Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default mouse in my drawers

Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers make a
good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5 drawers. One
the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and today there are
two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them out of my drawers
though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was wondering if there is
anything to do proactively. It's a older house with nooks and crannies and
little cracks. I've read a mouse can get through a hole the size of just a
pencil in diameter. I doubt I will ever be able to plug every crack.
Everyone says get a cat, but even then not all cats are mousers; and I don't
really want to get a cat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
> particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers make a
> good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5 drawers.
> One the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and today there
> are two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them out of my
> drawers though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was wondering if
> there is anything to do proactively. It's a older house with nooks and
> crannies and little cracks. I've read a mouse can get through a hole the
> size of just a pencil in diameter. I doubt I will ever be able to plug
> every crack. Everyone says get a cat, but even then not all cats are
> mousers; and I don't really want to get a cat.
>

>I know Al Gore invented the internet but *I* invented the cordless phone.
>Had a happy mouse venture in while I was on the phone. Phone and I left
>the building. Get some stainless steel scrubber pads. The SOS soapy ones
>will do but there's surely something cheaper. Stuff every entrance you can
>find. Meese specially enjoy oversize holes for undersink and hot water
>heater. Meanwhile . . . sterilize your silverware and seal it in zippy
>bags. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" wrote in message ...

Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers make a
good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5 drawers. One
the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and today there are
two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them out of my drawers
though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was wondering if there is
anything to do proactively. It's a older house with nooks and crannies and
little cracks. I've read a mouse can get through a hole the size of just a
pencil in diameter. I doubt I will ever be able to plug every crack.
Everyone says get a cat, but even then not all cats are mousers; and I don't
really want to get a cat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My childhood home was a very old frame house (approximately 100 years old
when we moved in). When I was in high school, we started having problems
with mice getting in the house. They especially headed for the kitchen
cabinets. Following instructions I had read, I got a *lot* of steel wood
(plain steel wool, *not* the type with soap embedded). I went all over the
house and carefully pushed steel wool into every niche and cranny--top to
bottom, from the basement to the second floor. I especially looked for any
spaces around water pipes. It took a lot of time and a lot of steel wool,
but it solved the problem. We did not have any more mice after I finished
my "mouse proofing."

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
> particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers make a
> good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5 drawers.
> One the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and today there
> are two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them out of my
> drawers though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was wondering if
> there is anything to do proactively. It's a older house with nooks and
> crannies and little cracks. I've read a mouse can get through a hole the
> size of just a pencil in diameter. I doubt I will ever be able to plug
> every crack. Everyone says get a cat, but even then not all cats are
> mousers; and I don't really want to get a cat.

A cat won't help. We had mice on Staten Island. My MIL had mice, even when
my cat was there. And my husband had mice in CA even though they let stray
cats into the building.

The only thing that will help is to find how they are getting in and block
that opening so they can't get in. In the case of my MIL's house and our
apartment on Staten Island, they were getting in somehow at the back of the
stove. They would get into the drawer underneath and go from there. I did
have an exterminator come and he said there was no way to keep them from
getting in there.

I don't know enough about how stoves are vented or whatever. I can't
remember the particulars on that stove there but most likely it was a gas
stove that probably had to be vented in some way. MIL had an electric
stove. Husband had no stove at all but was out in farm country.

Start with an exterminator. That's what I had to do here for rats. They
came around monthly until the problem lessened and now they only come 4
times a year.

When I had the mice, they only got in once. I had left a package of English
Muffins on the counter to take to my MIL's house the following morning.
Woke up to find the package chewed into. Also saw the cat watching the
stove like a hawk. I opened the drawer underneath quickly and saw and heard
a bit of grey fur scrambling up and out the back of it.

