Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot Red Pepper Jelly

I just finished making a second batch of hot red pepper jelly. Due to
bad planning, running out of white sugar and not finding the right
peppers, I guess it is serendipity that the the stuff turned out to be
the best ever. The recipe called for 2 large bell pepper, 4 medium hot
peppers, 6 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar and one packet
of Certo.

I could not find the usual hot peppers so I used a quart of local cherry
peppers, removing seeds and membranes. Since I ran out of white sugar on
the first batch and had added a bit of light brown, and it had turned
out so well, I did that with with second batch.

Due to problems with thickening and not wanting to boil off the vinegar,
which evaporates faster than water, I cooked the pureed peppers and
sugar for awhile to get rid of excess moisture before adding the cider
vinegar.

This is the nicest tasting hot red pepper I have ever made, and much
better than any store bought. Since I know that I cannot count on
those peppers at any other time of the year I thought it appropriate to
make the second batch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2012 6:42 PM, John John wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:29:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I just finished making a second batch of hot red pepper jelly. Due to
>> bad planning, running out of white sugar and not finding the right
>> peppers, I guess it is serendipity that the the stuff turned out to be
>> the best ever. The recipe called for 2 large bell pepper, 4 medium hot
>> peppers, 6 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar and one packet
>> of Certo.

> 6.5 cups of sugar? Does it really matter what else you add?

That's pretty much the norm for a batch of jelly since it needs sugar to
set up. The sweetness in balanced out by the acid in the vinegar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

With what do you eat your red pepper jelly? Someone always brings the
cream cheese topped with hot pepper jelly to school potlucks around
here. It's addicting.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 21, 3:30*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I just finished making a second batch of hot red pepper jelly. Due to
> bad planning, running out of white sugar and not finding the right
> peppers, I guess it is serendipity that the the stuff turned out to be
> the best ever. *The recipe called for 2 large bell pepper, 4 medium hot
> peppers, 6 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar and one packet
> of Certo.
>
> I could not find the usual hot peppers so I used a quart of local cherry
> peppers, removing seeds and membranes. Since I ran out of white sugar on
> the first batch and had added a bit of light brown, and it had turned
> out so well, I did that with with second batch.
>
> Due to problems with thickening and not wanting to boil off the vinegar,
> which evaporates faster than water, *I cooked the pureed peppers and
> sugar for *awhile to get rid of excess moisture before adding the cider
> vinegar.
>
> This is the nicest tasting hot red pepper I have ever made, and much
> better than any store bought. * Since I know that I cannot count on
> those peppers at any other time of the year I thought it appropriate to
> make the second batch.

I'll send you my address so you can send me some !!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2012 8:49 PM, Tara wrote:
> With what do you eat your red pepper jelly? Someone always brings the
> cream cheese topped with hot pepper jelly to school potlucks around
> here. It's addicting.

Crackers and cream cheese topped with the red pepper jelly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2012 11:06 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 21/09/2012 8:49 PM, Tara wrote:
>>> With what do you eat your red pepper jelly? Someone always brings the
>>> cream cheese topped with hot pepper jelly to school potlucks around
>>> here. It's addicting.

>> Crackers and cream cheese topped with the red pepper jelly.

> You know you're not supposed to eat
> cream cheese, right?
>
> Kraft Fat-Free Philadelphia Cream Cheese is
> an amazing substitute for the real thing.
> At least, it was when I last bought it,
> which was years ago. I hope they didn't
> screw it up since then.

Yep. I know I am not supposed to eat the real stuff, so we use the fat
free stuff. It's better than no cream cheese at all. I also have to eat
the low fat low sodium crackers
;-)
FWIW.... I saw my doctor last week. My cholesterol levels are good,
blood pressure is down. I no longer have to take medication for that.
My one hour bicycle rides every morning are helping there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 21/09/2012 8:49 PM, Tara wrote:
> > With what do you eat your red pepper jelly? Someone always brings the
> > cream cheese topped with hot pepper jelly to school potlucks around
> > here. It's addicting.

> Crackers and cream cheese topped with the red pepper jelly.

