Old 25-12-2008, 09:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default God remote thermometer?

I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

Old 26-12-2008, 12:37 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Sparkout wrote:
I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

Polder makes a good one.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Old 26-12-2008, 02:39 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

In alt.food.barbecue, Sparkout wrote:
I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

Polder makes a good one.

I would suspect the Taylor and Polder are identical inside (as well
as the probes). That's the way it is with their corded
thermometers.

The Maverick has had mostly good reviews here over the years.
Currently being sold at CostCo for $20. Looks like they're selling
the Oregon Scientific online as well:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043977&search=thermometer&Mo =3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=thermometer&Ntt=thermometer&No= 1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Looks sturdy.

-sw
Old 26-12-2008, 02:41 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

I have several Taylors, which I've had for several years. They're used in
the smoker, oven and deep fryer. When not being used for cooking, they
monitor the temperature in my 'fridge and around the house. The only
problem I've had is having to replace a battery in one.

I've had my Taylors for a while now, too. My only gripe is that the
wires inside the probes can be fragile (don't wind the cords), and
the replacement probes they sold me are 7-18F degrees off.

-sw

Old 26-12-2008, 02:47 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sparkout" wrote in message
I need advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god
luck with.

If you want god luck you have to wait until spring time. Our parish priest
does a Blessing of the Thermometers the Sunday before Memorial Day so we can
have god luck with cooking.

Old 26-12-2008, 02:50 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sparkout wrote:
I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

I suggest you are either misusing them or very unlucky. I've had Taylors
for years. No, read as zero, problems.

Don't know what to tell you. I used to have Polders but had some
problems with them. I suspect that it was just getting bad ones as well.

Luck of the draw... shrug

--
Steve
Old 26-12-2008, 02:57 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Dec-2008, "Sparkout" wrote:

I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a
couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need

advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

I wish I had good news. I used a 'Timex" for years. When the central unit
went west, they were no longer making them. I think I bought that one off
the wall, 'literally' at a K-Mart store. I'm currently using a pair
of "no name" therms possibly made by Oregon Scientific. I've had them
so long, I can't remember when exactly I got them. I think sometime in
'04. I bought three from overstock.com and gave one away. The other
two are still going strong. I did have to replace a battery in one of them.
They don't have a name on them, so I have no idea who actually made
them. I also have and use "Accurite' and 'Taylor' instant read probe
thermometers. I had to replace the battery in the Taylor digital not too
long ago. No big deal. I haven't had any "Remote Therms". I actually
don't really need one. I can read my therms from my Lanai door from
the inside. I have no actual experience with remote therms. I'd guess
you shouldn't leave them in the sun or rain. Otherwise, what could
happen to them? One guy a couple of years ago was clipping his
cable-probe therm on the side of his WSM. He begged for advice
after two of them failed. Never had a clue that the heat from his
smoker was cooking his therms as well.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 26-12-2008, 04:11 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Dec-2008, Sqwertz wrote:

Nick Cramer wrote:

I have several Taylors, which I've had for several years. They're used
in
the smoker, oven and deep fryer. When not being used for cooking, they
monitor the temperature in my 'fridge and around the house. The only
problem I've had is having to replace a battery in one.

I've had my Taylors for a while now, too. My only gripe is that the
wires inside the probes can be fragile (don't wind the cords), and
the replacement probes they sold me are 7-18F degrees off.

-sw

I always wind my cord around my hand in a circle about 2.5" dia. I've
never had a cord failure.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 26-12-2008, 06:09 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

ObFood (not bbq)--had maybe the best-ever roast beef for Xmas dinner.
Went shopping way late on Xmas Eve due to a lot of transportation and
weather factors, so the only rib roasts left at the one store that was
still open were USDA Prime Angus. Spent more than I had in mind, but
whoo boy, was it ever good!!! And I managed to not ruin it in the
cooking. Got it done just right.

I've got a 1-rib USDA Prime steak/roast to cook tonight. It was the
only one left as well. Pictures later.

-sw

Old 26-12-2008, 06:41 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Dec-2008, Denny Wheeler wrote:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:41:26 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

Nick Cramer wrote:

I have several Taylors, which I've had for several years. They're used
in
the smoker, oven and deep fryer. When not being used for cooking, they
monitor the temperature in my 'fridge and around the house. The only
problem I've had is having to replace a battery in one.

I've had my Taylors for a while now, too. My only gripe is that the
wires inside the probes can be fragile (don't wind the cords), and
the replacement probes they sold me are 7-18F degrees off.

I've got a Polder--the probe that came with it is off by some amount.
I also have the probe that came with some semi-generic or such, and
it's also off. I'm not sure which is which at this point. I'm also
not sure just how much either is off. I probably should put some kind
of color-code on them at the plug end, and then test 'em with ice
water and boiling water.

Went online to see about buying a replacement probe or two, but I
can't find any reference at all to the model Polder I have, so I don't
know which friggin' probe to buy.

ObFood (not bbq)--had maybe the best-ever roast beef for Xmas dinner.
Went shopping way late on Xmas Eve due to a lot of transportation and
weather factors, so the only rib roasts left at the one store that was
still open were USDA Prime Angus. Spent more than I had in mind, but
whoo boy, was it ever good!!! And I managed to not ruin it in the
cooking. Got it done just right.

--
-denny-

Hoo boy. I'd have jumped on that in a New York second. I really like
a good roast. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? I would
have seared that real good on all sides and then put it in an oven or in
the
smoker at about 325F until the center reached about 135 or maybe even
a little less. I can almost taste it while I'm writing this.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 26-12-2008, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 25, 4:54*pm, "Sparkout" wrote:
I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

Try a gander here there's a nice dual probe from Maverick. I'm sure
it's available from other sources as well.
http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/4.htm

Rick
Old 27-12-2008, 12:16 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Currently being sold at CostCo for $20. Looks like they're selling
the Oregon Scientific online as well:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043977&search=thermometer&Mo =3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=thermometer&Ntt=thermometer&No= 1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I've had a couple Oregon Scientific thermometers for a few years. They
work great (at least until my "canine genius" pulled one off the
counter and tried to eat the sending unit). The only drawback is that
mine max out at 200 deg., so they won't work to monitor pit temp.

-Zz
Old 27-12-2008, 12:31 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:

Currently being sold at CostCo for $20. Looks like they're selling
the Oregon Scientific online as well:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043977&search=thermometer&Mo =3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=thermometer&Ntt=thermometer&No= 1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I've had a couple Oregon Scientific thermometers for a few years. They
work great (at least until my "canine genius" pulled one off the
counter and tried to eat the sending unit). The only drawback is that
mine max out at 200 deg., so they won't work to monitor pit temp.

Yeah - I noticed the specs on that unit right after I posted it.
100ft range doesn't sound like a lot either. Subtract 20-25ft for
each wall in between.

-sw
Old 27-12-2008, 12:33 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rick wrote:

On Dec 25, 4:54*pm, "Sparkout" wrote:
I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

Try a gander here there's a nice dual probe from Maverick. I'm sure
it's available from other sources as well.
http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/4.htm

I believe this is the one going for ~$20 at CostCo. Not $60 on
your^H^H^H^Hthat site.

-sw

remote thermometer for WSM Zz Yzx Barbecue 8 15-03-2012 05:03 PM
remote thermometer charlyhorse Barbecue 4 02-10-2007 06:50 PM
What remote thermometer do you recommend? It's arse not ass Barbecue 3 21-11-2006 09:57 AM
remote thermometer dsjumper Barbecue 2 19-07-2005 07:58 PM
Remote thermometer recommedations p-nut Barbecue 13 02-07-2005 03:33 AM