After that I bought two bread boxes and some plastic containers. I kept
everything in plastic back then. Everything that would be out, that is. I
didn't seem to have a problem with them getting into the pantry. But to be
safe, I moved anything that I thought they might eat up to a high shelf and
only kept canned goods on the lower shelves. That is what my friend told me
to do. At least that's what my friend told me to do. I have never kept any
food in drawers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" wrote in message ...
>
> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
> particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers make a
> good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5 drawers.
> One
> the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and today there are
> two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them out of my drawers
> though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was wondering if there is
> anything to do proactively. It's a older house with nooks and crannies
> and
> little cracks. I've read a mouse can get through a hole the size of just
> pencil in diameter. I doubt I will ever be able to plug every crack.
> Everyone says get a cat, but even then not all cats are mousers; and I
> don't
> really want to get a cat.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> My childhood home was a very old frame house (approximately 100 years old
> when we moved in). When I was in high school, we started having problems
> with mice getting in the house. They especially headed for the kitchen
> cabinets. Following instructions I had read, I got a *lot* of steel wood
> (plain steel wool, *not* the type with soap embedded). I went all over
> the house and carefully pushed steel wool into every niche and cranny--top
> to bottom, from the basement to the second floor. I especially looked for
> any spaces around water pipes. It took a lot of time and a lot of steel
> wool, but it solved the problem. We did not have any more mice after I
> finished my "mouse proofing."

That's what we did when I worked at K Mart. Might work for mice but not for
rats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 11:28*am, "l not -l" > wrote:

> Every winter, the mice who live in the garage decide they'd rather be
> inside. * I put a d-Con Mouse Prufe II wedge (container shape) by the
> garage door and a Tomcat bait block behind the refrigerator. * Since I
> have been doing that no mice, or mouse evidence, has been seen in the
> house. *The d-Con may be the most effective since I seem to never have
> to replace the Tomcat blocks; but, the d-Con pellets disappear and the
> wedge needs to be replaced.

I can't believe you people have not yet recognized that
"Somebody's" questions are lonely and desperate cries for attention.
I'm not saying he hasn't encountered a mouse problem, only that none
of your answers will ever be put to use. I'm just amazed none of you
seem to have recognized this by now. Of course now you can say,
"Well, if he's so desperate, aren't you even worse jumping in on top
of it?" To that I would say I understand, but I'm just telling you,
Somebody has a system, a method, a habit if you will, of asking one
question after the other and never accepting any of the answers as
workable. If this were the 1060s or some other pre-computer era,
Somebody would be responding to ads in the back of magazines just so
he can feel less lonely when the company information arrives in his
mailbox.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 23:16:44 -0500, "Somebody" >
wrote:

>Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
>turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
>particular the kitchen.

Mice chose your house to winter over because much more than warmth
they require food... keep your kitchen scrupulously clean and it will
attract far fewer mice... mice can live very well just from a dirty
stovetop/oven. If you have any edibles that mice can gnaw their way
into they will take up residence, cardboard boxes and plastic bags do
nothing to deter mice... soon as you arrive home from grocery shopping
transfer all dry foods into glass/metal containers... or buy an all
metal cabinet for storing dry goods. Even a cat won't help if there's
cat food left out, all you'll accomplish is to provide entertainment
for your cat, mice can't resist pet food. I buy dry cat food in the
largest size bags, but I store those bags in a steel trash can... I
have several galvanized 6 gallon trash cans... I have huge bags of
bird seed to store too. With six cats patroling mice don't last long
here, in fact it's rare one enters once they smell cat, but just to be
safe I store all dry goods in glass and metal.... I have many glass
jars filled with dry foods, especially gallon pickle jars; rice,
flour, sugar, etc. They needn't be fancy, no one sees them in a
pantry or on a basement shelf.
I have about a dozen of these for storage, in my gardening shed they
are good for storing seeds, especially grass seed. I have one in my
barn for storing cat food for the barn cat... the can hangs from a
hook, otherwise on the ground racoons will quickly learn to flip the
handle and lift the lid... don't bother asking how I know. But most
are in my basement for storing grains, pasta, etc... just leave the
foods in their original plastic bags and keep them in the can with the
lid on. These are a perfect size because full their weight is quite
managable. Empty plastic contractors buckets work too but I like the
galvanized steel cans better. I think they even look nice and I find
new uses for them all the time... read the description and the
reviews:
http://tinyurl.com/c8a6sq3
http://www.lowes.com/pd_195272-63872...lon&facetInfo=

