Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default store-bought stock

I looked at Lucky's last week and noticed they had their stock
(chicken, turkey, beef, vegetable) mixed in with boxes of soup. I saw
mushroom and a tomato/roasted pepper soup that looked interesting, but
didn't buy them because the box clearly said "soup". Can anyone tell
me if they're good to use as stock too? TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I looked at Lucky's last week and noticed they had their stock
> (chicken, turkey, beef, vegetable) mixed in with boxes of soup. I saw
> mushroom and a tomato/roasted pepper soup that looked interesting, but
> didn't buy them because the box clearly said "soup". Can anyone tell
> me if they're good to use as stock too? TIA

Many, if not all of the canned soups contain some thickener, which you may
not want in stock. There's some even in Campbell's chicken noodle soup. I'm
sure you've thought of this.

I'm thinking of using Campbell's tomato soup as the base for an urgent "red
clam chowder". Whadya think of that?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> I'm thinking of using Campbell's tomato soup as the base for an urgent "red
> clam chowder". Whadya think of that?

Even back in the old days when there were some
good Campbell's soups, tomato wasn't one of them.

I just had tomato soup this morning that was
pretty good. Just a can of Trader Joe's tomato
paste, a packet of their concentrated chicken
stock, several large shots of their jalapeno
sauce, and water to make about a quart. It
had plenty of tomato, a bit of heat, and not
much salt. (I watch my salt very carefully.)

With slices of fresh sourdough bread to dip
in it, it was a fast and satisfying breakfast.
(By the way, why is a seeded baguette of
sourdough bread much cheaper than an unseeded
loaf of the same size at Trader Joe's? $1.69
vs. $2.29 if I recall correctly. You pay
60 cents for the absence of seeds. Of course,
I won't pull an Andy over something like this.
I don't mind seeds.)

Getting back to your question, I think a can
of tomato paste has so many uses and can be
fixed up in so many ways it's a much better
raw material to keep on hand than a canned soup.
A canned soup has salt, sugar, thickeners,
flavor enhancers, etc. designed to work together
within a narrower range, hence it is less
flexible than tomato paste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:25:42 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > I looked at Lucky's last week and noticed they had their stock
> > (chicken, turkey, beef, vegetable) mixed in with boxes of soup. I saw
> > mushroom and a tomato/roasted pepper soup that looked interesting, but
> > didn't buy them because the box clearly said "soup". Can anyone tell
> > me if they're good to use as stock too? TIA
> >

> Many, if not all of the canned soups contain some thickener, which you may
> not want in stock. There's some even in Campbell's chicken noodle soup. I'm
> sure you've thought of this.

Unfortunately, I didn't stand there and read the boxes... so I thought
I'd ask here and hope somebody could tell me why the boxed stocks and
soups are interspersed together.

> I'm thinking of using Campbell's tomato soup as the base for an urgent "red
> clam chowder". Whadya think of that?

I think that tomato & roasted red pepper soup might be more
interesting. Check the salt levels. I didn't even do that much.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:23:38 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> I just had tomato soup this morning that was
> pretty good. Just a can of Trader Joe's tomato
> paste, a packet of their concentrated chicken
> stock, several large shots of their jalapeno
> sauce, and water to make about a quart. It
> had plenty of tomato, a bit of heat, and not
> much salt. (I watch my salt very carefully.)

I bought some TJ's vegetable stock last week and was surprised at how
aromatic it is. Are the chicken and beef stocks as rich?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-15, sf > wrote:

> I'd ask here and hope somebody could tell me why the boxed stocks and
> soups are interspersed together.

Harder to find 'em when their located in the toiletries section. duh

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:23:38 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> > I just had tomato soup this morning that was
> > pretty good. Just a can of Trader Joe's tomato
> > paste, a packet of their concentrated chicken
> > stock, several large shots of their jalapeno
> > sauce, and water to make about a quart. It
> > had plenty of tomato, a bit of heat, and not
> > much salt. (I watch my salt very carefully.)

