Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default yakqwa decoration?

I ran across this Korean Cookie recipe
http://www.honeyandbutter.com/asian/...cookies-yakgwa
a ginger-cinnamon cookie that gets deep fried-- then soaked in a
cinnamon flavored malt syrup -- and then gets some pine nut
decorations.

Then found this page with a much better looking 'flower' -- It makes
the pine nuts make sense to me.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...?newsIdx=30945

Can anyone recognize the centers of these? I am thinking I could go
with little spirals of candied orange peel-- but I don't think that's
what is shown, but I think it might work appearance, texture, and
flavor-wise.

Any thoughts on what else might make a good flower center?

Thanks
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:22:41 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I ran across this Korean Cookie recipe
> http://www.honeyandbutter.com/asian/...cookies-yakgwa
> a ginger-cinnamon cookie that gets deep fried-- then soaked in a
> cinnamon flavored malt syrup -- and then gets some pine nut
> decorations.
>
> Then found this page with a much better looking 'flower' -- It makes
> the pine nuts make sense to me.
> http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...?newsIdx=30945
>
> Can anyone recognize the centers of these? I am thinking I could go
> with little spirals of candied orange peel-- but I don't think that's
> what is shown, but I think it might work appearance, texture, and
> flavor-wise.
>
> Any thoughts on what else might make a good flower center?

No idea, but I don't think it's orange peel. Here's a better picture
for you. http://pianist93.files.wordpress.com...02/yakwa-4.jpg
It looks like a flat seed that resembles unpeeled almonds (cut in
half) and stuck onto some filling type thing which can be rolled.