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 22:37:04 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"MaryL" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Somebody" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
>> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
>> particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers make a
>> good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5 drawers.
>> One
>> the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and today there are
>> two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them out of my drawers
>> though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was wondering if there is
>> anything to do proactively. It's a older house with nooks and crannies
>> and
>> little cracks. I've read a mouse can get through a hole the size of just
>> pencil in diameter. I doubt I will ever be able to plug every crack.
>> Everyone says get a cat, but even then not all cats are mousers; and I
>> don't
>> really want to get a cat.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> My childhood home was a very old frame house (approximately 100 years old
>> when we moved in). When I was in high school, we started having problems
>> with mice getting in the house. They especially headed for the kitchen
>> cabinets. Following instructions I had read, I got a *lot* of steel wood
>> (plain steel wool, *not* the type with soap embedded). I went all over
>> the house and carefully pushed steel wool into every niche and cranny--top
>> to bottom, from the basement to the second floor. I especially looked for
>> any spaces around water pipes. It took a lot of time and a lot of steel
>> wool, but it solved the problem. We did not have any more mice after I
>> finished my "mouse proofing."

>That's what we did when I worked at K Mart. Might work for mice but not for
>rats.

Scrunched up galvanized chicken wire works much better for plugging
holes; mice, rats, and squirrels will easily gnaw through steelwool to
get to food, plus if exposed to the outdoors steel wool rusts away
very quickly. Rodents do not come indoors for warmth, they come
indoors because food is scarce outdoors during winter.. they will
typically haul the food they find back to their outside burrow. These
critters are well equiped to survive outdoors through the coldest
winters but they need to eat. If after plugging all the entryways you
find mice are still coming in from somewhere it's best to feed them
outdoors, then they won't come in... set up a birdfeeder nearby,
birdfood is cheap. Mice can even squeeze through the openings of a
bird suet cage to eat. Squirrel proof bird feeders are a marketing
ploy for extracting extra dollars from the pinheads, birds naturally
scatter more seed onto the ground than they eat from any birdfeeder,
more than enough to feed larger birds and rodents. After a bear got
my bird feeder I now place bird food on the table on my deck, better
entertainment for my cats too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message

If this were the 1060s or some other pre-computer era, Somebody would be
responding to ads in the back of magazines...
TJ
---

They had magazines in the 1060s?

In These Medieval Times? Witch Trials Quarterly? Holy Roman Empire News
and Report? Better Castles and Gardens? Architectural Digest? Good
Hovel Keeping? Illiterate's Digest? Alchemy Today? Philosophy
Illustrated? European Peasant Erotica? The England Journal of Barbering?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message
a system, a method, a habit if you will, of asking one question after the
other and never accepting any of the answers as
workable.
---

I just bought a stick blender-- on recommendations from here-- this morning
at the Penney's Outlet for only $14.99. So now I can try and make my own
hummus that others offered recipes for. I've had the ingredients for a
while. And I'm going to get some cauliflower to make some soup in the near
future, using the recipe that had been posted a while back... I tried
Freschetta pizza the other day (Brooklyn style), but it came out crispy on
top and a bit soggy in the middle. Not sure what happened there. I think I
will stick with DiGiornio's. I liked theirs.

No mouses in the drawers this morn. I set three traps last night; after
disposing of two miscreants yesterday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
>> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
>> particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers make
>> a good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5 drawers.
>> One the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and today there
>> are two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them out of my
>> drawers though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was wondering if
>> there is anything to do proactively. It's a older house with nooks and
>> crannies and little cracks. I've read a mouse can get through a hole the
>> size of just a pencil in diameter. I doubt I will ever be able to plug
>> every crack. Everyone says get a cat, but even then not all cats are
>> mousers; and I don't really want to get a cat.
>>

>>I know Al Gore invented the internet but *I* invented the cordless phone.
>>Had a happy mouse venture in while I was on the phone. Phone and I left
>>the building. Get some stainless steel scrubber pads. The SOS soapy ones
>>will do but there's surely something cheaper. Stuff every entrance you can
>>find. Meese specially enjoy oversize holes for undersink and hot water
>>heater. Meanwhile . . . sterilize your silverware and seal it in zippy
>>bags. Polly