> I bought some TJ's vegetable stock last week and was surprised at how
> aromatic it is. Are the chicken and beef stocks as rich?

I've tried the vegetable stock, and it's fine,
but I prefer chicken stock. I don't think it
would be possible to make a vegetable stock
I'd prefer over chicken. I haven't tried the
beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:26:20 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:23:38 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I just had tomato soup this morning that was
> > > pretty good. Just a can of Trader Joe's tomato
> > > paste, a packet of their concentrated chicken
> > > stock, several large shots of their jalapeno
> > > sauce, and water to make about a quart. It
> > > had plenty of tomato, a bit of heat, and not
> > > much salt. (I watch my salt very carefully.)

> > I bought some TJ's vegetable stock last week and was surprised at how
> > aromatic it is. Are the chicken and beef stocks as rich?

> I've tried the vegetable stock, and it's fine,
> but I prefer chicken stock. I don't think it
> would be possible to make a vegetable stock
> I'd prefer over chicken. I haven't tried the beef.

I'll pick up their chicken and beef soon and give them a try. Thanks.
I've been buying the Organics brand stock in a box, which is pretty
good as far as sodium content. The TJ veg broth is only 140 mg of
sodium per cup. How much does the low sodium chicken say it has?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I looked at Lucky's last week and noticed they had their stock
> (chicken, turkey, beef, vegetable) mixed in with boxes of soup. I saw
> mushroom and a tomato/roasted pepper soup that looked interesting, but
> didn't buy them because the box clearly said "soup". Can anyone tell
> me if they're good to use as stock too? TIA

Dumping a compatible can of soup into a broth you're making won't hurt
and may enhance it. Adding enough cans of soup to a pot to make a broth
would be an expensive broth in my estimation.
Stock and soups are close together in my grocery stores. I haven't seen
them intermingled.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I'll pick up their chicken and beef soon and give them a try. Thanks.
> I've been buying the Organics brand stock in a box, which is pretty
> good as far as sodium content. The TJ veg broth is only 140 mg of
> sodium per cup. How much does the low sodium chicken say it has?

Where do you get that from? I just checked both,
and they are both 360 mg per serving, which is one
pouch said to make a cup. I use one pouch per quart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:35:07 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I'll pick up their chicken and beef soon and give them a try. Thanks.
> > I've been buying the Organics brand stock in a box, which is pretty
> > good as far as sodium content. The TJ veg broth is only 140 mg of
> > sodium per cup. How much does the low sodium chicken say it has?

> Where do you get that from? I just checked both,
> and they are both 360 mg per serving, which is one
> pouch said to make a cup. I use one pouch per quart.

Pouch? My TJ stock in a box is a standard boxed broth, not a
concentrate. The information came from the Nutrition Facts on the
side of the box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:30:06 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> Stock and soups are close together in my grocery stores. I haven't seen
> them intermingled.

It was very confusing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 11:15*am, sf > wrote:
> I looked at Lucky's last week and noticed they had their stock
> (chicken, turkey, beef, vegetable) mixed in with boxes of soup. *I saw
> mushroom and a tomato/roasted pepper soup that looked interesting, but
> didn't buy them because the box clearly said "soup". *Can anyone tell
> me if they're good to use as stock too? *TIA

You can put anything you'd like in such pureed soups. By the way, the
tomato/roasted red pepper tetrabrik is available at Trader Joe's at a
lower price as a house brand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:34:57 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> By the way, the
> tomato/roasted red pepper tetrabrik is available at Trader Joe's at a
> lower price as a house brand.

I still don't know what a tetrabrik is. Is it fresh, frozen, what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:34:57 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
>
>> By the way, the
>> tomato/roasted red pepper tetrabrik is available at Trader Joe's at a
>> lower price as a house brand.

> I still don't know what a tetrabrik is. Is it fresh, frozen, what?

