Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default peameal bacon

traversing the web after hitting on the wikilink for Montreal Style smoked
meat, I came across peameal bacon. It says it is slow cured - but no
specifics. Anyone have any specifics?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/10/2012 3:46 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> traversing the web after hitting on the wikilink for Montreal Style smoked
> meat, I came across peameal bacon. It says it is slow cured - but no
> specifics. Anyone have any specifics?

It is pork loin that has been brined and then it is rolled in corn meal
(not pea meal anymore). Wikipedia says it is often served in sandwiches,
but to the best of my recollection, peameal bacon sandwiches are a
relatively new item. We always had it fried and served alongside side
bacon, or on its own.

My wife sometimes simmers a big chunk of it in apple juice and then
bakes it with a glaze (mustard, brown sugar and flour) and everyone who
has had it has raved about it. The apple juice removes some of the
saltiness and make sit melt in your mout tender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 15:57:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> It is pork loin that has been brined and then it is rolled in corn meal
> (not pea meal anymore). Wikipedia says it is often served in sandwiches,
> but to the best of my recollection, peameal bacon sandwiches are a
> relatively new item. We always had it fried and served alongside side
> bacon, or on its own.

Does it make a good BLT?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 12:46:35 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> traversing the web after hitting on the wikilink for Montreal Style smoked
> meat, I came across peameal bacon. It says it is slow cured - but no
> specifics. Anyone have any specifics?

Did you already find the Epicurious recipe? It has some details,
including how to make real peameal.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...l-Bacon-368929

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/10/2012 5:00 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 15:57:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> It is pork loin that has been brined and then it is rolled in corn meal
>> (not pea meal anymore). Wikipedia says it is often served in sandwiches,
>> but to the best of my recollection, peameal bacon sandwiches are a
>> relatively new item. We always had it fried and served alongside side
>> bacon, or on its own.

> Does it make a good BLT?

Sure. It is delicious. Most people prefer it to side bacon.
I get really good side bacon at the local butcher shop and he also sells
great peameal. I usually only have bacon for breakfast one every week or
two, but I occasionally have a toasted peameal sandwich. Ketchup is
essential, unless you have nice fresh tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 7, 12:46*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> traversing the web after hitting on the wikilink for Montreal Style smoked
> meat, I came across peameal bacon. *It says it is slow cured - but no
> specifics. *Anyone have any specifics?

So it's Canadian Bacon......at least that is what we call it in the
lower 48.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/10/2012 6:48 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Oct 7, 12:46 pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
>> traversing the web after hitting on the wikilink for Montreal Style smoked
>> meat, I came across peameal bacon. It says it is slow cured - but no
>> specifics. Anyone have any specifics?

> So it's Canadian Bacon......at least that is what we call it in the
> lower 48.

The curious thing is that I have only seen "Canadian Bacon" I have ever
seen in local grocery stores here, and I have only seen it twice, and
tried it once, was more like a smoked product. It was definitely not
peameal.

Bacon Jam ImStillMags General Cooking 11 04-07-2011 10:35 PM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM
Peameal bacon... is it worth it? [email protected] General Cooking 30 27-11-2005 04:48 AM