any of
> you have made something similar, and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe?
> He precooked the cabbage till it was tender, and not sure the method he
> used, but peeled the leaves off after cooking, and then took what looked
> like a mixture for hamburgers and rolled those up inside each leaf and
> laid them side by side in a pan so they were touching. Made some kind of
> red "tomatoey looking" *sauce and poured over the top before putting
> them in the oven. He didn't say how long to cook them, but when the
> people went to eat them, they looked delicious.
>
> Do they sound familiar to you? I've heard of stuffed cabbage, so maybe
> this is another way of doing that, but I'm hoping somebody here can give
> me more info on the preparation methods of this dish, and the
> ingredients for the burger mixture and red sauce. I'd love to try them.
>
> Judy

They are cabbage rolls. There are quite a few people on this board
who probably have great recipes.
I've never made them but I would also be interested in the favorite
recipes from the people here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Judy Haffner) wrote:

>When I turned on the food channel yesterday, a fellow was preparing
>these absolutely incredible looking cabbage wraps (or roll-ups) but
>didn't give much info on how to prepare them, so was wondering if any of
>you have made something similar, and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe?

I just took some out of the freezer. For 25 years my wife has been
asking for 'Glumpkies'- the way her friend's polish mom made them 40
years ago.

I've tried lots of recipes for cabbage rolls, and while all were
good-- she said these are *the ones*.

I've Googled them on several occasions and was encouraged last time
when I found an rfc post from Barb Schaller -- from Nov. 2000!

Thanks Barb-- This is better than your Melba Jam, IMO-- and that's
going some.<G>

I edited a little- but left the recipe the same, I think. [I even used
my wife's mother's aluminum roasting pan.

Holubky (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
[edited a bit from a Melba's Jammin' post Nov 2000- rfc]
Golabski ; golampki, ; gawumpkies; holubky (the
Slovak word)

Maybe 1/3 cup raw white rice
A head of cabbage
About 1# or 1-1/2# ground beef
Maybe 1/2# ground pork
A medium onion, chopped
1 egg
Salt and pepper
Canned chopped tomatoes or juice (preferred)
Quart Sauerkraut (optional)

Cook the rice with 1/2 cup water until water is absorbed. It should
be
partially cooked. Set aside to cool.

Core the head of cabbage and remove the leaves one at a time, either
under hot running water or else by sticking the whole head of cabbage
in a large pot of boiling water, to loosen the leaves. Trim the hard
rib from the cabbage leaf. [jje note-- I've used that wrinkly leafed
cabbage for rolls with good results-- I did use regular for this
batch, though. I run under hot water to soften the leaves.]

Mix the meats, the rice, the onion, the egg, and the s&p with your
hands to combine well. Pour some tomato juice in the bottom of a
deep covered roasting pan or deep casserole dish.

Place a limp leaf of cabbage on a flat surface in front of you,
trimmed-rib end closest. With a large tablespoon (like a
serving-type spoon), put about that much (maybe 1/3 cup) on the leaf
at the cut end. . . .Enclose the meat in the cabbage leaf by rolling
it once then folding the sides over, envelope style, and finishing the
roll. Place the roll in the cooking vessel, seam side down. Put
kraut between the layers.
When you run out of meat for the filling, coarsely chop the
remaining cabbage and dump it on top. Can put kraut on top of this,
too, if you wish. Pour the rest of the tomato juice over all, cover,
and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about an hour, hour and a
half.

I do these, BTW, in my inherited cast aluminum roaster -- it was
Mom's.