And you can't manage to Google it? It is the packaging that you now buy
liters of chicken stock, milk and other items in. You've seen them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

>> I still don't know what a tetrabrik is. Is it fresh, frozen, what?

> And you can't manage to Google it? It is the packaging that you now buy
> liters of chicken stock, milk and other items in. You've seen them.

Maybe she hasn't. Remember, she also said she's never seen General Tso's
chicken or daytime running lights.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>
>>> I still don't know what a tetrabrik is. Is it fresh, frozen, what?

>> And you can't manage to Google it? It is the packaging that you now buy
>> liters of chicken stock, milk and other items in. You've seen them.

> Maybe she hasn't. Remember, she also said she's never seen General Tso's
> chicken or daytime running lights.
>
> Bob

LOL, that's right! And no one in SF uses gas grills...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:55:44 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
>
> >> I still don't know what a tetrabrik is. Is it fresh, frozen, what?

> > And you can't manage to Google it? It is the packaging that you now buy
> > liters of chicken stock, milk and other items in. You've seen them.

> Maybe she hasn't. Remember, she also said she's never seen General Tso's
> chicken or daytime running lights.

I still haven't seen either one. Running lights aren't head lights,
they aren't fog lights, they're parking lights and General Tso hasn't
made it to General where I eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 7:10*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:55:44 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>
> > wrote:

> > > And you can't manage to Google it? It is the packaging that you now buy
> > > liters of chicken stock, milk and other items in. You've seen them.

> > Maybe she hasn't. Remember, she also said she's never seen General Tso's
> > chicken or daytime running lights.

> I still haven't seen either one. *Running lights aren't head lights,
> they aren't fog lights, they're parking lights and General Tso hasn't
> made it to General where I eat.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

In Boston, General Tso's chicken is called General Gao's chicken.
I've also seen it spelled General Cho's chicken. Maybe there's a
variation in spelling.
Daytime running lights are the headlights that run all the time,
whether you turn them on or not.
They are not "running lights" that happen to be on during the daytime.
They are "daytime running" lights. The word running pertains to
daytime, when they run. Not a specific type of lights.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 10:51*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:34:57 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
>
> > wrote:
> > By the way, the
> > tomato/roasted red pepper tetrabrik is available at Trader Joe's at a
> > lower price as a house brand.

> I still don't know what a tetrabrik is. *Is it fresh, frozen, what?

http://hypatia.morelos.gob.mx/No10/i.../tetrabrik.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 7:02*am, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:
> On Apr 17, 7:10*am, sf > wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:55:44 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"

> > > wrote:

> > > Maybe she hasn't. Remember, she also said she's never seen General Tso's
> > > chicken or daytime running lights.

> > I still haven't seen either one. *Running lights aren't head lights,
> > they aren't fog lights, they're parking lights and General Tso hasn't
> > made it to General where I eat.

> > --

> > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

> In Boston, General Tso's chicken is called General Gao's chicken.
> I've also seen it spelled General Cho's chicken. Maybe there's a
> variation in spelling.

Looking on yelp in san francisco, Chinese restaurants serve General
Tso's* chicken, General Tsao's chicken, General Tsou's chicken,
General Tao's chicken, General Gao's chicken, General Chao's chicken,
General Cho's chicken, but mostly just General's chicken or even
general chicken. In general.

*Hunan Garden provides the most complete name: General Tso Tsung-
T'ang's chicken."The most famous Hunanese dish, paradoxically invented
in New York, and unknown in Hunan."

> Daytime running lights are the headlights that run all the time,
> whether you turn them on or not.
> They are not "running lights" that happen to be on during the daytime.
> They are "daytime running" lights. The word running pertains to
> daytime, when they run. Not a specific type of lights.