MaryL says this too... I will look for steel wool. Not sure how to find
every crack... Friend mentioned they do like to climb up water pipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> Scrunched up galvanized chicken wire works much better for plugging
> holes; mice, rats, and squirrels will easily gnaw through steelwool to
> get to food, plus if exposed to the outdoors steel wool rusts away
> very quickly. Rodents do not come indoors for warmth, they come
> indoors because food is scarce outdoors during winter.. they will
> typically haul the food they find back to their outside burrow. These
> critters are well equiped to survive outdoors through the coldest
> winters but they need to eat. If after plugging all the entryways you
> find mice are still coming in from somewhere it's best to feed them
> outdoors, then they won't come in... set up a birdfeeder nearby,
> birdfood is cheap. Mice can even squeeze through the openings of a
> bird suet cage to eat. Squirrel proof bird feeders are a marketing
> ploy for extracting extra dollars from the pinheads, birds naturally
> scatter more seed onto the ground than they eat from any birdfeeder,
> more than enough to feed larger birds and rodents. After a bear got
> my bird feeder I now place bird food on the table on my deck, better
> entertainment for my cats too.

Odd thing is they were in drawers with no food. Well one had a rogue cheese
packet from a pizza place that I didn't mean to leave in there. But I
cleaned that last week and they came back: they were in the utensil drawer,
junk drawer, silverware drawer, and battery/misc keys drawer. The snickers
are on the other side of the kitchen in the middle wall of the house, and
guess they don't have a way to get up there. Never seen any signs of them
in those cabinets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 23:16:44 -0500, "Somebody" >
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers?

> KITCHEN drawers? THAT wasn't what I expected..

I believe you want the Richard Gere ng.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> When I had the mice, they only got in once. I had left a package of
> English Muffins on the counter to take to my MIL's house the following
> morning. Woke up to find the package chewed into. Also saw the cat
> watching the stove like a hawk.

My ex had a cat and it would sometimes stare intently at the oven... No
food in my drawers, but I do leave bread and tomatoes and garlic on the
counter. Never noticed those touched or any signs of mice on the counter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message
> Yes, you have to fill every single entry for wiring, plumbing electric,
> etc, from the outside, and some window and door sills have gaps underneath
> them that you don't see unless you get on the ground looking up or just
> feel around. Exterior basement doors may need weather stripping and/or
> caulking, too. Attic vents need metal window screening stapled over them
> from the inside.
>
> Susan

I don't think I can ever cover every nook and cranny in this house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 30-Nov-2012, "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When
>> it
>> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
>> particular the kitchen.

> d-Con Mouse Prufe II and/or Tomcat All-Weather Block Bait.
>
> Every winter, the mice who live in the garage decide they'd rather be
> inside. I put a d-Con Mouse Prufe II wedge (container shape) by the
> garage door and a Tomcat bait block behind the refrigerator. Since I
> have been doing that no mice, or mouse evidence, has been seen in the
> house. The d-Con may be the most effective since I seem to never have
> to replace the Tomcat blocks; but, the d-Con pellets disappear and the
> wedge needs to be replaced.
> --

Does that poison them? I wonder if Brooklyn's idea of leaving food outside
would work. But it sounds like it would just attract more critters. It's
just the beginning of getting cold and I would think still fair amount of
food around for mice outdoors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I can deal with needy, but I can't stand liars and TJ is a liar (he
> kids himself about being some sort of a "story teller" which is aka:
> liar AFAIC). At least somebody is likable, which is something TJ is
> not.

Thank you!

That made my day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message

> So, what was the point of your post, then?
>
> Susan

TJ likes to stir things up sometimes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I know Al Gore invented...

Just to clarify what many people who know little still don't know. The
internet was "invented" by an act of Congress whereby older military
mainframe computers were given up for civilian use thereby creating a
"backbone". Without this tcp/ip protocols and all the rest would be
internet but only local area networks.

This would not have happened had Al Gore not "take the initiative",
that is a been the primary contact for the legislative initiative, in
the "invention of the internet". Which is just what he said, just what
he did, and just what everybody at Fox and the GOP when they knowingly
lied about a lie for poltical power. And made the supreme court elect
George Bush fight two pointless wars and ruin the economy.
--
-- Beware the delicate, tiny, very talented celebrity starlets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-01 04:16:44 +0000, Somebody said:

> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When it
> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
> particular the kitchen. And they seem to think the kitchen drawers
> make a good bathroom for a mouse... There was evidence of them in 5
> drawers. One the silverware tray drawer. I set 3 traps yesterday, and
> today there are two less mouse in the world. I would like to keep them
> out of my drawers though. Traps with pb work after the fact, but was
> wondering if there is anything to do proactively. It's a older house
> with nooks and crannies and little cracks. I've read a mouse can get
> through a hole the size of just a pencil in diameter. I doubt I will
> ever be able to plug every crack. Everyone says get a cat, but even
> then not all cats are mousers; and I don't really want to get a cat.

