Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My first red beans & rice

....that I've made from scratch.

I'm not a big rice fan, but love beans. So, to stretch that limited
income dollar, I'm making red beans and rice. So we don't get off on
another stupid red vs kidney bean tangent, I bought and used beans
labeled "red kidney beans". 'nuff said....

I'm using chuck tagart's recipe from the gumbo pages. All this time I
thought he was a working chef. I was wrong. He's a freakin' disc
jockey and wannabe southern gentleman. In short, a flim-flam man! Oh
well, I've always found his recipes to be excellent, so I went with it.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

I had some andouille sausage, but discovered they were a)
turkey/chicken shit, and b) spoiled, after only two days outta the
freezer. Nevermind. I hate chicken/turkey based faux crap meat,
anyway.

I had a big ol' ham hock and all fresh trinity veggies, so that's
good. I also had some leftover elk summer sausage, which is very
flavorful. I added that instead of andouille, which I can't do-ie, cuz
I un-douilled it into the trash.

I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a try.
I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like the big farts the next day... one of the joys of living alone.

"notbob" > wrote in message
> ...that I've made from scratch.
>
> I'm not a big rice fan, but love beans. So, to stretch that limited
> income dollar, I'm making red beans and rice. So we don't get off on
> another stupid red vs kidney bean tangent, I bought and used beans
> labeled "red kidney beans". 'nuff said....
>
> I'm using chuck tagart's recipe from the gumbo pages. All this time I
> thought he was a working chef. I was wrong. He's a freakin' disc
> jockey and wannabe southern gentleman. In short, a flim-flam man! Oh
> well, I've always found his recipes to be excellent, so I went with it.
>
> http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html
>
> I had some andouille sausage, but discovered they were a)
> turkey/chicken shit, and b) spoiled, after only two days outta the
> freezer. Nevermind. I hate chicken/turkey based faux crap meat,
> anyway.
>
> I had a big ol' ham hock and all fresh trinity veggies, so that's
> good. I also had some leftover elk summer sausage, which is very
> flavorful. I added that instead of andouille, which I can't do-ie, cuz
> I un-douilled it into the trash.
>
> I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
> tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a try.
> I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.
>
> nb
>
> --
> Definition of objectivism:
> "Eff you! I got mine."
> http://www.nongmoproject.org/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

[...]

********************

I'm with you on the type of beans. Kidney beans are red and they work

I like the Gumbo Pages site. ("What's a grit?" LOL) Good recipes even if
the folks aren't cooks. Andouille sausage isn't easy to find on the left
coast.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-06, jmcquown > wrote:

> the folks aren't cooks. Andouille sausage isn't easy to find on the left
> coast.

We have Aidells Sausage out West. He's a boutique sausage maker known
for his chicken/apple sausage (caliphonyia yuk), but makes a killer
andouille I can get here at Safeway.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-06, l, not -l > wrote:

> just ask if you want the recipe.

Can I have the recipe?

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 19:45:41 +0000, notbob wrote:

> I also had some leftover elk summer sausage, which is very
> flavorful.

A Louisiana man fed me the first elk I ever had. I love red beans and
rice. I like to remove a big cup of beans and broth after they cook,
mash it up, and stir it back into the pot to make the beans rich and
creamy.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 2:45*pm, notbob > wrote:
> ...that I've made from scratch.
>
> I'm not a big rice fan, but love beans. *So, to stretch that limited
> income dollar, I'm making red beans and rice. *So we don't get off on
> another stupid red vs kidney bean tangent, I bought and used beans
> labeled "red kidney beans". *'nuff said....
>
> I'm using chuck tagart's recipe from the gumbo pages. *All this time I
> thought he was a working chef. *I was wrong. *He's a freakin' disc
> jockey and wannabe southern gentleman. *In short, a flim-flam man! *Oh
> well, I've always found his recipes to be excellent, so I went with it.
>
> http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html
>
> I had some andouille sausage, but discovered they were a)
> turkey/chicken shit, and b) spoiled, after only two days outta the
> freezer. *Nevermind. *I hate chicken/turkey based faux crap meat,
> anyway.
>
> I had a big ol' ham hock and all fresh trinity veggies, so that's
> good. *I also had some leftover elk summer sausage, which is very
> flavorful. * I added that instead of andouille, which I can't do-ie, cuz
> I un-douilled it into the trash.
>
> I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
> tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a try.
> I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow. *
>
> nb
>
> --
> Definition of objectivism:
> "Eff you! *I got mine."http://www.nongmoproject.org/

Red beans and rice is a good winter recipe. You can skip the rice
altogether if it's an especially good batch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> ...that I've made from scratch.
>
> I'm not a big rice fan, but love beans. So, to stretch that limited
> income dollar, I'm making red beans and rice. So we don't get off on
> another stupid red vs kidney bean tangent, I bought and used beans
> labeled "red kidney beans". 'nuff said....
>
> I'm using chuck tagart's recipe from the gumbo pages. All this time I
> thought he was a working chef. I was wrong. He's a freakin' disc
> jockey and wannabe southern gentleman. In short, a flim-flam man! Oh
> well, I've always found his recipes to be excellent, so I went with it.
>
> http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html
>
> I had some andouille sausage, but discovered they were a)
> turkey/chicken shit, and b) spoiled, after only two days outta the
> freezer. Nevermind. I hate chicken/turkey based faux crap meat,
> anyway.
>
> I had a big ol' ham hock and all fresh trinity veggies, so that's
> good. I also had some leftover elk summer sausage, which is very
> flavorful. I added that instead of andouille, which I can't do-ie, cuz
> I un-douilled it into the trash.
>
> I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
> tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a try.
> I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.
>
> nb

I tried that once, from Popeye's chicken. As much as I love beans and also
rice and even beans and rice mixed together, I did not like the seasonings
in there and could not eat it. I tried cooking Cajun stuff. Husband lived
in Louisiana for a while and loves the food. My mistake might have been in
buying an assortment of seasonings from Chef Paul Prudhomme and also a
cookbook to go with. No matter what I tried from it, he hated it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-06, l, not -l > wrote:

> Pickled Pork

> Recipe By :Alton Brown, 2008

Thanks L....