The Canadians first mandated them, to avoid headon collisions on their
many two-lane roads: white lights in the front of the car that can be
seen from a distance. Then they started popping up here, because of
the extra cost of distinguishing cars destined for Canada from those
destined for the US. One American car we had had separate DRLs that
went out when you put on the headlights. Our latest car simply keeps
the headlights on all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 04:10:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:55:44 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>> > And you can't manage to Google it? It is the packaging that you now buy
>> > liters of chicken stock, milk and other items in. You've seen them.

>> Maybe she hasn't. Remember, she also said she's never seen General Tso's
>> chicken or daytime running lights.
>>

>I still haven't seen either one. Running lights aren't head lights,
>they aren't fog lights, they're [BJ] parking lights and General Tso hasn't
>made it to [Dollar] General where I eat.

Tetrabrics are what you have in your cranium in lieu of a brain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 10:02*am, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:
> On Apr 17, 7:10*am, sf > wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:55:44 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"

> > > wrote:

> > > Maybe she hasn't. Remember, she also said she's never seen General Tso's
> > > chicken or daytime running lights.

> > I still haven't seen either one. *Running lights aren't head lights,
> > they aren't fog lights, they're parking lights and General Tso hasn't
> > made it to General where I eat.

> > --

> > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

> In Boston, General Tso's chicken is called General Gao's chicken.
> I've also seen it spelled General Cho's chicken. Maybe there's a
> variation in spelling.
> Daytime running lights are the headlights that run all the time,
> whether you turn them on or not.
> They are not "running lights" that happen to be on during the daytime.
> They are "daytime running" lights. The word running pertains to
> daytime, when they run. Not a specific type of lights.

My 5-year-old Toyota has running lights that are almost as bright as
the headlights and go off when the headlights go on. It has parking
lights too. The only sure way to know that you're seeing running
lights is checking that the tail lights are off. I wouldn't be likely
to notice.

Jerry
--
"The rights of the best of men are secured only as the
rights of the vilest and most abhorrent are protected."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:58:11 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 10:51*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:34:57 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > By the way, the
> > > tomato/roasted red pepper tetrabrik is available at Trader Joe's at a
> > > lower price as a house brand.

> > I still don't know what a tetrabrik is. *Is it fresh, frozen, what?

> http://hypatia.morelos.gob.mx/No10/i.../tetrabrik.jpg

Okay, thanks so it's your way of saying "box"? I looked at mine. The
two from Safeway say Tera Pak and the one from Trader Joe's has
*nothing* on it. Better check your box before calling a terabrik. In
any case, what do you think of using the tomato/roasted red pepper as
a base? I will assume it's labeled "soup" too. Actually, I haven't
noticed that one at TJ's, just at Luckys, probably because TJ's
separates their soups from their stock/broth and I buy broth in a box,
not soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:50:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

>On Apr 17, 10:02*am, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
>wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 7:10*am, sf > wrote:
>>

>> > On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:55:44 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"

>> > I still haven't seen either one. *Running lights aren't head lights,
>> > they aren't fog lights, they're parking lights and General Tso hasn't
>> > made it to General where I eat.

>> > --

>> > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

>> In Boston, General Tso's chicken is called General Gao's chicken.
>> I've also seen it spelled General Cho's chicken. Maybe there's a
>> variation in spelling.
>> Daytime running lights are the headlights that run all the time,
>> whether you turn them on or not.
>> They are not "running lights" that happen to be on during the daytime.
>> They are "daytime running" lights. The word running pertains to
>> daytime, when they run. Not a specific type of lights.

>My 5-year-old Toyota has running lights that are almost as bright as
>the headlights and go off when the headlights go on. It has parking
>lights too. The only sure way to know that you're seeing running
>lights is checking that the tail lights are off. I wouldn't be likely
>to notice.