They freeze well and are, perhaps, better next day. Pumpernickel
bread, boiled potatoes -- you've got yourself and nice NE Slovakian
peasant meal.
xxxxx

I have a note on the recipe- noting that Monica, also in Nov 2000 on
rfc- pointed out that the polish word is impossible to produce in
English- thus all the various pronunciations. Golabski ; golampki, ;
gawumpkies.

a good thread-- I hope Google groups is working today- worth
reviewing.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 29, 9:46*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> I've Googled them on several occasions and was encouraged last time
> when I found an rfc *post from Barb Schaller -- from Nov. 2000!
>
> Thanks Barb-- This is better than your Melba Jam, IMO-- and that's
> going some.<G>

Thank you so much Jim......I just KNEW there was the perfect recipe
floating around this group somewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks, Jim! this sounds very close to what this chef was doing
yesterday, except I didn't see any rice mixed in with the meat, but then
I didn't see it from the beginning, when he probably said what all was
in this meat mixture, as to whether it was just beef, or had another
type of meat mixed in. There also was no sauerkraut, but that sounds
good too. The cabbage leaves looked very tender, as he was peeling them
off and the other person he was demonstrating to, commended on how well
they were cooked, so maybe he steamed them soft?

Ever since I saw them, I've been craving them! :-)

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2012 10:49 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Do they sound familiar to you? I've heard of stuffed cabbage, so maybe
> this is another way of doing that, but I'm hoping somebody here can give
> me more info on the preparation methods of this dish, and the
> ingredients for the burger mixture and red sauce. I'd love to try them.

Stuffed Cabbage.

I make the Eastern European sweet and sour kind. Here's my recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet and Sour Stuffed Cabbage

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :3:00
Categories : beef Casseroles & One-Dish Meals
Meat

6 qts boiling water
1 medium head of cabbage
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup uncooked rice
1 egg
1 medium onion
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 11.5 oz cans V-8® vegetable juice (I use low salt)
1 cup raisins
1 tbsp lemon juice

Boil water in a large kettle. Score the cabbage by making deep cuts
around the core. Submerge the cabbage in the boiling water for 3
minutes. Remove the cabbage and peel off the leaves, keeping them
whole. (You may have to repeatedly submerge the cabbage until most of
the leaves are separated) When you have a softball-sized cabbage left,
stop separating the leaves and save the rest of the cabbage. Put the
separated leaves back into the boiling water for 3 minutes. Carefully
remove the leaves (tongs are good) and drain in a colander.

Cut the onion in half. Set one half aside. Cut the first onion half
into long shreds. Shred the remaining cabbage with a knife. Empty one
can of V-8 into a large pot or roaster (see note). Add shredded
cabbage, shredded onion, raisins and lemon juice to the pot. Simmer for
15 minutes or until cabbage is wilted and onions are soft.

Cut the remaining onion half in half, again. Reserve one half for later
use. Chop the onion. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the ground
beef, onion, egg, rice, applesauce, garlic powder and ginger. Mix
thoroughly.

Hold one separated cabbage leaf in one hand, and with a small, sharp
knife, pare the spine from the leaf being careful not to cut into the
leaf. Place 2 tbsp. of meat mixture on the bottom of the leaf and roll
it up, folding in the edges as you go. Place each roll, seam-side down
on a plate while you complete all of the rolls.

Layer the rolls onto the vegetable mixture in the pot, pouring a little
V-8 over each layer. Pour remaining V-8 over the top layer. Cover and
simmer or place in a 350 degree oven, for 2 hours or until cabbage is
tender. Serve each roll with a little of the raisin sauce from the pot.

"Eastern European style"
Cuisine:
"Jewish"

NOTES : A pressure cooker makes this a quick and easy dish. There is no
need to simmer the cabbage, onions, raisins, etc. before layering the
rolls if a pressure cooker is used. Cook under 3 lines of pressure for
20 minutes. Cool the pot under running water until pressure is released.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Judy Haffner) wrote:

>Thanks, Jim! this sounds very close to what this chef was doing
>yesterday, except I didn't see any rice mixed in with the meat, but then
>I didn't see it from the beginning, when he probably said what all was
>in this meat mixture, as to whether it was just beef, or had another
>type of meat mixed in.

This was the first time I used the rice and the pork-- and it really
makes a difference.

>There also was no sauerkraut, but that sounds
>good too.

My wife had mentioned sauerkraut so we'd served it with kraut before--
but cooking it changes everything.

>The cabbage leaves looked very tender, as he was peeling them
>off and the other person he was demonstrating to, commended on how well
>they were cooked, so maybe he steamed them soft?