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Oct 2012 21:30:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2012-10-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > the folks aren't cooks. Andouille sausage isn't easy to find on the left
> > coast.

> We have Aidells Sausage out West. He's a boutique sausage maker known
> for his chicken/apple sausage (caliphonyia yuk), but makes a killer
> andouille I can get here at Safeway.

It's not very good these days, unfortunately.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Sat, 6 Oct 2012, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>> ...that I've made from scratch.
>>>
>>> I'm not a big rice fan, but love beans. So, to stretch that limited
>>> income dollar, I'm making red beans and rice. So we don't get off on
>>> another stupid red vs kidney bean tangent, I bought and used beans
>>> labeled "red kidney beans". 'nuff said....
>>>
>>> I'm using chuck tagart's recipe from the gumbo pages. All this time I
>>> thought he was a working chef. I was wrong. He's a freakin' disc
>>> jockey and wannabe southern gentleman. In short, a flim-flam man! Oh
>>> well, I've always found his recipes to be excellent, so I went with it.
>>>
>>> http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html
>>>
>>> I had some andouille sausage, but discovered they were a)
>>> turkey/chicken shit, and b) spoiled, after only two days outta the
>>> freezer. Nevermind. I hate chicken/turkey based faux crap meat,
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> I had a big ol' ham hock and all fresh trinity veggies, so that's
>>> good. I also had some leftover elk summer sausage, which is very
>>> flavorful. I added that instead of andouille, which I can't do-ie, cuz
>>> I un-douilled it into the trash.
>>>
>>> I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
>>> tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a try.
>>> I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.
>>>
>>> nb

>> I tried that once, from Popeye's chicken. As much as I love beans and
>> also
>> rice and even beans and rice mixed together, I did not like the
>> seasonings
>> in there and could not eat it.

> This is funny to me, because I'd give my eye teeth if I could find a
> recipe that replicates the flavor of those beans! The rice is always
> pretty awful, but those beans are yummy to my tastes. Smokey, savory, not
> too salty... Love them.

Well it's possible that mine were made wrong. They did come from the little
place at Travis AFB and it has been my experience that those food places
don't necessarily have the full menu there. But Smokey isn't a flavor I am
overly fond of. I don't remember them being Smokey. Just highly seasoned
and somewhat overcooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> We have Aidells Sausage out West. He's a boutique sausage maker known
> for his chicken/apple sausage (caliphonyia yuk), but makes a killer
> andouille I can get here at Safeway.

Aidells has gone national. Or at least bicoastal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/6/2012 2:45 PM, notbob wrote:

> I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
> tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a try.
> I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.
>
> nb

If you can not find small red beans, use pinto beans.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 10/6/2012 2:45 PM, notbob wrote:
>
> > I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
> > tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a
> > try. I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.
> >
> > nb

> If you can not find small red beans, use pinto beans.
>
> Becca

Different flavor but nothing wrong with pintos and rice! I just made a
pot of them on high for 6 hours (crockpot) then low for 12 and had 2
ham hocks om there.

I pretty much have refried beans execpt too liquid for that actual term.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 11:03:06 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ema Nymton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 10/6/2012 2:45 PM, notbob wrote:
>>
>> > I got about 2 hrs of simmer time left, then will put in fridge till
>> > tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give 'er a
>> > try. I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.
>> >
>> > nb

>> If you can not find small red beans, use pinto beans.
>>
>> Becca

>Different flavor but nothing wrong with pintos and rice! I just made a
>pot of them on high for 6 hours (crockpot) then low for 12 and had 2
>ham hocks om there.
>
>I pretty much have refried beans execpt too liquid for that actual term.

My usual is Cuban style (Moros y Cristianos), black beans and rice. I
prefer black beans for refried beans too. I also like black bean
soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 11:03:06 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> till >> > tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give
> 'er a >> > try. I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.

> >> If you can not find small red beans, use pinto beans.
> >>
> >> Becca

> > Different flavor but nothing wrong with pintos and rice! I just
> > made a pot of them on high for 6 hours (crockpot) then low for 12
> > and had 2 ham hocks om there.
> >
> > I pretty much have refried beans execpt too liquid for that actual
> > term.

> My usual is Cuban style (Moros y Cristianos), black beans and rice. I
> prefer black beans for refried beans too. I also like black bean
> soup.

A good dish, I agree! Pintos was what i had on hand at the time so
made that and now have several meals worth tucked away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:23:00 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> till >> > tomorrow when I cook up some long grain white rice and give
>> 'er a >> > try. I'll get back to y'all on the 'morrow.

>> > Different flavor but nothing wrong with pintos and rice! I just
>> > made a pot of them on high for 6 hours (crockpot) then low for 12
>> > and had 2 ham hocks om there.
>> >
>> > I pretty much have refried beans execpt too liquid for that actual
>> > term.

>> My usual is Cuban style (Moros y Cristianos), black beans and rice. I
>> prefer black beans for refried beans too. I also like black bean
>> soup.

>A good dish, I agree! Pintos was what i had on hand at the time so
>made that and now have several meals worth tucked away.

Pintos are good too. When highly seasoned it's really not possible to
tell which bean unless you open your eyes.