Daytime running lights on late model vehicals come on when the engine
comes on, with a slight delay so there is no battery drain during
ignition, with some lamps they are the same as headlights, with some
lamps they are a separate portion of the same headlights folks turn on
at night, like low beams and high beams are typically different
portions of the same lamp. Nowadays headlight lamps are multipurpose,
they can be fog lights too. Different vehicals employ different
systems but daytime running lights cannot be turned off while the
engine is running, same as late model motorcycles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> My 5-year-old Toyota has running lights that are almost as bright as
> the headlights and go off when the headlights go on. It has parking
> lights too. The only sure way to know that you're seeing running
> lights is checking that the tail lights are off. I wouldn't be likely
> to notice.

So, you're saying running lights are the headlights without tail
lights.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 11:55*pm, sf > wrote:

> So, you're saying running lights are the headlights without tail
> lights.

No. Separate bulbs. Note the words "*almost* as bright."

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/15/2011 11:25 AM, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>
>> I looked at Lucky's last week and noticed they had their stock
>> (chicken, turkey, beef, vegetable) mixed in with boxes of soup. I saw
>> mushroom and a tomato/roasted pepper soup that looked interesting, but
>> didn't buy them because the box clearly said "soup". Can anyone tell
>> me if they're good to use as stock too? TIA
>>

> Many, if not all of the canned soups contain some thickener, which you may
> not want in stock. There's some even in Campbell's chicken noodle soup. I'm
> sure you've thought of this.
>
> I'm thinking of using Campbell's tomato soup as the base for an urgent "red
> clam chowder". Whadya think of that?

Oh, god, better off dipping the clams in powdered sugar. That stuff has
gotten so SWEET! There is no clam chowder emergency so urgent, trust me.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:40:46 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> On Apr 17, 11:55*pm, sf > wrote:

> > So, you're saying running lights are the headlights without tail
> > lights.

> No. Separate bulbs. Note the words "*almost* as bright."

Does the light come out of the same place the head lights are in?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:55:56 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:50:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
>wrote:
>
>> My 5-year-old Toyota has running lights that are almost as bright as
>> the headlights and go off when the headlights go on. It has parking
>> lights too. The only sure way to know that you're seeing running
>> lights is checking that the tail lights are off. I wouldn't be likely
>> to notice.

>So, you're saying running lights are the headlights without tail
>lights.

Usually.
My 'daytime running lights' [2001 Impala] are no different than the
headlights. Low beams are on during the day--- when it gets dark, it
just switches to regular headlights & taillights. I haven't touched
the switch in 10 years.

There is no standard. It is whatever the manufacturer chooses to
use.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My car automatically turns on the running lights - which I like. I
used to have to activate 'em manually and try to remember to turn 'em
off when I parked. They're a real boon, esp. when the car blends in
with the landscape and it's approaching dusk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:55:56 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:50:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> My 5-year-old Toyota has running lights that are almost as bright as
> >> the headlights and go off when the headlights go on. It has parking
> >> lights too. The only sure way to know that you're seeing running
> >> lights is checking that the tail lights are off. I wouldn't be likely
> >> to notice.

> >So, you're saying running lights are the headlights without tail
> >lights.

> Usually.
> My 'daytime running lights' [2001 Impala] are no different than the
> headlights. Low beams are on during the day--- when it gets dark, it
> just switches to regular headlights & taillights. I haven't touched
> the switch in 10 years.
>
> There is no standard. It is whatever the manufacturer chooses to
> use.

Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2011 9:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:35:07 -0800, Mark >
> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll pick up their chicken and beef soon and give them a try. Thanks.
>>> I've been buying the Organics brand stock in a box, which is pretty
>>> good as far as sodium content. The TJ veg broth is only 140 mg of
>>> sodium per cup. How much does the low sodium chicken say it has?

>> Where do you get that from? I just checked both,
>> and they are both 360 mg per serving, which is one
>> pouch said to make a cup. I use one pouch per quart.

> Pouch? My TJ stock in a box is a standard boxed broth, not a
> concentrate. The information came from the Nutrition Facts on the
> side of the box.