Steaming might be a way to go. There is a delicate balance between
cooked enough, and cooked too much. The Savoy cabbage will wrap
nicely even raw-- Finding a nice sized head can be a challenge
sometimes. [and they add a few dollars tot he cost of a meal]

>Ever since I saw them, I've been craving them! :-)

Funny that you asked today-- I just spotted the leftovers in the
freezer and now I can't wait for supper.

BTW- I don't think I mentioned in the other post, but Holubky is the
Slovak word for these- Golabsky and variations is the Polish-- same
cabbage roll.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2012 11:49 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> When I turned on the food channel yesterday, a fellow was preparing
> these absolutely incredible looking cabbage wraps (or roll-ups) but
> didn't give much info on how to prepare them, so was wondering if any of
> you have made something similar, and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe?
> He precooked the cabbage till it was tender, and not sure the method he
> used, but peeled the leaves off after cooking, and then took what looked
> like a mixture for hamburgers and rolled those up inside each leaf and
> laid them side by side in a pan so they were touching. Made some kind of
> red "tomatoey looking" sauce and poured over the top before putting
> them in the oven. He didn't say how long to cook them, but when the
> people went to eat them, they looked delicious.
>
> Do they sound familiar to you? I've heard of stuffed cabbage, so maybe
> this is another way of doing that, but I'm hoping somebody here can give
> me more info on the preparation methods of this dish, and the
> ingredients for the burger mixture and red sauce. I'd love to try them.

I saw that on the Cooking Channel yesterday on ICA. Morimoto vs Douglas
in Battle Wild Salmon so they probably used salmon as the filling. It
looked delicious. There was no tomato sauce, so maybe not the same show.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 9:46*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>

> >When I turned on the food channel yesterday, a fellow was preparing
> >these absolutely incredible looking cabbage wraps (or roll-ups) but
> >didn't give much info on how to prepare them, so was wondering if any of
> >you have made something similar, and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe?

> I just took some out of the freezer. * For 25 years my wife has been
> asking for 'Glumpkies'- the way her friend's polish mom made them 40
> years ago.
>
> I've tried lots of recipes for cabbage rolls, and while all were
> good-- she said these are *the ones*.
>
> I've Googled them on several occasions and was encouraged last time
> when I found an rfc *post from Barb Schaller -- from Nov. 2000!
>
> Thanks Barb-- This is better than your Melba Jam, IMO-- and that's
> going some.<G>
>
> I edited a little- but left the recipe the same, I think. [I even used
> my wife's mother's aluminum roasting pan.
>
> Holubky (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
> [edited a bit from a Melba's Jammin' post Nov 2000- rfc]
> Golabski ; golampki, ; *gawumpkies; *holubky *(the
> Slovak word)

Golabki, with a slash through the l and a hook under the a, to make it
sound like gawumki.

My MIL is their Queen. It means doves. The singular is golabek
(gawumbek) -- when you want seconds that's what you ask someone to
give you, one at a time. She used to use Heinz tomato soup from Canada
for the sauce. (There's a Heinz plant in Leamington, the "Sun
Parlour.")

Steaming softens the outer leaves for wrapping.

They made them at our house once, and attracted every housefly in the
neighborhood -- something compelling about boiling cabbage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 11:49*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> When I turned on the food channel yesterday, a fellow was preparing
> these absolutely incredible looking cabbage wraps (or roll-ups) but
> didn't give much info on how to prepare them, so was wondering if any of
> you have made something similar, and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe?
> He precooked the cabbage till it was tender, and not sure the method he
> used, but peeled the leaves off after cooking, and then took what looked
> like a mixture for hamburgers and rolled those up inside each leaf and
> laid them side by side in a pan so they were touching. Made some kind of
> red "tomatoey looking" *sauce and poured over the top before putting
> them in the oven. He didn't say how long to cook them, but when the
> people went to eat them, they looked delicious.
>
> Do they sound familiar to you? I've heard of stuffed cabbage, so maybe
> this is another way of doing that, but I'm hoping somebody here can give
> me more info on the preparation methods of this dish, and the
> ingredients for the burger mixture and red sauce. I'd love to try them.