You know you're not supposed to eat
cream cheese, right?

Kraft Fat-Free Philadelphia Cream Cheese is
an amazing substitute for the real thing.
At least, it was when I last bought it,
which was years ago. I hope they didn't
screw it up since then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2012 9:40 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Sep 21, 3:30 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> I just finished making a second batch of hot red pepper jelly. Due to
>> bad planning, running out of white sugar and not finding the right
>> peppers, I guess it is serendipity that the the stuff turned out to be
>> the best ever. The recipe called for 2 large bell pepper, 4 medium hot
>> peppers, 6 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar and one packet
>> of Certo.
>>
>> I could not find the usual hot peppers so I used a quart of local cherry
>> peppers, removing seeds and membranes. Since I ran out of white sugar on
>> the first batch and had added a bit of light brown, and it had turned
>> out so well, I did that with with second batch.
>>
>> Due to problems with thickening and not wanting to boil off the vinegar,
>> which evaporates faster than water, I cooked the pureed peppers and
>> sugar for awhile to get rid of excess moisture before adding the cider
>> vinegar.
>>
>> This is the nicest tasting hot red pepper I have ever made, and much
>> better than any store bought. Since I know that I cannot count on
>> those peppers at any other time of the year I thought it appropriate to
>> make the second batch.

> I'll send you my address so you can send me some !!!!

I can do even better. I can give you the recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>ImStillMags wrote:
>>Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I just finished making a second batch of hot red pepper jelly. Due to
>>> bad planning, running out of white sugar and not finding the right
>>> peppers, I guess it is serendipity that the the stuff turned out to be
>>> the best ever. The recipe called for 2 large bell pepper, 4 medium hot
>>> peppers, 6 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar and one packet
>>> of Certo.
>>>
>>> I could not find the usual hot peppers so I used a quart of local cherry
>>> peppers, removing seeds and membranes. Since I ran out of white sugar on
>>> the first batch and had added a bit of light brown, and it had turned
>>> out so well, I did that with with second batch.
>>>
>>> Due to problems with thickening and not wanting to boil off the vinegar,
>>> which evaporates faster than water, I cooked the pureed peppers and
>>> sugar for awhile to get rid of excess moisture before adding the cider
>>> vinegar.
>>>
>>> This is the nicest tasting hot red pepper I have ever made, and much
>>> better than any store bought. Since I know that I cannot count on
>>> those peppers at any other time of the year I thought it appropriate to
>>> make the second batch.

>> I'll send you my address so you can send me some !!!!

>I can do even better. I can give you the recipe.

What a sport! A cop-out response from one who obviously didn't make
any pepper jelly... I'm sure ImStillMags is quite capable of searching
for recipes on the net, where she'll find hundreds if not thousands.

I just searched <pepper jelly recipe>...
"About 1,820,000 results" LOL-LOL
This one looks fine:
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2008/10/0...-jelly-recipe/

ImStillMags, had I made pepper jelly and you asked I'd be honored, I'd
have a jar in the mail to you first thing Monday morning. Today I
prepared a huge garden salad, I don't think it would ship well but if
you'd like you're welcome to join me for dinner, I'mStillMags. It
would never occur to me to insult you by offering the recipe for
something I'm sure you can prepare all on your own. The tomatoes are
from my garden, the rest is from the local market. The Pasta is
Barilla "tri color fiori", one of my favorite salad pastas. I toss it
all with the juice of a fresh lime, so it keeps fresh for several
days. As you can plainly see I made plenty:
http://i48.tinypic.com/ftfslj.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/09/2012 3:16 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Yep. I know I am not supposed to eat the real stuff, so we use the fat
>> free stuff. It's better than no cream cheese at all. I also have to eat
>> the low fat low sodium crackers
>> ;-)

> The Kraft fat-free version is so close to
> the real thing that whoever invented it
> should get the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
> I would not have thought it possible to
> make such a product.

