Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taking the scrambling of eggs to the limit

The recent thread on how y'all like to scramble your eggs sent me
experimenting this morning:

Two eggs, separated. Whipped the whites into stiff peaks (using a
regular old-fashioned hand cranked beater), then folded in the yolks
and a handful of left-over shredded cheddar. Dumped the whole pile
(probably 4 cups) into a large buttered frying pan on low heat and let
it sit there until browned and somewhat firmed on the bottom, then
(carefully!) flipped it over and repeated for the other side, until it
stopped jiggling around.

So, yeah, a pan-fried souffle. The end result was about 8 inches in
diameter and 1.5 to 2 inches tall.

Tasted like (surprise, surprise), very light/airy scrambled eggs. Fun
experiment!

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:40:32 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

> The recent thread on how y'all like to scramble your eggs sent me
> experimenting this morning:
>
> Two eggs, separated. Whipped the whites into stiff peaks (using a
> regular old-fashioned hand cranked beater), then folded in the yolks
> and a handful of left-over shredded cheddar. Dumped the whole pile
> (probably 4 cups) into a large buttered frying pan on low heat and let
> it sit there until browned and somewhat firmed on the bottom, then
> (carefully!) flipped it over and repeated for the other side, until it
> stopped jiggling around.
>
> So, yeah, a pan-fried souffle. The end result was about 8 inches in
> diameter and 1.5 to 2 inches tall.
>
> Tasted like (surprise, surprise), very light/airy scrambled eggs. Fun
> experiment!

Don't they call those souffléd omelets?
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/omelet-souffle
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4...ouffl-omelette
http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/souffle-omelet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 2:17 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:40:32 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
>

> > wrote:
> > The recent thread on how y'all like to scramble your eggs sent me
> > experimenting this morning:

> > Two eggs, separated. Whipped the whites into stiff peaks (using a
> > regular old-fashioned hand cranked beater), then folded in the yolks
> > and a handful of left-over shredded cheddar. Dumped the whole pile
> > (probably 4 cups) into a large buttered frying pan on low heat and let
> > it sit there until browned and somewhat firmed on the bottom, then
> > (carefully!) flipped it over and repeated for the other side, until it
> > stopped jiggling around.

> > So, yeah, a pan-fried souffle. The end result was about 8 inches in
> > diameter and 1.5 to 2 inches tall.

> > Tasted like (surprise, surprise), very light/airy scrambled eggs. Fun
> > experiment!

> Don't they call those souffl d omelets?http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/o...souffle-omelet
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Sure, why not?

The only I did differently is letting them simply let them cook in the
pan until done, like regular scrambled eggs, instead of finishing them
off in the oven or under the broiler, as in the recipes you mention
(and which in retrospect I could have, perhaps should have done, too,
to save a bit of time.)

I'm not claiming any culinary brilliance here, just that it was fun.
Usually I'm a stir-'em-around-with-a-fork kind of egg scrambler.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:46:35 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2:17 pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:40:32 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> >

> > > wrote:
> > > The recent thread on how y'all like to scramble your eggs sent me
> > > experimenting this morning:

> > > Two eggs, separated. Whipped the whites into stiff peaks (using a
> > > regular old-fashioned hand cranked beater), then folded in the yolks
> > > and a handful of left-over shredded cheddar. Dumped the whole pile
> > > (probably 4 cups) into a large buttered frying pan on low heat and let
> > > it sit there until browned and somewhat firmed on the bottom, then
> > > (carefully!) flipped it over and repeated for the other side, until it
> > > stopped jiggling around.

> > > So, yeah, a pan-fried souffle. The end result was about 8 inches in
> > > diameter and 1.5 to 2 inches tall.

> > > Tasted like (surprise, surprise), very light/airy scrambled eggs. Fun
> > > experiment!

> > Don't they call those souffl d omelets?http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/o...souffle-omelet
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> Sure, why not?
>
> The only I did differently is letting them simply let them cook in the
> pan until done, like regular scrambled eggs, instead of finishing them
> off in the oven or under the broiler, as in the recipes you mention
> (and which in retrospect I could have, perhaps should have done, too,
> to save a bit of time.)
>
> I'm not claiming any culinary brilliance here, just that it was fun.
> Usually I'm a stir-'em-around-with-a-fork kind of egg scrambler.

I'm glad you liked your concoction and not putting it down - just
giving you a name for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> > I'm not claiming any culinary brilliance here, just that it was fun.
> > Usually I'm a stir-'em-around-with-a-fork kind of egg scrambler.

> I'm glad you liked your concoction and not putting it down - just
> giving you a name for them.

Everybody should save up their eggs and store them for months in a warm
place. Then mail them to sqwishy with a "Happy Birthday" card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> The recent thread on how y'all like to scramble your eggs sent me
> experimenting this morning:
>
> Two eggs, separated. Whipped the whites into stiff peaks (using a
> regular old-fashioned hand cranked beater), then folded in the yolks
> and a handful of left-over shredded cheddar. Dumped the whole pile
> (probably 4 cups) into a large buttered frying pan on low heat and let
> it sit there until browned and somewhat firmed on the bottom, then
> (carefully!) flipped it over and repeated for the other side, until it
> stopped jiggling around.
>
> So, yeah, a pan-fried souffle. The end result was about 8 inches in
> diameter and 1.5 to 2 inches tall.
>
> Tasted like (surprise, surprise), very light/airy scrambled eggs. Fun
> experiment!

It's called a soufflé omelet. I make them sometimes; they're a nice
departure from the normal breakfast/brunch fare. The last one I made had
a sweetened cream cheese filling and was topped with macerated
strawberries, but a savory approach is also good (as you found out!)

I have yet to try the method given in _Modernist Cuisine At Home_: You
make a very thin egg wrapper and a very smooth custard. The custard is
put into a nitrous-oxide foamer and dispensed as a cylinder of light egg
mousse down the middle of the wrapper. Then the wrapper is folded around
the mousse and served. I'm not sure it's really worth the trouble.

Bob