I grew up with them (halupkis - sp?), plus stuffed grape leaves
and stuffed zucchini as well as the usual stuffed bell peppers. I
liked grape leaves the best but cabbage rolls came in a close second.
I like them all though. I can't tell you how to make them even though
I have made grape leaves and done a really good with them too. I
never tried the cabbage leaves for the reason you mentioned, that they
needed to be softened first. My grandmother made all those thing as
did most in the mixed ethnic neighborhood in which we lived. The
fillings were always pretty much the same - ground meat and rice with
some but not many spices. Tomato was usually added to the cabbage
leaves, I know that. One time my aunt made rolled swiss chard with
just rice, no meat - with melted butter and parsley mixed in. Very
nice. Pain in the ass tearing the veins out of the chard and then
sitting down like a bunch of cigar factory workers rolling away for
however long it took to fill the pot. For the grape leaves, it took
only 20 to 30 minutes on low with a small plate pressed down on the
leaves to keep them in place as the water simmered. At or near the
end a bit of lemon juice was sprinkled on. I loved those grape leaves
even cold and also preferred them tightly rolled. Sorry for the long
ramble and also for being of no help. Just selfishly wanted you to
know that I have eaten a lot of stuffed and rolled foods, and even
though we were not hungarian, in our neighborhood they were called
Hunkies, and it was to them that the perogies and rolled cabbage were
given credit. The grape leaves belonged to the arabs, that was us.
The bell peppers I think had been around long enough in the US for
them to be considered American.

TJ

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 12:52*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> Thanks, Jim! this sounds very close to what this chef was doing
> yesterday, except I didn't see any rice mixed in with the meat, but then
> I didn't see it from the beginning, when he probably said what all was
> in this meat mixture, as to whether it was just beef, or had another
> type of meat mixed in. There also was no sauerkraut, but that sounds
> good too. The cabbage leaves looked very tender, as he was peeling them
> off and the other person he was demonstrating to, commended on how well
> they were cooked, so maybe he steamed them soft?
>
> Ever since I saw them, I've been craving them! :-)
>
> Judy

Make sure you highly season these; they look good but can be very
bland. Share your impression once you've made these.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:19:10 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> They are cabbage rolls. There are quite a few people on this board
>> who probably have great recipes.
>> I've never made them but I would also be interested in the favorite
>> recipes from the people here.

> I did a "pictorial" and brief recipe on how to make stuffed cabbage on
> the RFC web site.
>
> http://recfoodcooking.com/tips/cabbagerolls.html
>
> Sheesh, like... 10 years ago. If you don't read recfoodccooking.com
> daily you're missing out on new ideas! RSS feed coming soon!
>
> -sw </sarcasm>

lol It had been a long time since I had looked around the site so I enjoyed
that this morning
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 04:02:16 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:19:10 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> They are cabbage rolls. There are quite a few people on this board
>> who probably have great recipes.
>> I've never made them but I would also be interested in the favorite
>> recipes from the people here.

>I did a "pictorial" and brief recipe on how to make stuffed cabbage on
>the RFC web site.
>
>http://recfoodcooking.com/tips/cabbagerolls.html
>
>Sheesh, like... 10 years ago. If you don't read recfoodccooking.com
>daily you're missing out on new ideas! RSS feed coming soon!

Worth the trip just to see what is meant by 'trimming the ribs' -- For
years I was cutting them completely through leaving a big 'V' in each
leaf. First time I figured out what was *really* meant, I slapped
my forehead into next week.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2012 12:52 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Thanks, Jim! this sounds very close to what this chef was doing
> yesterday, except I didn't see any rice mixed in with the meat, but then
> I didn't see it from the beginning, when he probably said what all was
> in this meat mixture, as to whether it was just beef, or had another
> type of meat mixed in. There also was no sauerkraut, but that sounds
> good too. The cabbage leaves looked very tender, as he was peeling them
> off and the other person he was demonstrating to, commended on how well
> they were cooked, so maybe he steamed them soft?
>
> Ever since I saw them, I've been craving them! :-)
>
> Judy

If you are in a hurry, or you are tired, you can try unstuffed cabbage.
It tastes great.