If you have mouse poop in 5 drawers you have a REALLY big mouse
problem. Somewhere in your house you are likely providing them a steady
water supply. I suggest you call an exterminator pronto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 19:15:18 -0500, "Somebody" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

>> Scrunched up galvanized chicken wire works much better for plugging
>> holes; mice, rats, and squirrels will easily gnaw through steelwool to
>> get to food, plus if exposed to the outdoors steel wool rusts away
>> very quickly. Rodents do not come indoors for warmth, they come
>> indoors because food is scarce outdoors during winter.. they will
>> typically haul the food they find back to their outside burrow. These
>> critters are well equiped to survive outdoors through the coldest
>> winters but they need to eat. If after plugging all the entryways you
>> find mice are still coming in from somewhere it's best to feed them
>> outdoors, then they won't come in... set up a birdfeeder nearby,
>> birdfood is cheap. Mice can even squeeze through the openings of a
>> bird suet cage to eat. Squirrel proof bird feeders are a marketing
>> ploy for extracting extra dollars from the pinheads, birds naturally
>> scatter more seed onto the ground than they eat from any birdfeeder,
>> more than enough to feed larger birds and rodents. After a bear got
>> my bird feeder I now place bird food on the table on my deck, better
>> entertainment for my cats too.

>Odd thing is they were in drawers with no food. Well one had a rogue cheese
>packet from a pizza place that I didn't mean to leave in there. But I
>cleaned that last week and they came back: they were in the utensil drawer,
>junk drawer, silverware drawer, and battery/misc keys drawer. The snickers
>are on the other side of the kitchen in the middle wall of the house, and
>guess they don't have a way to get up there. Never seen any signs of them
>in those cabinets.

Like many wild animals mice (and all rodents) generally don't eat much
where they find food, rodents tend to carry food back to their nest.
Those droppings are from when mice are foraging for another food
source. You likely have several food sources in your house that
you're unaware of, you are going to have to do a top to bottom end to
end microscopic inspection. Very often mice can get inside a fridge
through the drain hole... when was the last time you cleaned that
drain pan under your fridge, mice use that for a water source. Clean
under your stove too... unless you're a very tidy person you'd be
amazed at what you will find under your appliances... most people
rarely if ever clean under their appliances, let alone their
furniture. If people eat all over your house ther will be bits o food
everywhere... when last did you put your hand down into that deep
crevice under your sofa cushions, you're liable to find all sorts of
food, even a few Twinkies. Do you have kids living in your house (any
age), dollars to donuts that's part of your rodent problem... kids
rarely put food away, they tend to hide it just like rats do. Growing
up with my brother he's eat in his room, then tossed empty unwashed
cans under his bed... he loved to snack on condensed soups straight
from the can. When mom found the disgusting cans he'd use that famous
legal defense, "I forgot". There are only two places in my house where
eating is permitted, the kitchen table and I sometimes snack in my
office at my PC, but no food is left uneaten and all crumbs are
immediately sucked up with my trusty Dust Buster. No eating is
permitted in my bedrooms, living room, bathrooms, and any other living
space. I don't have a diningroom, instead it was incorporated into my
livingroom, makes one huge room, 18' X 28'. My guests know that no
food or drink is permitted in my living room... the eat-in section of
my kitchen is larger than most dining rooms. I don't permit
aquaintence guests to wander my house, they are restricted to the
third where the kitchen and guest toilet is located. I abhor that
term "Make yourself to home"... don't you dare, or you should have
stayed home. There are very few people that I know well enough to
have as house guests.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 19:21:52 -0500, "Somebody" >
wrote:

>"Susan" > wrote in message
>> Yes, you have to fill every single entry for wiring, plumbing electric,
>> etc, from the outside, and some window and door sills have gaps underneath
>> them that you don't see unless you get on the ground looking up or just
>> feel around. Exterior basement doors may need weather stripping and/or
>> caulking, too. Attic vents need metal window screening stapled over them
>> from the inside.
>>
>> Susan

>I don't think I can ever cover every nook and cranny in this house.