Besides the boxed chicken stock, TJ's also sells liquid chicken stock
concentrate in pouches. It's called Trader Joe’s Savory Broth Chicken
Flavor. 360 mg sodium per cup.

Their low sodium chicken stock in a box has 70 mg sodium per 1 cup
serving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:48:10 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:55:56 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:50:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> My 5-year-old Toyota has running lights that are almost as bright as
> >> the headlights and go off when the headlights go on. It has parking
> >> lights too. The only sure way to know that you're seeing running
> >> lights is checking that the tail lights are off. I wouldn't be likely
> >> to notice.

> >So, you're saying running lights are the headlights without tail
> >lights.

> Usually.
> My 'daytime running lights' [2001 Impala] are no different than the
> headlights. Low beams are on during the day--- when it gets dark, it
> just switches to regular headlights & taillights. I haven't touched
> the switch in 10 years.
>
> There is no standard. It is whatever the manufacturer chooses to
> use.

Okay. I just call them headlights. Before constant on headlights
happened, people used to use their parking lights as "running"
lights... or at least that's the way the terminology was taught to me.
I don't call anything running lights. It's as cutesy and
uninformative a term as terapak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:09:16 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> My car automatically turns on the running lights - which I like. I
> used to have to activate 'em manually and try to remember to turn 'em
> off when I parked. They're a real boon, esp. when the car blends in
> with the landscape and it's approaching dusk.

And you're the one driving into the sun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:27:25 -0500, Hell Toupee >
wrote:

> Besides the boxed chicken stock, TJ's also sells liquid chicken stock
> concentrate in pouches. It's called Trader Joe’s Savory Broth Chicken
> Flavor. 360 mg sodium per cup.
>
> Their low sodium chicken stock in a box has 70 mg sodium per 1 cup
> serving.

Thanks. I didn't see that when I was looking at boxed stock, maybe my
TJ's is too small. It's pretty little as far as TJ's go. I'll try to
remember to look or ask for it. I'll assume that you like it just as
well as the box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:40:46 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
>wrote:
>
>> On Apr 17, 11:55*pm, sf > wrote:
>> > So, you're saying running lights are the headlights without tail
>> > lights.

>> No. Separate bulbs. Note the words "*almost* as bright."
>>

>Does the light come out of the same place the head lights are in?

They are not necessarilly separate bulbs. Todays headlamps are
multifunctional, they can contain the daytime running light feature
same as they contain the high beam feature, and many also contain the
fog lamp feature... depends on vehical model but of late most are
single multi function lamps. Automobile headlamps have come a long
way, some types are quite pricy, some can even bend lightbeams to
illuminate around corners, very handy on rural country roads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 9:56*am, sf > wrote:

> *It's as cutesy and
> uninformative a term as terapak.

Or Kleenex, or Tampax, or Crisco.

Every soup/stock carton I have from TJ's says Tetra Brik on the
bottom. The Tetra Brik predates the ubiquitous juice box in fact.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Okay. I just call them headlights. Before constant on headlights
> happened, people used to use their parking lights as "running"
> lights... or at least that's the way the terminology was taught to me.
> I don't call anything running lights. It's as cutesy and
> uninformative a term as terapak.

....or General Tso's Chicken. And since you don't like (or understand) any of
those terms, you simply deny the existence of those things. How strange.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:17:30 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > Okay. I just call them headlights. Before constant on headlights
> > happened, people used to use their parking lights as "running"
> > lights... or at least that's the way the terminology was taught to me.
> > I don't call anything running lights. It's as cutesy and
> > uninformative a term as terapak.

> ...or General Tso's Chicken. And since you don't like (or understand) any of
> those terms, you simply deny the existence of those things. How strange.

Bob, you're always taking what I say and making it an absolute truth.
When I say I haven't seen it, I haven't. So you eat at restaurants
that serve American inventions like chop suey and General what's his
name chicken. I don't.