Becca

* Exported from MasterCook *

Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4
Categories :

1 pound ground beef
1 onion -- peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 cabbage head, cored, quartered, and cut into 1" strips
1/4 cup water
28 ounces crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds -- optional
1 garlic clove -- finely minced
2 cups cooked rice

In a 6 quart Dutch oven, brown the ground beef, draining off the fat.
Add the chopped onion and cook until onion wilts and softens, 3-5
minutes. Add the chopped cabbage and water to the Dutch oven; cook
until the cabbage begins to soften and wilt, 5-8 minutes more.
Add tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, and
garlic; stir to mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and
cover. Simmer until cabbage is tender-crisp, 30 minutes or more.
Serve over rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:41:18 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> On 12/29/2012 12:52 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Jim! this sounds very close to what this chef was doing
> > yesterday, except I didn't see any rice mixed in with the meat, but then
> > I didn't see it from the beginning, when he probably said what all was
> > in this meat mixture, as to whether it was just beef, or had another
> > type of meat mixed in. There also was no sauerkraut, but that sounds
> > good too. The cabbage leaves looked very tender, as he was peeling them
> > off and the other person he was demonstrating to, commended on how well
> > they were cooked, so maybe he steamed them soft?
> >
> > Ever since I saw them, I've been craving them! :-)
> >
> > Judy

> If you are in a hurry, or you are tired, you can try unstuffed cabbage.
> It tastes great.
>
> Becca
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

I tried making unstuffed cabbage last year and it was okay, but not so
great that I repeated it.

In the mean time, I've discovered I *really* like cabbage when it's
roasted!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Whenever I visit an authentic Jewish deli, if the menu has stuffed
cabbage, I am going to be on it.

The recipe is related to versions made in many countries in eastern
Europe, western Europe, and the middle east. The American-Jewish
variation usually has a sweet and sour tomato sauce, often with raisins.
The stuffing is typically a mixture of ground beef and rice, but it can
be made with chicken, too.

I love this stuff. Google for "Jewish Stuffed Cabbage", and you will
get lots of hits.

A couple of years ago, Cindy and I were on vacation in Paris. My cousin
from Amsterdam came in to join us and we went out to dinner at a
restaurant that was highly recommended in Rick Steves' guide: Le
Florimond, near Ecole Militaire. Stuffed cabbage (chou farci) was one
of their specialties, and the proprietor told us that it was a treasured
recipe from his grandmother. Big disappointment - it was rather bland
and unremarkable, especially considering the price in US$. My grandma
made better stuffed cabbage than his grandma. But the other things we
ordered were great.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Search for recipes for holubky, holuptsi, or golabki.

Why just those three? Why not also golubtsy, Kohlrouladen, Krautwickel,
gevikelte kraut, praakes, halishkes, caponet, dolma, tolma, dolmades,
kalam dolmeh, sarma, or töltött káposzta?

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Search for recipes for holubky, holuptsi, or golabki.

> Why just those three? Why not also golubtsy, Kohlrouladen, Krautwickel,
> gevikelte kraut, praakes, halishkes, caponet, dolma, tolma, dolmades,
> kalam dolmeh, sarma, or töltött káposzta?
>
> Bubba

Or cabbage roll. What's the problem.

The trick seems to be getting the cabbage tender. I think cabbage rolls is
one of the most common foods around here, but restaurants don't often make
it right, because it's time consuming.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz > wrote:
> Victor Sack > wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>
>>> Search for recipes for holubky, holuptsi, or golabki.

>> Why just those three? Why not also golubtsy, Kohlrouladen, Krautwickel,
>> gevikelte kraut, praakes, halishkes, caponet, dolma, tolma, dolmades,
>> kalam dolmeh, sarma, or töltött káposzta?
>>
>> Bubba

> Or cabbage roll. What's the problem.
>
> The trick seems to be getting the cabbage tender. I think cabbage rolls is
> one of the most common foods around here, but restaurants don't often make
> it right, because it's time consuming.
>
> Greg

Got to have the rolls served with mashed potato, bread, and plenty of
juice. OMG.