No need, keep all food secured.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 19:25:10 -0500, "Somebody" >
wrote:

>"l not -l" > wrote in message
>>
>> On 30-Nov-2012, "Somebody" > wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have a good way to keep a mouse out of kitchen drawers? When
>>> it
>>> turns cooler, they seem to think my house is a good place to live, in
>>> particular the kitchen.

>> d-Con Mouse Prufe II and/or Tomcat All-Weather Block Bait.
>>
>> Every winter, the mice who live in the garage decide they'd rather be
>> inside. I put a d-Con Mouse Prufe II wedge (container shape) by the
>> garage door and a Tomcat bait block behind the refrigerator. Since I
>> have been doing that no mice, or mouse evidence, has been seen in the
>> house. The d-Con may be the most effective since I seem to never have
>> to replace the Tomcat blocks; but, the d-Con pellets disappear and the
>> wedge needs to be replaced.
>> --

>Does that poison them? I wonder if Brooklyn's idea of leaving food outside
>would work. But it sounds like it would just attract more critters. It's
>just the beginning of getting cold and I would think still fair amount of
>food around for mice outdoors.

I gaurantee that if you feed the birds it would be very rare for mice
to attempt entry... once they find a steady food source they won't
look further. I feed birds and squirrels on my deck, they don't eat
at night but that's when the mice feed. But you still need to secure
all food in your house, just don't need to plug every hole. My cats
patrol constantly, in ten years they only dispatched two mice, one in
my basement, one that was hiding under my fridge... picture six cats
surrounding the fridge for hours, eventually the mouse made a break
for it, it didn't get but a few inches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 12:42*pm, sf > wrote:

> I can deal with needy, but I can't stand liars and TJ is a liar (he
> kids himself about being some sort of a "story teller" which is aka:
> liar AFAIC). *At least somebody is likable, which is something TJ is
> not.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it sucks. The part I don't
like most, and don't believe as well, is you calling me a liar. I
happen to be the most honest person I've ever met. I never lie. I
know that is hard to believe but it's true. I would lie if I
absolutely had to, but I don't put myself in positions where I need to
lie - not to anyone, most of all to you. But if you choose to believe
I'm a liar there is nothing I can do about it, so adios on that note.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 1:09*pm, Susan > wrote:

> So, what was the point of your post, then?

My point was that I was irritated to see that Somebody posts all
those question-oriented screeds yet never accepts the answers of
anyone. He always has some excuse. He's like an addict looking to
quit drinking but trying to find halfway measures to deal with it such
as, "Well, how about if I water it down a little bit?", for example.

But I was not so much irritated with Somebody as I was with those
who answer his questions. I realize you're trying to be helpful, and
for all I know maybe you were helpful in regards to Somebody's
question. I'm just saying I know human behavior (or think I do), and
I have noticed over a long period that he has a way of not only asking
question that might on occasion be sincere, but he also has a habit of
ending his posts with a question not even related to the post, such as
for example a post about gardening, a question about it, and then
ending the post with a question like, "Did you see the latest episode
of Louie?" I think it's funny and sickening at the same time.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 3:40*pm, "l not -l" > wrote:

> Seems your regular need to comment on such things is also a desperate
> cry for attention. *If not, you'd simply delete his/her/its messages.
> Out of pity, I give this morsel of attention.

I admit my neediness and also proclaim that it is nowhere near as
great as that displayed by Somebody and now even more so by YOU and
your morsel-mongering grab at attention. We all deserve it.
Especially when we ask for it. Please for the love of God, listen to
me.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 3:19*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:

> In These Medieval Times? *Witch Trials Quarterly? * Holy Roman Empire News
> and Report? * *Better Castles and Gardens? *Architectural Digest? *Good
> Hovel Keeping? *Illiterate's Digest? * Alchemy Today? *Philosophy
> Illustrated? *European Peasant Erotica? *The England Journal of Barbering?

I don't do grammatical errors, it aint my bag.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote: To Somebody

> It really comes down to how much you want to be free of the mice.

How bad does he want to get rid of them? Well, so far I've
already seen him reject 3 suggestions, one of them yours. He can't
cover ever nook and cranny? Why have a house then? Taking care of a
home would drive me nuts. So he rejects that suggestion as well as
one from someone else on the basis of something about "poison". Just
take my word for it - you'll see it in time (everyone's different) -
Somebody likes to ask questions that only lead to more questions that
lead nowhere. It's just an observation, not an attack on the guy.
And it's a good observation or I wouldn't be mentioning it.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 12:32*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> *My cats patrol constantly, in ten years they only dispatched two mice, one in my basement, one that was hiding under my fridge...

