Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking Thermometer w/ Remote

We got rid of our grill because we wouldn't keep track of cooking in two
places at once. A friend just showed us a food thermometer with a
remote - you insert the probe into the meat on your grill, set it for
the desired doneness, and it will beep a remote you can carry with you
in the house when it's done or nearly done.

Sounds like a winning idea to me - this one was made by Oregon
Scientific but it seems no longer to be available.

Comments on specific models of this sort of gadget and its use in
general appreciated, and thanks in advance.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:58:22 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>We got rid of our grill because we wouldn't keep track of cooking in two
>places at once. A friend just showed us a food thermometer with a
>remote - you insert the probe into the meat on your grill, set it for
>the desired doneness, and it will beep a remote you can carry with you
>in the house when it's done or nearly done.
>
>Sounds like a winning idea to me - this one was made by Oregon
>Scientific but it seems no longer to be available.
>
>Comments on specific models of this sort of gadget and its use in
>general appreciated, and thanks in advance.
>
>-S-

I had mine for well over 7 years and it no longer worked. It was a
simple matter of going to the web site and ordering a new
thermocouple.
I had the part within 7-10 days. Good as new. I like the thermometer
because for long term cooking I can be somewhere else and still know
what is going on as it gives current temp as well as target so you can
judge about when dinner will be done. Pick one out from the web site
that suits you and get it. Costco doesn't carry them this time of
year.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote:

>We got rid of our grill because we wouldn't keep track of cooking in two
>places at once. A friend just showed us a food thermometer with a
>remote - you insert the probe into the meat on your grill, set it for
>the desired doneness, and it will beep a remote you can carry with you
>in the house when it's done or nearly done.
>
>Sounds like a winning idea to me - this one was made by Oregon
>Scientific but it seems no longer to be available.
>
>Comments on specific models of this sort of gadget and its use in
>general appreciated, and thanks in advance.

mine is a Maverick ET73.
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Indus...dp/B0000DIU49/

I've had it a couple years. I've burned out one probe, and replaced
it with the higher temp probe.

100 feet of range is very optimistic [abbreviated, BS, I think] -- but
the unit itself is reliable, cheap [$32 on Amazon], versatile, and
easy to use.

I think Maverick has a newer model that claims 300 feet. If mine
dies, I'll stick with Maverick.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2012 6:58 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> We got rid of our grill because we wouldn't keep track of cooking in two
> places at once. A friend just showed us a food thermometer with a
> remote - you insert the probe into the meat on your grill, set it for
> the desired doneness, and it will beep a remote you can carry with you
> in the house when it's done or nearly done.
>
> Sounds like a winning idea to me - this one was made by Oregon
> Scientific but it seems no longer to be available.
>
> Comments on specific models of this sort of gadget and its use in
> general appreciated, and thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

I have an inexpensive (comparitively) one. It broke. I just bought
another.

I only use it for the smoker.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Remote thermometers are one of the 'great new things'.

For lazy cooks that can't keep track of time. (JK)

G.

And actually, I have a digital kitchen timer that has 2 timers. If I start
something that takes a good while to cook (like in oven), I will just set it
and carry it into the room where I might be.

I also use this as an alamm clock but 99.9% of the time, I get up on my own
and turn it off before it goes off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:11:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> >>
> >> Remote thermometers are one of the 'great new things'.

> >For lazy cooks that can't keep track of time. (JK)

> Luddite!

LOL :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:11:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>> Remote thermometers are one of the 'great new things'.

>For lazy cooks that can't keep track of time. (JK)

When you figure out how to smoke/slow-cook meat using *time*, call
me.<g>

Even when you know the temp of the 'oven' and the collagen, there is a
little KY windage involved, IMO.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:11:00 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, Gary
> wrote,
>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>> Remote thermometers are one of the 'great new things'.

>For lazy cooks that can't keep track of time. (JK)
>
>G.
>
>And actually, I have a digital kitchen timer that has 2 timers. If I start
>something that takes a good while to cook (like in oven), I will just set it
>and carry it into the room where I might be.
>
>I also use this as an alamm clock but 99.9% of the time, I get up on my own
>and turn it off before it goes off.

You are seriously confused. Thermometers are not for telling time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:11:00 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, Gary
> > wrote,
> >Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> >>
> >> Remote thermometers are one of the 'great new things'.

> >For lazy cooks that can't keep track of time. (JK)
> >
> >G.
> >
> >And actually, I have a digital kitchen timer that has 2 timers. If I start
> >something that takes a good while to cook (like in oven), I will just set it
> >and carry it into the room where I might be.
> >
> >I also use this as an alamm clock but 99.9% of the time, I get up on my own
> >and turn it off before it goes off.

> You are seriously confused. Thermometers are not for telling time.

Timers are to remind us to check thermometers.

G.