Greg
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

This recipe from the frugal prevert is very good. Don't think I had any smoked pork butt on hand..sure it be ok to sub out hamburger meat for that stuff.

Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

2 Tbsp Freshly Rendered Lard Or Oil
3 Cloves Garlic Crushed
1 Medium Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Cup Seeded & Finely Chopped Anaheim Peppers Or Unseeded Chopped Cubanelle Peppers
1/2 Cup Long-Grain Rice
2 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper To Taste
1 Large Head Cabbage
1 24 Oz Jar Sauerkraut, Drained
1 Lb Finely Ground Pork
1 Egg
1/2 Lb Smoked Pork Butt, Sliced Garnish Paprika Gravy

Saute the garlic, onion and peppers in the lard or oil until tender. Add the rice, 1 cup of chicken stock, paprika, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool. Core the cabbage and carefully pull the leaves off, keeping them as whole as possible. Blanch the leaves in a large pot of salted water until pliable, about 2 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. This should be done in a couple of batches. Cut out the tough white base of each leaf. In a Dutch oven, spread 2 cups of the drained sauerkraut in the bottom of the bot; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the ground pork with the cooled rice mixture, egg, salt and pepper. Mix very well. Spread out a cabbage leaf on the countertop and roll up into a cylinder, folding in the sides as you roll.

Continue with the rest of the leaves; it may be necessary to piece together a couple of leaves tomake a nice roll. Arrange the rolls on the bed of sauerkraut in the pot. Place the pork slices atop the rolls and spread the remaining 1 cup of sauerkraut over all. Pour in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock. It should just cover the cabbage rolls. If not, add more stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, 15 minutes. This dish may be served with the paprika gravy on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Haffner View Post
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bigwheel > wrote:
> This recipe from the frugal prevert is very good. Don't think I had any
> smoked pork butt on hand..sure it be ok to sub out hamburger meat for
> that stuff.
>
> Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
>
> 2 Tbsp Freshly Rendered Lard Or Oil
> 3 Cloves Garlic Crushed
> 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
> 1 Cup Seeded & Finely Chopped Anaheim Peppers Or Unseeded Chopped
> Cubanelle Peppers
> 1/2 Cup Long-Grain Rice
> 2 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
> 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
> Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper To Taste
> 1 Large Head Cabbage
> 1 24 Oz Jar Sauerkraut, Drained
> 1 Lb Finely Ground Pork
> 1 Egg
> 1/2 Lb Smoked Pork Butt, Sliced Garnish Paprika Gravy
>
> Saute the garlic, onion and peppers in the lard or oil until tender. Add
> the rice, 1 cup of chicken stock, paprika, salt and pepper. Cover and
> simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool. Core the cabbage and
> carefully pull the leaves off, keeping them as whole as possible. Blanch
> the leaves in a large pot of salted water until pliable, about 2
> minutes. Drain and allow to cool. This should be done in a couple of
> batches. Cut out the tough white base of each leaf. In a Dutch oven,
> spread 2 cups of the drained sauerkraut in the bottom of the bot; set
> aside.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the ground pork with the cooled rice mixture,
> egg, salt and pepper. Mix very well. Spread out a cabbage leaf on the
> countertop and roll up into a cylinder, folding in the sides as you
> roll.
>
> Continue with the rest of the leaves; it may be necessary to piece
> together a couple of leaves tomake a nice roll. Arrange the rolls on the
> bed of sauerkraut in the pot. Place the pork slices atop the rolls and
> spread the remaining 1 cup of sauerkraut over all. Pour in the remaining
> 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock. It should just cover the cabbage rolls. If
> not, add more stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
> This dish may be served with the paprika gravy on the side.

Real pigs in the blanket. I don't think I ever had them like this but got
to be good.
I'm going to print that out.

Greg