They might have chawed down a few when you weren't looking.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's what I know about rodent control: exclusion is your first
line of defense. Use 1/8" or 1/4" hardware cloth, secured
over any opening.

If having housecats around is practical, so much the better.

Then, get rid of gross, unattended food sources. Mice are
vegetarian and things like bags of lawn seed or bird seed
can fuel entire nests.

If there are still some around, I have had luck with
Hav-a-Hart traps. Poisons are the least attractive option ...
you could have dead mouse sequestered somewhere in your walls.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:

> "Tommy Joe" wrote:
>
> If this were the 1060s or some other pre-computer era, Somebody would be
> responding to ads in the back of magazines...
> TJ
> ---
>
> They had magazines in the 1060s?
>
> In These Medieval Times? Witch Trials Quarterly? Holy Roman Empire News
> and Report? Better Castles and Gardens? Architectural Digest? Good
> Hovel Keeping? Illiterate's Digest? Alchemy Today? Philosophy
> Illustrated? European Peasant Erotica? The England Journal of Barbering?

LMAO! Good one, Somebody! I laughed and laughed at your response.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2012120118024015804-xxx@yyyzzz...

> If you have mouse poop in 5 drawers you have a REALLY big mouse problem.
> Somewhere in your house you are likely providing them a steady water
> supply. I suggest you call an exterminator pronto.

I caught two in traps the first night. They were little mice (kinda cute),
just couple inches or so... Last couple nights, four traps are still set
and no signs of any.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> I gaurantee that if you feed the birds it would be very rare for mice
> to attempt entry... once they find a steady food source they won't
> look further. I feed birds and squirrels on my deck, they don't eat
> at night but that's when the mice feed. But you still need to secure
> all food in your house, just don't need to plug every hole. My cats
> patrol constantly, in ten years they only dispatched two mice, one in
> my basement, one that was hiding under my fridge... picture six cats
> surrounding the fridge for hours, eventually the mouse made a break
> for it, it didn't get but a few inches.

I do have a bird feeder the previous owner left in the garage. I will try
that. I like birds and will look for some bird food. Still confused though
about them. They were in drawers that had no food or water in them ever,
except one that I mistakenly left a cheese packet in. I guess they were
scouting?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Here's what I know about rodent control: exclusion is your first
> line of defense. Use 1/8" or 1/4" hardware cloth, secured
> over any opening.
>
> If having housecats around is practical, so much the better.
>
> Then, get rid of gross, unattended food sources. Mice are
> vegetarian and things like bags of lawn seed or bird seed
> can fuel entire nests.
>
> If there are still some around, I have had luck with
> Hav-a-Hart traps. Poisons are the least attractive option ...
> you could have dead mouse sequestered somewhere in your walls.
>
> Steve

Thanks. I do try and keep a neat house. And never noticed any sign of them
in the pantry where I have a few snickers bars and reeses cups and rice and
some grains.... I once almost got into a fight with a mouse over a snickers
bar at an apartment I lived at years ago. Unbeknownst to me, a snickers had
fallen off the shelf, and in the morning I heard a crunching odd sound as I
was waking. I peered around the wall into the kitchen and this mouse was
devouring the bar that had fallen. It looked at me like: "this is mine--
go away!" I think it valued the snickers bar more than it's own life. I
got a broom and shooed it away. Not sure what happened to that mouse--
after a few days I didn't see it anymore. Maybe it died from complications
of diabetes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Somebody wrote:
>>
>> "Tommy Joe" wrote:
>>
>> If this were the 1060s or some other pre-computer era, Somebody would be
>> responding to ads in the back of magazines...
>> TJ
>> ---
>>
>> They had magazines in the 1060s?
>>
>> In These Medieval Times? Witch Trials Quarterly? Holy Roman Empire
>> News
>> and Report? Better Castles and Gardens? Architectural Digest? Good
>> Hovel Keeping? Illiterate's Digest? Alchemy Today? Philosophy
>> Illustrated? European Peasant Erotica? The England Journal of
>> Barbering?