I was going to say that I get Philadelhia, but I just checked the fridge
and that is labelled Kraft. However, this stuff is low fat not fat
free. To be honest, can't tell the difference between it and the no
name stuff that usually sells for considerably left. A lot of those no
name products are made by the same dairies and simply labelled with the
no name, and skimp on the cardboard wrapper.

,
>> FWIW.... I saw my doctor last week. My cholesterol levels are good,
>> blood pressure is down. I no longer have to take medication for that.
>> My one hour bicycle rides every morning are helping there.

> Good for you. Physical exercise is definitely
> an important part of cardiovascular health.
> At the end of this year, it will have been
> 10 years since I got my first elliptical machine
> and began seriously exercising. It made a
> huge difference in my health. I shudder to
> think just how bad I was -- never again.
> I was fortunate to decide to become healthy
> before it became too late.

I hate to imagine what would have happened to me had I not been getting
lots of regular exercise. I had taken an early retirement and set goal
of losing 5 pounds a year through exercise. I was pretty much on target
there, thanks to regular bike riding and/or cycling, and 3-4 workouts
per week at the gym.

When my problem first started it was strange. I didn't think that it was
angina because I thought that was supposed to be painful. I can't say
that what I felt was painful, though there was definitely something
amiss. I only suspected angina because as it got more noticeable it
seemed to travel down my left arm.

The odd thing was that it went away so quickly. There were times when I
was out cycling that it started up and all I had to do to make it go
away was to slow down. I didn't have to stop. I started noticing it
while walking the dog. We have a two mile circuit through the woods
behind our house. I would have to stop at the end of our property, about
150 yards deep, and again after another 100 yards or so, but after about
a 500 yards I could complete the circuit without any more incidents.

As it turned out, the angiogram revealed a complete blockage of my left
main coronary artery. It things had gone smoothly, I would have just had
a stent and everything would have been fine. I am keeping up this
regime because I don't ever want to go through heart surgery again. It
knocked me on my ass for months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Yep. I know I am not supposed to eat the real stuff, so we use the fat
> free stuff. It's better than no cream cheese at all. I also have to eat
> the low fat low sodium crackers
> ;-)

The Kraft fat-free version is so close to
the real thing that whoever invented it
should get the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
I would not have thought it possible to
make such a product.

> FWIW.... I saw my doctor last week. My cholesterol levels are good,
> blood pressure is down. I no longer have to take medication for that.
> My one hour bicycle rides every morning are helping there.

Good for you. Physical exercise is definitely
an important part of cardiovascular health.
At the end of this year, it will have been
10 years since I got my first elliptical machine
and began seriously exercising. It made a
huge difference in my health. I shudder to
think just how bad I was -- never again.
I was fortunate to decide to become healthy
before it became too late.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2012 03:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
.. . .
> Due to problems with thickening and not wanting to boil off the vinegar,
> which evaporates faster than water, I cooked the pureed peppers and
> sugar for awhile to get rid of excess moisture before adding the cider
> vinegar.

.. . .

I've seen this claim that vinegar evaporates faster than water on this
NG before. I have a hard time believing it. Vinegar is about 5% acetic
acid and the rest is water. Maybe some very tiny amounts of flavor and
aroma compounds in cider vinegar, but none in white vinegar. The boiling
point of acetic acid is 244 degrees F and the boiling point of water is
212 degrees F. When you boil vinegar, the temperature rises to about 213
degrees and stays there until all the water is driven off. At that
point, the temperature rises rapidly until it reaches the boiling point
of acetic acid, since that's the only thing left.

A similar thing occurs when you distill alcohol from a fermented mash,
except that the alcohol has a lower boiling point than water, so when
the temperature starts to rise rapidly, the distillers know it's time to
stop because there's no more alcohol left.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/09/2012 3:51 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 03:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> . . .
>> Due to problems with thickening and not wanting to boil off the vinegar,
>> which evaporates faster than water, I cooked the pureed peppers and
>> sugar for awhile to get rid of excess moisture before adding the cider
>> vinegar.

