Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default salad croutons, home-made vs store-bought ?

Tonight I made some home-made salad croutons with some fresh sourdough
(cough, cough!) bread from a local grocery store. The bread was sliced
then cut into small cubes to make croutons. Baked the small bread cubes
in a very low oven to get 'stale'. After bread cubes became stale,
tossed them with EVOO and baked in the oven until toasty brown. Turned
out well enough, crunchy but rather tasteless. I did consider adding
some sort of garlic to the croutons, but bleu cheese dressing will be
used for the salad.

Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions

Sky, who's just curious

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Tonight I made some home-made salad croutons with some fresh sourdough
> (cough, cough!) bread from a local grocery store. The bread was sliced
> then cut into small cubes to make croutons. Baked the small bread cubes
> in a very low oven to get 'stale'. After bread cubes became stale, tossed
> them with EVOO and baked in the oven until toasty brown. Turned out well
> enough, crunchy but rather tasteless. I did consider adding some sort of
> garlic to the croutons, but bleu cheese dressing will be used for the
> salad.
>
> Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
> It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions
>
> Sky, who's just curious

cut bread in cubes, toss with olive oil, S&P, herbs if you wish, then oven
roast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/19/2012 11:11 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> Tonight I made some home-made salad croutons with some fresh sourdough
>> (cough, cough!) bread from a local grocery store. The bread was sliced
>> then cut into small cubes to make croutons. Baked the small bread cubes
>> in a very low oven to get 'stale'. After bread cubes became stale, tossed
>> them with EVOO and baked in the oven until toasty brown. Turned out well
>> enough, crunchy but rather tasteless. I did consider adding some sort of
>> garlic to the croutons, but bleu cheese dressing will be used for the
>> salad.
>>
>> Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
>> It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions
>>
>> Sky, who's just curious
>>

> cut bread in cubes, toss with olive oil, S&P, herbs if you wish, then oven
> roast.

Hehehe,

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/19/2012 11:41 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 23:02:00 -0500, Sky wrote:
>
>> Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
>> It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions

(snip)

> I made these 5 months ago and I purposely packaged them in glassine
> (not ziplock) bags knowing that I'd probably forget about them. That
> way they'll stay fresh longer - until I remember to use them! :-)
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7jd4z.jpg

Those are nice looking croutons

Sky, who had a very good salad with home-made croutons for dinner
earlier this evening!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Tonight I made some home-made salad croutons with some fresh sourdough
> (cough, cough!) bread from a local grocery store. The bread was sliced
> then cut into small cubes to make croutons. Baked the small bread cubes
> in a very low oven to get 'stale'. After bread cubes became stale, tossed
> them with EVOO and baked in the oven until toasty brown. Turned out well
> enough, crunchy but rather tasteless. I did consider adding some sort of
> garlic to the croutons, but bleu cheese dressing will be used for the
> salad.
>
> Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
> It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions
>
> Sky, who's just curious

I despise croutons and nobody in our house eats them but I did used to make
them quite a lot when I was cooking for my in-laws mainly only because they
always seemed to have a ton of stale bread in the house. My husband's aunt
and cousin used to work for a bakery. They would constantly bring over day
old things and with just my MIL and FIL in the house, they couldn't eat it
fast enough. When my MIL was well enough to cook, she would make bread
salad out of it.

Their bread was called Italian bread. It is something foreign to here.
They are in PA. It was a white bread but not soft textured. It was a bit
on the dry side but perhaps because I mostly only saw the day old version of
it. I would cut it in cubes and then give it a good coating of whatever
kind of fat they had in the house. Butter, margarine or if I brought some
in, olive oil. MIL never seemed to keep olive oil even though they were
Italian. Obviously I had to melt the butter or margarine first. From
there, I would season it. Always garlic. My in-laws LOVE garlic. Perhaps
some other herbs and if I had it, maybe a little Parmesan or Romano or
Asiago cheese. I would then toast these in the oven on some cookie sheets
lined with foil. I usually made quite a lot at a time because when we were
there,word would get out and people would often stop by for dinner. I often
would cook dinner for 20 people on the weekend because that many could stop
by. And if they didn't, the leftovers would still get eaten.

