Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bratwurst on the grill

Dinner tonight! Bratwurst and the last of the summer yellow squash on
the Weber kettle grill. That is, if the rain will hold off. Of course
if it starts raining I'll be cooking in a skillet on the stove top and
steaming the squash

I'm thinking egg noodles might be good to go with this.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:20:09 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> Dinner tonight! Bratwurst and the last of the summer yellow squash on
> the Weber kettle grill. That is, if the rain will hold off. Of course
> if it starts raining I'll be cooking in a skillet on the stove top and
> steaming the squash
>
> I'm thinking egg noodles might be good to go with this.

We've had yellow squash since last October. This is the only month we
haven't really had them. I was buying them like crazy last fall
thinking the season was just ending, but 8-9 months later they're
still available at slightly higher prices - I was paying $.59/lb last
fall. So why do they call it summer squash?

Trying pan sauteeing the squash hot and fast on the stove with EVOO
and some spices of choice (nothing that will burn) until al dente.
The squash should have some dark spots form the heat but not be mushy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

Or broiling in a pan drizzled with olive oil (less effective, IMO)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

-sw

Beats me why they call it summer squash. It's available from the farm stand
for another month or so. Of course it's available year round at the grocery
store.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:20:09 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> Dinner tonight! Bratwurst and the last of the summer yellow squash on
> the Weber kettle grill. That is, if the rain will hold off. Of course
> if it starts raining I'll be cooking in a skillet on the stove top and
> steaming the squash

Sounds good! It's a beautiful night for grilling out. I love summer
squash. Do you simmer the bratwurst in beer?

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" wrote in message

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:20:09 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> Dinner tonight! Bratwurst and the last of the summer yellow squash on
> the Weber kettle grill. That is, if the rain will hold off. Of course
> if it starts raining I'll be cooking in a skillet on the stove top and
> steaming the squash

Sounds good! It's a beautiful night for grilling out. I love summer
squash. Do you simmer the bratwurst in beer?

Tara
*****************
Not when I'm grilling it. I have simmered brats in beer but not tonight.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Trying pan sauteeing the squash hot and fast on the stove with EVOO
> and some spices of choice (nothing that will burn) until al dente.
> The squash should have some dark spots form the heat but not be mushy.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> Or broiling in a pan drizzled with olive oil (less effective, IMO)
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

Oh yeah.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2012 1:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:20:09 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Dinner tonight! Bratwurst and the last of the summer yellow squash on
>> the Weber kettle grill. That is, if the rain will hold off. Of course
>> if it starts raining I'll be cooking in a skillet on the stove top and
>> steaming the squash
>>
>> I'm thinking egg noodles might be good to go with this.

> We've had yellow squash since last October. This is the only month we
> haven't really had them. I was buying them like crazy last fall
> thinking the season was just ending, but 8-9 months later they're
> still available at slightly higher prices - I was paying $.59/lb last
> fall. So why do they call it summer squash?
>
> Trying pan sauteeing the squash hot and fast on the stove with EVOO
> and some spices of choice (nothing that will burn) until al dente.
> The squash should have some dark spots form the heat but not be mushy.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> Or broiling in a pan drizzled with olive oil (less effective, IMO)
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

What else do you have there that was grilled? Romain lettuce? it all
looks so good!