> . . .
>
> I've seen this claim that vinegar evaporates faster than water on this
> NG before. I have a hard time believing it. Vinegar is about 5% acetic
> acid and the rest is water. Maybe some very tiny amounts of flavor and
> aroma compounds in cider vinegar, but none in white vinegar. The boiling
> point of acetic acid is 244 degrees F and the boiling point of water is
> 212 degrees F. When you boil vinegar, the temperature rises to about 213
> degrees and stays there until all the water is driven off. At that
> point, the temperature rises rapidly until it reaches the boiling point
> of acetic acid, since that's the only thing left.

I stand partially corrected. It turns out that the boiling temperature
of acetic acid is higher than water, but vinegar is diluted so much that
the resulting solution has a lower boiling point. Then there is the
addition of all that sugar, so the boiling point is increased. At any
rate, there is a balance of flavour with the peppers, the sugar and the
vinegar, and I wanted to get rid of as much excess water from the mash
as possible before adding the vinegar to get its flavour and acid bite.
I am not a scientist, but I can tell you that it tasted like it worked.
The jelly set nicely and it tastes great.

> A similar thing occurs when you distill alcohol from a fermented mash,
> except that the alcohol has a lower boiling point than water, so when
> the temperature starts to rise rapidly, the distillers know it's time to
> stop because there's no more alcohol left.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/09/2012 12:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> I'll send you my address so you can send me some !!!!

>> I can do even better. I can give you the recipe.

> What a sport! A cop-out response from one who obviously didn't make
> any pepper jelly...

I think is is commonly accepted here that the reason that you are so
quick to accuse others of lying is that you do it so often yourself.

> I'm sure ImStillMags is quite capable of searching
> for recipes on the net, where she'll find hundreds if not thousands.

Oh yeah. No one here has ever joked about wanting something sent to
them. Surely you are not so desperate for attention that you would take
a request like that seriously

> ImStillMags, had I made pepper jelly and you asked I'd be honored, I'd
> have a jar in the mail to you first thing Monday morning.

In that case, find a recipe, make some and send it to her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> When my problem first started it was strange. I didn't think that it was
> angina because I thought that was supposed to be painful. I can't say
> that what I felt was painful, though there was definitely something
> amiss. I only suspected angina because as it got more noticeable it
> seemed to travel down my left arm.

I don't expect to have heart problems,
because I've been on a low saturated fat diet
since I was a teenager. On the other hand,
I've also been a hypochondriac since I was
a teenager, so I'll be hypervigilant about
any pain that involves my left arm. Because
I'm left-handed, that could happen a lot. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/09/2012 9:29 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> When my problem first started it was strange. I didn't think that it was
>> angina because I thought that was supposed to be painful. I can't say
>> that what I felt was painful, though there was definitely something
>> amiss. I only suspected angina because as it got more noticeable it
>> seemed to travel down my left arm.

> I don't expect to have heart problems,
> because I've been on a low saturated fat diet
> since I was a teenager. On the other hand,
> I've also been a hypochondriac since I was
> a teenager, so I'll be hypervigilant about
> any pain that involves my left arm. Because
> I'm left-handed, that could happen a lot. :-)

Unfortunately, there seems to be a genetic predisposition to coronary
problems and clogged arteries. My father in law ate a lot of fatty
foods. He had eggs every morning, and toast with butter and lots of
honey. He went to his clubs or restaurants for lunch, so he probably had
high fat and high salt foods. He lived to be almost 95. My
grandmothers both had high fat diets and lived long lives, one to 95 and
the other two weeks short of 100. Unfortunately, there were other
family members who did have coronary problems.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith[_1_] View Post
[...]

hey..Please add the sugar and you can also add some coconut powder.it makes more tasty and sweet ,Then anyone can easily eat this recipe.

Red Pepper Jelly gloria p Preserving 1 10-09-2012 11:14 PM
Hot Red Pepper Jelly..... really hot Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 7 02-05-2011 02:03 AM
Using Pepper Jelly Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 20 27-11-2007 05:30 AM
Hot Pepper Jelly Tim Recipes 0 24-07-2005 12:54 PM
Hot Red Pepper Jelly! sandy General Cooking 2 22-06-2004 10:24 PM