Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default brussel sprouts

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:31:31 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I associate celery root with remoulade. (I think someone will
> probably shoot darts at me about now.)

Not me. Rémoulade isn't part of my normal food experience, including
restaurants... nor is celery root. I know I've seen fennel from time
to time, but I can't say I've ever seen celery root.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 11:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:31:31 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> > I associate celery root with remoulade. *(I think someone will
> > probably shoot darts at me about now.)

> Not me. *R moulade isn't part of my normal food experience, including
> restaurants... nor is celery root. *I know I've seen fennel from time
> to time, but I can't say I've ever seen celery root.

You might have thought it was some other sort of root vegetable. I've
seen it in local grocery stores, but more likely in Lunardi than a
Lucky. It has a beigey skit, but what stands out is its ton of
rootlets or rootlet stubs.

Next time you're in Union Square you can order the celery root salad
at Le Central. We ate there years ago, as a break from shopping on a
Saturday. Turned out to be Kentucky Derby day, when a dapper short
black man came in and ordered lunch at the bar. Chatting pleasantly
with the bartender, he turned out to be the mayor, Willie Brown. No
bodyguard or retinue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:31:31 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I associate celery root with remoulade. (I think someone will
>> probably shoot darts at me about now.)

> Not me. Rémoulade isn't part of my normal food experience, including
> restaurants... nor is celery root. I know I've seen fennel from time
> to time, but I can't say I've ever seen celery root.

I see both. I can't say that I gravitate toward either, but if I
saw a recipe that cried out for one or the other, I would buy it.