Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Onion Rings, soda water?

A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something I
keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable substitute?
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something I
> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
> party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable substitute?
> Polly

Beer works just as good. It's the carbon dioxide in the soda water (and
beer) that gives you a very light crust. Basically, you're talking tempura
batter here. You can also mix in just a tiny amount of baking soda to your
batter and more CO2 will be released as you deep fry.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" <> Polly Esther wrote:

>> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
>> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some
>> seasonings.
>> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
>> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
>> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not
>> something I
>> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
>> party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
>> substitute?
>> Polly

> Beer works just as good. It's the carbon dioxide in the soda water (and
> beer) that gives you a very light crust. Basically, you're talking
> tempura
> batter here. You can also mix in just a tiny amount of baking soda to
> your
> batter and more CO2 will be released as you deep fry.
>
> Gary

Thank you so much, Gary. I really didn't want to buy a large quantity of
soda water although it does seem like our high school home ec teacher said
it was good for cleaning something. Don't remember what. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 4:03*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Gary" <> Polly Esther wrote:
>

> >> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> >> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some
> >> seasonings.
> >> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> >> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> >> * * I wonder what soda water brings to the production. *It's not
> >> something I
> >> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
> >> party days. *Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
> >> substitute?
> >> Polly

> > Beer works just as good. *It's the carbon dioxide in the soda water (and
> > beer) that gives you a very light crust. *Basically, you're talking
> > tempura
> > batter here. *You can also mix in just a tiny amount of baking soda to
> > your
> > batter and more CO2 will be released as you deep fry.

> > Gary

> Thank you so much, Gary. I really didn't want to buy a large quantity of
> soda water although it does seem like our high school home ec teacher said
> it was good for cleaning something. Don't remember what. *Polly

Good for cleaning human blood of a carpet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> "Gary" <> Polly Esther wrote:
> >>
> >> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> >> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some
> >> seasonings.
> >> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> >> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> >> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not
> >> something I
> >> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
> >> party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
> >> substitute?
> >> Polly

> > Beer works just as good. It's the carbon dioxide in the soda water (and
> > beer) that gives you a very light crust. Basically, you're talking
> > tempura
> > batter here. You can also mix in just a tiny amount of baking soda to
> > your
> > batter and more CO2 will be released as you deep fry.
> >
> > Gary

> Thank you so much, Gary. I really didn't want to buy a large quantity of
> soda water although it does seem like our high school home ec teacher said
> it was good for cleaning something. Don't remember what. Polly

I've never tried it but supposedly soda water is good to pour on a fresh
carpet stain and then blot it up.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2012 6:00 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some
> seasonings. The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried
> and drained, they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10
> minutes.
> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something I
> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in
> my party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
> substitute? Polly

That's how I make them, and you absolutely can substitute beer. I've
never tried reheating them though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
>water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
>The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
>they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something
> I keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in
> my party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
> substitute? Polly

Absolutely, beer is great. They both add a little lightness but the beer
adds flavor.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/13/2012 6:00 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
>> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some
>> seasonings. The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried
>> and drained, they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10
>> minutes.
>> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something I
>> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in
>> my party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
>> substitute? Polly

> That's how I make them, and you absolutely can substitute beer. I've
> never tried reheating them though.

The recipe says "bake 10 minutes at 375 or until crisp". So. Maybe it is
possible to refrigerate and later serve hot and crispy. Wouldn't that be a
neat trick if you had other food going and had one less thing to coordinate?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 5:05*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> .com...
>
> > On 7/13/2012 6:00 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> >> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> >> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some
> >> seasonings. The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried
> >> and drained, they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10
> >> minutes.
> >> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something I
> >> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in
> >> my party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
> >> substitute? Polly

> > That's how I make them, and you absolutely can substitute beer. *I've
> > never tried reheating them though.

> The recipe says "bake 10 minutes at 375 or until crisp". So. Maybe it is
> possible to refrigerate and later serve hot and crispy. *Wouldn't that be a
> neat trick if you had other food going and had one less thing to coordinate?

You will want to put them on a rack while keeping warm so the bottoms
don't get soggy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2012 7:56 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Polly > wrote in message
>> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
>> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
>> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
>> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
>> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something
>> I keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in
>> my party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
>> substitute? Polly

> Absolutely, beer is great. They both add a little lightness but the beer
> adds flavor.

For even different flavor you can sub champagne. I've done that with
battered chicken and it's delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.

I don't know about using pancake batter. The club soda, yes. Years ago
there was a very popular fish & chips shop called 'Arthur Treachers'. He
was well known in 1930's black & white films for always playing a very
snooty English butler Later in life he opened a chain of successful fish
& chip shops. Alledgedly the secret to the light crispy batter was due to
club soda.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" <>
> I don't know about using pancake batter. The club soda, yes. Years ago
> there was a very popular fish & chips shop called 'Arthur Treachers'. He
> was well known in 1930's black & white films for always playing a very
> snooty English butler Later in life he opened a chain of successful
> fish & chip shops. Alledgedly the secret to the light crispy batter was
> due to club soda.
>
> Jill

You are probably right, Jill. I didn't much take to the notion of pancake
mix either. I was intrigued by soda water ( or beer) as the liquid and the
suggestion that onion rings could be fried, refrigerated and, when
convenient, crisped in the oven. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Polly Esther wrote:

>> > Beer works just as good. It's the carbon dioxide in the soda water
>> > (and
>> > beer) that gives you a very light crust. Basically, you're talking
>> > tempura
>> > batter here. You can also mix in just a tiny amount of baking soda to
>> > your
>> > batter and more CO2 will be released as you deep fry.
>> >
>> > Gary

>> Thank you so much, Gary. I really didn't want to buy a large quantity of
>> soda water although it does seem like our high school home ec teacher
>> said
>> it was good for cleaning something. Don't remember what. Polly

> I've never tried it but supposedly soda water is good to pour on a fresh
> carpet stain and then blot it up.

Clothing stains too. Here you can buy it in those little half cans. That's
what I used to do when I used it for making bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:00:46 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something I
> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
> party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable substitute?
> Polly

Beer batter is famous and I think beer would be fabulous. Forget
about the refrigerating and baking part. That sounds like a recipe
for disaster. The batter you're talking about is going to be thick
and heavy no matter if you use beer or club soda, so what you should
be looking at is a tempura type batter which is very light when made
correctly. Serve it as soon as possible for optimum lightness and
crispiness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 5:00*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings..
> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> * * I wonder what soda water brings to the production. *It's not something I
> keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
> party days. *Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable substitute?
> Polly

The soda would add effervescence - bubbly and light batter - I use
beer in my batter, and it's really good. Soda would probably do the
same thing. You can't really taste the beer, so I don't see the big
deal about substituting soda water, unless someone is an alcoholic.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:02:18 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 5:00*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> > water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
> > The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> > they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> > * * I wonder what soda water brings to the production. *It's not something I
> > keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
> > party days. *Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable substitute?
> > Polly

> The soda would add effervescence - bubbly and light batter - I use
> beer in my batter, and it's really good. Soda would probably do the
> same thing. You can't really taste the beer, so I don't see the big
> deal about substituting soda water, unless someone is an alcoholic.

Or allergic to yeast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 12:13*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:02:18 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>

> > wrote:
> > On Jul 13, 5:00*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > > A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
> > > water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
> > > The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
> > > they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
> > > * * I wonder what soda water brings to the production. *It's not something I
> > > keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in my
> > > party days. *Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable substitute?
> > > Polly

> > The soda would add effervescence - bubbly and light batter - I use
> > beer in my batter, and it's really good. *Soda would probably do the
> > same thing. *You can't really taste the beer, so I don't see the big
> > deal about substituting soda water, unless someone is an alcoholic.

> Or allergic to yeast.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

That allergy wouldn't occur to me .. I've not heard of anyone being
allergic to yeast, although I'm sure there must be an allergic
reaction by someone to every substance we can think of.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Jul 15, 12:13*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:02:18 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>>

>> > wrote:

>> > The soda would add effervescence - bubbly and light batter - I use
>> > beer in my batter, and it's really good. *Soda would probably do the
>> > same thing. *You can't really taste the beer, so I don't see the big
>> > deal about substituting soda water, unless someone is an alcoholic.

>> Or allergic to yeast.
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>That allergy wouldn't occur to me .. I've not heard of anyone being
>allergic to yeast, although I'm sure there must be an allergic
>reaction by someone to every substance we can think of.
>
>N.

JB?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 12:13*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:02:18 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> >

> > > wrote:

> > > The soda would add effervescence - bubbly and light batter - I use
> > > beer in my batter, and it's really good. *Soda would probably do the
> > > same thing. *You can't really taste the beer, so I don't see the big
> > > deal about substituting soda water, unless someone is an alcoholic.

> > Or allergic to yeast.
> >

> That allergy wouldn't occur to me .. I've not heard of anyone being
> allergic to yeast, although I'm sure there must be an allergic
> reaction by someone to every substance we can think of.

My DIL thought she was gluten intolerant because she felt so much
better when she eliminated things like bread and pizza. After a year
of the elimination diet and still not feeling 100%, she finally had
the blood test done and found out it was yeast, not gluten, that she
was reacting to. At least I'd heard of people being sensitive to
yeast... it's my friend who is extremely allergic to even minute
amounts of onion that surprised me. I'd never heard of that before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 7:56*am, Ross@home wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jul 15, 12:13*pm, sf > wrote:
> >> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:02:18 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

> >> Or allergic to yeast.

> >> --
> >> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> >That allergy wouldn't occur to me .. I've not heard of anyone being
> >allergic to yeast, although I'm sure there must be an allergic
> >reaction by someone to every substance we can think of.

> >N.

> JB?

LOL- my exact thought!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Polly > wrote:

>>> A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
>>> water. The rest of the batter is a cup of pancake mix and some seasonings.
>>> The neat thing about the recipe is that after they're fried and drained,
>>> they can be refrigerated and baked later at 375 for 10 minutes.
>>> I wonder what soda water brings to the production. It's not something
>>> I keep on hand; never even knew anyone who drank scotch and soda back in
>>> my party days. Do you suppose a cup of beer would be a reasonable
>>> substitute? Polly

>> Absolutely, beer is great. They both add a little lightness but the beer
>> adds flavor.

With the caveat that it's not just the carbonation in the soda water.
Soda water can be carbonated with sodium bicarbonate so it might be the
equivalent of adding a touch of salt. Most beer has very little sodium.

There exist beers and ales that have very little carbonation but are
delicious anyways. They work as an ingredient because of the flavor not
their effect on the texture of the batter.

> For even different flavor you can sub champagne. I've done that with
> battered chicken and it's delicious.

I would not manage to get any of the champagne into the food. Been
there, done that, got that teeshirt. Enjoyed the experience but no
champagne in the food just in the cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
>Ross@home wrote:
>>Nancy2 wrote:

>> >That allergy wouldn't occur to me .. I've not heard of anyone being
>> >allergic to yeast, although I'm sure there must be an allergic
>> >reaction by someone to every substance we can think of.

>> JB?

>LOL- my exact thought!

Yeast occurs naturally in the environment, and in substantial
quantity, yeast can't be avoided... anyone claiming a yeast allergy
also has to claim an air allergy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" < wrote in message > My DIL thought she was gluten intolerant because
she felt so much
> better when she eliminated things like bread and pizza. After a year
> of the elimination diet and still not feeling 100%, she finally had
> the blood test done and found out it was yeast, not gluten, that she
> was reacting to. At least I'd heard of people being sensitive to
> yeast... it's my friend who is extremely allergic to even minute
> amounts of onion that surprised me. I'd never heard of that before.

Now THAT would be a fierce challenge. I can ease off of butter and eggs -
but onion? Mercy! I even like to sprinkle in a fine mist of green onion on
scrambled eggs. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2012 3:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Yeast occurs naturally in the environment, and in substantial
> quantity, yeast can't be avoided... anyone claiming a yeast allergy
> also has to claim an air allergy.

How about a cat with a cat dander allergy? I shit you not. One of mine
had a scratch test and tested high positive to cat dander.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:37:36 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "sf" < wrote in message > My DIL thought she was gluten intolerant because
> she felt so much
> > better when she eliminated things like bread and pizza. After a year
> > of the elimination diet and still not feeling 100%, she finally had
> > the blood test done and found out it was yeast, not gluten, that she
> > was reacting to. At least I'd heard of people being sensitive to
> > yeast... it's my friend who is extremely allergic to even minute
> > amounts of onion that surprised me. I'd never heard of that before.
> >

> Now THAT would be a fierce challenge. I can ease off of butter and eggs -
> but onion? Mercy! I even like to sprinkle in a fine mist of green onion on
> scrambled eggs. Polly

To be honest, I can't imagine being in her shoes and trying to eat in
any restaurant. :/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> "sf" < wrote in message:

>> My DIL thought she was gluten intolerant because she felt so much
>> better when she eliminated things like bread and pizza. After a year
>> of the elimination diet and still not feeling 100%, she finally had
>> the blood test done and found out it was yeast, not gluten, that she
>> was reacting to. At least I'd heard of people being sensitive to
>> yeast... it's my friend who is extremely allergic to even minute
>> amounts of onion that surprised me. I'd never heard of that before.

> Now THAT would be a fierce challenge.

Most anything is easy to eliminate once you figure out it's a personal
poison that's been torturing you for years. It drops off the list of
foods and you never look back. Been there, done that. For me it was
wheat which is more ubicuitous than either yeast or onion.

> I can ease off of butter and eggs -
> but onion? Mercy! I even like to sprinkle in a fine mist of green onion on
> scrambled eggs.

I love onions cooked or raw. I can digest the cooked ones. No symptoms
other than regular indigestion so I still frequently eat raw onions. I
know the price and in that case I'm willing to pay it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:41:17 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Polly Esther wrote:
> > "sf" < wrote in message:

> >> My DIL thought she was gluten intolerant because she felt so much
> >> better when she eliminated things like bread and pizza. After a year
> >> of the elimination diet and still not feeling 100%, she finally had
> >> the blood test done and found out it was yeast, not gluten, that she
> >> was reacting to. At least I'd heard of people being sensitive to
> >> yeast... it's my friend who is extremely allergic to even minute
> >> amounts of onion that surprised me. I'd never heard of that before.

> > Now THAT would be a fierce challenge.

> Most anything is easy to eliminate once you figure out it's a personal
> poison that's been torturing you for years. It drops off the list of
> foods and you never look back. Been there, done that. For me it was
> wheat which is more ubicuitous than either yeast or onion.
>
> > I can ease off of butter and eggs -
> > but onion? Mercy! I even like to sprinkle in a fine mist of green onion on
> > scrambled eggs.

> I love onions cooked or raw. I can digest the cooked ones. No symptoms
> other than regular indigestion so I still frequently eat raw onions. I
> know the price and in that case I'm willing to pay it.

The problem for her isn't eating at home, it's eating out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2012 3:42 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:37:36 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" < wrote in message > My DIL thought she was gluten intolerant because
>> she felt so much
>>> better when she eliminated things like bread and pizza. After a year
>>> of the elimination diet and still not feeling 100%, she finally had
>>> the blood test done and found out it was yeast, not gluten, that she
>>> was reacting to. At least I'd heard of people being sensitive to
>>> yeast... it's my friend who is extremely allergic to even minute
>>> amounts of onion that surprised me. I'd never heard of that before.
>>>

>> Now THAT would be a fierce challenge. I can ease off of butter and eggs -
>> but onion? Mercy! I even like to sprinkle in a fine mist of green onion on
>> scrambled eggs. Polly

> To be honest, I can't imagine being in her shoes and trying to eat in
> any restaurant. :/

To the diabetics here, speaking of how you feel after eating. I had
only rice for lunch today (no breakfast, only coffee) and a few hours
later I was falling asleep and couldn't keep my eyes open. Even driving
home I had to concentrate to stay awake. I'm not talking about a mid to
late-day sleepy feeling but a need to sleep even when it was impossible
to do so. Could that be a reaction to carbs or a blood sugar reaction?
I'm going to be scheduling for spine surgery tomorrow so I'll have to
have pre-op tests so I'm sure they'll catch it if my BS is off. Last
time it was tested it was about 98.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...

> To the diabetics here, speaking of how you feel after eating. I had only
> rice for lunch today (no breakfast, only coffee) and a few hours later I
> was falling asleep and couldn't keep my eyes open. Even driving home I
> had to concentrate to stay awake. I'm not talking about a mid to late-day
> sleepy feeling but a need to sleep even when it was impossible to do so.
> Could that be a reaction to carbs or a blood sugar reaction? I'm going to
> be scheduling for spine surgery tomorrow so I'll have to have pre-op tests
> so I'm sure they'll catch it if my BS is off. Last time it was tested it
> was about 98.

Definitely. It doesn't mean that that's the cause with you, but when running
high I get extremely sleepy, the I can hardly my eyes open kind, a really
awful feeling IMO. Depends on if you're fasting or not as to whether they
catch a high with your BG, if fasting even diabetics can test normal. If you
want to test for yourself after your surgery, borrow a meter and eat a lot
of carbs, then test at one hour and again at two hours. That should give you
a fair idea to discuss with your doctor, and best of luck with your surgery.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:39:56 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> To the diabetics here, speaking of how you feel after eating. I had
> only rice for lunch today (no breakfast, only coffee) and a few hours
> later I was falling asleep and couldn't keep my eyes open. Even driving
> home I had to concentrate to stay awake. I'm not talking about a mid to
> late-day sleepy feeling but a need to sleep even when it was impossible
> to do so. Could that be a reaction to carbs or a blood sugar reaction?
> I'm going to be scheduling for spine surgery tomorrow so I'll have to
> have pre-op tests so I'm sure they'll catch it if my BS is off. Last
> time it was tested it was about 98.

I'd certainly be tempted to blame it on carbs and a system crash after
a sugar high.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
merryb wrote:
Ross@home wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:
sf wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:
"Polly Esther" wrote:
A recipe for fried onion rings I'd like to test calls for a cup of soda
water.
Polly

The soda would add effervescence.

Or allergic to yeast.

That allergy wouldn't occur to me .. I've not heard of anyone being
allergic to yeast, although I'm sure there must be an allergic
reaction by someone to every substance we can think of.

JB?

LOL- my exact thought!

Yeast occurs naturally in the environment, and in substantial
quantity, yeast can't be avoided... anyone claiming a yeast allergy
also has to claim an air allergy.
So, if you're allergic to pollen, you're allergic to air? maybe it's the pollen in the air. There are many airborne allergens. I think to say one is allergic to the air is a little misleading.

Still, those Belgian brews (Lambics, mainly) that are fermented from airborne yeast are exquisite.

Tonic water in onion rings? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 15 12-08-2016 07:26 PM
Onion rings and an onion heart Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 55 01-05-2012 09:58 AM
Onion rings etc Gill Murray Diabetic 2 03-11-2007 01:59 PM
Onion rings... OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 17 08-06-2006 09:08 PM
Onion Rings Jeff General Cooking 22 11-11-2004 05:32 AM