> LMAO! Good one, Somebody! I laughed and laughed at your response.

Too bad European Peasant Erotica went out of business.... They had photos
of some lusty wenches! And in the 1060s, no airbrushing or cosmetic
surgery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message
On Dec 1, 3:19 pm, "Somebody" > wrote:

> In These Medieval Times? Witch Trials Quarterly? Holy Roman Empire News
> and Report? Better Castles and Gardens? Architectural Digest? Good
> Hovel Keeping? Illiterate's Digest? Alchemy Today? Philosophy
> Illustrated? European Peasant Erotica? The England Journal of Barbering?

I don't do grammatical errors, it aint my bag.

TJ

---

I love grammatical errors. Once at work (in the midwest bible belt US) we
got a memo from the trainer informing us about new training offerings. In
the email she said: Jihad training is coming up in a couple weeks and we
should all sign up... (We assumed she hit the wrong button when the spell
check ran.) On face value was very funny and everyone lol'ed about it for
days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" wrote: about mice

> They look kinda cute

I agree. But it's that prehensile tail that disturbs me. If
scientists could find a way to produce tail-less mice, or a way to
produce a bushier and more friendly looking tail, then I think their
cuteness would grow by leaps and bounds and their popularity in the
pet world would surpass that of the hamster and guinea pig. That
prehistoric, reptilian tail is creepy. Otherwise, cute little buggers
- the mice - and they can even be raised with a pet cat as long as
they know each other from childhood. Even then though, I wonder, if
left alone too long with the mouse - a tad of hunger, a small taste of
wildness in the brain, a sudden yearning to go back to the days of
stalk and kill - and you might come home to a mouse that is not only
tail-less but head-less and body-less as well.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 10:41*am, Susan > wrote:

> Yes, he bugs you and so do those who reply to him, yet you have yet to
> realize that the only logical and useful response is to kill file his
> threads and our responses, not try to moderate them out of existence.
>
> The problem is yours, as I see it.

There is no problem. I don't have the killfile function and
wouldn't use it even if I did. And if I ever did use it, wouldn't
killfile Somebody. I read some of his stuff. For Christ's sake, I
was merely commenting on his annoying and obvious penchant for asking
one question after another when it's obvious he's not really looking
for answers. Just an observation about a guy from whom I have seen
and read many posts. There is no problem. I made a comment. You
either don't agree or don't get what I meant, so no big deal, it's
over - now you can get back to helping Somebody get rid of his mice
problem as he's got other problems too many to count yet to come. I'm
a complainer too, but I'm not pretending to seek help when I bitch and
moan, just doing it because I like it or because I'm addicted to it or
because just plain goddamn feel like it.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-02 14:57:21 +0000, Somebody said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2012120118024015804-xxx@yyyzzz...
>
>> If you have mouse poop in 5 drawers you have a REALLY big mouse
>> problem. Somewhere in your house you are likely providing them a steady
>> water supply. I suggest you call an exterminator pronto.

> I caught two in traps the first night. They were little mice (kinda
> cute), just couple inches or so... Last couple nights, four traps are
> still set and no signs of any.

Not catching mice doesn't mean they aren't continuing to thrive. Again
an exterminator will have a better angle on a *complete* solution. Once
we were having problems and the real source of the problem (water
supply and food) was in the home next to hours, rather than our own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-02 15:19:17 +0000, l not -l said:

> On 1-Dec-2012, "Somebody" > wrote:

>>> d-Con Mouse Prufe II and/or Tomcat All-Weather Block Bait.
>>>
>>> Every winter, the mice who live in the garage decide they'd rather
>>> be inside. I put a d-Con Mouse Prufe II wedge (container shape) by
>>> the garage door and a Tomcat bait block behind the refrigerator. Since
>>> I have been doing that no mice, or mouse evidence, has been seen in
>>> the house. The d-Con may be the most effective since I seem to never
>>> have to replace the Tomcat blocks; but, the d-Con pellets disappear and
>>> the wedge needs to be replaced.

>> Does that poison them?

> Yes, they go back to their nests and die - never to be seen again.

The way many of these poisons work is to greatly dehydrate them and
they need even more water than usual. Sadly if you continue to provide
them a water supply their nest will be somewhere in your house, they
will die in your house and the stench will be intolerable.