If I made these during the week, I made a much smaller amount of them. My
MIL was unable to eat them. She is on a special soft/minced diet. And
while my husband doesn't normally eat croutons at home, he would eat them
when I made them. So when I made a smaller amount, I would just sort of pan
fry the bread cubes in a skillet, again using the same fat and tossing the
seasonings in after they got slightly browned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Tonight I made some home-made salad croutons with some fresh sourdough
>(cough, cough!) bread from a local grocery store. The bread was sliced
>then cut into small cubes to make croutons. Baked the small bread cubes
>in a very low oven to get 'stale'. After bread cubes became stale,
>tossed them with EVOO and baked in the oven until toasty brown. Turned
>out well enough, crunchy but rather tasteless. I did consider adding
>some sort of garlic to the croutons, but bleu cheese dressing will be
>used for the salad.

Are garlic and blue cheese not friends? It would work for me.

>Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
>It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions

Preheat oven to 350
To about 6 cups of cubed 2-3 day old bread. [Italian, rye, whole
wheat subrolls, a baquette. . . . ]
Blend 5 cloves garlic and a tsp of salt in 3/4 cups of olive oil. [EV,
if you must- but I prefer just OO]
Drizzle oil over bread & stir in a large bowl until oil is
distributed.
Spread on a 1/2 sheet pan- bake until golden- I stir at about the 6
minute mark- and usually remove around 10-12.

That said- I do it more to use up bread than decorate salads-

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Tonight I made some home-made salad croutons with some fresh sourdough
> (cough, cough!) bread from a local grocery store. The bread was sliced
> then cut into small cubes to make croutons. Baked the small bread cubes
> in a very low oven to get 'stale'. After bread cubes became stale,
> tossed them with EVOO and baked in the oven until toasty brown. Turned
> out well enough, crunchy but rather tasteless. I did consider adding
> some sort of garlic to the croutons, but bleu cheese dressing will be
> used for the salad.
>
> Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
> It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions
>
> Sky, who's just curious

Mine usually go on a Caesar salad (home made dressing). I toss them
with garlic infused olive oil (sometimes add a little s&p too) and
bake them in the oven. I'm not eating the croutons straight and want
them to go with as much as possible (Caesar, Italian and vinaigrette),
so I'm not looking for anything highly flavored.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Tonight I made some home-made salad croutons with some fresh sourdough
>(cough, cough!) bread from a local grocery store. The bread was sliced
>then cut into small cubes to make croutons. Baked the small bread cubes
>in a very low oven to get 'stale'. After bread cubes became stale,
>tossed them with EVOO and baked in the oven until toasty brown. Turned
>out well enough, crunchy but rather tasteless. I did consider adding
>some sort of garlic to the croutons, but bleu cheese dressing will be
>used for the salad.
>
>Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
>It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions
>
>Sky, who's just curious

Chow mein noodles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 00:05:44 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>On 10/19/2012 11:41 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 23:02:00 -0500, Sky wrote:
>>
>>> Who makes home-made salad croutons and what is the recipe/method used?
>>> It'll be interesting to read all the ideas and suggestions

>(snip)
>>
>> I made these 5 months ago and I purposely packaged them in glassine
>> (not ziplock) bags knowing that I'd probably forget about them. That
>> way they'll stay fresh longer - until I remember to use them! :-)
>>
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7jd4z.jpg

>Those are nice looking croutons

I thought those are pet treats... they way too big to be croutons for
a human.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:11:24 AM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:

> s.
>

> cut bread in cubes, toss with olive oil, S&P, herbs if you wish, then oven
>
> roast.

I do the same with a cubed slice or two of my ABM bread. Only I just pan toast em. I can't see lighting an oven for a few croutons.
I would never think of buying them - just like bread crumbs. Can be made at home for a song. Gotta stretch that food buck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> On Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:11:24 AM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:
> >

> > s.
> >

> > cut bread in cubes, toss with olive oil, S&P, herbs if you wish, then oven
> >
> > roast.

> I do the same with a cubed slice or two of my ABM bread. Only I just pan toast em. I can't see lighting an oven for a few croutons.
> I would never think of buying them - just like bread crumbs. Can be made at home for a song. Gotta stretch that food buck.

And the ones that SW just sent a link for look like much better than you
could ever buy, imo. Never a recipe from him but I did save the process
info. I'll give it a try sometime and guess my own spices/herbs.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 09:08:55 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I do the same with a cubed slice or two of my ABM bread. Only I just pan toast em. I can't see lighting an oven for a few croutons.
> I would never think of buying them - just like bread crumbs. Can be made at home for a song. Gotta stretch that food buck.

Some of us buy them because we don't buy much bread and use up all of
what we buy.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila